Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

I meant the party.

It'll take a couple of years, as all these things to. Disentangling from a 300+ year old union can't just happen in an instant.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)
:cripes:

I'm an idiot.

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

honestly I wasn't sure myself if that was forkboy's joke or not but if it isn't I now get to claim it as my own so go me

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

I meant the party.

Sorry, I was being silly.

They'll probably hang around for a couple of years because of inertia but the SNP is not a bunch of people who agree on most things. There's a lot of Tartan Tories from the rural north-east, there's the more recent converts down in the central belt who tend to be more social democrats, and it'll all come crashing down before too long assuming we get independence. That's the saving grace really.

Or I hope so anyway. Maybe they can stay together purely under the force of power. I hope not.

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

This is a silly post with little news value.

Prince John posted:

Totally. It's her entire reason for being.

This is vaguely topical given our previous discussions on AirBnB - reduced private rental stock as landlords are increasingly putting their properties out on AirBNB as holiday lets instead.

Disturbingly, 61% of AirBNB lets in London are for >3months, indicating that landlords may be dodging rules and regulations around long-term letting.

I firmly retract my previous support of AirBNB incidentally as the host decided that they weren't actually free after all, so I had to go crawling back to the expensive hotels. :negative:
Think of it as an (expensive) lesson learned.
If you'd booked at a proper hotel that obeys basic trading regulation and so on in the first place, instead of chancing on this spiv, then they couldn't have cancelled on you. Or at least would've walked you to a substitute if their room was unexpectedly unavailable.

Lord of the Llamas
Jul 9, 2002

EULER'VE TO SEE IT VENN SOMEONE CALLS IT THE WRONG THING AND PROVOKES MY WRATH

Prince John posted:

Totally. It's her entire reason for being.

This is vaguely topical given our previous discussions on AirBnB - reduced private rental stock as landlords are increasingly putting their properties out on AirBNB as holiday lets instead.

Disturbingly, 61% of AirBNB lets in London are for >3months, indicating that landlords may be dodging rules and regulations around long-term letting.

I firmly retract my previous support of AirBNB incidentally as the host decided that they weren't actually free after all, so I had to go crawling back to the expensive hotels. :negative:

This is a report from the "Residential Landlords Association":

The RLA posted:

For many members, the key reason for joining the RLA is to support a landlord's association which is leading campaigns on behalf of private residential landlords on issues of importance to the sector.

Hmmmmm.

The 61% of properties available for lets more than 3 months claim is a bit suspect. Is that just based on the listing calendars not being blocked out?

Edit: This article suggests there are approx 900k private rental households in London. This would suggest the 22k "Full Homes" listings on AirBnB accounts for 2.4% of the market assuming every single one of them would be rented out normally otherwise.

Lord of the Llamas fucked around with this message at 11:23 on Sep 2, 2016

Jrbg
May 20, 2014

Apparently Corbyn said a thing about afterwork drinking cultures and how they are gendered and naturally this means that Corbyn hates mothers who want to be Aspirational and Get On and is the real sexist. Just to preface the next fifty pages of the thread.

Kokoro Wish
Jul 23, 2007

Post? What post? Oh wow.
I had nothing to do with THAT.
It really is "fun" seeing what non-story the mainstream will try and dredge up about Corbyn next. I remember listening to a radio clip complaining that Corbyn seemed to be "bullet proof" and none of the poo poo that was being thrown at him was sticking.

Pesmerga
Aug 1, 2005

So nice to eat you

J_RBG posted:

Apparently Corbyn said a thing about afterwork drinking cultures and how they are gendered and naturally this means that Corbyn hates mothers who want to be Aspirational and Get On and is the real sexist. Just to preface the next fifty pages of the thread.

They're also a bit poo poo for non-drinkers, and can create an unpleasant working environment.

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

Pesmerga posted:

They're also a bit poo poo for non-drinkers, and can create an unpleasant working environment.

sounds like somebody's afraid of a little bit of banter

lads lads lads lads

p.s. that's not sexist because Carol on our team is also one of the lads, she doesn't complain when we keep making jokes about dicks she's not like the others

Angepain fucked around with this message at 12:08 on Sep 2, 2016

floofyscorp
Feb 12, 2007

What did he actually say? I saw some kerfuffle about it on Twitter but can't find any articles about it nor the controversial quote itself.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Pesmerga posted:

Interestingly enough I'm going to such an event tonight where one of the two people it's for doesn't drink, so he's not coming.

