Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

goddamnedtwisto posted:

I've got an 821, the sidestand mounts right next to the rear swingarm mount attachment point. If that part of the (fully stressed-member) engine isn't strong enough to accept the weight of the bike for a few seconds I've got *way* bigger problems.

This post is proof that you've drunk the vino flavor-aid re: Italian engineering competency.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Revvik
Jul 29, 2006
Fun Shoe

High Protein posted:

Talking about short people and side stands, this chick I once rode with got on her GS800 by stepping up on the left side peg while it was on the side stand, looked sketchy to me but if it works...

How I mount the KTM, at 6' too.

All this rain talk, MI finally got hit by that storm from Louisiana a few days back. Rode home in absolutely flooded streets - put my foot down in water halfway up my calf. Honestly a fun ride, bombing through miniature lakes. Waterproof poo poo would have made it better.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Chichevache posted:

Really? One of the things I thought I had read about them was that the side stand is flimsy.

You can read a lot of stuff on the internet yeah.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

Slavvy posted:

You can read a lot of stuff on the internet yeah.

I hope you don't have to read that I followed some rear end in a top hat's advice and broke my kickstand. :colbert:

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

TBH the only time I had to do that was in my garage where space is tight. I never had any problems just muscling the bike around normally because it wasn't very tall. Seems like the height of the bike has a much bigger impact on shifting it around than the weight. Parked pointing downhill a couple of times and managed to get it out without having to hop off and push, but I am tall.

TeamIce
Mar 16, 2004
LET JESUS FUCK YOU

Bike fat. So what

After finally giving up on my Gixxer's godawful electric problems, I decided I wanted something with warranty - and also something a bit bigger for longer trips, as the wife wants to go on the back.

Naturally, the logical choice was something with idiotic amounts of power.

After riding it for a few weeks - definitely a lot more comfortable riding position than the 750. Wrists still get a bit sore, but knees and back don't suffer anywhere near as much.

Power is ridiculous, but the TC keeps it pretty under control. Even when acting like a dumbass on it, it never really felt unmanageable. I think it helps that all the time spent on the gsxr was without traction control or ABS.

Definitely a lot heavier though, especially in tight corners. The wallowing on any sort of bump is a bit annoying compared to the razor sharp sportbike suspension...still need to go and get the suspension adjusted for my weight, which should help.

TeamIce fucked around with this message at 15:00 on Aug 21, 2016

Shimrod
Apr 15, 2007

race tires on road are a great idea, ask me!

Nice bike.

(Can you timg those please? 1st one is huge).

Cabrini-Green Tea
Aug 20, 2009

wheel in the sky keeps on turnin'
Bought my 2nd bike: 1983 Yamaha XJ750M Midnight Maxim, 31K miles. Feels awesome to be on 2 wheels again!

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

TeamIce posted:

Bike fat. So what

After finally giving up on my Gixxer's godawful electric problems, I decided I wanted something with warranty - and also something a bit bigger for longer trips, as the wife wants to go on the back.

Naturally, the logical choice was something with idiotic amounts of power.

That is hot.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Twimp Lingam posted:

Bought my 2nd bike: 1983 Yamaha XJ750M Midnight Maxim, 31K miles. Feels awesome to be on 2 wheels again!

:wow:

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

Twimp Lingam posted:

What was your first bike and how do you like this one? I've seen quite a few maxims popping up on Craigslist and they might be what I end up with as a project bike.

Dutymode
Dec 31, 2008
My first bike was a 1981 Seca 750 that I rode for three years, very similar. Very top heavy, but otherwise comfortable. Parts and knowledge were easy to find through http://www.xjbikes.com.

Cabrini-Green Tea
Aug 20, 2009

wheel in the sky keeps on turnin'

Chichevache posted:

What was your first bike and how do you like this one? I've seen quite a few maxims popping up on Craigslist and they might be what I end up with as a project bike.

First bike was a 1981 Suzuki GS1000G. This doesn't have as much power obviously but it has a lot smoother ride. This one has been pretty fun so far. It's top heavy though.

Space Whale
Nov 6, 2014

White 2013 Ninja 300. First bike, got it in March. Still has a scrape on the left fairing from my ill fated first attempt at practicing emergency stops the first week I had it in a parking lot.

Thankfully no drops since, except for my jaw. I moved to the Denver area so if I want to go sight seeing I can basically pick a direction, go, and see this:

That's Boulder CO down and to the right.

XYLOPAGUS
Aug 23, 2006
--the creator of awesome--
The pearl white on those 300s is awesome. Nice biek.

