Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

D34THROW
Jan 29, 2012

RETAIL RETAIL LISTEN TO ME BITCH ABOUT RETAIL
:rant:

sweeperbravo posted:

but they were getting paid less than us per hour to begin with, and since they weren't full time, there was no overtime pay for them, so while we were getting time and a half every hour over 40, they were still getting the part time rate no matter how many hours they worked :allears:.

I'm not a lawyer but I'm pretty sure the FLSA makes that illegal, it doesn't matter if you're full- or part-time, any hours over 40 in a week must be paid at time and a half, except for a few exemptions.

I hate seeing people taken advantage of without knowing they're being taken advantage of like that. :smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sweeperbravo
May 18, 2012

AUNT GWEN'S COLD SHAPE (!)

D34THROW posted:

I'm not a lawyer but I'm pretty sure the FLSA makes that illegal, it doesn't matter if you're full- or part-time, any hours over 40 in a week must be paid at time and a half, except for a few exemptions.

I hate seeing people taken advantage of without knowing they're being taken advantage of like that. :smith:

There was a lot of stuff like that that went on, stuff we knew was wrong and I think if any of us actually thought we were going to spend the rest of our lives, or even a full year, working there, maybe somebody would have tried to bring it to the attention of someone who could do something about it. But yeah :( A lot of those kids were in school and stuff, like trying to earn degrees so they could go on to live better lives. All this poo poo happened right in the middle of finals and stuff. Oh and then after the holidays a bunch of people just straight up got fired, like literally the first day back after New Year's. The positions online had not been listed as temp/seasonal, like these folks applied for full time or non-seasonal part time positions. Like bam, bam, bam, I remember the manager just one by one called three people into her office and let them go one after another. One was a dad with 2 young kids, one was a girl with severe health problems who really needed the money so she could get surgery, I forget who the third one was that day because a lot of people also just quit around the same time.

We also definitely didn't follow the rules about the hours worked:breaks required ratio when it was the holidays. One weekend I was there at 6:30 in the morning so we could open at 7 (normal hours were i think 8 or even 9, but we had extended hours for a few weeks) and didn't get my first break of the day until about 5:15.

Never in my life have I ever considered taking up smoking as seriously as I did when I worked there.

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004

Lol.i halbve already saod i inferno circstances wanttpgback
I had a transaction today that epitomizes why people hate working registers.

An old man wheeled up to my register and I hit him with the usual. How you doing? Find everything OK? I'll chat more than that, but only if the person on the other end of things wants to. He didn't.

"What's the damage?" he asked.

"Seven fifty-two, sir."

I bagged his groceries up nice and neat, taking a few seconds to make sure it was done right. Then I stacked everything up in his cart, finished the transaction, thanked him for coming, and wished him a lovely day. You know. Cashier stuff. He shuffled out of my lane, and I turned to the next customer.

"Hey buddy, you got your store card with you today?"

I started ringing him up, then we both stopped and looked as the old man waylaid the CSM and started yelling at her. "I asked if you all had ice and the man on four never even said anything back to me! I AM NEVER SHOPPING HERE AGAIN!"

I wonder who he talked to on aisle four. Weird. Dunno why some people can't take a second to answer a customer's question. Wait. Maybe he talked to the cashier behind me? I glanced up. The other cashier was on three. I was on four.

Wait, what the gently caress? He means me?

The CSM looked at me. I looked back at her like a deer caught in the headlight of a clown's tricycle, then looked at the customer across from me. His right eyebrow had climbed to a .5 on the Dwayne Johnson scale.

"He never asked for any ice," I said, after he'd stormed off. "He asked what the damage was."

The other customer pointed at me. "He's right. The dude never asked for ice." The CSM and her assistant ended up just as confused as everyone else.

One more day.

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

You know where you are? You're in the suburbs, baby. You're gonna drive.

Why is it the rear end in a top hat manager at my store has breath that smells like an open sewer? As in, I am seriously concerned for his health and I am contemplating complaining to HR it smells so bad.

On a related note, he yelled at me (in front of other employees and customers) today. Why? I asked him for help with a complex return. He takes over my register, a line forms, and I hopped on the one available register to help thin out the line. I wouldn't have minded so much if I weren't loving downwind.

Seriously, the attitude he takes whenever one of us has an issue he has the ability to solve makes me wonder why/how the gently caress he became a loving retail manager.

Tiny Deer
Jan 16, 2012

I have a weird feeling the answer to both of your questions is work-related alcoholism.

Angry Pie
Feb 4, 2007
Do you want a piece of me?!

NerdyMcNerdNerd posted:

An old man wheeled up to my register and I hit him with the usual. How you doing? Find everything OK? I'll chat more than that, but only if the person on the other end of things wants to. He didn't.

"What's the damage?" he asked.

"Seven fifty-two, sir."

I bagged his groceries up nice and neat, taking a few seconds to make sure it was done right. Then I stacked everything up in his cart, finished the transaction, thanked him for coming, and wished him a lovely day. You know. Cashier stuff. He shuffled out of my lane, and I turned to the next customer.

"Hey buddy, you got your store card with you today?"

I started ringing him up, then we both stopped and looked as the old man waylaid the CSM and started yelling at her. "I asked if you all had ice and the man on four never even said anything back to me! I AM NEVER SHOPPING HERE AGAIN!"

I wonder who he talked to on aisle four. Weird. Dunno why some people can't take a second to answer a customer's question. Wait. Maybe he talked to the cashier behind me? I glanced up. The other cashier was on three. I was on four.

