Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

M42
Nov 12, 2012

Haha, I know Joanne. She helped me with my gear at scuderia in sf when I lived there, and then later at the revzilla store when I came by last nov. I should've just thought to send her a message on fb. Thanks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pokie
Apr 27, 2008

IT HAPPENED!

I got a thin Merino glove liner - it does the job for these foggy mornings.

-Inu- posted:

edit: And if you do go heated, just get Gerbing. Don't cheap out, and don't bother overpaying for Powerlet.

Alright, let's say I want to spend the big bucks and get all the gear I will need for light winter/rain. Which Gerbing gloves offer best protection/comfort. Should I get a heated vest? Any other heated items?

In terms of pants/jacket - what should I be looking for? I hear that you need to treat leather after rain. With an hour long commute each way, that seems like a pain to me. Are there good alternatives for cold weather gear in this regard?

Lynza
Jun 1, 2000

"Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea."
- Robert A. Heinlein

pokie posted:

I got a thin Merino glove liner - it does the job for these foggy mornings.

I hear that you need to treat leather after rain. With an hour long commute each way, that seems like a pain to me. Are there good alternatives for cold weather gear in this regard?

Textile handles rain a lot better than (most) leather for a couple of reasons:
- There are a lot of good waterproofing sprays for textiles that may not work on leather
- Textiles can be tossed in a washing machine with some waterproofing cleaner/treatment and they're clean, not stinky (wet stuff gets funky fast when it's cold and damp), and re-treated

I think leather would be OK if you took the time to waterproof it well before the rain starts. Then it's just maintenance to keep the leather conditioned.

I've commuted in weather in the low 20s without any heated gear besides heated grips. It's not super comfortable, but I found it's my hands that tend to get cold, and not my legs or torso. Getting some cold-specific compression undergarments might be all you need. It's really going to depend a lot on you, though. You might have a fast metabolism that keeps you warmer, or you might not. Maybe start with layers and see how it goes.

-Inu-
Nov 11, 2008

TWO HUNDRED AND FIFTY CUBIC CENTIMETERS

M42 posted:

Haha, I know Joanne. She helped me with my gear at scuderia in sf when I lived there, and then later at the revzilla store when I came by last nov. I should've just thought to send her a message on fb. Thanks!
Hah. Well there you go! I would usually just hand ladies over to her because she could accomplish what I could (and more) in probably 1/4th the time.

pokie posted:

Alright, let's say I want to spend the big bucks and get all the gear I will need for light winter/rain. Which Gerbing gloves offer best protection/comfort. Should I get a heated vest? Any other heated items?

In terms of pants/jacket - what should I be looking for? I hear that you need to treat leather after rain. With an hour long commute each way, that seems like a pain to me. Are there good alternatives for cold weather gear in this regard?
Out on a video shoot right now, will reply to this when I get home and have a few mins.

pokie
Apr 27, 2008

IT HAPPENED!

Lynza posted:

Textile handles rain a lot better than (most) leather for a couple of reasons:
- There are a lot of good waterproofing sprays for textiles that may not work on leather
- Textiles can be tossed in a washing machine with some waterproofing cleaner/treatment and they're clean, not stinky (wet stuff gets funky fast when it's cold and damp), and re-treated

I think leather would be OK if you took the time to waterproof it well before the rain starts. Then it's just maintenance to keep the leather conditioned.

I've commuted in weather in the low 20s without any heated gear besides heated grips. It's not super comfortable, but I found it's my hands that tend to get cold, and not my legs or torso. Getting some cold-specific compression undergarments might be all you need. It's really going to depend a lot on you, though. You might have a fast metabolism that keeps you warmer, or you might not. Maybe start with layers and see how it goes.

OK. I guess I will start with just the gloves and go from there. Any specific textile gear recommendations in terms of water proof gear and respective treatment?

Lynza
Jun 1, 2000

"Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea."
- Robert A. Heinlein

pokie posted:

OK. I guess I will start with just the gloves and go from there. Any specific textile gear recommendations in terms of water proof gear and respective treatment?

I can't recommend Gore-tex stuff enough. Unfortunately, it's expensive. I live in Oregon, and I'm riding in the rain for 1-2 hours a day about 8 months out of the year. The other 3-4 months are usually dry. For me, it's worth the extra cost to not be sitting at my desk at work with wet pants/shirt.

I wear TCX boots (GTX I think, they're tall "adventure" boots, Gore-tex) and in a year or so, I have not had wet feet. They also don't make my feet sweat, even in the summer, which is awesome.