To his own farewell party.

Coohoolin
Aug 5, 2012

Oor Coohoolie.
Just have an irn bru and don't be a fanny.

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

Coohoolin posted:

this can work, but only if the people with you aren't a fanny to you when they notice you're not drinking. There were a lot of people like that in my student days but I'm sure in the grown up world of work such people have greatly matured and have become fully professional well-adjusted adults, right?

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Being around a load of people who are drinking when you don't drink can be hell, tbh.

Depends on the person - at uni one of the guys couldn't drink due to medication but he came out with us and by the end of the evening you couldn't tell he was sober from the way he was there on the dancefloor with the rest of us.

That said, sometimes everyone becoming a braying jackass while you're not even enjoying a buzz can be a real mood killer.

Pesmerga
Aug 1, 2005

So nice to eat you

Coohoolin posted:

You've never tried not drinking at one of these events - unless you claim you're on antibiotics (and even then, some prick will start asking which specific ones with absolutely no medics knowledge in order to prove you can still drink), you're considered either weird, suspicious or a recovering alcoholic if you don't drink with everyone else. This can be a huge problem in law firms, which are already known for having lovely working cultures.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

Pesmerga posted:

Are you expected to go to the pub with your workmates in the UK? Doesn't sound very fun. I like my work and free time to have a crisp, clear line between them and no overlap.

But granted I am an antisocial nerd who prefers to spend evenings in my workshop or my family, rather than the pub. But, I am also an uncle scrooge level cheapskate and a pub sounds like a waste of hard earned cash I'd rather use to buy tools with.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

His Divine Shadow posted:

Are you expected to go to the pub with your workmates in the UK? Doesn't sound very fun. I like my work and free time to have a crisp, clear line between them and no overlap.

But granted I am an antisocial nerd who prefers to spend evenings in my workshop or my family, rather than the pub. But, I am also an uncle scrooge level cheapskate and a pub sounds like a waste of hard earned cash I'd rather use to buy tools with.

Some companies yes, other companies no. These aren't formal things it's just a case of someone in the office going "anyway fancy a pint after work?" and a bunch of regulars going with the occasional special guests.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Sounds like the gendered bit is more about how women have to get home to their kids after work and not that they don't want to go to after work drinks, and so the root cause here is unequal sharing of childcare duties, not afterwork drinks being inherently bad.

But granted I am an antisocial nerd who prefers to spend evenings in my workshop or my family, rather than the pub.
This is missing a 'with'. Right? :ohdear:

RobotNinjaHornets
Dec 30, 2012
An old Owen Smith tweet has just resurfaced

https://twitter.com/OwenSmith_MP/status/719107209494413312

I can't. I just can't.

But no Corbyn is the sexist, sorry, my mistake

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Coohoolin posted:

Somehow you manage to take "being a social butterfly" & still be massively loving goony about it so well done I guess. Some people are utterly insufferable if you're there and not drinking, convinced you're trying to make them feel bad. Which is super fun when you're not drinking because you're on some meds but don't really want to talk about why you're on them with work colleagues. Also, when you're not drinking and around a bunch of people who are drinking you realise how loving dull drunk people are, unless they are making a total tit of themselves & barely able to walk. And honestly I don't see much value seeing my colleagues in that state.

The only times I ever did the post-work drink was after 13 hour night shifts. Something about a 7am pint is just better than a 7pm pint.

RobotNinjaHornets posted:

An old Owen Smith tweet has just resurfaced

https://twitter.com/OwenSmith_MP/status/719107209494413312

I can't. I just can't.

But no Corbyn is the sexist, sorry, my mistake

Surprisingly funny for a politician to be honest.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

Guavanaut posted:

Sounds like the gendered bit is more about how women have to get home to their kids after work and not that they don't want to go to after work drinks, and so the root cause here is unequal sharing of childcare duties, not afterwork drinks being inherently bad.

This is missing a 'with'. Right? :ohdear:

Most definitely, yes.

Jrbg
May 20, 2014

I like my work and free time to have a crisp, clear line between them and no overlap.

But granted I am an antisocial nerd who prefers to spend evenings in my workshop or my family, rather than the pub.

Here's the thing, long hours are just plain bad for work/family balance and guess which gender won't, on average, feel the need to balance it quite so much?

Here's what I'm talking about.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

Coohoolin posted:

irn bru is awful

RobotNinjaHornets
Dec 30, 2012

forkboy84 posted:

Surprisingly funny for a politician to be honest.

Funny or no, essentially tweeting that the female FM should shut up like that isn't exactly the best look

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

I think this is it... I think this is how it ends

Tesseraction posted:

Being around a load of people who are drinking when you don't drink can be hell, tbh.

Depends on the person - at uni one of the guys couldn't drink due to medication but he came out with us and by the end of the evening you couldn't tell he was sober from the way he was there on the dancefloor with the rest of us.

That said, sometimes everyone becoming a braying jackass while you're not even enjoying a buzz can be a real mood killer.

every Lent I give up alcohol, and one time I went out with my friends clubbing in London. At one point, I was stood stone cold sober with my mates wife while he and two of my friends were having a drunk conversation 50 yards behind us and refusing to move. I turned to his wife, who was also fairly sober and said "loving hell, are we always like this when we're drunk?" to which she gave me the most incredulous look and said "this is actually not bad for you lot". I felt quite ashamed to be honest

Not Operator
Jan 1, 2009

Not A doctor, THE Doctor!

RobotNinjaHornets posted:

Funny or no, essentially tweeting that the female FM should shut up like that isn't exactly the best look

I can't check the dates on my phone, is this a follow up to "You're only on this panel because you're a woman", or is it a prequel?

He's probably not an actual misogynist, but if he was the labour leader, he'd be getting loving savaged over stuff like this. And more deservingly than "man can't tell Ant from Dec"

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Not Operator posted:

I can't check the dates on my phone, is this a follow up to "You're only on this panel because you're a woman", or is it a prequel?

He's probably not an actual misogynist, but if he was the labour leader, he'd be getting loving savaged over stuff like this. And more deservingly than "man can't tell Ant from Dec"

The insult to Leanne Wood was back in 2015, that tweet is from April.

And he's not a full-blown misogynist but he does seem to gravitate towards casual misogyny, which really isn't much better, especially for a politician in the public eye.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

forkboy84 posted:

Some people are utterly insufferable if you're there and not drinking, convinced you're trying to make them feel bad.
Most jobs I've worked recently around Leicester have had enough Muslim or trad. Baptist employees that having a few people say "no thanks, I don't drink" or wanting to go for food instead of a pub isn't that unusual.

Maybe that changes in some career sectors or if you head a few miles over where being a different religion makes you some kind of alien.

A tidal wave of piss upon the east coast of England.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Jose posted:

irn bru is awful

I will fight you for making me agree with Coohoolin but Irn Bru is, after whisky & tablet, the only good thing to come from Scotland.

Guavanaut posted:

Most jobs I've worked recently around Leicester have had enough Muslim or trad. Baptist employees that having a few people say "no thanks, I don't drink" or wanting to go for food instead of a pub isn't that unusual.

Maybe that changes in some career sectors or if you head a few miles over where being a different religion makes you some kind of alien.

A tidal wave of piss upon the east coast of England.

Yeah, working in ethnically diverse Glasgow was 100% different to the attitudes in utterly homogeneous Inverness, where English white settlers are quite exotic. A lot easier to bail out with little comment if you're in an area with a reasonably large muslim population.

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
Sugar free Irn Bru is good.

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

No it isn't, but it still tramples my bloody lavender.
When I worked in a care home the after works drinks often turned into staggering home at about dawn while trying to find people to cover for you for the shift starting in half an hour that weren't also out on the piss with you. It wasn't healthy but it was a vent for stress. When I worked for the dwp it was more of a weird clique thing where some people were invited and some were not, so I quickly found excuses.

Drinking culture in the UK is hosed up, largely because most people, myself included, don't have healthy relationships with booze. After work drinking, especially in high stress or high drama jobs is asking for trouble.

I just drink during work hours now.

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

This is a silly post with little news value.

Lord of the Llamas posted:

This is a report from the "Residential Landlords Association":

Hmmmmm.

So? Just cos you don't like someone doesn't automatically make everything they say wrong.

e:
the times article is better http://www.thetimes.co.uk/edition/news/buy-to-let-landlords-move-in-on-airbnb-7q2dpv92p

quote:

Almost half the properties on Airbnb in Britain’s big cities are being offered by landlords as they convert long-term rentals into lucrative holiday lets, a report suggests.

Professional property owners have turned to the website in record numbers after a crackdown on buy-to-let borrowers by George Osborne, the former chancellor, according to the first detailed analysis of Airbnb.

The Residential Landlords Association, which compiled the report, said the surge of homes on the website was fuelling the housing crisis and risked driving up rents.

Airbnb was set up in 2008 to allow homeowners to let spare rooms or entire properties for short periods. It is thought to list up to 100,000 UK properties.

More than half of listings in London, Manchester and Edinburgh are whole flats or houses, meaning that about 25,000 homes which might previously have been available to rent long term are no longer on the market. Almost half of these are offered by people with more than one listing, suggesting that a growing number of landlords are using the website as a business.

The number of entire flats or houses available on Airbnb in the capital has risen by a quarter in the past six months, taking up to 4,250 properties out of the long-term rental market. Over the same period only 10,300 new homes were built within the M25 and rents have risen by 6 per cent.

“There is mounting evidence that the use of Airbnb is drifting from its vision of allowing homeowners to occasionally rent out a spare room or their property when on holiday,” the Residential Landlords Association report says. “The sharing economy is enabling businesses and individuals to profit on properties being used on Airbnb and is preventing families, workers and young people from accessing affordable housing.”

Berlin banned homeowners from letting out whole properties to tourists this year in an effort to keep housing affordable after rents in the city rose.

In the UK, short-term holiday lets are deemed a trading activity so are not hit by the government clampdown on tax breaks for landlords, which will be phased in from next year. From April, homeowners using Airbnb will also benefit from a £1,000 tax-free allowance designed to boost the sharing economy.

The average price for a single night in a flat or house listed on Airbnb in London is £139, compared with £52 a night in the long-term rental market. This means landlords only have to let out their homes every other night to make more money.

David Smith, author of the report, said: “We argue that the growth in the usage of short-term letting websites is eroding the housing stock. At a time when the government is trying to further regulate private renting, it is incomprehensible that it is trying to encourage an unregulated sector, where there is a huge potential for properties to move from long-term letting to short-term letting.

“Yet, it is clear from the data that professionals are now taking over the market.”

Airbnb denies that its website is removing housing stock and points out that people with more than one listing might be homeowners renting out more than one room in their property. A spokesman said: “The typical Airbnb host in London shares their space for 50 nights a year and hosts generated £1.3 billion of economic activity in the capital last year. Hosting on Airbnb puts money in the pockets of regular Londoners.”

A spokesman for the Department of Communities and Local Government said the government was committed to creating a “bigger, better private rented sector” without “excessive” state regulation.

Cerv fucked around with this message at 13:18 on Sep 2, 2016

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

DesperateDan posted:

I just drink during work hours now.

Working in finance I see.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

forkboy84 posted:

I will fight you for making me agree with Coohoolin but Irn Bru is, after whisky & tablet, the only good thing to come from Scotland.
Lorne sausage too.

quote:

Yeah, working in ethnically diverse Glasgow was 100% different to the attitudes in utterly homogeneous Inverness, where English white settlers are quite exotic. A lot easier to bail out with little comment if you're in an area with a reasonably large muslim population.
Interestingly a lot of the younger Muslim guys (it is invariably just the guys, and only from certain groups) have started deciding that it is drunkenness that is haraam, rather than alcohol itself, so 'a few drinks' is fine as long as you're not getting wasted or approaching prayers while drunk. I give it another generation until the teetotalers in Midlands-born practicing Muslims are in about the same proportion as the traditional Baptist teetotalers in Midlands-born practicing Christians.

Whether they'll be more understanding of abstaining from drink or will use their newly reasoned liberation to be dicks to the traditionalists I don't know.

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

What do you do in your workshop

Cool stuff, I assume

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Guavanaut posted:

Lorne sausage too.

And Mogwai. And Teenage Fanclub were alright.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

forkboy84 posted:

Peter Capaldi

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

ThaumPenguin posted:

What do you do in your workshop

Cool stuff, I assume

Furniture mostly, and homemade tools to help me make more stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paul.Power
Feb 7, 2009

The three roles of APCs:
Transports.
Supply trucks.
Distractions.

I don't drink, but sometimes I go to the pub after work if someone's leaving. I usually just have water and/or tea. No-one seems to mind, although I guess I can end up feeling a bit isolated if I'm the only sober one.

• Locked thread