Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

Collateral Damage posted:

Try using smaller plugs and insert it angled upwards. That's what I have to do.

Don't forget to pull your ear upward as you insert as well!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Coydog posted:

The foam ones work fine for me on many bikes, but I never knew what proper ear protection was until I used the wax style ones from http://earplugsonline.com/ . I swear to you that they feel like they protect twice as much as the 3m ones, and allow me to ride loud and sharp thumpers in comfort. Unlike the 3m, I cannot wear them to concerts, because it blocks out so much. For bikes, I heartily recommend them.

Seriously just get a pair an try it it's not expensive, you have nothing to lose.

God that website is horrible. I'm pretty sure they wrote most of the reviews themselves. While they look the poo poo, they have no NRR published that I can find anywhere. With no industry oversight or certifications, I'll stick with stuff that's been tested.

http://www.webbikeworld.com/Earplugs/hearos/
http://www.webbikeworld.com/Earplugs/disposable-ear-plugs.htm
http://www.webbikeworld.com/r2/heartech/earplugs.htm

Here are the 3M ones I'm using now. Their NRR is 29, so a bit lower than the Howard Leight Max or Hearos

But anything is better than nothing, and tinnitus is loving maddening and lasts forever.

M42
Nov 12, 2012

pun pundit posted:

I'm in the process of getting my license (in Norway, so the mandatory training is quite extensive). The instructors swear by (and the school sells) Klim jackets and pants, but the OP doesn't mention this brand. Does anyone here have experience with Klim stuff?

Klim is like the gold standard of touring gear alongside rukka. The OP is wayyyy outdated.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

BlackMK4 posted:

I roll a plug in my hand until it's as tight as it gets, reach over my head with the opposite hand and pull up on the top of my ear, then get the plug as far in as it will go and hold a finger over it while it expands.

That's what I always do. I had to attend a training course about it.

(Only partially a joke, there was a mandatory H&S briefing before I was allowed into a data centre at one of my old jobs, where I had to learn how to put in ear plugs, to run like gently caress when the Halon alarm went, and also never to run in the data centre. A whole day well spent for someone who'd been working in and around data centres for five years at that point)

Try using smaller plugs and insert it angled upwards. That's what I have to do.

Hmm never heard upwards before, let me give that a go.

Here4DaGangBang
Dec 3, 2004

I beat my dick like it owes me money!
Could you snip the last 5mm or however much is required off the plug with scissors?

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

Mine end up more forwards and upwards, or at least it feels that way. Experiment with your body! :parrot:

Lexorin
Jul 5, 2000

You could always try cutting off a bit of the earplug so it doesn't stick out as much.

I can't recommend enough a pair of noise cancelling earbuds though!

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

I've had good luck with that.

Protip: disposable foam earplugs make really great foam sections for noise-isolating earbuds/IEMS, too. A few minutes with scissors/razor/nail clippers and a toothpick is all it takes.

Also, lick them before you put them in your ears. Gets 'em deeper easier.

Day Man
Jul 30, 2007

Champion of the Sun!

Master of karate and friendship...
for everyone!

pun pundit posted:

I'm in the process of getting my license (in Norway, so the mandatory training is quite extensive). The instructors swear by (and the school sells) Klim jackets and pants, but the OP doesn't mention this brand. Does anyone here have experience with Klim stuff?

Klim stuff is great, but you pay for what you're getting. My Badlands suit protected me well in a recent crash, and if you can afford it, I highly recommend it.

-Inu-
Nov 11, 2008

TWO HUNDRED AND FIFTY CUBIC CENTIMETERS

HenryJLittlefinger posted:

Also, lick them before you put them in your ears. Gets 'em deeper easier.
This is true of many things in life.

Supradog
Sep 1, 2004

A POOOST!?!??! YEEAAAAHHHH

pun pundit posted:

Klim is one of the best when it comes to textile based motorcycle gear. I run a full badlands set and I can say with the usual Norwegian summer weather with at least one local rain shower during your ride the ability to have massive air vents and waterproofness in the same gear without stopping to put on rain gear is really really good. You dont end up in situations where "it's just 50km left, I wont bother to put on my rain gear" and arrive dripping wet.