I've got a Klim Badlands jacket. That's new, and previously I had a Rev'It Sand 2 jacket which did a good job of keeping me dry. I just wasn't happy at all with the build quality of it. In fact, depending on your size, I'd be happy to send it to you for shipping if you'd like. It's got 2 liners; one for rain, and another for thermal. It kept me warm and dry. The rain liner needs some repair (the snaps pull through) and the pockets could use some sewing of the Velcro, but it's a solid jacket.

I have a cheap pair of Tourmaster overpants which I bought when I took my MSF a couple years ago. They don't do a great job of keeping me dry, which is why I recently bought some Klim Badlands pants. Can't wear them yet, as the sale ones I got are a little too small.

I wear Rukka lobster gloves in the winter/rain and I love them. They're not as protective as some, but they are extremely waterproof and keep my hands warm. Revzilla had a sale (and they seem to go on sale pretty often) for about $109 for them, which was a good deal.

For any textile gear, https://www.rei.com/learn/expert-advice/rainwear-dwr.html (TekWash) stuff is awesome. There's a wash-in and a spray. Gore-tex stuff can be laundered in a regular machine, too, which is awesome. I just washed my lobster gloves, actually. It's gross and amazing how stinky gear can get just from getting wet and not drying out as fast as it could.

One thing I love that I got last winter is a boot dryer. You can get some different attachments for it. I've got the ones for gloves and boots, and also helmets. They might run you a bit of money, but that thing has been so worth it. Since I commute daily, I throw my stuff over/on it with the "heat" option, and let it dry overnight. In the morning, it's bone-dry. No soggy damp cold-rear end gear in the morning is glorious.

Dutymode
Dec 31, 2008

Can I call dibs if Pokie doesn't want it and it's a medium?

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

nitrogen posted:

Okay, so trying to pull the derail about boots from the other thread...

I currently just have some lovely built boots. I definitely need something better. What do you recommend for mostly street riding that's comfortable?

I have a pair of Forma Adventure's, which seen very protective and have nice adjustability, they're also well priced, and someone posted a picture of the "short" (i.e. normal height) version in the other thread.

I also have a pair of Cortech Latigo RR's that we're super cheap, and are some of the most comfortable footwear I own, it's like air conditioning for your feet. I think they compromise on protection a little though, I can defeat the anti-roll plastic boys without too much effort. Likely a step up from bilt crap though.

I wish Spidi, or A* or anything but $$$ Dainese poo poo for my feet :(

M42
Nov 12, 2012

"Oh wow, revzilla's telling me alpinestars just released literally 100 new products for fall! There's gotta be at least a couple dozen women's things in there, right?! Maybe they've finally made a women's gp-pro glove!"

:rant:

(they haven't)

pokie
Apr 27, 2008

IT HAPPENED!

Thanks for the advise, Lynza. I am going to wait for -lnu- to respond and compile a shopping list from that. And feel free to send your older gear to Dutymode if they want it :].

Dutymode posted:

Feel free to have it.

nitrogen
May 21, 2004

Oh, what's a 217°C difference between friends?
Tourmaster's "Sonora air" jacket is the best warm-hot weather vented jacket for the price I found when I shopped last year. I tried four other jackets before I found this one and fell in love with it

http://www.tourmaster.com/inc/sdetail/sonora_air/1062/387

Shoulder and elbow pads that come with seem excellent (and crash tested by myself) very well too.

I currently have a pair of armored jeans that I wear, but after whatever new boots I decide to get come in, I will probably get you pants as well.

I got the jeans in an attempt to find something I can wear all day and wouldn't look stupid, but they look really thick and stupid anyway. Besides I'm used to changing before I leave for work anyway now.

nitrogen fucked around with this message at 23:42 on Sep 9, 2016

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib

HenryJLittlefinger posted:

God that website is horrible. I'm pretty sure they wrote most of the reviews themselves. While they look the poo poo, they have no NRR published that I can find anywhere. With no industry oversight or certifications, I'll stick with stuff that's been tested.

That is stupid, and I know you aren't stupid. Could you not trust me and all of ADVrider for :10bux: ? Buy them from amazon like I did. I'm telling you they are magic, and you will be telling me they are magic the second you try them ONCE.
https://www.amazon.com/Worlds-Fines...s+best+earplugs
I've put 10,000 miles on them since may and they are completely awesome.

Do you trust me?!

