Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

This is your thread to discuss comics for August. You can talk about how you're upset that Luke Cage isn't on Netflix yet, or that Captain America is voting Trump due to the Red Skull. I'm personally going to try to catch up on several series I've let slip behind this month, including the IDW Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles comic, and Ms. Marvel.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

I loving wish August had any connections to autumn any more. Round these parts we're lucky if October brings any cool days and colorful leaves.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I think I'm finally only a week behind on reading comics, so that's a good thing.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

I asked this towards the end of July but nobody really responded. What are the good books to read out of the Dark Horse pantheon of Alien/Predator/80s action franchise comic books?

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

I read the Aliens miniseries by the Mask guys, but it wasn't as crazy as I thought Aliens by the Mask guys would be.
It did have a cigar smoking robot Alien, though.

Alien Salvation is drawn by Mike Mignola, so get that.

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.
Still waiting for the day we get an Alien vs Bulletproof tale.

"Chestburst this, butthorn!"
*McBain reaches down his throat and rips the embryo out, flushes it down the toilet while the Queen gazes admiringly and swoons at his all-conquering manliness*

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Travis343 posted:

I asked this towards the end of July but nobody really responded. What are the good books to read out of the Dark Horse pantheon of Alien/Predator/80s action franchise comic books?

Not quite the answer you were probably hoping for, but honestly, just grab some of those DH paperback omniboo that they put out for Aliens, Predator, and Aliens vs Predator and go to town. Everything is almost always self-contained, so it really doesn't matter the order. I honestly can't think of a single miniseries/one-shot that was heads and shoulders above all the rest :/ They all kind of run together in my mind. Aliens: Labyrinth was cool, iir. There was one where the aliens take over an super-rich, white, old-person hospice/resort and was goofy, semi-cheesecakey fun but I can't remember the title.

You'd probably be interested in the Further Adventures of Not-Hicks and Not-Newt, Outbreak and then Nightmare Asylum, which are both in Aliens Omnibus 1.

Batman versus Predator is probably the best by far, honestly. poo poo, Part II is pretty great too. I also enjoy Part III a bunch. You should just binge those no matter what.

redbackground fucked around with this message at 14:56 on Aug 1, 2016

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

I can only remember Aliens: Music of the Spears. Ninjas vs Aliens.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

A couple years back I got it into my head that I should try and watch all the episodes of the 1987 Ninja Turtles cartoon, since I'd already watched every episode of the boring-rear end lame-rear end boring dull not interesting at all boring lame-o 2003 one.

Well, there's about a million episodes of that show, and I gave up on season 4 or so, because everything past the first season is shittily-written (even for a show that doesn't take itself seriously at all) and broadcast standards decided hitting was something ninjas shouldn't do.

Recently, I've been reading episode reviews of the show, and I'm shocked to see that the stuff I gave up on and the really weird final two season where a new villain replaced Shredder weren't even the dumbest poo poo in the series. Just straight up recycling Flinstones plots.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Haha I read Batman vs Predator a while back in a mad fugue of Batman deep catalog diving. I remember thinking "man this is so much better than anything called Batman vs. Predator has any right to be."

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Travis343 posted:

Haha I read Batman vs Predator a while back in a mad fugue of Batman deep catalog diving. I remember thinking "man this is so much better than anything called Batman vs. Predator has any right to be."
It's a legit great comic, period.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

redbackground posted:

It's a legit great comic, period.

I was coming off of like, Batman/Spawn so I was not expecting a good comic whatsoever.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Batman vs Alien has very very good art.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Lurdiak posted:

Batman vs Alien has very very good art.
It really does--can't go wrong with Bernie Wrightson.

Travis343, just read all the Batman/Superman/Alien/Predator comics, you'll have a better time.

No, I don't own every single one of them, nope, no sir.

redbackground fucked around with this message at 15:11 on Aug 1, 2016

Dario the Wop
Oct 11, 2007

Hell-Sent, Heaven-Bent
This is based on my own recollection (haven't read these in years), so throw IIRC all over the place:

Aliens are all over the place in quality. Early series feature stuff like a Xenomorph homeworld and the queen's "royal jelly" being used as a narcotic. I'm a sucker for the various Aliens vs. Predator series, I like them all so I have a clear bias.

The various Predator series were all just kinda "meh." No details pop up.

RoboCop vs. Terminator is great, even if you think it sucks it does so in crazy, fun ways. None of the other RoboCop stories are good, and I think they remain the only licensed franchise for which they didn't release an omnibus.

Don't recall anything about the Terminator series, other than 3 T-800's and 1 human hostage time travel to the then-present. The poor bastard was used as a gun-mule, and then was left in an alley with his stomach ripped open.

None of The Thing (from Another World) stories are good, and Eternal Vows in particular has no idea how the Thing really worked. Plus it was purple. That one was terrible.

Buffy the Vampire Slayer, pre-Season 8 (everything in the omniboo) are all lame-to-decent but pointless. Angel vs. Frankenstein by John Byrne was cool, though. Love the Season 8 and after reboot, though I haven't gotten to read Angel & Faith spin-off.

Indiana Jones were pretty good, nothing too crazy outside what the trilogy gave us (no aliens or Dr. Strange-style magic).

So, check out AvP, Indy, and RoboCop vs. Terminator (and Buffy S8+ if you liked the show), or whatever. Enjoy.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Travis343 posted:

Indiana Jones is pretty good.

joehonkie
Jan 12, 2006

I'm a member of STARS.

redbackground posted:

It really does--can't go wrong with Bernie Wrightson.

I did not know this. The things I learn from you sages.

On my to-read list.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer
I guess Xenimorph isn't around anymore, because he's read all of those dark horse comics

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
The very first AvP comic is probably the best. Everything after that follows the story of the girl who ends up joining the Predators sucks. There's also a good one shot with some guys in a space station talking about nature and the strong vs the weak over a vignette of some Predators hunting xenomorphs.

I keep hearing Green Lantern vs Aliens is good but I haven't read it yet. Same with AvPvTerminator. Justice League vs Predators sucks, but in an almost comical way.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Superman VS Terminator is the most insane of all those crossovers. Sadly since DH no longer has those rights they couldn't reprint it in the new Dark Horse Superman book.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Rhyno posted:

Superman VS Terminator is the most insane of all those crossovers. Sadly since DH no longer has those rights they couldn't reprint it in the new Dark Horse Superman book.

Was that the one where Superman goes to the future and meets Future Steel?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

ImpAtom posted:

Was that the one where Superman goes to the future and meets Future Steel?

If memory serves, yes. It was right at the height of post Return of Superman fever so you had Steel, Superboy, Supergirl, the MCU. Pretty much every major Superman character had a 1 panel appearance in issue 1.

Dario the Wop
Oct 11, 2007

Hell-Sent, Heaven-Bent

WickedHate posted:

There's also a good one shot with some guys in a space station talking about nature and the strong vs the weak over a vignette of some Predators hunting xenomorphs.
That's actually the prologue to the first mini-series. It was a 3-part story in DHPresents and then was reprinted as AvP Vol. 1 #0.

quote:

Justice League vs Predators sucks, but in an almost comical way.
Oh God yes. That's the one with Super-Terminators. One has Plastic Man's powers and turned himself into an airplane-thing.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Endless Mike posted:

I think I'm finally only a week behind on reading comics, so that's a good thing.

Last week I dedicated myself to catching up on marvel u books I missed and slammed through all the stuff i wanted to read from April on and now I'm up to the last week of June and i think I'll be able to catch up by next week and I'm excited to finally be able to enter the marvel thread again!

As for the aliens stuff, I remember liking the comics well enough. There was one particular story I really liked that was like an alternate alien 3 where hicks and an older newt get abducted by a crazy cmarine who tried to domesticate a Queen. I also read a bunch of books which were adapted into comic series or maybe vice versa. But then again this was like 15 years ago so they could all actually be crap lol

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
Linkara did a review on Superman vs Terminator and that's my only exposure to it. I remember it being sort of dumb as hell but in the same category as Justice League vs Predator.

Dario the Wop posted:

That's actually the prologue to the first mini-series. It was a 3-part story in DHPresents and then was reprinted as AvP Vol. 1 #0.

Ah. Well, I really loved it. I need to get my hands on the first AvP omnibus, I think that's where I first read it.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

WickedHate posted:

Justice League vs Predators sucks, but in an almost comical way.
The only good thing is the cover, which oversells everything.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
OH ALSO: Archie vs Predator. That's actually genuinely really good.

redbackground posted:

The only good thing is the cover, which oversells everything.

