Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
the one wher he crucifies his boss? Brutal film.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

Ninety-one? There are ninety other "Tiger Drivers"? Do any involve actual tigers, or driving?
I just rewatched it and yeah, I forgot about most of the torture stuff. Also it's way longer than I remembered and has like three different endings (the cop movie one, the big action movie one, then the sci-fi one). I guess it fits with how the whole thing bounces around between different genres and tones.

Also this gave me a hankering to rewatch a bunch of other similarly crazy stuff I was into at the time but haven't seen in years. I think I'll give Survive Style 5+ a whirl next. :)

Galaspar
Aug 20, 2006
Will reign this way again
This may be a long shot, but I've been looking for a movie that was described to me once by a philosophy tutor. It revolves around a sentient computer with control over a nuclear arsenal. Its handlers worry that they have lost control of it, so they set about teaching the AI moral philosophy in the hope of preventing disaster. Unfortunately they also teach it religion, and after some reflection about its own power and capabilities, the AI decides that it must be God. It then sees only one course of action open to it - "Let there be light"...

This is all I remember from being told about the movie in about 2001, although it was described as an older movie (from the subject matter, I presume Cold War, possibly 1960's?). Any suggestions?

Action Jacktion
Jun 3, 2003

Galaspar posted:

This may be a long shot, but I've been looking for a movie that was described to me once by a philosophy tutor. It revolves around a sentient computer with control over a nuclear arsenal. Its handlers worry that they have lost control of it, so they set about teaching the AI moral philosophy in the hope of preventing disaster. Unfortunately they also teach it religion, and after some reflection about its own power and capabilities, the AI decides that it must be God. It then sees only one course of action open to it - "Let there be light"...

This is all I remember from being told about the movie in about 2001, although it was described as an older movie (from the subject matter, I presume Cold War, possibly 1960's?). Any suggestions?

They might have misremembered Dark Star.

Galaspar
Aug 20, 2006
Will reign this way again

Action Jacktion posted:

They might have misremembered Dark Star.

Thanks! I'm pretty sure you are right, and the misremembering might have been more mine than his. The thoughtful AI was the bomb itself, I remember now.

Galaspar fucked around with this message at 21:05 on Jul 25, 2016

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Galaspar posted:

Thanks! I'm pretty sure you are right, and the misremembering might have been more mine than his. The thoughtful AI was the bomb itself, I remember now.

It's absolutely Dark Star, then.

FunkyAl
Mar 28, 2010

Your vitals soar.
I'm having trouble remembering the title of this animated short, it's done with cutouts of photographs of people, all in the same room, going through the room and performing mundane actions, starting with one and then gradually building to the room being filled with people walking past each other and indirectly interacting with each other. It's at least thirty years old if that helps, and I think it might be a film board of canada short? Thanks in ADVANCE

franco
Jan 3, 2003
Hoo boy here we go, sorry if this is super-vague.

It was definitely made for (American) TV and may have been part of a scary anthology. It was probably made in the early 80s. I distinctly remember it being made by Lorimar and am almost 100% certain the star was Larry Hagman (which would make sense as they also made Dallas). I have combed his credits page multiple times over the years and can't find the bastard.

Plot: home-invasion type thing with little furry trolls/goblins/gremlins that are trying to kill our star in the middle of the night. I seem to remember them sticking metal things in electrical outlets and the like. One scene stands out where they are coming down a staircase and it is blatantly obvious that they are fully-grown adults in cheap zip-up monster suits on a giant set staircase to make them look tiny. Ultra-poo poo production values throughout.

You'd think this would be easy to find but NOOOPE. I'd love to find it to see if it's as cheesy as I remember.

Sir Nose
Mar 28, 2009

franco posted:

Hoo boy here we go, sorry if this is super-vague.

It was definitely made for (American) TV and may have been part of a scary anthology. It was probably made in the early 80s. I distinctly remember it being made by Lorimar and am almost 100% certain the star was Larry Hagman (which would make sense as they also made Dallas). I have combed his credits page multiple times over the years and can't find the bastard.

Plot: home-invasion type thing with little furry trolls/goblins/gremlins that are trying to kill our star in the middle of the night. I seem to remember them sticking metal things in electrical outlets and the like. One scene stands out where they are coming down a staircase and it is blatantly obvious that they are fully-grown adults in cheap zip-up monster suits on a giant set staircase to make them look tiny. Ultra-poo poo production values throughout.

You'd think this would be easy to find but NOOOPE. I'd love to find it to see if it's as cheesy as I remember.

Original version of Don't Be Afraid Of The Dark http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0069992/

franco
Jan 3, 2003
Haha wow yeah those are definitely the beasties I was thinking of - thank you! No J.R. Ewing in sight though - god knows how he's ended up as being in it in my head all these years. Explains why his imdb credits were absolutely no help though!

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
Anyone know if there is a thread like this for music / music videos?

Edit: of course I figure it out a few minutes later.

Light Gun Man fucked around with this message at 11:25 on Aug 13, 2016

Skunkduster
Jul 15, 2005

Somebody posted a clip of this on facebook. It is a mother next to her daughter on a swing and she is asking the daughter which boy bullied her. It was the boy in the blue and gray striped shirt. The mother goes over and puts the boy against a wall and tells him she is going to rip his loving head off. The theme song from Halloween was playing.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Hand that rocks the cradle

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless
e: wrong thread

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

Okay, this is from what I assume to be 80s sports movie. It was basketball or football, and the coach was a woman, I think. Possibly Goldie Hawn.

