Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Roth
Jul 9, 2016

So apparently I'm entitled to $18 thanks to UPS losing a lawsuit for breaking labor laws.

I'm going to use it to buy The Omega Men trade.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

trashbuilder
Dec 26, 2013

Look at all the poor opinions I have
On the topic of conventions, I hated conventions for a long time as they seemed like a way to suck up money and all the comics people who were there were not really people I was into and the the other people things are just pointless. Until TCAF.

TCAF is the Toronto Comics Arts Festival, it is free to attend, takes place in Toronto's biggest library, discourages cosplay, and focuses a lot on indie and alt comics. With still main stream stuff there, you will have a Drawn and Quartly booth next to Chip Zdarsky next to THe Artist from Low next to some web comics guy next to some bonkers illustrator. It is the most fun. Highly suggest coming out, even if it is just to see some of the amazing panels

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

What do they use to discourage cosplay, and can the technology work outside of Canada?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

I never would have imagined there's convention snobs but here we are.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Squizzle posted:

What do they use to discourage cosplay, and can the technology work outside of Canada?

"Please don't wear costumes, this is a library and not that kind of event"

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Aphrodite posted:

I never would have imagined there's convention snobs but here we are.

Have you ever been to a Wizard show?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Squizzle posted:

It must, because SPX here doesn't have cosplayers, either. I think saying "this isn't about superheroes or animes" is about all you need to do.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Endless Mike posted:

It must, because SPX here doesn't have cosplayers, either. I think saying "this isn't about superheroes or animes" is about all you need to do.

That doesn't exclude Homestucks though.

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

Can we discourage them comprehensively, not just from wearing costume? Like, if you ever cosplay, you end up quitting a few credits short of your BA because what's the point, and settle for a loveless marriage.

StumblyWumbly
Sep 12, 2007

Batmanticore!
I really like going to MICE - Mass Indie Comics Expo. I always spend way too much on books and art that I never would have found elsewhere, and it's right down the street from my house. Only draw back is they're kind of growing out of the space.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I have grown to really dislike cosplay. I mean, I get it, your parents didn't love you. That doesn't mean I should have to put up with 25 lovely Deadpool's while I try to meet George Perez.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
Most cosplayers I've met are really socially awkward. When my buddy and I met Fabian Nicieza at Florida Supercon this summer, he had a sign that he would charge for signatures on anything Deadpool or X-Force related, but not for anything else. I brought him the early '90s Adventures of Captain America miniseries he did with Kevin Maguire (who signed my copies back when I was a teenager), and he seemed overjoyed to sign something that wasn't Deadpool-related.

We had a really nice chat with him for almost ten minutes, but we kept getting interrupted by some kid in a Deadpool costume that kept coming by and bellowing "Dad! Dad! DAD! DADDY!" At one point, Fabian yelled back at the kid "Shut the gently caress up and leave the grownups alone, son!"

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

Jordan7hm posted:

"Please don't wear costumes, this is a library and not that kind of event"

Libraries across America have been putting on miniature "cons" the past few years, with admins at other libraries all leaning over their younger staff and asking, "So how about those conventions, huh? What if our library had one?" The result is usually a day-long mixture of cosplay contest, artist/vendor alley, some local talent, a woefully misplaced local author or two ("Why don't these pop culture nerds want to read my book? Historical fiction is its own form of cosplay!"), a make-your-own-comics lesson for the kiddies, and if they're lucky, a big name that draws an attentive crowd.

Among larger conventions though, I always have a good time at C2E2 and HeroesCon. They'll attract some celebrities for the casual crowd, but also plenty of talent for panels and signings. Nothing that overpowers the show itself. Something for everyone, and without drowning in a mob like at the big Comic-Cons or DragonCon.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Deadpool cosplayers are usually pretty bad. We did a Black Widow photoshoot for Black Widow Day last year, and it was all sorts of wonderful. It was organized by myself and a couple actual (not internet) models.

Let the freaks and geeks have their fun. They're a colorful distraction from the faded super hero shirts stretched over guts full of bad eating habits, and a sedimentary life style.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
Anyone know a good place to buy Euro comics in English online?

My uncle sent me Orient Gateway and No Pasaran vol. 1 by Vittorio Giardino awhile back and I finally got around to reading them so I checked Amazon and was excited to see No Pasaran vol 3 was only like 4 bucks, but whoever was reselling vol 2 wanted like $50, and the cheapest so far I've seen for it so far is $30 on ebay and I don't want to pay twice the list price for a 64 page comic.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Die Laughing posted:

Deadpool cosplayers are usually pretty bad. We did a Black Widow photoshoot for Black Widow Day last year, and it was all sorts of wonderful. It was organized by myself and a couple actual (not internet) models.

Let the freaks and geeks have their fun. They're a colorful distraction from the faded super hero shirts stretched over guts full of bad eating habits, and a sedimentary life style.

Did you guys have a ton of people in poorly assembled costumes show up on FCBD and then not leave?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Thankfully with Harley Quinn's increase in popularity over the past few years, women have been able to steal some of the spotlight of being the most obnoxious cosplayers from Deadpool cosplayers!

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Die Laughing posted:

Let the freaks and geeks have their fun.

That resulted in Sausage Party and The Interview though

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

People who work in comic book stores should not throw stones.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
:shrug: I've been going to Chicago based cons since 1994 and this was easily the worst experience I have ever had.

