Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Sinistrum: Warp Charge 2: The enemy unit rerolls successful fear checks. Units that are fearless, have They Shall Know No Fear, or are immune to fear checks are immune to this power. If a unit affected by this power passes a fear check it gains a 6+ FNP save (or increases their existing FNP by 1, to a maximum of 4+).

LordAba fucked around with this message at 18:56 on Aug 28, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sir Teabag
Oct 26, 2007

LordAba posted:

Sinistrum: Warp Charge 2: The unit rerolls successful fear checks. Units that are fearless, have They Shall Know No Fear, or are immune to fear checks are immune to this power. If a unit affected by this power passes a fear check it gains a 6+ FNP save (or increases their existing FNP by 1, to a maximum of 4+).

Cast it on your own units lol

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

El Estrago Bonito posted:

Proving that once again miniatures are a garbage hobby for garbage people, there's two people on the minipainting subreddit right now getting into a fight because one of them described Asian people as "Orientals". And people ask me why I am worried about the new Studio Tomahawk game set in the Congo...

Everyone knows the correct term is 'Celestials'

Bistromatic
Oct 3, 2004

And turn the inner eye
To see its path...

Proving that once again miniatures are a garbage hobby for garbage people, there's two people on the minipainting subreddit right now getting into a fight because one of them described Asian people as "Orientals". And people ask me why I am worried about the new Studio Tomahawk game set in the Congo...
I left the Dropzone Commander facebook because a guy was making a nazi themed army complete with SS on his helicopters. When i told him that i'm german and would refuse to play against him he told me that as a german i should be proud of the discipline and skill of the german forces in WW2. And of course the only thing the mods did was delete "overly critical" comments.

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Me and the boys poppin' down to the shops

Bistromatic posted:

I left the Dropzone Commander facebook because a guy was making a nazi themed army complete with SS on his helicopters. When i told him that i'm german and would refuse to play against him he told me that as a german i should be proud of the discipline and skill of the german forces in WW2. And of course the only thing the mods did was delete "overly critical" comments.

Christ alive.

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch

Bistromatic posted:

Yeah stuff like this has happened a few times on LAF. They have a zero tolerance policy for any Nazi iconography for the same reason you cant have swastikas in YouTube thumbnails: they have servers based in Germany and in Germany it's illegal to display Swastikas outside of a very narrow historical context (that miniatures in non-museum displays have actually run afoul of before, shockingly enough). Usually people just pixelate them when it comes to legit historical stuff but people have been banned for putting SS decals on space marine tanks and such.

When I used to paint miniatures as my main source of income, I mostly did historicals and trains because that's where the money is. And as part of that I straight up told people that anywhere there was supposed to be a swastika I would put an Iron Cross because I just wasn't willing to step into that whole mess and I couldn't control who was buying from me and I didn't want stuff I painted up getting used by actual neo-nazis or Wehraboo apologists. I actually turned down a contract for about two grand once because I just wasn't comfortable with it. This guy, who def gave me some creepy vibes, had built and wanted me to paint a set of miniatures and an entire tables worth of terrain he had done for a wargame he wrote about the Battle for Berlin. It was all extremely well done and it was about three hundred figs, but it was full of just the grimmest stuff. He had made a system where each game you got randomized objectives and some of the ideas behind it were really cool, like for instance in one of them you had a group of Hitler Youth who had to locate civilian clothes so they could escape, or similar things. But I just didn't think I could handle painting objective markers with SS officers pinning medals onto 14 year old HJ members before they all went and died to the Russians, etc

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Yeah stuff like this has happened a few times on LAF. They have a zero tolerance policy for any Nazi iconography for the same reason you cant have swastikas in YouTube thumbnails: they have servers based in Germany and in Germany it's illegal to display Swastikas outside of a very narrow historical context (that miniatures in non-museum displays have actually run afoul of before, shockingly enough). Usually people just pixelate them when it comes to legit historical stuff but people have been banned for putting SS decals on space marine tanks and such.

