Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
i really want to get out and do a track day in my e30 before winter sets in but I have no will to spend 10+ hours dropping my rear subframe and burning out the bushings

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

88h88 posted:

This was satisfying to watch. What are we saying here as to the cause of the accident? If drift mode was on then I reckon it couldn't handle the input of the road gradient as usually dorifto is done on relatively flat surfaces. If no drift mode, driver is just bad at driving considering that thing is supposedly easyyyyyyyyyyyyyy to drive like a twat.

I thought the video was deleted but it looks like it was rehosted or something that can be found here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fOelONV_unQ

Dude did not have nearly enough throttle to pull that off. That would suuuck for him when insurance gets a hold of that video.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

e: nevermind

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 18:08 on Sep 7, 2016

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

Is there a Smart car thread?

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

You can't be angry ALL the time!

Fun Shoe
A mouse got into my food drawer at work, ate my bagels, and pooped all over. RIP breakfasts.

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

Angrymog posted:

Is there a Smart car thread?

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3502479&pagenumber=784&perpage=40

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Somewhat Heroic posted:

I thought the video was deleted but it looks like it was rehosted or something that can be found here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fOelONV_unQ

Dude did not have nearly enough throttle to pull that off. That would suuuck for him when insurance gets a hold of that video.

I don't know why people say this. Insurance doesn't magically stop working when you drive like a moron. That would defeat the purpose of insurance.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
Couldn't they cancel his policy? I thought they could cancel your policy under certain circumstances.

e: seems like mostly only if you get a DWI/DUI or your license is suspended or revoked as a result of the incident. http://www.investopedia.com/ask/answers/091815/can-your-insurance-company-drop-you-after-accident.asp

kastein fucked around with this message at 19:43 on Sep 7, 2016

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
maybe, after the claim is processed. it's not like he wadded it up at the track and pretended it happened on public roads.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Ironically enough, they could drop him like a hot potato if it happened on a track. But on a public road? It would be difficult unless (as you said) DWI/DUI were involved or racing were involved. There wasn't any racing there, just a dumbass being a dumbass.

They can (and will) sure as gently caress raise his rates at his next policy renewal though.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
I know if you track race and make a claim and you didn't specifically say on your insurance that you race, they'll drop you.

If he makes a claim, and they don't know, they'll burn you.

blk
Dec 19, 2009
Looks like this will be my last iPhone. I'm not sure what to switch to now that Google is effectively axing Nexus. I like the Winphone UI the best but I don't want to be stuck with Bing search/maps.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

That's an easy one. It was a twisty, public road. He took the corner too fast and wrecked. It would be difficult for the insurance, even with the video, to make an argument for an "exhibition of speed" clause. All the other cars were stopped, it wasn't a race, it was just stupidity. Insurance pays out for stupidity.

:rip: his insurance rates after that, though, because it'll be coded really ugly in the insurance system.

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

Fun Shoe

blk posted:

Looks like this will be my last iPhone. I'm not sure what to switch to now that Google is effectively axing Nexus. I like the Winphone UI the best but I don't want to be stuck with Bing search/maps.
They got rid of the headphone jack. Stupid as poo poo. I'm pleased as punch with my LG G4, it's a swell phone. Had a G2 before that and was never gonna gib it up until I dropped it down a flight of concrete stairs.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

blk posted:

Do they even still make Windows phones?

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

meatpimp posted:

That's an easy one. It was a twisty, public road. He took the corner too fast and wrecked. It would be difficult for the insurance, even with the video, to make an argument for an "exhibition of speed" clause. All the other cars were stopped, it wasn't a race, it was just stupidity. Insurance pays out for stupidity.

:rip: his insurance rates after that, though, because it'll be coded really ugly in the insurance system.

Its a claim involving no other people to pin the blame on. Claims adjuster almost certainly stamps the paperwork and moves on and the kid will pay for it over the next 5-10 years in his premiums.

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

blk posted:

It's a weird feeling that I love iOS but I'm disliking the hardware more and more. I dislike the android OS more than I don't like the apple hardware.
Next month I'm dumping my 6 and getting the iPhone SE. Small phones 4lyf

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
Why is the lack of a headphone jack such a big deal? Use the included adapter

I'm done with Android after this Sony phone

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Because it's a loving headphone jack. I use it everyday, and I don't have to remember a loving adapter.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof
So I did a thing:

Cost me $200 to rent the buffer and both grinding disks: one for sealant removal the other for concrete prep.
Epoxy inbound.

Stay tuned for details.

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

Fun Shoe

BraveUlysses posted:

How ya gonna charge it and listen to it at the same time, smart guy? You got one of those fancy bluetooth receivers for your car? How FAHNNNNSAYYY

Geirskogul posted:

Because it's a loving headphone jack. I use it everyday, and I don't have to remember a loving adapter.
Everyone's gonna lose the adapter within days.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Geirskogul posted:

Adapters are basically what apple do these days, it's loving annoying.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

blk posted:

Not being axed, just rebranded as the Google Pixel line.

Seat Safety Switch posted:

Do they even still make Windows phones?

Surprisingly, yes. There's 10 of them currently listed on the Microsoft store.

Magnus Praeda
Jul 18, 2003
The largess in the land.

BraveUlysses posted:

Because I don't want to stop listening to music just because I need to plug in my loving phone. Also I'm gonna lose that adapter within the first week and Apple's going to charge me $29.99 for a new one or I can get a 3rd party one that pops up a "This accessory may not be supported" message every time I plug it in. It's an asinine and idiotic design choice made because Apple wants to sell accessories, especially headphones, and increase buyer lock-in. It's why Apple's always gone with proprietary connectors rather than using the same standards as everyone else.

Similar to what Somewhat Heroic said, I'm way too invested in iOS/hate Android too much (especially poo poo like TouchWhiz) to overcome my increasing distaste in the hardware choices. I have a 5 right now, but hopefully the 7 release drags the price of the 6S down enough to make it worthwhile to upgrade to that. Then I can ride that out for another 4 or 5 years.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Suck my G3 you gently caressmanApple.

West SAAB Story
Mar 13, 2014

by Athanatos

(and can't post for 236 days!)

Magnus Praeda posted:

Because I don't want to stop listening to music just because I need to plug in my loving phone. Also I'm gonna lose that adapter within the first week and Apple's going to charge me $29.99 for a new one or I can get a 3rd party one that pops up a "This accessory may not be supported" message every time I plug it in. It's an asinine and idiotic design choice made because Apple wants to sell accessories, especially headphones, and increase buyer lock-in. It's why Apple's always gone with proprietary connectors rather than using the same standards as everyone else.

Or, ya know, you can buy a $40 Nexus $10 Wal-Mart Android to listen to your tunes on that has real Bluetooth, and a headphone jack! Oh, and you can use Torque with a $10 ELM327 device, rather than a $70 one.

BraveUlysses posted:

Sony fucks up everything. Back in the day I inherited a P4 laptop back when those were hot poo poo, because the owner didn't want to pay for labor to replace a logic board. I got rid of it in two weeks because I couldn't stand their proprietary drivers which were required to use the keyboard/mouse/clitmouse/fiddlywhatsit (and couldn't disable all of their spammy poo poo at boot and expect it to function). I have no idea why anyone buys anything Sony after around 1996.

West SAAB Story fucked around with this message at 22:43 on Sep 7, 2016

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Or you could buy a not-poo poo phone in the first place, instead of having to juggle two devices.

West SAAB Story
Mar 13, 2014

by Athanatos

Geirskogul posted:

Or you could buy a not-poo poo phone in the first place, instead of having to juggle two devices.

You want a $300+ Torque & Tunes device? I'm happy with something literally disposable for that. I have a phone to use as a phone. It's a Nexus 4.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

Geirskogul posted:

drat loving right.

Seriously, gently caress Apple and their poo poo. They have zero features that other phones didn't get two years ago, their walled garden is absolute bullshit and they are overpriced crap.

Oh and their tax evasion and adviodance is truly legendary disgusting (and one of the worlds largest evasion projects), let alone how they turn a blind eye or at best window dressing attention to worker abuse in their partner factories. Oh and a leader in foreign worker visa abuse. Apple can go die in a loving fire, there wont be a single thing of value last.

Magnus Praeda
Jul 18, 2003
The largess in the land.

West SAAB Story posted:

Or, ya know, you can buy a $40 Nexus $10 Wal-Mart Android to listen to your tunes on that has real Bluetooth, and a headphone jack! Oh, and you can use Torque with a $10 ELM327 device, rather than a $70 one.

Sony fucks up everything. Back in the day I inherited a P4 laptop back when those were hot poo poo, because the owner didn't want to pay for labor to replace a logic board. I got rid of it in two weeks because I couldn't stand their proprietary drivers which were required to use the keyboard/mouse/clitmouse/fiddlywhatsit (and couldn't disable all of their spammy poo poo at boot and expect it to function). I have no idea why anyone buys anything Sony after around 1996.

If I wanted to carry around a separate device just to listen to music, I'd dust off one of my iPods. If I hate the flagship Android phones, why would I ever want to use one of the cheap, lovely, slow-as-balls versions WalMart foists off on people?

I agree with you on Sony being loving useless, though. Even if they are crushing Microsoft in this generation of consoles, I basically only use my PS3 as a blu-ray player these days and gently caress the Vita's proprietary memory cards.

