Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

What's the current hotness in single-player survival games? Preferably first person? I've got Subnautica but for some reason it's not clicking with me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
What have you played?

I don't know what to tell you if you don't like Subnautica.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

The thing with Subnautica is that I don't get what I'm supposed to be doing, and resources felt very few and far between. Admittedly I haven't touched it in a while so I should probably give it another chance since I know there's been a bunch of updates.

For the most part I haven't played to many survival games too deeply; I've got a lot of time on Don't Starve, I tried 7 Days but I'm pretty burned out on zombies. I'm really in the mood for something with a good focus on exploration and building.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

I don't even know what to say. Subnautica is by far the best exploration game I've ever played and has base building.

The Long Dark is generally considered the best 'pure' survival game around here but doesn't have any base building.

Music Theory
Aug 7, 2013

Unreal World is pretty neat, but also has some weird design decisions (like movement controls). If you can put up with that kind of thing, you might like it. It's free anyway, or at least it was last time I checked.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Geez guys, just shame me into trying Subnautica again. :(

S w a y z e
Mar 19, 2007

f l a p

Unreal World is amazing, it's the closest thing to a realistic yet challenging "just survive" sim with a ton of depth. The seasons are absolutely beautiful. Highly recommended.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Music Theory posted:

Unreal World is pretty neat, but also has some weird design decisions (like movement controls)

What do you mean? Are you referring to the fact you have to turn to a new facing before moving? If so there is a "Traditional Roguelike" movement mode now (and has been for a long time).

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

Evil Mastermind posted:

Geez guys, just shame me into trying Subnautica again. :(

Or don't and wait until 1.0 in December.

You already own it. It's not going anywhere.

Kraven Moorhed
Jan 5, 2006

So wrong, yet so right.

Soiled Meat

Evil Mastermind posted:

What's the current hotness in single-player survival games? Preferably first person? I've got Subnautica but for some reason it's not clicking with me.

No Man's Sky. :v:

Seriously though, try The Forest if you haven't already.

Music Theory
Aug 7, 2013

Galaga Galaxian posted:

What do you mean? Are you referring to the fact you have to turn to a new facing before moving? If so there is a "Traditional Roguelike" movement mode now (and has been for a long time).

Dang, I need to play that again then.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
I like The Long Dark, but walking is so slow.

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013
HI I LIKE TO GIVE ADVICE ON RELATIONSHIPS

Evil Mastermind posted:

The thing with Subnautica is that I don't get what I'm supposed to be doing, and resources felt very few and far between. Admittedly I haven't touched it in a while so I should probably give it another chance since I know there's been a bunch of updates.

At this point, Subnautica isn't a game; it's a tech demo. If there's a 'goal' in it, that goal would be 'build a neat base and a giant Cyclops submarine.' In order to do these things, you will need to collect resources and tech up in order to collect further away resources and blueprints to further tech up.

I'm looking forward to the end result with actual plot and what not.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

So...does Subnautica have bad pop-in, or is that something on my end?

Because I'm getting really bad pop-in here.

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006

TheCenturion posted:

At this point, Subnautica isn't a game; it's a tech demo. If there's a 'goal' in it, that goal would be 'build a neat base and a giant Cyclops submarine.' In order to do these things, you will need to collect resources and tech up in order to collect further away resources and blueprints to further tech up.

I'm looking forward to the end result with actual plot and what not.

I'm willing to bet there will be no end result, the whole early access system is actually a clever meta RPG where you play the role of a QA tester for years and years.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Evil Mastermind posted:

So...does Subnautica have bad pop-in, or is that something on my end?

Because I'm getting really bad pop-in here.

Subnautica has bad pop-in and addressing it is on the developer's to do list, I think for October.

Fayk
Aug 2, 2006

Sorry, my brain doesn't work so good...

Dyna Soar posted:

I'm willing to bet there will be no end result, the whole early access system is actually a clever meta RPG where you play the role of a QA tester for years and years.

I actually do this professionally (not games) and if you think playing EA games (no matter how disappointing the failed potential can be) is 'work' then I'm sorry to tell you...

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

So, Subnautica...

Wow, this game really opens up once you make the habitat making whatsit, doesn't it? I've put together a simple base and found a couple of blueprints from exploring. Right now I just need more copper so I can make the Seaglide.

I am a little disappointed that the Lab Counter didn't unlock some research options, though.

Music Theory
Aug 7, 2013

Subnautica also really opens up in terms of having big empty voids of really deep ocean. It's a great way to either get rid of thalassophobia or learn that you'll never be a submarine sailor.

Fayk
Aug 2, 2006

Sorry, my brain doesn't work so good...
Played The Forest for the first time this weekend. Had a coop buddy for the whole thing.

Pretty fun! My biggest concern is I'm not sure I'll love that it seems like you're inevitably doomed to have a gameover (increasing number of patrols/difficulty) eventually. The other concern I have is the amount of 'work' (time to chop ### trees) it takes to build a wall vs how quickly mobs can destroy any walls that exist. But fun, and pretty different from the other survivalish games I've played.