When I used to paint miniatures as my main source of income, I mostly did historicals and trains because that's where the money is. And as part of that I straight up told people that anywhere there was supposed to be a swastika I would put an Iron Cross because I just wasn't willing to step into that whole mess and I couldn't control who was buying from me and I didn't want stuff I painted up getting used by actual neo-nazis or Wehraboo apologists. I actually turned down a contract for about two grand once because I just wasn't comfortable with it. This guy, who def gave me some creepy vibes, had built and wanted me to paint a set of miniatures and an entire tables worth of terrain he had done for a wargame he wrote about the Battle for Berlin. It was all extremely well done and it was about three hundred figs, but it was full of just the grimmest stuff. He had made a system where each game you got randomized objectives and some of the ideas behind it were really cool, like for instance in one of them you had a group of Hitler Youth who had to locate civilian clothes so they could escape, or similar things. But I just didn't think I could handle painting objective markers with SS officers pinning medals onto 14 year old HJ members before they all went and died to the Russians, etc

As has been mentioned, most actual nazi tanks weren't festooned with swastikas either, so I always find those a bit suspect. It does give problems with the finnish hook-cross*, though, since unfortunately "It's not that swastika" has been a thing nazis have used since forever. At least finland's got the roundel/white-and-blue bars to use instead though.

*Ironically finnish tanks often were covered in swastikas since most of them had been nicked off the soviets and "cover your tank in national markers" is one of the really common friendly-fire avoidance methods when you're using captured tanks.

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch

spectralent posted:

As has been mentioned, most actual nazi tanks weren't festooned with swastikas either, so I always find those a bit suspect. It does give problems with the finnish hook-cross*, though, since unfortunately "It's not that swastika" has been a thing nazis have used since forever. At least finland's got the roundel/white-and-blue bars to use instead though.

*Ironically finnish tanks often were covered in swastikas since most of them had been nicked off the soviets and "cover your tank in national markers" is one of the really common friendly-fire avoidance methods when you're using captured tanks.

Yeah, my field of study is actually terrorism and so I have a giant booklet we got a while back that was compiled by the FBI and SPLC and is basically the hundred plus different "totally not a swastikas" that Neo-Nazi groups in Europe use. You've got your South African Triskele, you Celtic Triskele, your Confederate flag, etc. The one that's starting to pop up more and more, especially in the UK is the eagle emblem of the Selous Scouts as we enter into a new era where we're starting to see a general lionization of Rhodesia in the eyes of modern, white, first worlders.

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Yeah, my field of study is actually terrorism and so I have a giant booklet we got a while back that was compiled by the FBI and SPLC and is basically the hundred plus different "totally not a swastikas" that Neo-Nazi groups in Europe use. You've got your South African Triskele, you Celtic Triskele, your Confederate flag, etc. The one that's starting to pop up more and more, especially in the UK is the eagle emblem of the Selous Scouts as we enter into a new era where we're starting to see a general lionization of Rhodesia in the eyes of modern, white, first worlders.

Aww, jeez, I've seen a guy with that thing on the bus :smith:

I don't really have much to do with him but I just assumed it was a heavy metal icon or something.

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch

spectralent posted:

Aww, jeez, I've seen a guy with that thing on the bus :smith:

I don't really have much to do with him but I just assumed it was a heavy metal icon or something.

There's some crossover, people who are not racists do use things like the Celtic triskelion, valknut and odal rune, especially metalheads and pagans. And it varies from region to region, in Europe the odal rune, for instance, isn't usually associated with Neo Nazism but in the US where Germanic neo-paganism and Asatru are heavily associated with white prison gangs and neo-nazi skinheads they are often labeled as racist symbols. Same goes with mjolnir pendants, they are worn by racists and non-racists alike, but if you see one of them being worn by a guy with specific tattoos and stuff you can make a very educated guess on his opinions about things like race realism.

The South African one is just racist through and through though. Although IIRC there is some Industrial band that has a logo that is VERY similar, probably because semi-ironically to completely unironically adopting Fascist iconography is sort of a thing in that scene.

El Estrago Bonito fucked around with this message at 22:27 on Aug 28, 2016

potentiallycool
Nov 7, 2011

Homie
Fallen Rib
gently caress me. This bundle is 50 pounds

https://www.games-workshop.com/en-NZ/Tempestus-Scions-Kill-Team

The start collecting box is 50 pounds...

https://www.games-workshop.com/en-NZ/start-collecting-militarum-tempestus

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch

Or from Warlord:
https://us-store.warlordgames.com/collections/german-army/products/german-build-an-army

https://us-store.warlordgames.com/collections/german-army/products/german-grenadiers-starter-army

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

oh my god is that a circular saw that does not go in my mouth aaaaagh

The South African one is just racist through and through though. Although IIRC there is some Industrial band that has a logo that is VERY similar, probably because semi-ironically to completely unironically adopting Fascist iconography is sort of a thing in that scene.

Well, when you have Hugo Boss design the uniforms for your army, some people are gonna be drawn to the fashion of it. And there's the whole S&M side inspired by Nazisploitation media, of course. I'm pretty leery of trying to tell people what aesthetic they're allowed to like, especially in the bedroom. But it's an exceedingly fine line to walk when there are Actual Nazis still walking around.

And then there's, well, the Imperium of Man. I actually find the Imperium-apologists a lot creepier than someone who dresses up in a PVC Nazi uniform at the goth club once a month.

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Yeah, in general the humans-gently caress-yeah thing is really uncomfortable.

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

spectralent posted:

The only sane way to interpret the Imperium as "good" is that it's literally the best the universe will allow for without resulting in humanity being exterminated. It should be depressing, not triumphant.

e: And the corollary is that Ultramar is there to show how humanity could be better off (not really well-off since it's still profoundly undemocratic) but that the Imperium is just too big/unwieldy to sustain a culture like that.

Avenging Dentist fucked around with this message at 23:55 on Aug 28, 2016

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
I was tempted to buy the Horus Heresy Betrayal box today and then I saw the price tag and store credit and discount or not I'm not buying that nonsense

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Or from Mantic

http://www.manticgames.com/mantic-shop/kings-of-war/getting-started.html

http://www.manticgames.com/mantic-shop/deadzone/product/deadzone-2nd-edition-starter-set.html

http://www.manticgames.com/mantic-shop/new/product/mantic-fantasy-taster.html

http://www.manticgames.com/mantic-shop/new/product/mantic-sci-fi-taster.html

Renfield
Feb 29, 2008

Bistromatic posted:

Hello !
I'm the guy who first called this nazi out - when he was painting the planes in the colours of 'the glorious messerschmitt' - specifically battle of Britain colours...
I lost relatives in that battle.

This arsehole is (is you look at hes' public facebook) a Nazi-fetishist - that are photos of him in SS-Battledress at the firing range.
He also seams to think that Freedom of Speech means no one can be offended or criticise him for the poo poo he talks.

I quit that group when one of the mods said *I* should apologise to him, for him offending me, as Freedom of Speech tops everything.

loving garbage group.

Renfield fucked around with this message at 00:03 on Aug 29, 2016

Sir Teabag
Oct 26, 2007

So is that better/worse/the same as buying the boxes individually?

Also lol at releasing kill team. It was fun as an appendix to forth ed but Sci-fi skirmish games have come a loving long way since then.

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Renfield posted:

I quit that group when one of the mods said *I* should apologise to him, for him offending me, as Freedom of Speech tops everything.

Wh- I... Bu...

wat

Sir Teabag
Oct 26, 2007

Renfield posted:

Hello !
I'm the guy who first called this nazi out - when he was painting the planes in the colours of 'the glorious messerschmitt' - specifically battle of Britain colours...
I lost relatives in that battle.

This arsehole is (is you look at hes' public facebook) a Nazi-fetishist - that are photos of him in SS-Battledress at the firing range.
He also seams to think that Freedom of Speech means no one can be offended or criticise him for the poo poo he talks.

loving garbage group.

This is lovely to hear because I was thinking that DZC looked like a game that would scratch my itch for large scale sci-fi battles, but I'm reconsidering it.

Then again, no matter what you do in nerd hobbies you are gauanteed to rub shoulders with some lovely people.

I've played in punk and metal bands since I was 14 and so I'm used to just leaving the party when the dudes with nazi tattoos show up to start doing blow.

Renfield
Feb 29, 2008

spectralent posted:

Wh- I... Bu...

wat

I started Very carefully - he posted pics of the helicopters with SS runes painted on them - with a question - do you guys thing Wehrmacht icons or SS stuff is cooler.. someone replied 'SS'...
He posted Tanks in Wehrmacht colours, and icons....

then did the aircraft in (quote) the colours of the "glorious messerschmitt"

I Replied to That, saying 'Does anyone else find this to be in really bad taste'

About 5 Americans jump on me with FREE SPEECH - I (as it's late as night where I am, and I've been drinking) tell them to go gently caress themselves,
then the Mod tells me I have to apologise to the OP, as he has a Right to say that.
I figure, gently caress this, and call the mod a oval office and quit.

Then spend an hour talking to the OP on PM on facebook - which is how I found the pics of him in nazi gear.
He's incapable of seeing what he's doing might be offensive to someone - either the German guy above, or me (who lost family to the units he's calling 'Glorious') - or anyone who doesn't liek seeing Nazis outside a historical context.

gently caress em all.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat

spectralent posted:

I dunno genociding everything sounds like a pretty human thing imo

Renfield
Feb 29, 2008

Sir Teabag posted:

This is lovely to hear because I was thinking that DZC looked like a game that would scratch my itch for large scale sci-fi battles, but I'm reconsidering it.

Then again, no matter what you do in nerd hobbies you are gauanteed to rub shoulders with some lovely people.

I've played in punk and metal bands since I was 14 and so I'm used to just leaving the party when the dudes with nazi tattoos show up to start doing blow.

DZC is a fantastic game- dont let one arsehole in the US ruin it.

We have good scene at out FLGS - with DropFleet staring soon (based on the pre-orders ! )

I'm disappointed in the FB group, not the game (or local scene)

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

It's kind of good that these fucks advertise their bigotry, it really saves regular people a lot of time figuring out who's garbage.

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

The weird part for me is that DZC is sci-fi, right? I can see painting up a German army for a WW2 historical game (even painting them in SS colors) because you might think it's an important part of history, or you just like playing the bad guys, or whatever. But when you feel the need to inject your worship of Nazi Germany into a science fiction game, it just comes across as a little obsessive. Like the Empire in Star Wars doesn't literally use a swastika (although they were more than a little bit too on-the-nose with the Nazi imagery in TFA). They just had some parallels.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Yeah, DZC has no feasible connection to WWII-era Germany. It's just a weirdo somewhere injecting his Nazi worship into an unrelated thing. This is somehow a common thread throughout many hobbies.

Basically, Nazi lovers are a white supremacist version of bronies.

potentiallycool
Nov 7, 2011

Homie
Fallen Rib

Sir Teabag posted:

So is that better/worse/the same as buying the boxes individually?

Also lol at releasing kill team. It was fun as an appendix to forth ed but Sci-fi skirmish games have come a loving long way since then.

The top one costs the same but comes without a second squad and a commissar.

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch
I tend to end up playing Nazis in most WWII games because they are usually stereotypically cast as the expensive elite assault oriented force with cool tanks which is A) The kind of force I like to play and B) Units tend to be more expensive points wise so they tend to be the cheapest armies to run (I got into FoW playing the all Tiger SS Panzer company because it was most of an army with five tanks and some infantry dudes). Also at least in my neck of the woods most players always trended towards Americans or weird stuff like Finns and Italians so Wehrmacht and SS were usually the open slots in the "no one else is playing this" column.