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

Space Whale posted:

Thankfully no drops since, except for my jaw. I moved to the Denver area so if I want to go sight seeing I can basically pick a direction, go, and see this:

That's Boulder CO down and to the right.

That's beautiful. I wish I didn't live in metro Detroit suburban hell.

Space Whale
Nov 6, 2014

SouthLAnd posted:

Toll roads are free for a biek if you get the transponder thingy. I just put it on my windscreen.

XYLOPAGUS posted:

The pearl white on those 300s is awesome. Nice biek.

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

~ the ultimate driving machine ~

SouthLAnd posted:

:hfive: metro detroit grid bros

Space Whale
Nov 6, 2014
I read Detroit as Denver.

I need more sleep or new glasses.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

Space Whale posted:

Toll roads are free for a biek if you get the transponder thingy.

In WA I usually just send a nasty letter with a copy of my registration insinuating that they're idiots for being able to find by address based on my vehicle registration but not be able to know it's registered as a motorcycle based on my vehicle registration.

Space Whale
Nov 6, 2014
I got a bill for my destroyed mustang. Which turned into a truck and went 1000 miles from its demise in a flood in central Texas to central Florida.

These systems suck - it's humans doing lookups in semi public data dbs and manual data entry.

I'll stick to RFID stickers :v:

M42
Nov 12, 2012

Couple of the gsxr from pittrace. Apparently the track photog is notoriously slow to upload, so all's I got is crappy iphone pics :manning:

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Is that the U-Haul trailer you were talking about a while back?

M42
Nov 12, 2012

Nope. Found a buddy's buddy who loans his kendon out. It's great - the kendon with a bike is lighter than the uhaul without a bike.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

I realized a couple minutes ago that of course that's not a U-Haul.

Stupid question.

Bike is tits though.

XYLOPAGUS
Aug 23, 2006
--the creator of awesome--
Civic plus track biek combo is awesome.

M42
Nov 12, 2012

Yeah, that pipsqueak 4 banger had no problem hauling. And PA is full of those 2 mile long up/down grades, too.

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

I always glossed over the track name before- Pittsburgh Int'l. Race Complex? That's 20 minutes from my hometown but I never made it out there. How do you like it?

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I helped Lowtax become a cyborg and all I got was this lousy avatar

M42 posted:

Yeah, that pipsqueak 4 banger had no problem hauling. And PA is full of those 2 mile long up/down grades, too.

You sure about that? I think you need a diesel/dually.

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

I cant wait to roll up to a trackday towing a bike with my FiST

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

n8r posted:

You sure about that? I think you need a diesel/dually.

def, need the full on 5th wheel around here to bring a bike to the track.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I towed constantly with my 04 focus and people were always blown away by that fact when they saw it. It was a pretty decent tow rig, all things considered

Angryboot
Oct 23, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Yup. Plus like M42 said, kendon trailers are light enough not to be a worry. This setup went up through the grapevine from L.A. to the track 500 miles north without any problems

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

I towed a 2500lb U-Haul trailer coast to coast behind my old ZX2 with a 2.0L and a 5-speed (which, empty, weighs less than the trailer. Whoops). No problems whatsoever, though the brakes got a little toasty coming down the western face of the Sierra Nevada. Still on the original clutch 4 years later.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof
I mean... I've done a lot of dumb things repeatedly that shouldn't be possible.
Including hauling a full ton (probably more) of rock in the bed of my Ranger and towing a 10,000lb trailer with my Explorer.

Doesn't mean it's a good idea, but your cars will probably fine too.

Foxtrot_13
Oct 31, 2013
Ask me about my love of genocide denial!
Every country has these little quirks. Americans tend to be fine running tyres smoother than Patrick Stewart's head but mention running a car more than 3k miles without an oil change or towing more than a tin can and they start sweating.

A two liter oil burner Ford Focus is rated to be able to tow 1500kg. A single bike and trailer is less than half of that.

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

Yeah I mean a single bike trailer and a bike probably weighs about what 3 of my fat friends do and I'm allowed to chauffeur them all over town

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
Took it to the mountains and explored with some local supermoto riders. They were surprisingly responsible and safe to ride with, too.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

Coydog posted:

Took it to the mountains and explored with some local supermoto riders. They were surprisingly responsible and safe to ride with, too.

Yeah, supermotards are usually clean, articulate, and surprisingly well-behaved for motorcyclists. Not like those filthy hoggers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nitramster
Mar 10, 2006
THERE'S NO TIME!!!
Yay a couple more Kawi-goons, welcome!

I just realized I've had my 636 for almost 2 years already. Time flies when you're having fun (and lane splitting in LA traffic)