Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

Guavanaut posted:

Would it be a terrible thing if Corbyn didn't know the main guys from the latest GTA or whatever?

gta 5 was shite

edit: maybe nws

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zEnl2zkc9mE

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Insect Court
Nov 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Al-Saqr posted:

I like George Galloway quite a bit

This is not a surprise to me!

Nor is it a surprise a not-so-crypto antisemite like Galloway likes The Donald!

quote:

George Galloway: Trump is better than Clinton
http://www.politico.com/story/2016/06/george-galloway-trump-clinton-224001

Al-Saqr posted:

I also used to really hate that stupid fedora he kept wearing around until I found out that he's very self conscious about a series of scars on his head he received when he was physically attacked by a crazy Israel supporter in London.I guess he can be given a pass on that one.

This is the UKMT, I though you guys were all about bashing the fash?

Looke
Aug 2, 2013

Pissflaps posted:

Because most people just aren't that bothered about video games, certainly not those that vote.

Are you going to complain that there should be e-sports at the Olympics next?

they have an esports Olympics that ran parallel to the actual games

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

Looke posted:

they have an esports Olympics that ran parallel to the actual games

Who is 'they'?

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Ant and Dec.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

JeremoudCorbynejad posted:

That reminds me - pissflaps have you joined the labour party yet? I recall you saying you would do if the opportunity to vote against Corbyn comes up.

He pussied out on the premise that Owen Smith wouldn't win.

Looke
Aug 2, 2013

Pissflaps posted:

Who is 'they'?

http://www.egames.org/rio-de-janeiro-egames-showcase-2016.html
http://www.ibtimes.co.uk/egames-british-government-announces-esports-version-olympics-1553499

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

StoneOfShame posted:

I think his biggest problems are more along the lines of being a shameless self promoter to the level of being worse than most of the PLP. His full support for some really hosed regimes. The screaming 'electoral fraud' when he lost his seat in a fashion that even UKIP would struggle to reach. Then there's the whole pretending to he a cat on TV thing.

He may be a good orator and supported some good causes but the bad outweighs the good with him and he's someone a canny politician would distance himself from, I don't suspect Corbyn is dumb enough to bring him on board.

Galloway suffers that regular affliction of those on the left, "X is opposed to the USA & western imperialism & therefore X is good". Assad, Hussein, Gadaffi, you name them, he's stood up for them. His criticism of tinpot dictators is contingent on them not being US allies & it's a very Cold War era mentality. The failure to admit that sometimes the west really is the lesser of two evils.

There's also the fact that everyone I've spoke to who has had him as an MP, in Glasgow & in London, thought he was loving useless & the only times he'd bother to go back to Glasgow was when it was time to campaign, getting driven around in an open-top double decker so he could shout at people without the risk of having to actually hear constituents complaints.

And then there's the utter guff he spouted at the time of the Scottish independence referendum. Convinced that independence would somehow lead to pogroms against Scottish Catholics lead by the perfidious Church of Scotland. Which is such fanciful bullshit that even Tom Clancy would have looked at it & dismissed it as too far fetched to be worth writing fiction about.

brian
Sep 11, 2001
I obtained this title through beard tax.

Pissflaps seems irrevocably stuck in 1997 or something, games are a p big deal these days m8, kinda massive industry and the average age of people playing games is late 30s to early 40s, older if you only count mobile games. I mean really when you look at everything he says it's like 2003 onwards never happened, to think, he lives in a world where 2 Fast 2 Furious was the final fast and the furious film, it's a dark world he lives in.

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

Don't forget sending someone to Pakistan to obtain a copy of an opponents marriage certificate so he could dramatically pull it out of his jacket pocket at a hustings and wave it around as evidence that she was a filthy liar trying to denigrate her own community as her claim that she was forced into marriage at a young age was clearly a racist fabrication cause her marriage certificate said he was 16 when she was married not 15 like she claimed.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

brian posted:

Pissflaps seems irrevocably stuck in 1997 or something, games are a p big deal these days m8, kinda massive industry and the average age of people playing games is late 30s to early 40s, older if you only count mobile games. I mean really when you look at everything he says it's like 2003 onwards never happened, to think, he lives in a world where 2 Fast 2 Furious was the final fast and the furious film, it's a dark world he lives in.

I think Pissflaps just knew that dismissing games would lead to lots of people posting about Pissflaps, his favourite UKMT topic.

brian
Sep 11, 2001
I obtained this title through beard tax.

forkboy84 posted:

I think Pissflaps just knew that dismissing games would lead to lots of people posting about Pissflaps, his favourite UKMT topic.

To be fair he managed to get everyone to seriously argue about the cultural importance of ant and dec for like 3 pages, p top stuff

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

forkboy84 posted:

Galloway suffers that regular affliction of those on the left, "X is opposed to the USA & western imperialism & therefore X is good". Assad, Hussein, Gadaffi, you name them, he's stood up for them. His criticism of tinpot dictators is contingent on them not being US allies & it's a very Cold War era mentality. The failure to admit that sometimes the west really is the lesser of two evils.

It's funny because in those examples, the west made things a whole goddamn lot worse than hussein, assad or gadaffi ever managed.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Speaking of which what games are people playing at the moment? I've started to go back to Xbox 360/PS3 generation JRPGs.

Apparently there's a remake/remaster of Crash Bandicoot 1-3 coming to PS4 next year that's looking pretty balla.

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

This is a silly post with little news value.

Video games are neither more or less culturally valuable than Ant & Dec's Saturday night light entertainment shows. We can all enjoy what we prefer

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

That's not real. It can't be.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

brian posted:

To be fair he managed to get everyone to seriously argue about the cultural importance of ant and dec for like 3 pages, p top stuff
I did like when he compared Britain's Got Talent to the Olympics.

"This is is. This is the moment that he's been preparing for since he was 12. Trained by a master since 14, every sinew in his body tuned to perfection. He picks up the mallets and strikes. He's going for the Lady Gaga cover on glockenspiel, a bold choice. Let's see what the judges think."

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

ant and dec are apparently exactly the asme in real life as they are on tv

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Terry knows what he can do with his bloody chocolate orange...

Tesseraction posted:

Speaking of which what games are people playing at the moment? I've started to go back to Xbox 360/PS3 generation JRPGs.

Apparently there's a remake/remaster of Crash Bandicoot 1-3 coming to PS4 next year that's looking pretty balla.

XCOM2.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

Tesseraction posted:

He pussied out on the premise that Owen Smith wouldn't win.

Hahaha hilarious. Remember after May 2015 when he kept complaining about green voters, saying the reason the Tories won is because people didn't vote labour, and held them all personally responsible?

I can't wait to blame pissflaps for Corbyn winning.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Hahaha hilarious. Remember after May 2015 when he kept complaining about green voters, saying the reason the Tories won is because people didn't vote labour, and held them all personally responsible?

I don't think that's how FPTP works.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Tesseraction posted:

Mount and Blade, mostly. Axe to the face!

Undead Hippo
Jun 2, 2013

Cerv posted:

Video games are neither more or less culturally valuable than Ant & Dec's Saturday night light entertainment shows. We can all enjoy what we prefer

Uh, excuse me but cultural value is measured in £££. Videogames are above Movies, Art, Books, Music and Theatre but below Television.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I would be reluctant to say that things presented by ant and dec are net contributors to society.

Laradus
Feb 16, 2011
Until Wednesday thanks to the BBC and MSM, I had no idea of the importance of Ant and Dec in British culture. :britain:

ultrabindu
Jan 28, 2009
So the independent review into the UK's bulk surveillance program has been released.

Here's the whole thing:

https://terrorismlegislationreviewer.independent.gov.uk/wp-content/uploads/2016/08/Bulk-Powers-Review-final-report.pdf

Here's one of the reports key findings:

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Tesseraction posted:

I bought the new Hitman & have been playing that. It's been fun despite the fact that I am still loving terrible at stealth games. I have also been playing Pro Cycling Manager 2016. It's a very janky game.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

MiddleOne posted:

That's not real. It can't be.

:mufasa:

I still need to play XCOM 1. Curse my backlog!

feedmegin posted:

Mount and Blade, mostly. Axe to the face!

What's that like, anyway?

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Tesseraction posted:

What's that like, anyway?

Not an expert, but I think it hurts.

An axe to the face I mean.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

forkboy84 posted:

I bought the new Hitman & have been playing that. It's been fun despite the fact that I am still loving terrible at stealth games. I have also been playing Pro Cycling Manager 2016. It's a very janky game.

Oh man I played Hitman 2 back in the day but when I try and play it these days I don't know if it's because the game is tied to processor clock speed or something but I'm basically instantly discovered every time.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

ultrabindu posted:

So the independent review into the UK's bulk surveillance program has been released.

Here's the whole thing:

https://terrorismlegislationreviewer.independent.gov.uk/wp-content/uploads/2016/08/Bulk-Powers-Review-final-report.pdf

Here's one of the reports key findings:

Bulk equipment interference is proportional and necessary because people are encrypting their traffic now to protect against criminals doing the exact same thing that we do. Even though it would be illegal and unethical if anyone else did it, even other governments. If it saves one life from terrorists or serious (as opposed to ironic) criminals it's worth it. P.S. Privatize the NHS and scrap services to vulnerable people to fund this bullshit.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

MrL_JaKiri posted:

Ant and Dec are in alphabetical order

Time to kill this pernicious myth.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

I'm currently enjoying Axiom Verge; it's well designed, surprisingly lengthy and the atmosphere is completely on point at all times. The soundtrack is baller.

Also the blank-faced, otherworldly automata have more emotional warmth then most of the people I currently see on TV, so it makes a nice escape from the horror of our own reality.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

I'm currently enjoying Axiom Verge; it's well designed, surprisingly lengthy and the atmosphere is completely on point at all times. The soundtrack is baller.

Also the blank-faced, otherworldly automata have more emotional warmth then most of the people I currently see on TV, so it makes a nice escape from the horror of our own reality.

Ooh nice, could be an excuse to dust off the Vita. Or would you recommend going for the big screen editions?

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

pissflaps is getting all his trolling in quickly for a reason

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2016/aug/19/best-man-who-swindled-8000-from-stag-party-jailed-for-20-months

quote:

A best man who swindled a groom and his friends out of almost £8,000, failed to book flights for a stag do and lied about having terminal cancer has been jailed for 20 months.

Martyn Galvin, 30, was sentenced on Thursday at Teesside crown court and ordered to repay the stolen funds.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Oh so that's why pissflaps can't afford to fly to Portugal for the communist festival anymore.

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

Play the new DOOM, it's fantastic.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."

If Pissflaps were a better leader he'd have convinced us all to get rid of Corbyn.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

None of this happened. This is a story you've invented.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes
yeah you didn't complain directly that they were responsible you just kept Just Asking Questions that implied they were responsible while evading directly saying it, it was a fun and enjoyable discussion that did not make me want to claw my own eyes out or anything

• Locked thread