Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tato
Jun 19, 2001

DIRECTIVE 236: Promote pro-social values
Spider-Man 2099 has a series that has lasted 24 issues (and 5 Secret Wars issues) in the current Marvel climate. Punisher 2099 showed up in Contest of Champions and is now in Spider-Man 2099. The X-Men 2099 showed up at the end of the last X-Men '92 issue. Spider-Ham 2099 is in Web Warriors. loving PAUL PHILLIP RAVAGE showed up in the last issue of Spider-Man 2099 and Ghost Rider 2099 is showing up soon based on the covers. Have we entered the year where nostalgia for the 2099 imprint has grown enough for the characters to start showing up more and more often? I don't know, but I couldn't be happier to see them return. God drat I love that stupid imprint.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer
2099 was the cyber-poo poo and deserves any cyber-resurgence it can cyber-get.

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

Oh my lord, Die Laughing, that's horrible. My sympathies and thoughts are with you.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Yeah, that sucks. Glad you're okay, and hopefully you'll be back on your feet shortly.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Travis343 posted:

I'm really sorry to hear that Die Laughing. I hope you can recover from your brush with crime and maybe wring a true-life Batman story out of it like Dini did. And in the end you marry a beautiful woman who looks like your favorite DC Comics heroine.

Strangely enough the guy at my local shop told me a story like twelve years ago about a woman who bought a bunch of copies of Jingle Belle, and claimed her boyfriend wrote it. A year or so ago, I found out that Misty Lee is from the area. It was actually an interview Dini did for that new Batman book, he mentions flying to Detroit to visit his wife's family.

I really appreciate the out pouring of well wishes, guys. I'm feeling a lot better this morning. Now I only feel shame. Shame because Lobo 1,000,000 reminded me how popular he was in the nineties.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Paul Dini's favorite DC heroine is Zatanna?

Also, sorry about that Die Laughing. Sucks poo poo, hope you're doing okay.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Toxxupation posted:

Uh, you should check out his wife's webpage.

She used to use top hats and stuff more regularly, but still.

redbackground fucked around with this message at 16:05 on Aug 18, 2016

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Toxxupation posted:

Yes
His wife is a dark-haired stage magician who performs (or has) in tails and fishnets.

Gaz-L fucked around with this message at 16:03 on Aug 18, 2016

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Travis343 posted:

in the end you marry a beautiful woman who looks like your favorite DC Comics heroine.

You're a big Joker's Daughter fan, right DL?

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

Toxxupation posted:

Also, sorry about that Die Laughing. Sucks poo poo, hope you're doing okay.

If you are ever reading a story and you wonder why Zatanna is weirdly shoved into that story check the writer's credit and it is most likely Paul Dini.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

Teenage Fansub posted:

You're a big Joker's Daughter fan, right DL?

Hahaha...NO. I was a fan of Mary Jane Watson, but after we broke up I'm into Catwoman now.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
Marvel Unlimited just added the greatest comic title of all time

GIANT SIZED MAN-THING.

Dario the Wop
Oct 11, 2007

Hell-Sent, Heaven-Bent

Madkal posted:

If you are ever reading a story and you wonder why Zatanna is weirdly shoved into that story check the writer's credit and it is most likely Paul Dini.
Not to argue with you, I just wanted to add to this:

1) In Dini's defense, Zatanna's role during his Detective run (before/during R.I.P.) was pretty good.
2) Dini's Zatanna: Everyday Magic is pretty good, too.
3) But yeah, Dini & Timm are very much like Claremont & Byrne, right down to some pet fetishes. However, even with Countdown to the former's (dis)credit, D&T haven't hit lows like post-breakup C&B.
4) Dini's Countdown work should probably be put into the same category as Robinson's Justice League or McKelvie's Teen Titans runs - good old DC editorial interference.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Skwirl posted:

GIANT SIZED MAN-THING.

Only until they make Ultimate Giant Sized Man-Thing.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Die Laughing posted:

Hahaha...NO. I was a fan of Mary Jane Watson, but after we broke up I'm into Catwoman now.

If you have to marry someone Julie Newmar is never a bad choice.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Skwirl posted:

GIANT SIZED MAN-THING.

I literally just learned last week that Marvel/Whoever made a Man-Thing film around the time of Spider-Man 2. I did not know it existed until I happened to see it on the El Rey Network, and well, it was also not very good!