Anyway, the only thing I really remember is at the end when everyone's celebrating, the mascot pulls a revolver on who I assume was the bad guy.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

Goldie Hawn made Wildcats but I don't remember a gun

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

oldpainless posted:

Goldie Hawn made Wildcats but I don't remember a gun

Okay, not Wildcats, but thanks for giving me that one! I think I've got two movies combined in my head.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
I'm 90% sure you're thinking of Necessary Roughness.

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

You're right! Oddly enough, I remembered the green and white team colors but not what animal the mascot was. Thanks guys.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

LadyPictureShow posted:

Anyway, the only thing I really remember is at the end when everyone's celebrating, the mascot pulls a revolver on who I assume was the bad guy.

Is it this part where he shoots the other team's mascot or does he shoot someone else as well?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z0zgO-bMeqc&t=128s

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Is it this part where he shoots the other team's mascot or does he shoot someone else as well?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z0zgO-bMeqc&t=128s

The mascot doesn't shoot him, but when the team's celebrating, he pulls out his revolver and points it to the head of the dean/athletic director (whoever the bad guy was) who's sitting forlornly on the bench next to him. Though I had forgotten he was trigger happy at other mascots.

TTBF
Sep 14, 2005

A friend remembers a movie from the late 80s or early 90s he saw a bit of as a child. It had a robot that looked a lot like a more angular Johnny 5 from Short Circuit and had a laser, much like Johnny 5 did. It was a horror movie though, where the robot was holding a family hostage. He says he remembers it shooting knives from a knife launcher at one point.

nitrogen
May 21, 2004

Oh, what's a 217°C difference between friends?

TTBF posted:

A friend remembers a movie from the late 80s or early 90s he saw a bit of as a child. It had a robot that looked a lot like a more angular Johnny 5 from Short Circuit and had a laser, much like Johnny 5 did. It was a horror movie though, where the robot was holding a family hostage. He says he remembers it shooting knives from a knife launcher at one point.

chopping mall?

http://imdb.com/rg/an_share/title/title/tt0090837/

TTBF
Sep 14, 2005

It's not Chopping Mall. I've definitely shown him that movie before and it wasn't that.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy

TTBF posted:

Totally Evolver, one of my favorite stupid movies.

http://former.imdb.com/title/tt0112993/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cb09abgOno8

Also a good bad movie!

TTBF
Sep 14, 2005

Evolver is absolutely 100% it. Thank you.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

John de Lancie, nooooo :negative:

Skunkrocker
Jan 14, 2012

Your favorite furry wrestler.
I recently rewatched Evolver, so I'm glad to see other people love it! Such a good movie

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

John de Lancie, nooooo :negative:

John de Lancie is very particular about what roles he takes and holds himself to a high standard.

https://youtu.be/QX_0JbMrl8I

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

oldpainless posted:

John de Lancie is very particular about what roles he takes and holds himself to a high standard.

https://youtu.be/QX_0JbMrl8I

Welp, that's the pinnacle of his Pinochle. :eyepop:

Action Jacktion
Jun 3, 2003
Evolver also had William H. Macy as the voice of the robot. It was a year before Fargo.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
ARCADE is also great. That and Evolver make an excellent double feature.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.
Two odd name things about Snake Eyes.

Gary Sinise plays a character named Kevin Dunne. Kevin Dunn is also in the movie.

Nic Cage plays Rick Santoro and now it's almost impossible to hear that whole name without hearing 'Rick Santorum'.

Dr. Yinz Ljubljana
Nov 25, 2013

TTBF posted:

Up until the knife-launcher I was convinced it was Mark XIII from "Hardware"

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!

Light Gun Man posted:

ARCADE is also great. That and Evolver make an excellent double feature.

Oh man, Arcade. Takes me back to the late nights of early 90's rentals and HBO. Brainscan and Ghost In The Machine are a couple of others along those lovely VR horror movie lines.

moller
Jan 10, 2007

Swan stole my music and framed me!

Origami Dali posted:

Oh man, Arcade. Takes me back to the late nights of early 90's rentals and HBO. Brainscan and Ghost In The Machine are a couple of others along those lovely VR horror movie lines.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WVZgPPYACy0

DorianGravy
Sep 12, 2007

I watched an action movie back in the 90s. It was on VHS, so it could have been slightly older. I think it revolved around a contest in which a person volunteered to be hunted (or maybe the person was a criminal?), and if they could get to a certain location, they won and got a lot of money. In the opening scene, a man manages to get to the end of a bridge, and calls out that he won the game, but they shoot him anyway. The movie may have been similar to The Running Man (but it definitely wasn't The Running Man), but I really don't remember anything else about it. Any ideas?

punchymcpunch
Oct 14, 2012

Sounds like the opening scene of Hard Target to me. Do you remember a man with a gloriously greasy mullet? If so, it was definitely Hard Target.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ckl8Zb5tOTI

DorianGravy
Sep 12, 2007

punchymcpunch posted:

Sounds like the opening scene of Hard Target to me. Do you remember a man with a gloriously greasy mullet? If so, it was definitely Hard Target.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ckl8Zb5tOTI

That definitely looks like it! For whatever reason, though, I still only remember that opening scene. Still, JCVD and Lance Henriksen? I need to watch that again. Thanks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

So your plan is for half of us to die?

Hot Rope Guy

DorianGravy posted:

That definitely looks like it! For whatever reason, though, I still only remember that opening scene. Still, JCVD and Lance Henriksen? I need to watch that again. Thanks!
I honestly don't think you've seen the entire movie if the one bit you remember isn't the ending, it's glorious. :v: