Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
koolkal
Oct 21, 2008

this thread maybe doesnt have room for 2 green xbox one avs
They made a bunch of changes to the game a few months ago to create more variance which turned a lot of us off

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
Just wait till this game launches on Steam.

RoboCicero
Oct 22, 2009

"I'm sick and tired of reading these posts!"
Yeah, I've been playing consistently and still try to get gold every season. Not much to really talk about is the thing, and we don't have a big enough group on the forums to do the low-level deck building / bickering that the Hearthstone thread can support. I am excited for the expansion though! More faction cards can't go amiss.

Also the official twitter has been spoiling cards from the expansion every day since monday up until (I assume) the release. Here's today's:
https://twitter.com/PlayDuelyst/status/763057586379730944

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

Live by the pun - Die by the pun

Last season I actually didn't get gold cause I played gauntlet mostly and my interest also wavered since I kinda wait for the expansion but speaking off

:gizz:

disgustingly good

The other two revealed cards look gimmicky but decent enough

Tin Tim fucked around with this message at 19:05 on Aug 9, 2016

Kronikle
Jan 31, 2005

yeah well that's just like your opinion, man
Going along with the shadow creep changes (only deals 1 damage regardless of how many creeps you have on board), some more new cards in the expansion to support it:

Really looking forward to this Shadow Creep rework. Seems like they can do a lot more with the mechanic now that it's not so binary.

RoboCicero
Oct 22, 2009

I wonder if a "fragile" minion will move to 3 health from 2, considering the proliferation of ways to inflict 1 damage easily at range.

Anyway, more Shimzar reveals continue -- put quick descriptions of the spoilers not covered so far below. Divine Bond is being moved to 3 mana from 2 as one of the first announced balance changes. Also, Battle Pets are called out as a tribe. Expansion comes out 8/30, with spoilers happening just about every day it seems.

Snow Rippler: Vanar 3 mana 3/4 -- Infiltrate: Whenever this minion damages a General put a random Battle Pet into your hand.
White Asp: Vanar 4 mana artifact -- +3 attack. Whenever your general destroys a minion summon a 3/3 wall on that space.
Hura: Vanar 5 mana 3/4 -- Grant a friendly Vespyr minion Celerity.
Winter's Wake: Vanar 8 mana spell -- Give all Walls +4/+4 and allow them to move.
Whisper Of The Sands: Vetruvian 2 mana spell -- Create a wind dervish near each friendly Obelysk. Draw a card.
Pantheran: Vetruvian 6 mana 6/6 -- Costs 0 mana if you've cast each Wish spell this game.
Circle of Desiccation: Vetruvian 8 mana spell -- Destroy all non-structure minions.
Katara: Songhai 1 mana 1/3 -- Backstab 3
Shadow Waltz: Songhai 1 mana spell -- Reduce the cost of all Backstab minions in your hand by 1 and give them +1/+1.
Battle Paddo: Songhai 3 mana 2/4 -- Whenever this minion takes damage deal 1 damage to all enemy minions.
Ironcliffe Hearth: Lyonar 4 mana spell -- Transform a friendly minion into a Ironcliffe Guardian.
Nature's Confluence: Magmar 5 mana spell -- Summon 4 copies of a random Battle Pet in a 2x2 area.
Arcane Devourer: Abyssian 7 mana 8/4 -- The next minion you play this turn costs 1 mana.
Z0r: Neutral 2 mana 2/1 Battle Pet -- Dying Wish: Put a random Mech into your hand.
Golden Mantella: Neutral 3 mana 4/2 -- Opening Gambit: Put a random Battle Pet into your hand.
Inquisitor Kron: Neutral 5 mana 4/6 -- Provoke. Each time you replace a card summon a 2/2 prisoner with a random ability nearby.

Too much to go into and I'm sure things will continue to be shaken up as more cards are announced, doubly so given only one battle pet has been announced and like three "random battle pet" cards released.

Shadow Waltz seems to provide too much value and can make really easy explosive first turns with Katara (Backstab 3 seems a bit much given it's a 1 mana card). Interesting to see if Songhai gets some cards that ping their own units, given that Battle Paddo and Lantern Fox both react on unit damage.

Part of Shimzar is supposedly to add archetypes to existing decks. Ramp Abyssian is a focus of Arcane Devourer, and we see stuff like "unit spells Lyonar", "battle pet Magmar", "wall Vanar", "structure Vetruvian", "replace decks" getting cards that appear to support them.

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

RoboCicero posted:

Ironcliffe Hearth: Lyonar 4 mana spell -- Transform a friendly minion into a Ironcliffe Guardian.
lmao how can this be a card. I thought the legendary was bonkers but drat lyon just gonna poo poo all over your cute combo decks and provoke everything all the time forever. Oh you had removal for three guardians in your deck? That's nice but I play six of them friend

Also yeah, Shadow Waltz looks sorta broken at first sight

Still excited for new cards and stuff though

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Always gotta pay it forward.

Tin Tim posted:

lmao how can this be a card. I thought the legendary was bonkers but drat lyon just gonna poo poo all over your cute combo decks and provoke everything all the time forever. Oh you had removal for three guardians in your deck? That's nice but I play six of them friend

Also yeah, Shadow Waltz looks sorta broken at first sight

Still excited for new cards and stuff though

I was thinking the same thing. I haven't played in quite some time but this update makes me want to fire it up again.

Avasculous
Aug 30, 2008
In case anyone else missed this, Gauntlet is bugged right now to not offer the unlockable faction cards, which include some pretty big staples as it turns out: Tempest, Silverguard Knight, Inner Focus, Plasma Storm, Chromatic Cold, Fenrir Warmaster, Shadow Nova, and probably a bunch of others I'm forgetting.

Tin Tim posted:

I don't know. The goodness of Ironcliffe Guardians may make up for it, but by typical card game conventions that one is kind of awful.

It's 2 cards and 4 mana + the target's cost, so you're basically grossly overpaying for a 5-mana minion that doesn't even have one of its abilities (airdrop).

That's on top of the obvious caveat that it's a dead draw with no minions in play and a pretty bad draw if you only have expensive minions in play.

There's some added utility in healing the target and having a hasted Guardian (if the minion didn't get played/attack this turn), but I'm skeptical that that outweighs the above.

The one nasty thing I can see it enabling is nuking someone with Divine Gift from hand... but you need 7 mana, 2 specific cards in hand, and a creature in attack range of your opponents general to do it, which seems fair.

BigLeafyTree
Oct 21, 2010

Z0r could be cute if Mechazor itself is a card you can pull.

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

Of course it's not an efficient card but the stat ramp you can poo poo out ahead of curve is kinda gross and I'm okay with overpaying for that. Sweet combo with bloodtear too if you snag a crystal. I mean I'm just spittballing here but I'm gonna build a super greedy lyon tank grinder deck that forces you to answer all of my meat

kung fu jive
Jul 2, 2014

SOPHISTICATED DOG SHIT
These daily reveals and special reveals on streams and online video game rags are really great for hype building. I am officially excited for August 30th and I haven't played in a few months now.

Kronikle
Jan 31, 2005

RoboCicero posted:

Inquisitor Kron: Neutral 5 mana 4/6 -- Provoke. Each time you replace a card summon a 2/2 prisoner with a random ability nearby.

I quite like this card and that cool name it has.

Mugsbaloney
Jul 11, 2012

We prefer your extinction to the loss of our job

this is a good game and more people should play it.

RoboCicero
Oct 22, 2009

Yeah, I like it a lot more than Hearthstone just because it feels like good plays / misplays have a way larger effect -- something I'm sure is deliberate on both Hearthstone's part (casual CCG with short play sessions) and Duelyst's part. Here's hoping it picks up a larger audience when it hits Steam!

I've been experience with a bunch of weenie decks that rely on Bastion and Shiro to provide escalating threats but I can't seem to get them to work. It's just too slow! Vetruvian was one of my bets as a mix of dervish support and the Bastion/Shiro combo but it falls over pretty quickly. Vanar wall works a bit better just because you can get a ton more targets on the board rapidly. Haven't tried abyssian yet but I think the issue is that Bastion gives up enough tempo that you end up playing from behind for the rest of the game. Shiro is absolutely still a solid card though, but absolutely works best as a support card and solid 2 drop than a core card.