FrostyPox
Feb 8, 2012

Yeah I wouldn't let a couple of assholes ruin it for you. There's terrible people in every game and unfortunately they're also rather vocal in every game. I wish more people played DZC around here :smith:

I suppose I'll have to start demoing it and DFC when DFC hits retail

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

Avenging Dentist posted:

The only sane way to interpret the Imperium as "good" is that it's literally the best the universe will allow for without resulting in humanity being exterminated. It should be depressing, not triumphant.

e: And the corollary is that Ultramar is there to show how humanity could be better off (not really well-off since it's still profoundly undemocratic) but that the Imperium is just too big/unwieldy to sustain a culture like that.

This just made me realise why the videogames like dow and space marine rub me the wrong way

They're full of gently caress yeah imperium! and have virtually no reference to how the imperium is a horrible necessity

modern 40k lore sucks

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

The pinnacle of 40k lore for me was in Inquisitor (I think?) where they went a step further and added some tidbits suggesting that a lot of humanity's suffering was self-inflicted and the result of superstition and just plain fear of change (especially about what would happen if they just let the Emperor die).

I guess that makes my previous post a lie but oh well.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

Avenging Dentist posted:

The pinnacle of 40k lore for me was in Inquisitor (I think?) where they went a step further and added some tidbits suggesting that a lot of humanity's suffering was self-inflicted and the result of superstition and just plain fear of change (especially about what would happen if they just let the Emperor die).

I guess that makes my previous post a lie but oh well.

That's been a pretty vital part of 40k lore in subtle and not so subtle ways since the very beginning. It's really only in the last 5 years or so that you haven't seen as much of it.

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

S.J. posted:

That's been a pretty vital part of 40k lore in subtle and not so subtle ways since the very beginning. It's really only in the last 5 years or so that you haven't seen as much of it.

when was the last time they even illustrated e-dawg all hooked up into his coma throne

it has to have been more recently than when they had john blanche doin codex art in 2nd? ed

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

when was the last time they even illustrated e-dawg all hooked up into his coma throne

it has to have been more recently than when they had john blanche doin codex art in 2nd? ed

I never picked up the 6th ed rulebook but it was in all of them before that IIRC

Jeb Bush 2012
Apr 4, 2007

A mathematician, like a painter or poet, is a maker of patterns. If his patterns are more permanent than theirs, it is because they are made with ideas.

Moola posted:

This just made me realise why the videogames like dow and space marine rub me the wrong way

They're full of gently caress yeah imperium! and have virtually no reference to how the imperium is a horrible necessity

modern 40k lore sucks

tbh I'm not really sure I like the "oh well, I guess we wrote this universe where you have to be hitler, better start goosestepping" line any better

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

Jeb Bush 2012 posted:

tbh I'm not really sure I like the "oh well, I guess we wrote this universe where you have to be hitler, better start goosestepping" line any better

Most (good) scenarios for players in 40k put you in the shoes of someone struggling in vain to make things better for humanity, even though you don't quite know what the best way is. That's pretty much the whole hook for Inquisitor. All the various factions think they're making humanity safe, and the really extreme genocidal ones are usually depicted as bad guys.

I think it's totally possible to emphasize the conflict between trying to protect humanity and being forced to work within a dystopian regime to do so.

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

Moola posted:

modern 40k lore sucks

they do sling the ol' Cyclonic Torpedoes around pretty liberally in DoW

though there's no reference to the more mundane, everyday bleakness of existence in the Imperium, or of the Emperor being a corpse-god who eats thousands of souls every day to sustain the miserable threadbare husk of his corporeal existence

an audience accustomed to Halo and to american MilSF is probably conditioned to accept a good clean Exterminatus more easily than the more baroque and dystopian horrors of the setting

PupsOfWar fucked around with this message at 08:08 on Aug 29, 2016

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cZc6cr6G2E4

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

i saw that and i was impressed with the CG but the voices and characters are dogshit. Just like that space marine movie

• Locked thread