Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

Jive One posted:

This is more of a "what should I play" request, but let me preface it by saying I'm brand new to any sort of open-world crafting game so some guidance would be helpful. That said, I've purchased Starbound, Terraria and Stardew Valley and was wondering which would be the best to begin with both in terms of quality and learning curve.

While I'm here, can anyone also recommend some of their favorite roguelikes available on Steam or GOG? That's another genre I'd like to try out as well.

Terraria is probably the most complete of the three, Stardew Valley the most easy-going/take-it-at-your-own-pace, and Starbound will be really cool if they ever finish it. It also kind of depends on what kind of gameplay experience you're looking for; Terraria and Starbound play a little like the 2d Metroids, Stardew is a Harvest Moon clone except with most of the really lovely parts cut out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.

Keeshhound posted:

Terraria is probably the most complete of the three, Stardew Valley the most easy-going/take-it-at-your-own-pace, and Starbound will be really cool if they ever finish it. It also kind of depends on what kind of gameplay experience you're looking for; Terraria and Starbound play a little like the 2d Metroids, Stardew is a Harvest Moon clone except with most of the really lovely parts cut out.

Unless you just mean that it needs more content still, Starbound did get finished and officially released a while ago.

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

Kanfy posted:

Unless you just mean that it needs more content still, Starbound did get finished and officially released a while ago.

Oh, did it? I got sick of waiting and stopped following it; I just assumed it was going the way of so many other EA games and staying in indefinite beta.

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Please, please don't let me end up in a threesome with the lunch lady and a gay pirate. That would hit a little too close to home.
Unlockable Ben
Can someone recommend a good word game that isn't Bookworm, Bookworm Adventures, or a clone of either of those?

Tagra
Apr 7, 2006

If you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.

Rollersnake posted:

Can someone recommend a good word game that isn't Bookworm, Bookworm Adventures, or a clone of either of those?

Letter Quest: Grimm's Journey (it's kind of bookwormy though)
Lexica

There's also "Words for Evil" but I haven't played it much because it didn't play nicely with my laptop resolution, and I kinda recall it being easily boiled down into "hit as many things as fast as possible and hope they turn into words" with no real strategy involved... I should try it again though.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
My girlfriend's dad used to really like playing Yahoo Backgammon, and is looking for a replacement. Can anybody suggest any options?

PBCrunch
Jun 17, 2002

Lawrence Phillips Always #1 to Me
I built my thirteen year old nephew a Windows gaming computer for his birthday in January (Some 3.5GHz A6 APU/motherboard I got for peanuts, 240GB SSD, GTX 950). My nephew has been having a good time playing a bunch of single player games.

My nephew lives with his mom and his younger half brother. They do not have internet access at home beyond his mom's smartphone. My nephew's younger half brother is pretty much obsessed with getting a computer of his own. I have a low profile Core 2 Duo machine (4GB RAM, crappy Intel integrated graphics) he can have, but I don't think I can get a decent graphics card into it. The younger kid is about eight years old, and has never had a computer before, so I was thinking about installing Linux Mint on the machine to maximize the meager hardware and to keep the kid from blowing up the Windows install through experimentation.

So the question is this: I'm looking for decent games:

available for Linux and Windows
multiplayer over a network without internet access
very low to low hardware requirements
don't require a lot of hoop-jumping to get the server working (or don't need dedicated server)
not super violent/bloody if possible
free/cheap would be nice

Any advice is appreciated.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

kerbal space program multiplayer? I have never done it so no idea on how many hoops to jump through.

PBCrunch
Jun 17, 2002

Lawrence Phillips Always #1 to Me

double nine posted:

kerbal space program multiplayer? I have never done it so no idea on how many hoops to jump through.

I think that might be a little too cerebral for an eight year old, and a little too taxing on the weak hardware available. Thanks though.

Ahundredbux
Oct 25, 2007

The right to bear arms

Rollersnake posted:

typing of the dead? :v:

iSurrender
Aug 25, 2005
Now with 22% more apathy!

PBCrunch posted:

don't require a lot of hoop-jumping to get the server working (or don't need dedicated server)
free/cheap would be nice

Minecraft?

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

GEORGE IS GETTIN' AUGMENTED!
Dinosaur Gum

PBCrunch posted:

free/cheap would be nice

Any advice is appreciated.

Terraria is pretty great for young'uns and frequently goes on sale

Kibbles n Shits
Apr 8, 2006

burgerpug.png

Fun Shoe
Did Gal Civ 3 ever get worth it or should I just play Gal Civ 2 again? 3 is one sale atm and I've got the itch.

djw175
Apr 23, 2012

by zen death robot

DarthJeebus posted:

Did Gal Civ 3 ever get worth it or should I just play Gal Civ 2 again? 3 is one sale atm and I've got the itch.

Gal Civ 2 is always waiting for you. God I loving love that research news bot. No game has ever made me happier to research something.