Cute detail: When you die (fully) and 'respawn' in a given save in coop, your appearance changes. Not that you can ever see yourself (no mirrors) but you can see it when you have a coop pal.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

Fayk posted:

Played The Forest for the first time this weekend. Had a coop buddy for the whole thing.

Pretty fun! My biggest concern is I'm not sure I'll love that it seems like you're inevitably doomed to have a gameover (increasing number of patrols/difficulty) eventually. The other concern I have is the amount of 'work' (time to chop ### trees) it takes to build a wall vs how quickly mobs can destroy any walls that exist. But fun, and pretty different from the other survivalish games I've played.

Cute detail: When you die (fully) and 'respawn' in a given save in coop, your appearance changes. Not that you can ever see yourself (no mirrors) but you can see it when you have a coop pal.

There's something going on in the bigass hole. Me and my co-op buddy fought tooth and nail to get down there only to reach a point where it said we had to wait for more updates. Getting back out was a pain in the rear end, since were were on hardcore, but we made it.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
Does The Solus Project have crafting elements? It looks like it's at least an exploration game. What do you guys think of it?

For comparison, I love Subnautica. I like Don't Starve. I mostly like The Long Dark.

Go-Gurt For Dinner
Jul 8, 2013
It's more linear story with some minor crafting elements for tools and the like.
Campsites are already there, you are more likely to die from exposure our other environmental effects.
No base building or anything like that.
The story is quite interesting though if you like sci-fi.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Looks like The Long Dark is coming along nicely. Recent Article about how Storymode is progressing.

quote:

“Many of the exterior updates—like more detailed rocks, better grass, trees, etc.—will be gradually released in Sandbox updates,” reads the update post. “Most of the interiors—places like the Carter Dam, the Camp Office, Pleasant Valley Farm, etc.—have been updated with much more detailed interiors.

"Those interiors will be released when we launch Story Mode, so even the fans who are a lot more focused on Sandbox will be get something new to enjoy.”

As we've already learned, Story Mode follows the exploits of bush pilot Will Mackenzie and doctor Astrid Greenwood, and as such Hinterland has also recreated the clothing assets so as to better reflect its updated character designs. A better interface is planned for the Clothing system, on top of improved customisation features.

Pretty aurora. :allears:

Galaga Galaxian fucked around with this message at 06:35 on Sep 4, 2016

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
I LOVE AMERICA AND CAPITALISM DESPITE BEING POOR AS FUCK. I WILL NEVER RETIRE BUT HERE'S ANOTHER 200$ FOR UKRAINE, SLAVA
I played about a dozen hours of Subnautica, only to have the escape pod come unmoored somehow while I was down in a cave and float literally a mile away. I hadn't found any sort of blueprints that would allow me to get by without the thing, so I made a brief attempt to make another go of things at the new location, but quickly discovered that the drifting of my escape pod was accelerating and ten minutes of swimming straight toward the indicator wouldn't bring me back.

Did I do something wrong? :shrug:

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Its a strange glitch where sometimes the gentle drift gets wonky. Its generally suggested to repair the pod (which ceases the drifting) ASAP.

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

Just a funny av. Not a redtext or an own ok.
I played a bit of Kenshi over the weekend. Looks pretty interesting, sort of like a post-apocalyptic Mount&Blade. In some ways it plays like Rimworld, but with individual control over all your dudes. You can go from a single nobody to building your own city, there's a lot of crafting equipment and production lines for various goods, world map is pretty big with more coming soon. There's no terrain deformation (which, imo, is good), you just plop entire buildings down on the map and fill the blueprint with construction materials. There's a decent variety of things to build. Giving automated orders to your dudes looks a bit clunky, but is doable. So far I have a small farm with 4 guys, so I've been doing everything manually anyway, but automating production seems doable.

Keep in mind though, it's in alpha and still kinda incomplete after like 3 years in development, but there's enough stuff in it to have some fun. Very unpolished though, prepare for bugs, crashes, and general shoddyness. Some impressions from my game:

- Started out as a black woman in some religious fanatics' territory. They don't like me very much, but as long as I'm human they won't beat me up I guess (you can also start as a robit or two kinds of mutants or aliens or something)

- Run around until I met some crazy old guy who wanted to join me for free. Combat is pretty lethal and I started with no skill so I took him in. Turned out he's pretty decent. Gave him a big sword I stole from a farm earlier

- Scavenged some cash together and bought enough building materials to set up a small outpost. Since food is pretty expensive I decided to build a farm near a small copper deposit

- Turned out I spread myself too thin - my dudes are starving and I spent all my money on building materials. Mining copper is slow as fuk. The crops might grow before I starve to death, but it will be a close one

- Welp, the crops are growing, but as soon as the plants appeared every wild creature in the vicinity immediately homed in on my plot. I'm talking like 30 lizard things at once

- After a few painful tries, managed to wipe them out with just my two guys. Good news is I got enough fighting skill out of it to more or less safely fend them off in the future. Bad news is that these are happening basically every harvest. Good to know, game

- Saw a band of raiders passing by near my farm. gently caress no, I'm not dealing with this. I locked my dudes in the shack and waited until they go away. I should probably build walls around my place

- Got my squad up to four dudes, selling off the excess post-apocalyptic potatoes is enough to research more technologies and build up my base. Got a stone quarry and a machine to make building materials, now looking into growing cotton and setting up power infrastructure and smelters.

