Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Badger of Basra posted:

So is Arlington County technically all unincorporated land? Also, when people say they're from Arlington, VA, do they mean the county and not a city named Arlington?

There's only Arlington County, so yeah the land is completely unincorporated. There's town or city named Arlington in Virginia either, just the county. It effectively operates the way an independent city would, without being called one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eskaton
Aug 13, 2014

alnilam posted:

Woah, I never knew cities could have enclaves like that, with the exception of Vatican city

Look at a place called Hamtramck with Google Maps. It's really common in states with tough annexation laws.

Eskaton fucked around with this message at 03:16 on Aug 23, 2016

HisMajestyBOB
Oct 21, 2010

College Slice

Mike the TV posted:

You can also see that the Virginia Beach and surrounding "independent cities" are as large as counties. Va Beach successfully petitioned to overtake the county it resided in.

And don't forget James City County and Charles City County, both of which are counties, not independent cities :v:

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

REMIND ME AGAIN HOW THE LITTLE HORSE-SHAPED ONES MOVE?

HisMajestyBOB posted:

And don't forget James City County and Charles City County, both of which are counties, not independent cities :v:

This, and independent cities, are both quirks of the way the 17th century Englishmen who settled Virginia originally approached the concept of incorporation. The first four subdivisions of Virginia Colony, in 1619, were called "citties," the highest status a town could achieve in England, traditionally achieved by having a diocesan cathedral within its limits. These were James City (home to the capital at Jamestown, and now called James City County), Charles City (now Charles City County), Elizabeth City (later Elizabeth City County, and now absorbed into the independent city of Hampton), and Henrico City (now Henrico County). Later, four more units were created, and all eight became considered "shires" by royal decree. Basically, Virginia's dumbass system makes way more sense when you remember it's based on the English system, where a "town" and a "city" were different things, and being a city gave you special rights. (Though the current independent-city system only dates to 1871; god knows why they thought that was a good idea

I don't know why this map thinks Richmond dates to the 1900s; it was founded in 1737 and chartered in 1742. It can't even be date of last territorial acquisition, because that was after 1950. :psyduck:

joshtothemaxx
Nov 17, 2008

I will have a whole army of zombies! A zombie Marine Corps, a zombie Navy Corps, zombie Space Cadets...

Mike the TV posted:

You can also see that the Virginia Beach and surrounding "independent cities" are as large as counties. Va Beach successfully petitioned to overtake the county it resided in.

Fun fact: there have been seven independent cities that have voted to abandon city status and be absorbed (as a town) by the surrounding county, another city, or something else. One of those is my home town. Most recent was Bedford, who in 2013 voted to become part of Bedford County.

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

Here are some maps:

There was a paper done about ten years ago about a process called "underbounding." Underbounding is the drawing of town boundaries to exclude neighborhoods which higher black populations which limits their access to the town ballot and town services like water and sewer.

The paper is pretty short and it's here:

http://www.cedargroveinst.org/files/regional_underbounding.pdf

Proust Malone fucked around with this message at 05:51 on Aug 23, 2016

Jaramin
Oct 20, 2010

These maps illustrate a good point which is almost certainly true, but desperately need to be cross-referenced with population density in these regions to communicate it more effectively.

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

Even if the minority areas were less sparsely populated it's pretty blatant how services just stop where the black neighborhoods begin, as if the barrier from Under the Dome cut them off.

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

joshtothemaxx posted:

Fun fact: there have been seven independent cities that have voted to abandon city status and be absorbed (as a town) by the surrounding county, another city, or something else. One of those is my home town. Most recent was Bedford, who in 2013 voted to become part of Bedford County.

Was one of them Birmingham, PA voting itself to be annexed by Pittsburgh, or do I misunderstand you?

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

Antti posted:

Even if the minority areas were less sparsely populated it's pretty blatant how services just stop where the black neighborhoods begin, as if the barrier from Under the Dome cut them off.

Up until at least the 1920s, the town where I live had a law that black people could not own property in the city limits. They grew their own pair of communities, though I'm still not sure how developed they were beyond a school. Even now, the city limits only includes a portion of that area, though it's more or less considered part of the city.

Golbez
Oct 9, 2002

1 2 3!
If you want to take a shot at me get in line, line
1 2 3!
Baby, I've had all my shots and I'm fine

vyelkin posted:

Taken from the pictures thread:

Oklahoma is such a fuckup state they got the location of their own state wrong.

I'm amused by this sign creating a nearly-perfect negative-space Texas with the H.

Donkwich
Feb 28, 2011

Grimey Drawer
It's been years since I've posted in this thread, LOTS of catching up to do.

It's a US map of how many times a state has voted for the winner of a presidential election since 1900. Perhaps not surprisingly, voting with the rest of the country is yet another thing the South is bad at.

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

What are the colours?

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

Antti posted:

What are the colours?

Purple and orange.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Donkwich posted:

It's a US map of how many times a state has voted for the winner of a presidential election since 1900. Perhaps not surprisingly, voting with the rest of the country is yet another thing the South is bad at.

There is no reason to put electoral votes on that map. It just looks like the numeric number of times they voted correctly.

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

computer parts posted:

There is no reason to put electoral votes on that map. It just looks like the numeric number of times they voted correctly.

Oh poo poo, that's exactly what happened to me, which is extra dumb because I play around with electoral maps all the time.

"Okay so South Dakota's voted three times but why is it yellow and North Dakota's purple when they've also voted three times?"