The main difference between Rukka and Klim is air vents and inner thermo liners.
Rukka has crap air vents and thick build in thermo liners, klim has a ton of air vents and no thermo liners at all.
So with klim you just use what thickness of (devold/aklima etc) merino underwear that is appropriate for the day, vs washing the rukka liner pretty often.

Motorspeed på lillehammer har fullt utvalg og er i nabobygget til importøren. Men, før du blåser masse peng på klim så er det veldig mye brukt Rukka på finn hvis du er usikker på hvor mye du vil blåse på mc hobbyen.

-Inu-
Nov 11, 2008

IMO, the Rukka stuff is top-tier for pure street riding, while the Klim stuff is 100% unbeatable if you plan to go offroad. I wouldn't take Rukka offroad.

Supradog
Sep 1, 2004

A POOOST!?!??! YEEAAAAHHHH
You'd drown in sweat if you have to do any low speed technical stuff.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Lexorin posted:

You could always try cutting off a bit of the earplug so it doesn't stick out as much.

I can't recommend enough a pair of noise cancelling earbuds though!

You mean isolating, not cancelling, yes?

Anyway all I do is hold them in place as I put the helmet on, it's just a slight annoyance.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
Cargo nets are good and everybody should have at least one.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Renaissance Robot posted:

Cargo nets are good and everybody should have at least one.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

A Cargo net will not hold a 30 rack of Budweiser during aggressive acceleration, for most other things they're great!

pun pundit
Nov 11, 2008

I feel the same way about the company bearing the same name.

Supradog posted:

Klim is one of the best when it comes to textile based motorcycle gear. I run a full badlands set and I can say with the usual Norwegian summer weather with at least one local rain shower during your ride the ability to have massive air vents and waterproofness in the same gear without stopping to put on rain gear is really really good. You dont end up in situations where "it's just 50km left, I wont bother to put on my rain gear" and arrive dripping wet.

The main difference between Rukka and Klim is air vents and inner thermo liners.
Rukka has crap air vents and thick build in thermo liners, klim has a ton of air vents and no thermo liners at all.
So with klim you just use what thickness of (devold/aklima etc) merino underwear that is appropriate for the day, vs washing the rukka liner pretty often.

Motorspeed på lillehammer har fullt utvalg og er i nabobygget til importøren. Men, før du blåser masse peng på klim så er det veldig mye brukt Rukka på finn hvis du er usikker på hvor mye du vil blåse på mc hobbyen.

Thanks. I'm in Trondheim so Lillehammer is quite a trek for motorcycle gear. I see they have a web store, I'll see how much I might save after shipping. And I'll check used Rukka stuff too.

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010

Elviscat posted:

A Cargo net will not hold a 30 rack of Budweiser during aggressive acceleration, for most other things they're great!

It will also not hold a gallon jug of milk. Or a 5qt jug of oil. Both of which I have been seen chasing down in my neighborhood.

I keep a folded up paper grocery sack in the tail of the SV for my grocery shopping on the way home. The net grabs on to that pretty well. A couple bungees for extra insurance and you can pretty well strap down whatever you can fit on the tail.

-Inu-
Nov 11, 2008

Elviscat posted:

Rok straps.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

-Inu- posted:

Rok straps.

Seconded

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL

rok CRUISER straps

the regulars are kind thin and flimsy, i use both but the cruisers are the main ones holding poo poo down, the regs just stabilize

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Elviscat posted:

"Ask me how I know"

Schroeder91
Jul 5, 2007

Beach Bum posted:

It will also not hold a gallon jug of milk. Or a 5qt jug of oil. Both of which I have been seen chasing down in my neighborhood.

I keep a folded up paper grocery sack in the tail of the SV for my grocery shopping on the way home. The net grabs on to that pretty well. A couple bungees for extra insurance and you can pretty well strap down whatever you can fit on the tail.

If you use the net for something like that, tuck it through the handle so even if it moves it doesn't go anywhere.

Agreed though, ROK straps fuckin own.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Bah. Who needs a cargo net when you have twenty feet of parachute cord wrapped around the grab handles and ten years in the Boy Scouts?

I'll put my trucker hitches up against a set of bungies any day

Space Whale
Nov 6, 2014

"Ask me how I know"

I lost my can of silicone spray I had in my pillion yet. RIP Silicone.

Throttle quit sticking though!