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006
20 bucks for an alpha, no thank you.

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

I think it's at 15 right now, but yeah, I'd probably wait until it's on sale at 10 or something.

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006
Game sounds like fun though and I really like the 80s b-movie aesthetics. I grew up watching all those lovely mad max and conan rip off flicks.

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

After building up my farm some more, I have concluded that this game is pretty much Fallout 4's Settlements: The Game. I also like how it deals away with the standard rpg weapon gallery and just gives you various flavors of giant fuckoff blades.

Matrix-7
Apr 29, 2007

Hey, bro, fade into the shade! You're bad news - obituary column style!
I picked it up during the summer sale but only have a few hours logged so far, what I saw was cool and it's worth a punt because it's quite different to most other games I've played. The first guy I made immediately got thrown in jail though, not sure if that was a bug or not. My next guy I made as a thief and I was sneaking around some farm somewhere. I do like the building & research aspect, I've only made the single-character start so far so I might try one of the other starting options next time around.

But yeah, it's a pretty cool game and I'd definitely recomend picking it up if you like sandbox games where you're left to your own devices.

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006
I uhh, acquired a copy for testing purposes and as I figured, despite looking like utter poo poo the game won't run on my computer even with everything set to fugly.

Oh well, maybe I'll buy it now that it's kinda cheap and play it once I either upgrade or they optimize a bit.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Music Theory posted:

Subnautica also really opens up in terms of having big empty voids of really deep ocean. It's a great way to either get rid of thalassophobia

This is, no poo poo, a reason I play it despite the anxiety attacks.

Matrix-7
Apr 29, 2007

Hey, bro, fade into the shade! You're bad news - obituary column style!

Dyna Soar posted:

I uhh, acquired a copy for testing purposes and as I figured, despite looking like utter poo poo the game won't run on my computer even with everything set to fugly.

Oh well, maybe I'll buy it now that it's kinda cheap and play it once I either upgrade or they optimize a bit.

Yeah the performance was always pretty bad for me too, I think it's because it renders fuckloads of terrain at once and hasn't had a proper optimization pass yet. Good news is they're working on that at the moment so hopefully it'll change soon.

Seashell Salesman
Aug 4, 2005

Holy wow! That "Literally A Person" sure is a cool and good poster. He's smart and witty and he smells like a pure mountain stream. I posted in his thread and I got a FANCY NEW AVATAR!!!!
Has anyone seen a decent video of someone playing Kenshi? All the ones I found on Youtube made it look boring and also the crafting seemed off, like the guy I saw was an escaped slave with literally no possessions but was able to start a campfire and start mining minerals with a non-existent pickaxe at the start of the game.

Rhandhali
Sep 7, 2003

This is Free Trader Beowulf, calling anyone...
Grimey Drawer

Seashell Salesman posted:

Has anyone seen a decent video of someone playing Kenshi? All the ones I found on Youtube made it look boring and also the crafting seemed off, like the guy I saw was an escaped slave with literally no possessions but was able to start a campfire and start mining minerals with a non-existent pickaxe at the start of the game.

No, curiously enough. The game is been sitting on my wish list for about three years now. I like the idea, it looks like something I want to play superficially but they're just dragging their rear end on development don't seem to have enough features for me to justify plunking down for another freaking early access game.

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat
I got Kenshi in some sort of bundle years and years ago. I played it back then and it didn't even have sound. It's neat to see they're still working on it, I guess

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

Seashell Salesman posted:

Campfire is the only free building. Tools are not a thing (yet?), so the animation will show you holding a pickaxe, but you don't need anything to work on a resource. I'm guessing it's so you always can start from scratch, even when you lose all equipment and money. Everything else needs materials, and most crafting also requires power. Your dudes also need to eat.

There's not much content apart from that. Quests and faction interactions are tbd. There are a lot of bandit camps to attack and ruins to explore, but I haven't equipped a decent combat squad yet, so I'm sticking to base building now. Finding recruits is kind of a pain tbh

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fennesz
Dec 29, 2008

Anyone here playing Interloper difficulty on TLD?

I'm on day 5 and I just crafted a Hatchet, a Knife and four arrowheads with 6 Birch and 2 Maple saplings curing. Just picked up some guts and everything should be done at about the same time. I'm mortified I'm going to get overwhelmed by wolves and lose it all. I wouldn't care so much but I had an amazing PV spawn that netted me a Hammer, Down Jacket (!) tons of matches, a Hacksaw and 3 Stims.