Mjolnerd
Jan 28, 2006

Smellrose

Mugsbaloney posted:

this is a good game and more people should play it.

Nothing like a new xpac to get people excited and playing again.

Any details yet on when/ if it's coming to steam? apologies if it was recently discussed, not going to lie, i haven't played or read anything related to this game in a few months now... was surprised to see this on first page of >games>

Amcoti
Apr 7, 2004

Sing for the flames that will rip through here
It comes to Steam next Tuesday, as a matter of fact.

kung fu jive
Jul 2, 2014

SOPHISTICATED DOG SHIT
There were some annoying bugs early on with the Steam preview, but lately it has been a silky smooth and easy experience. I am really hopeful that the Steam release brings in a bunch of new players.

Mugsbaloney
Jul 11, 2012

We prefer your extinction to the loss of our job

If anyone wants to make a steam group i would join the poo poo out of it.

^ Yeah i was trying to find a way of working bastion into my Abyssia spam deck but I just find it to be too slow. Shiro is ridiculously useful however.

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

Question for the other players that stuck with the game because I've been away from ladder last month: What is the sweeper class/deck in the current meta?

RoboCicero
Oct 22, 2009

Other people would probably know better, I've just been piloting the same spellhai deck to gold and then doing quests. Maybe some kind of magmar deck with taygete?

Kronikle
Jan 31, 2005

Kara is by far the most dominant general in the meta these days. If you want a few variants of the decklists for her, check out their write-up on managlow.com http://managlow.com/manaranks/ladder/08-07-2016/

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

People use my boy envy's site :unsmith:

Kronikle
Jan 31, 2005

GreyPowerVan posted:

People use my boy envy's site :unsmith:

Your *girl's. Made that mistake over voice chat with her :smith:

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Kronikle posted:

Your *girl's. Made that mistake over voice chat with her :smith:

Did Something crazy happen in the last week or are you trolling me

Kronikle
Jan 31, 2005

She's trans. I was playing league of legends with Envy and Wintermu7e and asked why Envy's username was "lavagirl". Don't remember the answer but I do remember I said something along the lines of, "oh yeah, I can't say that I haven't pretended to be a girl online to get free poo poo once or twice". Found out later that Envy was trans and felt like poo poo for the rest of the day for that comment. If you tune in to her stream you can tell that she's working on her voice.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

We're talking about Envybae, right?

Hmm, well that's new. I've played probably 50+ hours of hots and Overwatch with envy and this is news to me :v:

SSJ_naruto_2003 fucked around with this message at 06:18 on Aug 21, 2016

Kronikle
Jan 31, 2005

Yep, Envybae. Try to catch one of her streams and you'll notice the difference in her voice now as compared to 2 or so months ago.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

In game related chat, when is the new expansion dropping or have I missed that already? I lost lost of my interest in duelyst after one grind to rank 0 back in December

Kronikle
Jan 31, 2005

In ~10 days I believe. A lot of really cool poo poo coming with this expansion and it couldn't have come at a better time because poo poo was getting so old playing with the same small card pool for 16+ months.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Sweet, I'm gonna check it out.

RoboCicero
Oct 22, 2009

Yeah, I've been collecting spoilers every week or so and dumping them in the thread (they're all on the twitter site too). Lots of interesting stuff still coming up like the 8 mana legendary songhai spell or the legendary abyssian artifact. Also a Lyonar card that according to The Scientist "is unique and will likely see constructed play". It's pretty interesting the amount of streamer outreach they've got going, really is interesting to see them pushing it as a esport.

While I'm here though, might as well dump the last half-dozen cards or so.

Falcius : Vetruvian 3 mana 3/3 -- Opening gambit: Your general gains 2 attack and takes no damage this turn.
Fiz: Lyonar 2 mana 3/3 Battle Pet -- Opening gambit: Restore 2 health to a minion or general.
Fighting Spirit: Lyonar 1 mana spell -- Give all friendly minions +1 health. Put a random battle pet into your hand.
Lurking Fear: Abyssian 2 mana spell -- Lower the cost of all minions with Dying Wish in your hand and deck by 1.
Mirror Meld: Songhai 2 mana spell -- Summon a copy of a friendly minion that costs 2 or less nearby.
Xho: Songhai 2 mana 2/3 Battle Pet -- Dying Wish: Put a random Songhai spell into your hand. It costs 1 less.
Gro: Magmar 2 mana 2/4 Battle Pet -- Grow +1/+1.
Moloki Huntress: Magmar 3 mana 1/2 -- Friendly minions grow at the beginning of both player's turns.