Because there's totally been 55 presidential elections since 1900 and California's voted for the winner in all of them

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

computer parts posted:

I wasn't paying too much attention and thought that was exactly what it was.

root beer
Nov 13, 2005

Count me in on that too, though when I looked at the colors everything fell apart and I just became more confused.

Here's something from the Most Decade Album Cover of the Decade thread in GBS:

So what the hell is going on with that globe? Finland is still part of the Russian Empire which is itself the Soviet Union, that also includes Poland and most of the Balkans. Germany is reunified (unless I can't tell the colors apart) and Czechoslovakia is a lake that would be the second largest inland body of water in the world. Algeria appears to have annexed Morocco and Tunisia or some other combination thereof, as has Libya and Egypt.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

Donkwich posted:

Why would you start at 1900? We only had 46 states. Why not start at 1960 or 1776?

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Titus Sardonicus posted:

Count me in on that too, though when I looked at the colors everything fell apart and I just became more confused.

Here's something from the Most Decade Album Cover of the Decade thread in GBS:

So what the hell is going on with that globe? Finland is still part of the Russian Empire which is itself the Soviet Union, that also includes Poland and most of the Balkans. Germany is reunified (unless I can't tell the colors apart) and Czechoslovakia is a lake that would be the second largest inland body of water in the world. Algeria appears to have annexed Morocco and Tunisia or some other combination thereof, as has Libya and Egypt.

The globe outlines the political agenda of the fascist movement behind the Thompson Twins.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

Ohio is 12/12 and DC is 5/12 as the highest and lowest.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Peanut President posted:

Ohio is 12/12 and DC is 5/12 as the highest and lowest.
In conclusion; America could save a lot of money if they just had the presidential election be held entirely in Ohio.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

A Buttery Pastry posted:

In conclusion; America could save a lot of money if they just had the presidential election be held entirely in Ohio.

That map pretty clearly shows why swing states are the ones they are.

Also that California used to be conservative as all hell.

joshtothemaxx
Nov 17, 2008

I will have a whole army of zombies! A zombie Marine Corps, a zombie Navy Corps, zombie Space Cadets...

alnilam posted:

Was one of them Birmingham, PA voting itself to be annexed by Pittsburgh, or do I misunderstand you?

Sorry, I was just talking about Virginia.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

computer parts posted:

That map pretty clearly shows why swing states are the ones they are.

Also that California used to be conservative as all hell.

"Used to be" [/bias]

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Peanut President posted:

"Used to be" [/bias]

Yeah, they support Hillary, which makes them slightly to the right of Reagan.

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

No matter how much paperwork I process, it never goes away. It only increases.

steinrokkan posted:

Yeah, they support Hillary, which makes them slightly to the right of Reagan.

im sorry bernie didnt do well enough with us uppity unreasonable negroes and beaners and chinks :airquote: low-info voters :airquote: to win the state :(

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

when I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child - but now I am a man.

Jerry Manderbilt posted:

im sorry bernie didnt do well enough with us uppity unreasonable negroes and beaners and chinks :airquote: low-info voters :airquote: to win the state :(

You're all of those things? That's a bingo

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

No matter how much paperwork I process, it never goes away. It only increases.

Ras Het posted:

You're all of those things? That's a bingo

one of three is good enough

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Jerry Manderbilt posted:

Please inform yourself before voting next time, no reason to be the reason why democracy doesn't work.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos
I was curious so here it is again but starting from the beginning:

NM has the highest average: 88.5 Most correct is Pennsylvania & New York (big surprise when winning them usually wins the election) at 47 times. Worst "state" is DC worst actual state is Alabama.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Peanut President posted:

Worst "state" is DC worst actual state is Alabama.

True.

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

Jerry Manderbilt posted:

Latinos hate Bernie Sanders!

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

A Buttery Pastry posted:

There's an Issac Asimov short story where a supercomputer uses data analysis to select one person each Presidential election who it declares to be the most representative sample of all voting Americans. Then that person gets legally forced to go to a building and answer some seemingly random questions and based on their responses the computer decides who is President.

This is the road you are going down!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Franchise_(short_story)

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

when I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child - but now I am a man.
Love too see scifi writers' bafflingly wrong ideas about what computers would go on to do

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

Ras Het posted:

Love too see scifi writers' bafflingly wrong ideas about what computers would go on to do

This particular writer was a major influence on certain areas of science and engineering. :v:

Asimov's stories aren't about robots/computers (the distinction didn't really exist at the time, and I'm pretty sure he's the person who first coined the term "robotics") doing poo poo on their own, they're mostly about them coping with bullshit orders given by humans.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Ras Het posted:

Sure, but the point of the story is that the whole concept is absurd.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
I enjoyed The Nine Billion Names of God as an early 'computers would actually be a lot better at this than people' story.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Guavanaut posted:

I enjoyed The Nine Billion Names of God as an early 'computers would actually be a lot better at this than people' story.

From what I can remember that's a "science man meets dumb heathens, but it turns out the latter is actually correct" story. Computers are very tangential to it, about as much as The Star.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

cheerfullydrab posted:

There's an Issac Asimov short story where a supercomputer uses data analysis to select one person each Presidential election who it declares to be the most representative sample of all voting Americans. Then that person gets legally forced to go to a building and answer some seemingly random questions and based on their responses the computer decides who is President.

This is the road you are going down!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Franchise_(short_story)
I'm sure a supercomputer like that would be more expensive to run than Ohio.