Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Raskolnikov
Nov 25, 2003

What the absolute gently caress. Was that the season finale? Do I seriously have to wait another year to watch the world burn down around humanity?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Goofballs
Jun 2, 2011

Raskolnikov posted:

What the absolute gently caress. Was that the season finale? Do I seriously have to wait another year to watch the world burn down around humanity?

On wikipedia it says there are 2 more episodes this season

Anyone have a theory on the location the phonecalls to Joanna are coming from?

I'm hoping by the end of the season there will be some clarity on what White Rose and evil Ben Bernanke are really about and what Elliot's "plan" is.

And I guess I want to know who Angela just ran into. Like if they kill off everyone Elliot cares about that will be a real dark season 2 ending.

Goofballs fucked around with this message at 08:46 on Sep 8, 2016

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Grace Gummer may very well be one of the most competent FBI agents in television history.

hypnorotic
May 4, 2009
1: So if Whiterose and E-corp have been in bed together working on the Washington Township Chemical Plant or whatever since 1993, and Darlene, Elliot, and Angela all had their parents killed because of the plant, there must be a reason those three ended up in the situation they are in. Any theories about this? I'm convinced that whatever is/was going on at Washington Township is central to the story but i guess we don't have enough information yet.

2: If Mr Robot is in a conspiracy with Whiterose, does Mr Robot know that Whiterose is working with Price and thus E-corp? Perhaps Mr Robot thought he could ally with Whiterose to bring down E-corp and as a bonus land a massive blow at American capitalism. But we've seen that Price and Whiterose are connected at the hip, as shown in their last meeting where Price threatened to self-destruct and bring down everything if Whiterose took a shot at him.

I'm getting a Lost vibe from this show which is making it all the more enjoyable.

Terminally Bored
Oct 31, 2011

Twenty-five dollars and a six pack to my name
That was Erik Satie's Gnossienne playing quietly in the very beginning of the episode if anyone's wondering. Great OST as usual.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
How does that woman attain such hotness? Because wow.

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

So my friend is pretty certain that Wellick's CTO enemy mentioned living in the Upper East Side of NYC where all the fancy mansion homes are and that the map being shown of where the call was coming from was in the Upper East Side. By now it should be obvious he's been torturing Wellick's wife, which means it wasn't so much the paparazzi, like I'd been speculating.

Same friend is also super complainy that Dom walked into the restaurant instead of waiting for backup on top of being super complainy that the DA shooter did a spray and pray from outside instead of going inside for the confirmed kill. He thinks the show is now a 6/10 because it's focusing too much on fun cinematography instead of focusing on a well paced, interesting plot. It's gonna be rough talking about this show with him now. :(

BTW, Angela is on my shitlist. She wasn't being smart at all in any way, all of that her being stupid poo poo is literally just her being stupid. There is now no way to believe that she purposely was throwing the FBI off, that she got over-interested in having access to files on purpose, and that she went to a government agency as a plan instead of, say, going to a goddamn media outlet who would eat up her story and plaster it everywhere. I have to face the fact that her character is just poorly written this season and I can only hope they somehow save her with the next two episodes, where she will likely be kidnapped.

On the plus side, I still love the pulpy feel of the show and all the amazing poo poo they've done with audio and video here. The last 30 minutes of the episode was the most tense I've ever been over a TV show. That said, the opening shot with Price going on and on about wanting to be the most powerful person in the room? Notice how he starts in the corner and then grows to be most of the frame? That's a fun little metaphor for his growth of power.

DaveKap fucked around with this message at 10:06 on Sep 8, 2016

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

A major spoiler for next week that I just found on the DVR:

Darlene is alive.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

DaveKap posted:

On the plus side, I still love the pulpy feel of the show and all the amazing poo poo they've done with audio and video here. The last 30 minutes of the episode was the most tense I've ever been over a TV show.

Yep. The music over the last 20-25 minutes just kept playing and playing and playing while all the dialogue was being spoken, and you just KNEW some serious poo poo was about to happen, but had no idea when or where or how.

It was fantastic.

old bean factory
Nov 18, 2006

Will ya close the fucking doors?!

Gonz posted:

Yep. The music over the last 20-25 minutes just kept playing and playing and playing while all the dialogue was being spoken, and you just KNEW some serious poo poo was about to happen, but had no idea when or where or how.

It was fantastic.

I didn't notice I was being that tense until right at the end. Holy gently caress. The creepy brownout as Dom is running to the diner was great.

I loved Elliott asking us if we can see anything. Expecting a lot of careful pixel scrutinizing and theories from you guys!

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Goofballs posted:

And I guess I want to know who Angela just ran into. Like if they kill off everyone Elliot cares about that will be a real dark season 2 ending.

It looked like the Dark Army guys that Cisco works for.

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES

ToadStyle posted:

Cisco's head loving explodes. He was the target and gets the first bullet. He doesn't even duck, just looks at the window to see what the fuss is about and :gibs:. Darlene ducks, but then it looks like there's some blood spray coming up into view from where she was. I bet she's alive, but in critical condition.

That was either Cisco's head or a ketchup bottle. Either way, though, he's dead. I just rewatched the scene and he was facing Dom with his back to the window. He failed to duck (RIP).

Darlene ducked at the same time as Dom -- as the shooter leveled his weapon -- so I think she's fine. I didn't notice any spray.

Accretionist fucked around with this message at 13:13 on Sep 8, 2016

DeafNote
Jun 4, 2014

Only Happy When It Rains

Gonz posted:

It was fantastic.

I hope we dont have to wait another year to get the soundtrack for season 2

ukle
Nov 28, 2005

Accretionist posted:

That was either Cisco's head or a ketchup bottle. Either way, though, he's dead. I just rewatched the scene and he was facing Dom with his back to the window. He failed to duck (RIP).

Darlene ducked at the same time as Dom -- as the shooter leveled his weapon -- so I think she's fine. I didn't notice any spray.

FBI lady is covered in blood on her neck and some on her face so someone in front of her died, and given its only on the left side of her face indicates it was Cisco's. Was an amazingly done quick make-up application to get the 'blood' on her, unless they did a very stealthy cut.

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

ukle posted:

FBI lady is covered in blood on her neck and some on her face so someone in front of her died, and given its only on the left side of her face indicates it was Cisco's. Was an amazingly done quick make-up application to get the 'blood' on her, unless they did a very stealthy cut.

Catsup. I'll have to rewatch, but when someone earlier mentioned ketchup bottles it made me think "was that actually blood?" and my recollection was that it didn't look too bloody and maybe now I'm thinking it's more ketchupy.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

Has the show ever used cross-cutting as heavily as it did in episode? Has it ever cross-cut scenes like this before? I want to say that Esmail likes to isolate scenes in order to isolate to characters in them, but I'd have to rewatch literally the entire series to be sure.

Goddamn do I love the cinematography in this show. It's turning me into a cinematography whore.

DaveKap posted:

So my friend is pretty certain that Wellick's CTO enemy mentioned living in the Upper East Side of NYC where all the fancy mansion homes are and that the map being shown of where the call was coming from was in the Upper East Side. By now it should be obvious he's been torturing Wellick's wife, which means it wasn't so much the paparazzi, like I'd been speculating.

That was where my mind went too. But please explain to your friend that tactical realism is not the same thing as a good plot. :v:

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

I know it's fiction and all, but I could not even fathom a world where people are thinking "No big deal, just let China annex Congo"

Grinning Goblin
Oct 11, 2004

Doctor Butts posted:

I know it's fiction and all, but I could not even fathom a world where people are thinking "No big deal, just let China annex Congo"

It isn't that crazy. China has been huge in African agriculture and mining lately and I think most major businesses in the DRC specifically are owned or are largely controlled by Chinese nationals. This has been going on for a while but it generally doesn't get any press coverage because "lol africa".

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

Is this the first episode this season that didn't start with a character-centric cold open flashback?

edit: never mind, forgot Colby was last seen being arrested.

hope and vaseline fucked around with this message at 14:55 on Sep 8, 2016

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Okay -- you talk WAY too fast.
Nap Ghost

Gonz posted:

Grace Gummer may very well be one of the most competent FBI agents in television history.

She might be Meryl Streep's daughter, but she's totally channeling Jodie Foster as Clarice Starling: a competent person navigating dangerous waters whose depths she can't comprehend. She's a highlight of this season for me.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

She's too good at her job, I think.

Like it would take a major conceit to have her not succeed at busting all of fsociety.

Death Vomit Wizard
May 8, 2006
Bottom Feeder

DaveKap posted:

BTW, Angela is on my shitlist. She wasn't being smart at all in any way, all of that her being stupid poo poo is literally just her being stupid. There is now no way to believe that she purposely was throwing the FBI off, that she got over-interested in having access to files on purpose, and that she went to a government agency as a plan instead of, say, going to a goddamn media outlet who would eat up her story and plaster it everywhere. I have to face the fact that her character is just poorly written this season and I can only hope they somehow save her with the next two episodes, where she will likely be kidnapped.

This revelation about Angela really acting dumb and not fake acting dumb disappointed me too, but I don't think you can say that's bad writing. It's just not the character we were hoping for. Angela is impulsive and conflicted and, well, human. If anything this is better writing than a super crafty Angela that has all her moves planned out meticulously, because she was never like that before. The times when we're most likely to act stupid are when we're freaking the gently caress out. Would you even be able to take care of your hair, makeup, alarm etc. if you just found out your childhood friends are the world's most wanted criminals AND you helped them hack the FBI?

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Doctor Butts posted:

She's too good at her job, I think.

Like it would take a major conceit to have her not succeed at busting all of fsociety.

Getting shot at a bunch is helping slow her down. She might end up catching everyone but Elliot, but we know Elliot is a literal wizard at hacking so I doubt she could even find out he was involved. I mean, they still think Wellick is the mastermind.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

Yea, I was 'happy' about the shooting because it was a great way to slow her down, and it gives Darlene enough of an out for being seen with Cisco for the time being.

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Everything is in my control
Lipstick Apathy
Speaking of those shootings, Dom is a bit of a badass isn't she? She's taken down two Dark Army assassins who totally had the drop on her. She really is an asset to the Bureau.

Unlike her dumbass supervisor who insists on putting out a BOLO on Cisco, then less than an hour later says with a straight face that Cisco is probably in hiding and they won't be able to find him because of the BOLO. What the gently caress man?!

empty baggie
Oct 22, 2003

Her supervisor may have ties to the Dark Army for all we know.

Goofballs
Jun 2, 2011

muscles like this? posted:

It looked like the Dark Army guys that Cisco works for.

I thought that as well because the older fat chinese guy has a big head and the guy on the train looks like he's heavyset with no neck and chinese too but the guy cisco meets has hair

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

Just checked out that closing scene again. Neither of them duck before shooting starts, just Dom. She ducks towards Darlene's side of the table and a spray of ketchup/blood can be seen on Darlene's side, most likely what covers Dom. The "blood" on her face after looks too translucent so, rather than ketchup, I'm thinking hot sauce.

E: the walk sign is a nice touch, but someone definitely ran a red light, or the timing of the walk sign relative to the light makes no sense. Or it's making a point about how the sheeple will walk when told to, even if there's a car coming to run them over.

carticket fucked around with this message at 17:38 on Sep 8, 2016

kill me now
Sep 14, 2003

Why's Hank crying?

'CUZ HE JUST GOT DUNKED ON!

empty baggie posted:

Her supervisor may have ties to the Dark Army for all we know.

That may be the reason he was in his room during the hotel shootout with the DA and his agents.

Sounds plausible

Not Al-Qaeda
Mar 20, 2012
a:"why did you start fsociety?"
e:"oh, you're wired up, peace"
cmon elliott it was so obvious..

crowoutofcontext
Nov 12, 2006

I like how the last few episodes had mentions of Bernie and Trump announcing their campaigns. Esmail obviously knew that those asides would have some sort of thematic or ironic resonance but it also was a bit up to chance to see how they would come off. Having this season take place a year prior is an interesting work-around the sometimes problematic time-lag prestige dramas with lengthy production times face.

upgunned shitpost
Jan 21, 2015

Mr. Powers posted:

E: the walk sign is a nice touch, but someone definitely ran a red light, or the timing of the walk sign relative to the light makes no sense. Or it's making a point about how the sheeple will walk when told to, even if there's a car coming to run them over.

I don't think Dark Army jihadis give too many fucks about traffic laws.

Sio
Jan 20, 2007

better red than dead

Grinning Goblin posted:

It isn't that crazy. China has been huge in African agriculture and mining lately and I think most major businesses in the DRC specifically are owned or are largely controlled by Chinese nationals. This has been going on for a while but it generally doesn't get any press coverage because "lol africa".

No, it's totally crazy, even crazier than the existence of E Corp. All the Chinese interests in the world don't make an actual annexation make sense.

Dead Snoopy
Mar 23, 2005
Anticipating a Dom/Eliot alliance because its obvious that the FBI is compromised by E Corp. They don't want the trail running to Angela and whatever the reactor conspiracy is.

I'm not convinced we're getting back to the shootout story-line next week either. Very tellingly, that lone cop car blew the crime scene and kept going across town, where some sore of chaos could be heard. I bet we cut back to the alternate story with Eliot and the other and we save the Dom/Darlene/Cisco for the final and maximum suspense.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

Has anyone been watching the live Mr. Robot after show? It's not incredible but, when allowed, the host has some really quick wit and it's fun to see the cast joke around a bit.

Last night they had a Nora Ephron-like clips of Cisco and Darlene's relationship that was silly.

Carly also got a good dig in that went something like:

Host: Darlene really shocked everyone when she kind of took over fsociety.
Carly: She also shocked the lady from E-Corp

Edit:
Can't find youtube links but here's the whole Hacking Robot 102 episode:
http://www.usanetwork.com/mrrobot/videos/hacking-robot-102

Clip of relationship thing is @ 9:39

Doctor Butts fucked around with this message at 21:04 on Sep 8, 2016

Mr.48
May 1, 2007

nopants posted:

I love how much Joanna's agent relaxes with Elliot. Just slouching on a couch telling stories about his freaky clients.

Was I the only one who was shocked he didn't try to kill Elliot before leaving?

Also, I'm convinced at this point that there is a third personality (besides his dad) that controls Elliot sometimes, and is responsible for the Phase 2 plan, whatever that is. There real question is who it is, since I'm sure that the show creators would have teased us with his appearance at some point earlier in the show without us knowing it.

Mr.48 fucked around with this message at 21:27 on Sep 8, 2016

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

I was shocked until the dude intimated how much he hates the Wellicks.

Plus the dude is flat out amazed at what Elliot can do.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Doctor Butts posted:

Yeah, judging by what we heard of what he said, I doubt he was ever willing to actually kill Elliot. Scare him, rough him up, maybe, but he's smart enough to realize you don't want to kill somebody like Elliot, it's better to get them to keep working for you.

Unlike the Warden, who was just concerned with keeping his gravy train of illicit cash moving.

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

jfood posted:

I don't think Dark Army jihadis give too many fucks about traffic laws.

It was a random car, not the DA dudes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Goofballs
Jun 2, 2011

Doctor Butts posted:

That whole thing with him is weird and I hope they flesh it out a bit. Like he makes it sound like oh I'm just a regular mook who works for important people. But he has killed at least one person on Joanna's behalf which doesn't seem like regular mook stuff. Like I think at that point some guy you hired to protect you and maybe do private detective stuff just says gently caress it I'm out. I guess he's in love with her but he knows he doesn't have a shot and that she's totally nuts.

• Locked thread