-----------------------------

Die Laughing:
I just want to make sure you saw my note on the last page about sending you those books if you want them.

redbackground fucked around with this message at 20:43 on Aug 19, 2016

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
So let me tell you, if you have the chance to attend a WizardWorld convention you should absolutely pass it the gently caress up.

What a poo poo show. This was more like a giant flea market than a comic-con.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

So it's a Comic-Con Classic Edition then.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
C2E2 is a wonderful show that is actually focused on comic books. WW is more like a cosplay con where you can by steampunk garbage.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

An actual comic book convention sounds horrible.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Aphrodite posted:

I feel this about any kind of convention honestly. Never been to one, never want to go to one.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

I like the kind where comics are announced and I'm in bed.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Aphrodite posted:

Again, C2E2 is great.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

X-O posted:

I feel this about any kind of convention honestly. Never been to one, never want to go to one.

They're just flea markets now.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Aphrodite posted:

Flea markets smell better and have less 40 year olds ogling half-naked teens.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Aphrodite posted:

I like flea markets! But I'm also surrounded by them. What's special about a con and why I want to go so bad is too meet famous people I admire. There never are any in driving distance of me, though.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Awesome-Con here is great. You can go in the dealer room if you're really bored, but there's panels and stuff all day each day on a variety of comics. I went all three days of the show and spent maybe 6 total hours in the dealer room and a good portion of that was waiting in line for BIll Nye to sign my book after his podcast recording.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

Rhyno posted:

So let me tell you, if you have the chance to attend a WizardWorld convention you should absolutely pass it the gently caress up.

What a poo poo show. This was more like a giant flea market than a comic-con.
I was (and may still be, for all I know) on the press list for Wizard World, and Wizard World Philly is within convenient driving distance of my house. I haven't gone for years -- even for free, it simply wasn't worth the money.

Proper conventions are great, though. GenCon is an amazing experience, Origins isn't bad but it just can't measure up. One year I'm gonna luck out and get LA Comic-Con tickets, that's got to be an experience.

joehonkie
Jan 12, 2006

I'm a member of STARS.

Lurdiak posted:

Flea markets smell better and have less 40 year olds ogling half-naked teens.

Having just hit forty after my last convention visit, the second half of your comment stings me like bitter foam cosplay weapons.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Endless Mike posted:

Awesome-Con here is great. You can go in the dealer room if you're really bored, but there's panels and stuff all day each day on a variety of comics. I went all three days of the show and spent maybe 6 total hours in the dealer room and a good portion of that was waiting in line for BIll Nye to sign my book after his podcast recording.

They're holding one in my town Halloween weekend but my interactions with their marketing team have already colored my opinion.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

WickedHate posted:

I like flea markets! But I'm also surrounded by them. What's special about a con and why I want to go so bad is too meet famous people I admire. There never are any in driving distance of me, though.

When they all charge $50+ to meet them your mind will probably change.

Mark Hamill charges $200 for a picture. He's the highest I've seen.

joehonkie
Jan 12, 2006

I'm a member of STARS.
DC Awesome-Con was pretty great. I took my three year old son one day and there was a ton of kid friendly stuff for him.

And he got to meet a few people who do kid-specific stuff and get their stuff signed.

EDIT: signed for free. There's plenty of people there to sign stuff who aren't demanding payouts.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

joehonkie posted:

Having just hit forty after my last convention visit, the second half of your comment stings me like bitter foam cosplay weapons.

Eyes forward, old man.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

joehonkie posted:

DC Awesome-Con was pretty great. I took my three year old son one day and there was a ton of kid friendly stuff for him.

And he got to meet a few people who do kid-specific stuff and get their stuff signed.

EDIT: signed for free. There's plenty of people there to sign stuff who aren't demanding payouts.

The comic book writers and artists, with the exception of infamous rear end in a top hat Neal Adams, generally do free autographs. It's the celebrities who charge.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
The people I really wanna meet are voice actors from video games and anime.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

WickedHate posted:

The people I really wanna meet are voice actors from video games and anime.

Ask them why they suck

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Lurdiak posted:

Ask them why they suck

I don't plan on seeing Troy Baker!

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

What the hell kind of person doesn't like flea markets?

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

redbackground posted:

Die Laughing:
I just want to make sure you saw my note on the last page about sending you those books if you want them.

I'll definitely get in touch when I get around to getting PM's. Those books sound fun, and I really appreciate the gesture. I still owe you one for that Superman Beyond 3D av you made. I should go back to that, I'm about done with Morrison's undies

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Die Laughing posted:

I'm about done with Morrison's undies

Nooooooooo

• Locked thread