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Coydog posted:

That is stupid, and I know you aren't stupid. Could you not trust me and all of ADVrider for :10bux: ? Buy them from amazon like I did. I'm telling you they are magic, and you will be telling me they are magic the second you try them ONCE.
https://www.amazon.com/Worlds-Fines...s+best+earplugs
I've put 10,000 miles on them since may and they are completely awesome.

Do you trust me?!

If I trusted all of ADVRider about a lot of things I'd probably be permanently single, drunk, and belligerent.

But if you're going to challenge me, I'll get a pair and report back after some rides with my obnoxious Supertrapp.

Edit: the website is still poo poo and there's still no industry oversight.

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010

M42 posted:

"Oh wow, revzilla's telling me alpinestars just released literally 100 new products for fall! There's gotta be at least a couple dozen women's things in there, right?! Maybe they've finally made a women's gp-pro glove!"

:rant:

(they haven't)

You just need to become a MotoGP star so that the big euro names will start taking women sport riders seriously and expand their product lines.

Beach Bum fucked around with this message at 05:23 on Sep 9, 2016

nitrogen
May 21, 2004

Oh, what's a 217°C difference between friends?
Well, for the purists of us that want to maintain our hearing (like myself, who was born hard of hearing) We need the NRR rating to know if they are good enough for our application.

For something like hearing, you really cannot go by "what feels okay"

To know if the plugs are effective, and will work for what we need them to, we need to know what they are rated at.

Average wind noise on a motorbike is 110db. (If you want to argue with me, the math still works if you change the number here)

So if your awesome plugs have a rating of 20NRR or better, they work great for motorcycles. If their rating is only 10 or less, I at least know how much exposure to the noise I can safely handle. (100db of noise according to OSHA is ok for 2 hours a day for instance.)

Get the noise to 90 or below and you're good for up to 8 hours.

Because i'm a nut that was born hard of hearing, I want to protect mine to the best of my ability, so I use these. NRR of 33, so that brings me down to 77db or lower. Makes listening to music a bit harder though through teh helmet at speed.

More info:
https://www.osha.gov/SLTC/noisehearingconservation/

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
I respect that, and understand the need for a standard. Otherwise, how could you choose? Still, remember that the products which are rated existed prior to the rating. The rating doesn't make the protection, it just identifies it. On that serious note, what could get past if your ears feel a drastic improvement to protection? My ear-dyno tells me that the wax style plugs I linked protect me almost twice as much, and eliminated the hearing damage that wind and loud thumper exhausts gave me even with 3m earplugs properly used. But, is there another damaging frequency that could get by?

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Lexorin posted:

No, I mean noise cancelling because that is what they are called - QuietComfort® 20 Acoustic Noise Cancelling® headphones

I'm actually having difficulty finding info on noise isolation headphones though, so I couldn't tell you the difference.

Noise-isolating means they have an earbud designed to keep ambient noise out as opposed to just holding the bud in place - "in-ear monitors" are the other main term people use for them. They cut ambient noise by up to 30db.

You should never use active noise-cancelling (like those ones - ones that play back an out-of-phase version of the ambient noise) in situations where the ambient noise is beyond the hearing damage threshold. They're not designed to protect your hearing so may (probably will) allow a damaging amount of noise through, and some models will end up pumping pretty damaging ultrasound into your ears in that situation. They can also cause vertigo, which is a massive loving problem on a bike.

Here4DaGangBang
Dec 3, 2004

I beat my dick like it owes me money!

Coydog posted:

Do you trust me?!

/I can show you the world
/Indescribable feelings
/Very minimal hearing
/On this motorcycle ride

Marxalot
Dec 24, 2008

Appropriator of
Dan Crenshaw's Eyepatch

Coydog posted:

I respect that, and understand the need for a standard. Otherwise, how could you choose? Still, remember that the products which are rated existed prior to the rating. The rating doesn't make the protection, it just identifies it. On that serious note, what could get past if your ears feel a drastic improvement to protection? My ear-dyno tells me that the wax style plugs I linked protect me almost twice as much, and eliminated the hearing damage that wind and loud thumper exhausts gave me even with 3m earplugs properly used. But, is there another damaging frequency that could get by?

Plugs block high frequency sound better than they do low. If you haven't noticed.

That said, regular plain "I bought 200 pairs of these for $25 at a safety supply store/lowes/home depot" foam earplugs own, like Nitrogen said. https://www.amazon.com/Rsoft-Blasts-Earplugs-Uncorded-Yellow/dp/B00K0Y46VU
If they're dirty throw them out. Stop putting nasty old poo poo in your ears.