Space Whale
Nov 6, 2014
What are some good boots with real protection that can be walked in a few blocks between a parking deck and office? Or does that really not exist?

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
They all can. The Alpinestars SMX line crosses the entire pricerange.

Revvik
Jul 29, 2006
Fun Shoe

Space Whale posted:

What are some good boots with real protection that can be walked in a few blocks between a parking deck and office? Or does that really not exist?

I bought some of the clearance Puma 1000 v4 not too long ago from Revzilla, primarily because they came in orange and were better than my A* velcro shoes. I can stand to wear them from the parking lot, up some stairs to work, where I change into sneakers. One shift though, I just left them on all day because I was feeling lazy and I was fine, no blisters.
Just get whatever.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Space Whale posted:

All boots can handle "a few blocks."

I've walked around all day in my Torque D1s, which are some of the more restrictive boots this side of motocross stuff. Not a big deal. I wouldn't want to hike in them, but they're not like rigid ski boots or anything.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

Sagebrush posted:

Bah. Who needs a cargo net when you have twenty feet of parachute cord wrapped around the grab handles and ten years in the Boy Scouts?

I'll put my trucker hitches up against a set of bungies any day

Yeah, but I don't get PTSD every time I say a mustachioed man in short shorts.

karms
Jan 22, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yam Slacker

Z3n posted:

A bit tight in the cheeks is perfect. Or you can pull the cheek pads and compress the foam a bit to get them to flatten a bit.

Did mr. safety just advised to reduce the integrity of a helmet? :psyduck:

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

KARMA! posted:

Did mr. safety just advised to reduce the integrity of a helmet? :psyduck:

The foam in the cheek pads isn't part of the safety of the helmet, it's for comfort. It's the much denser foam in the shell that saves you.

Lexorin
Jul 5, 2000

goddamnedtwisto posted:

You mean isolating, not cancelling, yes?

Anyway all I do is hold them in place as I put the helmet on, it's just a slight annoyance.

No, I mean noise cancelling because that is what they are called - QuietComfort® 20 Acoustic Noise Cancelling® headphones

I'm actually having difficulty finding info on noise isolation headphones though, so I couldn't tell you the difference.

nitrogen
May 21, 2004

Oh, what's a 217°C difference between friends?
Okay, so trying to pull the derail about boots from the other thread...

I currently just have some lovely built boots. I definitely need something better. What do you recommend for mostly street riding that's comfortable?

M42
Nov 12, 2012

Astars smx plus

Space Whale
Nov 6, 2014
Vented or no?

M42
Nov 12, 2012

It's time to upgrade my 3 season textiles. I'm kinda in between the revit sand line and klim altitude line. I've never worn klim and the reviews (for the womens stuff anyway) are a litle meh for the price, but some goons have had issues with revit's recent stuff. Opine @ me pls.

Lynza
Jun 1, 2000

"Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea."
- Robert A. Heinlein

M42 posted:

It's time to upgrade my 3 season textiles. I'm kinda in between the revit sand line and klim altitude line. I've never worn klim and the reviews (for the womens stuff anyway) are a litle meh for the price, but some goons have had issues with revit's recent stuff. Opine @ me pls.

I can't remember if you commute/do a lot of miles, but I had issues with the Sand 2 from Rev'It. It''s well-designed, and I think it'd be OK for someone who was riding maybe once a week rather than twice a day. The rain liner snaps came out of mine, and the velcro on the pockets came loose (even after being repaired, same thing happened). It's pretty good in the rain and the cold, though.

I've had a Klim jacket for almost a month now, and holy poo poo. It's so nice. It's so heavy. I don't know about their women's stuff, though, I don't fit in it, so I wear men's instead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

-Inu-
Nov 11, 2008

M42 posted:

Astars smx plus
This this this,

M42 posted:

I'll give you the best advice in the world right now. Send an email to RevZilla, and tell them that AJ said to ask for Joanne to help you (they'll know who she is). She is probably the most knowledgeable lady's gear person in the country. They'll forward the ticket to her and she'll get back to you within hours. Trust me, do it.

edit: Also, if you include all of your dimensions, she'll be able to give you a size right on the spot. They have all of this gear in the store, and she has a literal spreadsheet of how everything fits on different women at RevZilla.