"Remember how we said that the previous, incredible miniaturization technology was the best? Well, we lied. We do that you know. We lie. There's always something better as long as you're willing to keep paying us the big bucks. But really now, this is it. We tried this technology on a Kanzarian Wild Rider and he's gone. I mean, he's really gone. We're talking, lawsuit. We've looked all over the floor and Varnders here thinks that he may have felt something squish under his foot. So, even though there may be better techs out there, we're going to be tied up for years in the legal system dealing with this unpleasantness. But in the meantime, here you go. "

(I don't know about Gal Civ 3, I just wanted to gush about 2 some more)

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747
I'm hankering for a top down tactical police/special policing forces game that you can pause and issue orders in or is turnbased, has something like this been done good the last few years? I can't handle old graphics cause i'm a giant bitch.

I've played Doorkickers and it was kinda fun, but i thought it was a bit arcadey.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Only thing similar thats semi-new I can think of is Frozen Synapse.

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Only thing similar thats semi-new I can think of is Frozen Synapse.

Ah yeah. i really enjoyed that game too.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Well, there is supposed to be a Frozen Synapse 2 in development, but I think its a long way off.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Dongattack posted:

I'm hankering for a top down tactical police/special policing forces game that you can pause and issue orders in or is turnbased, has something like this been done good the last few years? I can't handle old graphics cause i'm a giant bitch.

I've played Doorkickers and it was kinda fun, but i thought it was a bit arcadey.

Haven't played any of these, but there's Breach and Clear and the Arma folks made one as well. Don't know if these qualify as "old graphics" or meet the turn-based requirement though.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

doctorfrog posted:

Haven't played any of these, but there's Breach and Clear and the Arma folks made one as well. Don't know if these qualify as "old graphics" or meet the turn-based requirement though.

Do not play Arma Tactics, and Breach and Clear was originally a phone game and isn't very good. Doorkickers is pretty much all there is for top down SWATing. Door Kickers 2 and Frozen Synapse 2 are your best bets, neither of them are out yet though.

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747
Then i will patiently wait!

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

Dongattack posted:

Then i will patiently wait!

I can tide you over with a recommendation for a few games that are either a bit further from your recommendation or janky!

Battle Brothers is a fantasy medieval mercenary management game and it has just received an update vastly improving its injury system, turn based and excellent. I made a thread for it here.

7.62 is a squad based real-time pausable game that is exceedingly janky but is one of the best of its kind, 3D real time squad tactics.

Xenonauts is like the old X-Com's but with nice shiny Cold-War inspired graphics. Turn based tactics, can use SWAT style tactics with breaching doors and using riot shields.

SWAT 4 is the best police game ever made, but it's not top-down but rather a first person squad command game. Non-lethal options are available, and you can only fire without being penalized if you or another officer is under threat.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Battle Brothers freakin' rules, for the record.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

SWAT 4 is the best police game ever made, but it's not top-down but rather a first person squad command game. Non-lethal options are available, and you can only fire without being penalized if you or another officer is under threat.

Some day they will make a passable spiritual sequel to SWAT and I will be overjoyed. I missed the boat on people playing it, which is really unfortunate.

I guess Rainbow Six: Siege is somewhat like that but the fun of SWAT were the scenarios and taking people down non-lethally, rather than just cluster-bombing every room you come across.

inkblottime
Sep 9, 2006

For Lack of a Better Name
I'm mildly interested in DayZ but don't want to drop $35 on something I'm only curious to try out. Plus it seems to be in perpetual alpha which is never wise to invest in. So I'm waiting for a sale on Arma 2 deal on Steam so I can try the DayZ mod version.

If I was attracted to the beautiful open-world, casual FPS sandbox, pseudo-mmo survival game feel, would this be a decent place to start? Am I right in saying the standalone version is cleaner with better quality of life interface but the mod version has more stuff going on (missions, gear variety, maps)? Are there similar games I should check out first that aren't morbidly overpriced?

I figure I might even have some fun playing the base version of Arma 2 as well but honestly I know very little about the game. I just like how it looks.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

I've played all of the classic Infinity Engine games, NWN 1&2, Divinity:OS, and Wasteland 2. What are my other options for party-based RPGs with complex character development? I love the perk overload of D&D and I want games where there's a million choices I can make with multiple party members as they level up. I've also played Might & Magic X, both Grimrock games, and Starcrawlers.

I can't really get in to Pillars of Eternity, I'm more interested in character development and combat than story and PoE's combat and levelups feel bland and underwhelming.

I always go back to the NWN2 expansion Storm of Zehir as my ideal game because there are tons of character development choices that you can make for purely roleplaying reasons that find ways to manifest in the gameplay, you have a billion classes and feats because it's NWN2 and it's the kind of story-lite explore-the-dungeons D&D I played with my friends instead of the narrative-focused book-with-gameplay-attached D&D that most PC RPGs emulate.

StoryTime
Feb 26, 2010

Now listen to me children and I'll tell you of the legend of the Ninja

Shakill OReal posted:

I've played all of the classic Infinity Engine games, NWN 1&2, Divinity:OS, and Wasteland 2. What are my other options for party-based RPGs with complex character development? I love the perk overload of D&D and I want games where there's a million choices I can make with multiple party members as they level up. I've also played Might & Magic X, both Grimrock games, and Starcrawlers.

