Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

CubsWoo posted:

If he stays in the rotation his turn would come up Wednesday against the Cubs.

The Clayton Richard CGSHO against the Cubs has already happened and you know it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rand alPaul
Feb 3, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
Puig is hitting, but it's not a big deal because if he had just hit like that in the majors then the Dodgers would not have had to demote him. Also AAA pitchers aren't very good, so Puig isn't really doing anything special. Also he needs to learn his lesson.

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

CubsWoo posted:

If he stays in the rotation his turn would come up Wednesday against the Cubs.

I think it was just supposed to be a spot start like Cahill's but who knows. :shrug:

It would be nice to see him pitch though. :3:

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer

Puig if you do, Puig if you don't.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Popete posted:

For anyone interested in swing mechanics Josh Donaldson does a really good job of explaining modern thinking (rotational hitting) on hitting. You can see the contrast as DeRosa talks about how he never heard these terms or thought about anything but his hands in regards to his swing which is a very old school way of thinking about hitting. Rotational hitting focuses primarily on the hips.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NyWNCrxVzPU

This is really an amazing video. I'm so glad that my serious interest in baseball has coincided with the age where we can watch things like this and have access to stuff like BB-Ref and Fangraphs.

Imagine how it's going to be in 10 years...

Inspector_666 fucked around with this message at 07:26 on Aug 18, 2016

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

Inspector_666 posted:

Imagine how it's going to be in 10 years...

VR BASEBALL :ducksiren:

...actually, that sounds pretty amazing. I'd love to be able to watch a game from the players' points of view, etc.

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

the dbacks have their first winning homestand of the season (this was a 3 game homestand)

Senf
Nov 12, 2006

That video made me miss JD even more :smith:

CubsWoo
Aug 17, 2005

Where the big boys RAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRGH FUCK YOU
Best/worst post-ASB records in each league:

AL
SEA 19-11 (.633)
TOR 18-12 (.600)
BOS/TEX 18-14 (.563)

CHW 12-19 (.387)
LAA/HOU 13-18 (.419)

NL

CHC 23-8 (.742)
CIN 18-12 (.600)
LAD 16-12 (.571)

SFG 9-21 (.300)
SDP 12-19 (.387)
ARI 12-18 (.400)

That huge June run by the Giants has saved their season so far, even on this run they're still 3 games clear of the playoffs. I'm actually surprised how close the WC teams are in the NL, by this time last year the only team within 9 games of the wild card leaders was San Francisco and this year you have have 3 teams within 4 games and 5 within 9.

CubsWoo fucked around with this message at 07:52 on Aug 18, 2016

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Welcome to LA sports media

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Beer Loses more than a game Sunday ...
We lost our Captain, our Teammate, our Friend Kelly Calabro...
Rest in Peace my friend you will be greatly missed..
Apparently the Jays are the first time in over 50 years to win five straight series at Yankee Stadium. Also Happ leads the league in wins.

Happ is going to set the team record for wins, and also win the Cy Young, and it will be great.

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

N: I watched Matt Kemp play outfield in person last night.

V: Holy poo poo, he is cooked. It's just hard to believe someone who played center field (even as bad as that was) not too long ago could be this bad. Maybe he could shed 15 pounds in the off-season and gain some mobility but :barf:

Atomizer posted:

Could someone forward this to Heyward? It literally can't hurt.

I think over-tinkering is actually what got Heyward into this mess. He's tried a new swing like every year since 2012.

tadashi fucked around with this message at 13:19 on Aug 18, 2016

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen

Sydin posted:

Cubs will be skipping Lackey's next start so he can get some additional time to rest his shoulder. Montgomery will get the spot start against the Rockies.

e. Also Coghlan to the DL again apparently? I guess he got hurt in that collision after all. Anyway, Patton up to replace Coghlan.

Is Montgomery stretched out enough to actually start, or is he just going to be the first pitcher in what is essentially a bullpen game?,

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope

Popete posted:

For anyone interested in swing mechanics Josh Donaldson does a really good job of explaining modern thinking (rotational hitting) on hitting. You can see the contrast as DeRosa talks about how he never heard these terms or thought about anything but his hands in regards to his swing which is a very old school way of thinking about hitting. Rotational hitting focuses primarily on the hips.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NyWNCrxVzPU

Josh Donaldson is a wonderful man, and I love him.