It sucks because it's such a great premise. They give the predators super powers to match up with each hero(why not just give them all the powers? or at least all Supermans?) but how cool would it be if you actually had normal predators being a legitimate threat to the heroes? Sure, they might need more tech than in the movies here and there, but they would love punching above their weight.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
There was some kind of Alien, Predator, Prometheus set of minis a while back that was fun.

In the Prometheusish one a [/spoiler]Synthdroid or whatever gets black goo'd and develops consciousness, as well as a hyperadapting body. His "friend" injects him with goo to learn the secret of life and stop his incurable cancer. It turns into a stalker movie with the Goodroid[/spoiler]. It was fun.

I just read through Before Watchmen yesterday and I'm amazed the Doc Manhattan mini took something mildly interesting and made it terrible. Rorschach was ok, I enjoyed Moloch, and I ended up really liking the Minutemen books. Ozy had good art. I know I'm late but is the opinion of these any much more than "Why oh god why were these made".

Whoring out other Moore works in the backsheet was some passive aggressive poo poo as well. Well done, DC.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

FilthyImp posted:

There was some kind of Alien, Predator, Prometheus set of minis a while back that was fun.

In the Prometheusish one a [/spoiler]Synthdroid or whatever gets black goo'd and develops consciousness, as well as a hyperadapting body. His "friend" injects him with goo to learn the secret of life and stop his incurable cancer. It turns into a stalker movie with the Goodroid[/spoiler]. It was fun.

I just read through Before Watchmen yesterday and I'm amazed the Doc Manhattan mini took something mildly interesting and made it terrible. Rorschach was ok, I enjoyed Moloch, and I ended up really liking the Minutemen books. Ozy had good art. I know I'm late but is the opinion of these any much more than "Why oh god why were these made".

Whoring out other Moore works in the backsheet was some passive aggressive poo poo as well. Well done, DC.

I want to say I enjoyed the Silk Spectre one at the time, but now that I think about it, I honestly can't even remember how it ended or what the main conflict was even about. They were all highly inessential comics with pretty good art, that have been quickly resigned to the quarter bins (except Manhattan because speculation).

Jedi
Feb 27, 2002

Travis343 posted:

Dario the Wop posted:

RoboCop vs. Terminator is great, even if you think it sucks it does so in crazy, fun ways.

Seconding this one. Granted, I haven't re-read it in about 20 years, but I recall it being worth the read.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Yeah Robocop vs Terminator is wild-rear end, worth it just to see what happens when Frank Miller and Walt Simonson collide

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

When you're lost out there and you're all alone, a light is waiting to carry you home
WildCATS/Aliens is at least historically noteworthy, as it's where Warren Ellis killed off all the Stormwatch characters he didn't like so he could reboot the book as The Authority.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Senior Woodchuck posted:

WildCATS/Aliens is at least historically noteworthy, as it's where Warren Ellis killed off all the Stormwatch characters he didn't like so he could reboot the book as The Authority.

The Darkness/Batman is also canon to The Darkness, and, for at least a good while, Silver Surfer/Green Lantern was canon for both sides since it was basically a prequel to DC vs Marvel.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Senior Woodchuck posted:

Kind of funny how DC was shortsighted enough to not secure the reprint rights for that issue.

Castor Poe
Jul 19, 2010

Jar Jar is the key to all of this.

Travis343 posted:

It's been ages since I read it, but I remember being incredibly impressed by Aliens vs Judge Dredd.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Rhyno posted:

Kind of funny how DC was shortsighted enough to not secure the reprint rights for that issue.

DC as gently caress.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Endless Mike posted:

DC as gently caress.

You'd think that a book that set the stage for the Authority would be important to them right? There was an edition of that final Stormwatch trade that had it reprinted, available for one printing of the book but oddly they didn't bother for the two volume HCs they released a few years ago.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

My favorite comic with Indiana Jones in it is that issue of Star Wars Tales, where Han and Chewie crash land on Earth, Han dies, and hundreds of years later, Chewie is the basis of the Bigfoot myth, and Indiana Jones discovers the crashed Millennium Falcon and Han's corpse.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Agent_grey
Jan 8, 2007

Scrub-a-Dub-Dub!
Im going on vacation to chill out by the pool in spain. Any recommendations for digital comics I should have a crack at? I heard there is comicsology unlimited but the selection isnt large and theres little compensation for it for creators. Marvel unlimited ive tried in the past but I'm usually reading marvel and fancy something else. Are there any humble bundle like comic packaging?

Do tell!

• Locked thread