I can't really get in to Pillars of Eternity, I'm more interested in character development and combat than story and PoE's combat and levelups feel bland and underwhelming.

I always go back to the NWN2 expansion Storm of Zehir as my ideal game because there are tons of character development choices that you can make for purely roleplaying reasons that find ways to manifest in the gameplay, you have a billion classes and feats because it's NWN2 and it's the kind of story-lite explore-the-dungeons D&D I played with my friends instead of the narrative-focused book-with-gameplay-attached D&D that most PC RPGs emulate.

Temple of Elemental Evil + The Circle Of Eight mod is light on story, and has great turn-based AD&D combat. It's on GOG for 6 bux.

Edit: the mod is pretty much mandatory. Without it the game is buggy to the point of destroying its own save files.

StoryTime fucked around with this message at 08:31 on Sep 1, 2016

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Shakill OReal posted:

the old Realms of Arkania games are still the absolute kings of this. Great games generally. Also on GoG.

Lords of Xulima is a new indie game heavily inspired by the old Might and Magics and went a bit under the radar. It's drat good and scratches that character development itch pretty well.

Lunchmeat Larry fucked around with this message at 12:49 on Sep 1, 2016

Tagra
Apr 7, 2006

If you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.

Shakill OReal posted:

I recently started playing Avernum and it's pretty fantastic for a character development/exploration kind of thing, but it has a lot of story and talking to people to figure out what to do next too.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

inkblottime posted:

I'm mildly interested in DayZ but don't want to drop $35 on something I'm only curious to try out. Plus it seems to be in perpetual alpha which is never wise to invest in. So I'm waiting for a sale on Arma 2 deal on Steam so I can try the DayZ mod version.

If I was attracted to the beautiful open-world, casual FPS sandbox, pseudo-mmo survival game feel, would this be a decent place to start? Am I right in saying the standalone version is cleaner with better quality of life interface but the mod version has more stuff going on (missions, gear variety, maps)? Are there similar games I should check out first that aren't morbidly overpriced?

I figure I might even have some fun playing the base version of Arma 2 as well but honestly I know very little about the game. I just like how it looks.

Of all the survival games on the market I don't think I would recommend DayZ; I have heard that they never really fixed a lot of the jank in the engine and it can be pretty rough. You may be better off trying something like Ark or Rust instead.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

inkblottime posted:

It's a military sim game. Get Arma 3 if you want milsim or DayZ style gameplay. Battle Royale is great fun in Arma 3, Breaking Point for DayZ and for milsim we have a goon group for that.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

Shakill OReal posted:

Arcanum! It just got a Steam release the other day.

Trillest Parrot
Jul 9, 2006

trill parrots don't die
I'm pretty picky and almost never finish games, but I think I've found a pattern. Recently I've finished/100%'d:
Middle-earth: Shadow of Mordor
Assassin's Creed Black Flag
Assassin's Creed Syndicate
Batman: Arkham series (except for Knight because the car poo poo is awful)

Looks like I like objective based open-ish beat 'em ups with some stealth. Sometimes I like sneaking around, but most of the time I'm into combat. Dynasty Warriors feels too repetitive and I like the counter attack system the above games have. Anything else I should pick up? Are the other AC games worth playing? I'm worried about complaints that the controls arent as good. Is Rogue as good as Black Flag?

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Trillest Parrot posted:

I'm pretty picky and almost never finish games, but I think I've found a pattern. Recently I've finished/100%'d:

Looks like I like objective based open-ish beat 'em ups with some stealth. Sometimes I like sneaking around, but most of the time I'm into combat. Dynasty Warriors feels too repetitive and I like the counter attack system the above games have. Anything else I should pick up? Are the other AC games worth playing? I'm worried about complaints that the controls arent as good. Is Rogue as good as Black Flag?
my man u want Sleeping Dogs

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

Trillest Parrot posted:

Mad Max goes stupidly cheap really often.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
Seconding Sleepy Dogs and Mad Max, also Dying Light.

gohuskies
Oct 23, 2010

I spend a lot of time making posts to justify why I'm not a self centered shithead that just wants to act like COVID isn't a thing.

Trillest Parrot posted:

SLEEPING DOGS

quite stretched out
Feb 17, 2011

the chillest

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

my man u want Sleeping Dogs

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

gohuskies posted:

SLEEPING DOGS

I really want to like this game but I cannot wrap my Westernized brain around the character names and I end up feeling like A Terrible Racist because of it.

This game felt like a super lazy entry in the "roam an open world performing 3000 side activities before you do a boring main mission" genre and it would have been terrible if not for the cool cars.

Accordion Man posted:

also Dying Light.

This game was a breath of fresh air in the zombie-killing genre.

I don't actually have a recommendation. :thumbsup:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trillest Parrot
Jul 9, 2006

trill parrots don't die
All good reqs! I got about 5 hours into Sleeping Dogs before getting distracted last time, I'll pick it back up! I'll put Mad Max on my wish list too. I forgot about Dying Light, I finished that one too. Thanks everyone!