Mirror Meld is the most interesting one but I'm biased :v: Very obvious Tusk Boar synergy, but since it also copies buffs Chakri Avatar is a great target, or a KE-buffed heartseeker etc. If Fractal Replication is anything to go by copies will have summoning sickness unless they have the Rush keyword.

The Magmar pet is going to be really annoying as a 1 turn drop. 4 health puts it out of range of most turn 1 removals such as Phoenix Fire, Saberspine, Daemonic Lure, etc so by the time it activates it'll be a 3/5 at least. Maybe the AI will be dumb as a brick to compensate?

Moloki Huntress is also bonkers, but a 1/2 for 3 mana is one of the worst statted minions in the game so it might as well be "Opening gambit: Trigger all grow effects." I'm actually kind of surprised that's not already an effect in the game.

Oh, also apparently "random battle pet" effects selects only faction or neutral pets or, well, someone mentioned something about only "faction or token pets", which doesn't make sense to me unless there are specifically pets that aren't playable normally but in the pool for these effects.

e: also who cares about that poo poo, they're releasing a cosmetic DOGHAI skin

RoboCicero fucked around with this message at 07:57 on Aug 21, 2016

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Lurking fear is awesome.

Kronikle
Jan 31, 2005

From internal playtesting, Falcius is probably the strongest from that list. I'm worried that Songhai is going to be totally dominant when Shim'zar releases though.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Oh yeah, I don't think lurking fear is the strongest by far. It just looks fun to build around. Xho looks powerful, too.

Kronikle
Jan 31, 2005

GreyPowerVan posted:

Oh yeah, I don't think lurking fear is the strongest by far. It just looks fun to build around. Xho looks powerful, too.

If you're actually awake right now, peep the stream for confirmation: https://www.twitch.tv/envybae

There's going to be a card that's not yet revealed called Onyx Jaguar that's going to be loving broken in Songhai. My Shim'zar predicitions in order of power: Songhai, Abyssian, Lyonar, Vanar, Vetruvian, Magmar.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Songhai always broken.

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

Kronikle posted:

Kara is by far the most dominant general in the meta these days. If you want a few variants of the decklists for her, check out their write-up on managlow.com http://managlow.com/manaranks/ladder/08-07-2016/
Thx pal that's a cool site I didn't know about

Also I'm real happy that they printed some more cards that generate cards without being card draw by definition

Avasculous
Aug 30, 2008

RoboCicero posted:

Moloki Huntress is also bonkers, but a 1/2 for 3 mana is one of the worst statted minions in the game so it might as well be "Opening gambit: Trigger all grow effects." I'm actually kind of surprised that's not already an effect in the game.

Oh, also apparently "random battle pet" effects selects only faction or neutral pets or, well, someone mentioned something about only "faction or token pets", which doesn't make sense to me unless there are specifically pets that aren't playable normally but in the pool for these effects.

Moloki Huntress HAS grow 1, so it's actually a 2/3 by the time your opponent can do anything about it.

The battle pet stuff is confusing as hell and badly needs clarification.

I am not crazy about how many times the word 'random' appears in the spoilers.

Edit:

I was going to say case in point until I remembered that they're overhauling Shadow Creep:
https://twitter.com/PlayDuelyst/status/767456270282428416

Nuking 6 random squares on the board for at least 6 damage at end of turn would have been pretty stupid.

Avasculous fucked around with this message at 00:41 on Aug 22, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C3ZFtdCn7ZA

Kibler is pretty much the only big HS streamer that kept up with Duelyst afaik and here's his hot take on the new cards

lmao at the thumbnail though

Tin Tim fucked around with this message at 09:24 on Aug 22, 2016

• Locked thread