Twin Cinema posted:

Josh Donaldson and Gibby had to be separated in the dugout during today's game. Why?

https://twitter.com/SNFaizalKhamisa/status/766009730049380352

JOSH DONALDSON IS A WONDERFUL MAN, AND I LOVE HIM :stwoon:

CubsWoo
Aug 17, 2005

Retail Slave posted:

Is Montgomery stretched out enough to actually start, or is he just going to be the first pitcher in what is essentially a bullpen game?,

Montgomery started 2 games in Seattle right before the trade but both Saturday and Sunday will probably be bullpen games since Hammel will be going Sunday on 4 days rest after throwing 110 pitches Tuesday so Lackey can push his next start back to Wednesday in San Diego.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

CubsWoo posted:

Montgomery started 2 games in Seattle right before the trade but both Saturday and Sunday will probably be bullpen games since Hammel will be going Sunday on 4 days rest after throwing 110 pitches Tuesday so Lackey can push his next start back to Wednesday in San Diego.

Surely nothing can go wrong sending a fly ball pitcher out to pitch on short rest at Coors Field!

In other news Kyle Seager is a baller: http://m.mlb.com/video/v1065024383/sealaa-seager-seals-win-with-marvelous-diving-stop
(I thought I already saw this in SAS but can't find it, so here it is again)

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

YeahTubaMike posted:

Josh Donaldson is a wonderful man, and I love him.

He's a lot softer spoken in the video than I was expecting.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen

CubsWoo posted:

So Maddon is going to completely gently caress the pen then.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!
Maddon's probably hoping for a full game from Hendricks on Friday.

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

Every single year the Ivy League takes a break from fucking up the world through its various alumni to fuck up everyone's bracket instead.

tadashi posted:

N: I watched Matt Kemp play outfield in person last night.

V: Holy poo poo, he is cooked. It's just hard to believe someone who played center field (even as bad as that was) not too long ago could be this bad. Maybe he could shed 15 pounds in the off-season and gain some mobility but :barf:

If Kemp can get back to even below-average range for next year, Inciarte and Mallex Smith between them can make up for most of the rest. He's really just keeping the spot warm for Dustin Peterson late next year or early 2018.

CubsWoo
Aug 17, 2005

Poque posted:

Surely nothing can go wrong sending a fly ball pitcher out to pitch on short rest at Coors Field!

Well here are your options considering Lackey's shoulder:

1) Start Hammel on 4 days rest
2) Start Cahill on 4 days rest after his first start coming off the DL
3) Start Lackey on normal rest and hope his shoulder doesn't explode
4) Start Wood even though he hasn't started since September of last year and is already your workhorse relief guy by miles
5) Put Lackey on the DL (forcing him to miss the rest of August no matter what) and call up Brian "The Streak" Matusz or some other AAA starter

Given the options I say you go with the potato chip kid. Even if they overwork the pen the Cubs have an off day for travel Monday and the 3 scheduled starters for the Padres on T/W/Th are Lester/Lackey/Arrieta which in most normal circumstances would take most of the innings for that series.

CubsWoo fucked around with this message at 15:42 on Aug 18, 2016

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

CubsWoo posted:

4) Start Wood even though he hasn't started since September of last year and is already your workhorse relief guy by miles
5) Put Lackey on the DL (forcing him to miss the rest of August no matter what) and call up Brian "The Streak" Matusz or some other AAA starter

Given the options I say you go with the potato chip kid. Even if they overwork the pen the Cubs have an off day for travel Monday and the 3 scheduled starters for the Padres on T/W/Th are Lester/Lackey/Arrieta which in most normal circumstances would take most of the innings for that series.

we don't have an off day til after the Padres series but I still agree that Hammel is the best option. Just hope our own bats can keep up

edit: wait this doesn't even make sense, with Montgomery making a spot start in place of Lackey, that's a full run through a five person rotation as normal. that's normal rest

Poque fucked around with this message at 16:03 on Aug 18, 2016

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Nail Rat posted:

Maddon's probably hoping for a full game from Hendricks on Friday.

If there's anybody who can get the Cubs through a CG at Coors, it's Kyle "Soft Contact" Hendricks. He'll probably still give up a dong or two, but he's the best option by a mile.