West SAAB Story
Mar 13, 2014

by Athanatos

Magnus Praeda posted:

If I wanted to carry around a separate device just to listen to music, I'd dust off one of my iPods. If I hate the flagship Android phones, why would I ever want to use one of the cheap, lovely, slow-as-balls versions WalMart foists off on people?

I guess I just didn't realize just how incapable a 1.3Ghz dual core ARM is at decoding a 192k stereo audio stream, and how much slower it boots than an iPod. If you smash the screen and login via adb you can pretend it's a shuffle.

Magnus Praeda
Jul 18, 2003
The largess in the land.

West SAAB Story posted:

I guess I just didn't realize just how incapable a 1.3Ghz dual core ARM is at decoding a 192k stereo audio stream, and how much slower it boots than an iPod. If you smash the screen and login via adb you can pretend it's a shuffle.

:wtc:
I seriously don't even know what argument you're trying to make here.

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]
The screen on my stupid G3 has developed dead spots and some sort of short, so it is either partly unresponsive or thinks it's being tapped everywhere at once. It's frustrating because it was fine one night, plugged it in to charge, and the next morning it was all lovely.

West SAAB Story
Mar 13, 2014

by Athanatos

Magnus Praeda posted:

I was being snarky about your iPhone elitism, forbid that you had a cheap, disposable device for, you know, cheap disposable tasks.

QuarkMartial posted:

The screen on my stupid G3 has developed dead spots and some sort of short, so it is either partly unresponsive or thinks it's being tapped everywhere at once. It's frustrating because it was fine one night, plugged it in to charge, and the next morning it was all lovely.

This is often battery related. If you think you are competent enough, take it apart and put some conducting heat tape between the battery and ground.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

Magnus Praeda posted:

Look at the username.

I can't decide whether to put my last new door gasket on the Forester before driving home. It's the only one left leaking... why is Subaru so bad at making door gaskets that don't tear off of the mounting clips? Even Chrysler figured this poo poo out in the 80s!

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost

Magnus Praeda posted:

I agree with you on Sony being loving useless, though. Even if they are crushing Microsoft in this generation of consoles, I basically only use my PS3 as a blu-ray player these days and gently caress the Vita's proprietary memory cards.

I own both the PS4 and Xbox One and I'd be very surprised to learn that Sony is crushing anything in this generation of consoles because Sony keeps forgetting you need to actually produce exclusive content to claim you produce exclusive content and their titles keep coming up poo poo or delayed.

Also how can you dislike Android and Apple simultaneously? you have to pick one or the other man.

Magnus Praeda
Jul 18, 2003
The largess in the land.

Ether Frenzy posted:

I own both the PS4 and Xbox One and I'd be very surprised to learn that Sony is crushing anything in this generation of consoles because Sony keeps forgetting you need to actually produce exclusive content to claim you produce exclusive content and their titles keep coming up poo poo or delayed.

Also how can you dislike Android and Apple simultaneously? you have to pick one or the other man.

It's an older article, sir, but it checks out.
Neither the PS4 nor the 'bone thrill me, but the former is definitely outselling the latter and MS knows it. I'm sitting out this generation in favor of picking up a 1070 or 1080 anyway.

As for picking one (console or phone OS/hardware): :shrug:

kastein posted:

Look at the username.

I can't decide whether to put my last new door gasket on the Forester before driving home. It's the only one left leaking... why is Subaru so bad at making door gaskets that don't tear off of the mounting clips? Even Chrysler figured this poo poo out in the 80s!

You have a point.

I have to replace the rear door seals on my Baja at some point, but :effort:

Tomarse
Mar 7, 2001

Grr

beer update :) :

Tide
Mar 27, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

So I did a thing:

Cost me $200 to rent the buffer and both grinding disks: one for sealant removal the other for concrete prep.
Epoxy inbound.

Stay tuned for details.

This is awesome.

/tuned.

e: also, re iphone without a 3.5mm. I've used bt headphones for as long as I can remember. when i wear headphones, which isn't often. i usually connect via bt to my car or my bt speaker in my office, or via bt to my home receiver. gently caress cords.

Tide fucked around with this message at 00:52 on Sep 8, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

puberty worked me over
May 20, 2013

by Cyrano4747

West SAAB Story posted:

I remembering it taking 4 hours total to get all the poo poo working on a customer's Vaio with a fresh install of Windows back in 2012.

Also glad you're not dead but ambivalent you are posting again.

e: RE: Headphonejackchat: Technology has advanced to the point where you should be using bluetooth for all audio.

puberty worked me over fucked around with this message at 00:56 on Sep 8, 2016

• Locked thread