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

Here4DaGangBang posted:

/I can show you the world
/Indescribable feelings
/Very minimal hearing
/On this motorcycle ride
:perfect:

pun pundit
Nov 11, 2008

I feel the same way about the company bearing the same name.

Supradog posted:

Motorspeed på lillehammer har fullt utvalg og er i nabobygget til importøren. Men, før du blåser masse peng på klim så er det veldig mye brukt Rukka på finn hvis du er usikker på hvor mye du vil blåse på mc hobbyen.

Thanks again, they had 2015 model Adventure Rally jacket and pants in my size heavily discounted for fall, so now that's in the mail. I checked sizes vs other Klim stuff at the driving school.

As Nero Danced
Sep 3, 2009

Alright, let's do this
Something else I found in the earplug world, not sure if anyone else has tried them is plugfones. Little earbuds that try to block noise out. They're alright, but I haven't had any other earplugs to compare them to. One problem I've had is the earplug staying in after pulling out the earbud and not having much material to grab onto to pull it back out, but tweezers and in one instance needle nose pliers took care of it. Supposedly have an NRR of 25, going by their website.

As headphones they're, well, they're ok but nothing exceptional. Considering how small they are I'm not too surprised.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

As Nero Danced posted:

They're alright, but I haven't had any other earplugs to compare them to. One problem I've had is the earplug staying in after pulling out the earbud and not having much material to grab onto to pull it back out, but tweezers and in one instance needle nose pliers took care of it.

This only gets worse over time as earwax greases them up. I solved it by gorilla gluing the base of the plugs to the driver, reasoning that by the time they wore out the headphones would also be dead from wire fatigue or something.

They work great, my only gripe is that the headphones I use them with are made of hard plastic and so transmit a lot of high frequency noise (albeit at lower volume). I'll have to buy something with a more rubbery finish next time.

JHVH-1
Jun 28, 2002
That reminds me back when I used to work in a data center I would use earbuds with the tips you could replace and had foam ones from http://www.earplugstore.com

Lots of options there for decent prices.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

I made my own noise-isolating earbuds by cutting some foamy earplugs in half, punching 1/8 inch hole through the middle with a leather punch (squish them totally flat before you do this) and then sliding those over the earbud horns. They seem to have exactly the same sound blocking capability as the original earplugs , and the sound is still fine , albeit a little quieter than with the earbuds' original flanges.

Lynza
Jun 1, 2000

- Robert A. Heinlein

Dutymode posted:

Alas, not a medium.

M42
Nov 12, 2012

I use etymotics 99% of the time now, since they're attached to my sena base.

Lynza, is it an xs or s?

Lynza
Jun 1, 2000

- Robert A. Heinlein

M42 posted:

Lynza, is it an xs or s?

I feel like we're playing 20 Questions. :D

Nope, the Sand 2 is a 3XL. If anyone wants it, I'll be happy to ship it to you for the price of the shipping.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Sagebrush posted:

I made my own noise-isolating earbuds by cutting some foamy earplugs in half, punching 1/8 inch hole through the middle with a leather punch (squish them totally flat before you do this) and then sliding those over the earbud horns. They seem to have exactly the same sound blocking capability as the original earplugs , and the sound is still fine , albeit a little quieter than with the earbuds' original flanges.

:hfive:

Protip: disposable foam earplugs make really great foam sections for noise-isolating earbuds/IEMS, too. A few minutes with scissors/razor/nail clippers and a toothpick is all it takes.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

M42 posted:

Which ones? All the ones I can see look like they'd stick out super far, and the low profile ones (er6i) are no longer available.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

Renaissance Robot posted:

Which ones? All the ones I can see look like they'd stick out super far, and the low profile ones (er6i) are no longer available.

I use these.
http://www.etymotic.com/consumer/earphones/mk5.html

They're in-ear. Nothing will stick out. I highly recommend them.

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

Lynza posted:

I feel like we're playing 20 Questions. :D

Nope, the Sand 2 is a 3XL. If anyone wants it, I'll be happy to ship it to you for the price of the shipping.

Is it a men's or a women's? That may actually be big enough to fit my wife (she's over 6', most women's gear does not come large enough for her, and it's hard to find even men's gear that will accommodate her bosom)

e: bonus points for shipping costs equaling driving across town to meet somewhere and get it

Militant Lesbian fucked around with this message at 19:28 on Sep 9, 2016

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Chichevache posted:

I use these.
http://www.etymotic.com/consumer/earphones/mk5.html

They're in-ear. Nothing will stick out. I highly recommend them.

I put this question to the headphones thread:

Tactical Lesbian posted:

Paging KozmoNaut and Tactical Lesbian (and other helmet-wearers):

I need a new set of IEMs that are super low profile and really noise-isolating for under my motorcycle helmet. My helmet is pretty snug and my ears stick out a little I guess, because all the ones I've used so far end up causing a good bit of fatigue after an hour or two. Do you think the Etymotic ETY-Kids would fit the bill? Since sound quality isn't priority, I've tried Skull Candy Budz, some cheap Phillips, and some iFrogs (which are surprisingly good all around) from Walmart. They all are both wide enough and high-profile enough that my helmet jams them into my ears and they get painful. And sometimes they conduct wind noise directly into my brain which is terrible.

I've also considered buying one of those mold-your-own earplug kits and modifying one of my older pairs into them, but if there's a good solution I'd prefer to put funds toward that instead.

Budget is about $40.

Check out the Audio Technica ATH-IM50s? Alternatively: MEE audio M6 PRO

I sound like a broken record, but if you can stretch your budget and just get these drat Shure SE215s you will not be disappointed; they fit FLUSH and sound ~fabulous~ for a cool hundo. They also have better isolation than the Audio Technicas or the MEEs, which is cool & good for wind noise. The Etys would almost certainly touch the helmet, and in the most annoying way.

I eventually settled on the MEE audio M6 Pro. They take a little bit of futzing to get a helmet on over, but stay really well. I love them. Pretty good sound quality, too, as long as you're not looking for a ton of bass.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe
FWIW I've found the Sena speakers with bog-standard foam earplugs to be more than good enough for my needs.

In-ear stuff wouldn't be much use for me because half my riding time (although thankfully not miles) is urban commuting where earplugs would not only be pointless, but could even be dangerous, so having the speakers permanently installed and just turning them down if I use them then is much better for me.

ArcticZombie
Sep 15, 2010
With foam earplugs and the regular sena speakers, I find it impossible to hear the Google Now voice at 60+. No problem hearing the music or the sena speaking itself, but I can't find a way to turn that drat voice up. A slight improvement to barely being able to hear the music at those speeds without earplugs though.

I swear the speakers were louder in my Shark compared to my K-5. Maybe the speaker holes don't line up with my ears as well.

Lynza
Jun 1, 2000

- Robert A. Heinlein

HotCanadianChick posted:

Is it a men's or a women's? That may actually be big enough to fit my wife (she's over 6', most women's gear does not come large enough for her, and it's hard to find even men's gear that will accommodate her bosom)

e: bonus points for shipping costs equaling driving across town to meet somewhere and get it

It's a men's, and it should fit her great. I can bring it in to work on Monday, I work downtown. We can figure out a way to meet up.

HAMAS HATE BOAT
Jun 5, 2010
With foam earplugs I can run my Sena at max volume -1 and it works fine unless I'm doing like 80+. The actual max volume gets distorted.

This is, however, behind a fairing of a p-twin with stock exhaust, in a Shoei GT Air, with the chin curtain in, and a Buff on (which cuts noise more than you would expect).

Usually if I have trouble hearing, the problem is more related to the equipment on the right handlebar than the electronics on the helmet.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
Yeah I'm fairly sure that between being flip front and a £70 LS2 my helmet is leaky as gently caress for wind.

I'll treat myself to a new lid just as soon as I get a job. Five weeks and no callbacks though :negative:

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

ArcticZombie posted:

With foam earplugs and the regular sena speakers, I find it impossible to hear the Google Now voice at 60+. No problem hearing the music or the sena speaking itself, but I can't find a way to turn that drat voice up. A slight improvement to barely being able to hear the music at those speeds without earplugs though.

I swear the speakers were louder in my Shark compared to my K-5. Maybe the speaker holes don't line up with my ears as well.

Yeah it's amazing how much a cm either way in the alignment of the speakers makes. Worth checking that because there's normally a fair amount of wiggle room. Having said that, you *have* turned up the volume in Maps, haven't you? Settings>Navigation>Voice level.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

goddamnedtwisto posted:

urban commuting where earplugs would not only be pointless, but could even be dangerous

I don't understand this argument. Why is hearing such an important sense on a bike, when even with earplugs you probably hear more of the traffic than your average joe in his car with the radio on does?