CubsWoo
Aug 17, 2005

Poque posted:

we don't have an off day til after the Padres series but I still agree that Hammel is the best option. Just hope our own bats can keep up

edit: wait this doesn't even make sense, with Montgomery making a spot start in place of Lackey, that's a full run through a five person rotation as normal. that's normal rest

it's 'normal' rest but typically off days and rotation juggling give them an extra day. Hammel has pitched less than half his starts on 4 days rest this year and in those starts he's been good for about 6 innings and 90 pitches which may not be enough after a potentially bullpen emptying Montgomery start. He's a 3.42 ERA pitcher on 4 days rest compared to a 2.32 on 5 and 2.09 on 5+ days rest.

CubsWoo fucked around with this message at 16:47 on Aug 18, 2016

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope

Inspector_666 posted:

He's a lot softer spoken in the video than I was expecting.

:allears:

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

bawfuls posted:

Welcome to LA sports media

Tony Phillips
Feb 9, 2006

Poque posted:

In other news Kyle Seager is a baller: http://m.mlb.com/video/v1065024383/sealaa-seager-seals-win-with-marvelous-diving-stop
(I thought I already saw this in SAS but can't find it, so here it is again)

https://twitter.com/jamfan40/status/766151636020592640?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

trigger warning this next time please

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
N: It's been more or less confirmed that if La Stella hadn't been a big gigantic baby and just reported to the minors like he'd originally been told to, he'd have been called up yesterday to replace Coghlan instead of Patton.

V: :lol:

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

la stella got puiged, imo, and it's funny that team wife beater is trying to play the game the right way all of a sudden.

Xenophon
Jun 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Grimey Drawer
For those who missed it, my av last night was there to kick rear end and chew bubblegum, and he was perfectly capable of doing them both at once tyvm

[game-winning grand slam]

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
I get to go to Royals Twins tonight. I'm in the second row behind the Royals dugout so every time they show a guy on first you should be able to see me. Everyone wave!

secular woods sex
Aug 1, 2000
I dispense wisdom by the gallon.

Xenophon posted:

For those who missed it, my av last night was there to kick rear end and chew bubblegum, and he was perfectly capable of doing them both at once tyvm

[game-winning grand slam]
I'm a Cleveland fan, but I can't be mad at that. It's just too drat cool.

I haven't actually watched the highlight though, because gently caress Hawk Harrelson.

Scob
Jul 17, 2005

i wish he would have swung and missed with the bubble so hawk could go "what the hell are you doin'? What in the HELL are you doin?????"

Dingleberry Jones
Jun 2, 2008
If I'm posting a new thread, it means there is a thread already posted and I failed at using the forum search correctly
So are we still going with "Tommy LaStella was angry because he didn't want to be sent down and he's a big baby" while "Chris Sale didn't want to wear a certain uniform so he took scissors and cut the entire team's uniforms to pieces and he's a cool dude"?

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

CubsWoo posted:

I'd probably just DL Lackey and bring up an arm. They have a 13-game lead and we're talking one more missed start.

If they don't, I don't know why a mix of Montgomery, Cahill, and Wood pitching a bullpen game is that bad.

WienerDog
Apr 8, 2007
Resident Rocking Dachshund

Dingleberry Jones posted:

So are we still going with "Tommy LaStella was angry because he didn't want to be sent down and he's a big baby" while "Chris Sale didn't want to wear a certain uniform so he took scissors and cut the entire team's uniforms to pieces and he's a cool dude"?

No, they are clearly both giant man-babies.

Monicro
Oct 21, 2010

And you could feel his features in the air
A wide smile and perfect hair
He had complete control of the rising tides
And a medicine bag hanging at his side

In the flowing blue world of the death-dealing physician
I posted an article earlier that pretty clearly indicated that La Stella was having a bit of a crisis about what he wanted to do with career/life in general, so I'm not gonna get on his case too hard about it

Monicro
Oct 21, 2010

And you could feel his features in the air
A wide smile and perfect hair
He had complete control of the rising tides
And a medicine bag hanging at his side

In the flowing blue world of the death-dealing physician
Also like if you wanna make fun of a cub for being a petulant crybaby, Arrieta's right there

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Monicro posted:

I posted an article earlier that pretty clearly indicated that La Stella was having a bit of a crisis about what he wanted to do with career/life in general, so I'm not gonna get on his case too hard about it

The crisis seemed to be him not wanting to play in the minors for a few weeks.

• Locked thread