David D. Davidson
Nov 17, 2012

Orca lady?
You know reading the blow back from the rumor that Zendaya's character in Spiderman Homecoming is Mary Jane makes me really wish they got a back actor to play The Punisher in Daredevil. That really would have been a great gently caress you to a good portion of his fanboys.

And you know what, it actually could have worked for the character too.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

David D. Davidson posted:

You know reading the blow back from the rumor that Zendaya's character in Spiderman Homecoming is Mary Jane makes me really wish they got a back actor to play The Punisher in Daredevil. That really would have been a great gently caress you to a good portion of his fanboys.

I dunno, "black guy goes on murderous rampage, clashes with the more moderate and heroic white guy" could look a little weird.

David D. Davidson
Nov 17, 2012

Orca lady?
Yeah but on the other hand white racists loving love The Punisher. So the meltdown would have been pretty great.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Yeah but on the other hand white racists loving love The Punisher. So the meltdown would have been pretty great.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Skwirl posted:

Anyone know a good place to buy Euro comics in English online?

Comixology seems to have a nice selection of French comics now.
https://www.comixology.com/Humanoids/comics-publisher/4483-78?ref=c2VhcmNoL2luZGV4L2Rlc2t0b3Avc2xpZGVyTGlzdC9pbXByaW50U2xpZGVy
https://www.comixology.com/Cinebook/comics-publisher/8925-0?ref=Y29taWMvdmlldy9kZXNrdG9wL2JyZWFkY3J1bWJz
https://www.comixology.com/Delcourt-in-English/comics-publisher/126-120?ref=c2l0ZS9saXN0L2Rlc2t0b3AvbGlzdC9wdWJsaXNoZXJMaXN0
https://www.comixology.com/Magnetic-Press/comics-publisher/1954-0

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Man, the current comic Humble Bundle is a ton of older Dark Horse books.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Disney subsidiary ESPN had Disney subsidiary Marvel do some covers for the start of college football:

(I guess having a Confederate soldier fight an Indian might look bad)

I hope the Tigers win.

Rags Morales is the only signature I recognize. It's also the most obvious. These are related.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
The first one is Tom Grummet and the last one is Tom Raney.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
loving lol at the literal redskin. That was a no win scenario from the start.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Excuse you, that is a garnetskin.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Third is Sean Chen.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Rhyno posted:

Did you guys have a ton of people in poorly assembled costumes show up on FCBD and then not leave?

No, they just passed through mostly. I was in my Batman costume, we had a Thor and Miles Morales that were friends of ours hang out for a bit, and the Detroit Ghostbusters were out front for most of the day. They even brought the Ghostbusters arcade game I hadn't played in 25 years.

We don't get a lot of weirdies at our store. Just the usual pervs, and people who think they're nineties books are worth anything.

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

You really are a louse...

WickedHate posted:

loving lol at the literal redskin. That was a no win scenario from the start.

The winning move is not to make ESPN comics.

Granted, that's not a move Disney would not take, but it's there.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

DrProsek posted:

The winning move is not to make ESPN comics.

Granted, that's not a move Disney would not take, but it's there.

We're this close to a SuperPro reboot as a young college athlete and I can't say no to that.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

Endless Mike posted:

Disney subsidiary ESPN had Disney subsidiary Marvel do some covers for the start of college football:
Like, I know you're not supposed to like how six corporations own the entire world

but gently caress it, that's an awesome sentence and I'm happy we're in a world where it makes sense.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Die Laughing posted:

No, they just passed through mostly. I was in my Batman costume, we had a Thor and Miles Morales that were friends of ours hang out for a bit, and the Detroit Ghostbusters were out front for most of the day. They even brought the Ghostbusters arcade game I hadn't played in 25 years.

We don't get a lot of weirdies at our store. Just the usual pervs, and people who think they're nineties books are worth anything.

I am super jealous. We had some young teens who hung around for hours and kept trying to step behind the free tables and act like they worked there. My boss finally had enough and kicked them out after hour 5 of loitering.

joehonkie
Jan 12, 2006

I'm a member of STARS.

WickedHate posted:

We're this close to a SuperPro reboot as a young college athlete and I can't say no to that.

Or Kickers, Inc.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

This actually reminds me of something: when Daredevil season two came out, I can recall reading a comment somewhere on the first Punisher trial episode which remarked that, in the jury selection scene, the jurors denouncing the Punisher as a lunatic were white, while the ones who defended him were black.

Is that accurate? I can't remember, I haven't watched the episodes since they came out.

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

Political shitposting in C-SPAM has taken up so much of my forums time lately, god drat.

I miss you, BSS buds. 😘

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

haitfais
Aug 7, 2005

I am offended by your ham, sir.

trashbuilder posted:

On the topic of conventions, I hated conventions for a long time as they seemed like a way to suck up money and all the comics people who were there were not really people I was into and the the other people things are just pointless. Until TCAF.

TCAF is the Toronto Comics Arts Festival, it is free to attend, takes place in Toronto's biggest library, discourages cosplay, and focuses a lot on indie and alt comics. With still main stream stuff there, you will have a Drawn and Quartly booth next to Chip Zdarsky next to THe Artist from Low next to some web comics guy next to some bonkers illustrator. It is the most fun. Highly suggest coming out, even if it is just to see some of the amazing panels

Winnipeg's biggest library held its own comics festival a few weeks ago, directly inspired by TCAF. First time, so it was super tiny. 100% local creators which was pretty cool. Winnipeg's got some impressive indie talent bubbling under the surface. It was a bit strange being within two degrees of acquaintance with literally everyone in attendance, but also kind of neat.

• Locked thread