Wait, what the gently caress? He means me?

The CSM looked at me. I looked back at her like a deer caught in the headlight of a clown's tricycle, then looked at the customer across from me. His right eyebrow had climbed to a .5 on the Dwayne Johnson scale.

"He never asked for any ice," I said, after he'd stormed off. "He asked what the damage was."

The other customer pointed at me. "He's right. The dude never asked for ice." The CSM and her assistant ended up just as confused as everyone else.

One more day.

I think this guy is suffering from terminal mush mouth and he didn't actually say "what's the damage", he said "where's the drat ice".

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004

I thought about that, but I answered him. Any normal person would have corrected me, or repeated themselves, or something. That doesn't mean you aren't correct, it just makes it weirder.

AbrahamLincolnLog
Oct 1, 2014

Note to self: This one's the shitty one

NerdyMcNerdNerd posted:

I thought about that, but I answered him. Any normal person would have corrected me, or repeated themselves, or something. That doesn't mean you aren't correct, it just makes it weirder.

Yeah, but then he wouldn't be able to get you in "trouble" and feel vindicated if he tried to repeat himself.

MC Hawking
Apr 27, 2004

by VideoGames
Fun Shoe
Some few days I love retail.

The time before the lights come on and the entire store is empty. Shelves are stocked and clean and the cricket who lives in the bathroom is chirping out a calming melody for me as the mop bucket mutters about being full. The steady swish of the fans and the acidic tang of pine sol clean floors. It is the moment of zen before the hordes of shoppers decimate the calm.

The evening guys are finally doing their job. I am satisfied with 75% effort in the face of overwhelming malaise towards our work. Mornings are filled with the cheery air of the coffee maker battling it out with the microwave over energy policy. Apparently my boss's addiction to Fox News has been rubbing off on the microwave. I side with the coffee maker, who supports solar and wind power but lets face it; I'm a bleeding heart liberal who believes in a womans rights to choose and a solid taxation platform. Not that retail provides enough money or time to study tax policy or even have much meaty money to carve off my paycheck, but it's the principle of the matter, you know?

The ice machine grumbles quietly. It has been quiet for the last several months considering the ramifications of the Dallas shootings. From what I can gather between meditative stretches, it feels the ramifications of utilizing a robot strapped with bombs to kill a suspect is a vast overreach of police power. However I can't be sure if it just wants wheels to flee its single minded existence. I genuinely feel remorse for its plight. I too would be depressed were I a freezer with no other role in life. Indeed, I sometimes wonder if I am actually awake and this life is not a lucid dream.

I was counting change the other day, chatting with a customer about their order and the quarters they handed me glowed with an inner light. They did not see it, but I felt the heat from within the discs of metal.

My boss enters and leaves like a phantom. The only proof I have that he actually exists are the steady churn of signed checks which I fill out for vendors. When he is corporeal I convince him to buy Amy Schumer tickets for one of my coworkers as a surprise for his dedicated service. I am looking forward to him having a heart attack of glee. As he resembles a ghoul, this probably won't hurt him to much but if it did I am sure he would be glad to embrace death to end his suffering.

I love quiet mornings. Only me, the crickets and the ice machine humming away. One day I shall ask it the secret for a happy life.

MC Hawking fucked around with this message at 04:58 on Sep 9, 2016

Commandante
Oct 1, 2009

NerdyMcNerdNerd posted:

Put down "ANY" availability, if you can swing it. That'll help you get in the door no matter what. It's like catnip for managers. Most of them know it to be a lie, or suspect it, but they just can't help themselves.

Ask questions during the interview. Not a lot. Talk about stuff relevant to the job. It isn't too hard to seem like you care that you're there, which puts you ahead of the pack.

The "any" availability is the thing that makes us notice most.

Stocking is dead easy I wouldn't worry about your ability, they just want someone who won't goof off, actually try to compete their task and won't no show on the regular.

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004

Commandante posted:

Stocking is dead easy I wouldn't worry about your ability, they just want someone who won't goof off, actually try to compete their task and won't no show on the regular.

The bar really is that low.

Just doing the most basic things astonished managers. I had multiple people tell me, "I've never seen a janitor wipe down case doors before." and, "I'm surprised you emptied out all the register trash. No one else does that."

I was never motivated by the thought of being promoted, or getting a raise, or anything like that. But when I did my job quickly, I got to leave work that much sooner. When I did it well, nobody questioned the quality of what I'd done. I worked very hard to leave early every single day, and for that, I've been promoted. :v:

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

If you really want to stand out from the crowd as a stocker just demonstrate that you comprehend stock rotation

Like the simplest loving thing that is somehow still screwed up because putting new stuff at the back is hard or something

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

Double post but our HR has seen fit to make sure all stores have a posted minute-by-minute listing of the events of 9/11

:psyduck:

sweeperbravo
May 18, 2012

Shugojin posted:

Double post but our HR has seen fit to make sure all stores have a posted minute-by-minute listing of the events of 9/11

:psyduck:

NEVER
FORGET.

NEVER FORGET A SINGLE DETAIL

also I first read this as you guys were supposed to read that over the PA system like as if it was happening in real time again. That would be even more :psyduck:

Mountaineer
Aug 29, 2008

Imagine a rod breaking on a robot face - forever

NerdyMcNerdNerd posted:

I also just had an encounter with unnecessarily lovely old people.

In my case, there was an old lady who called with questions about poster frames, and I answered those questions to her satisfaction. Then later she came into the store with her husband asking me to show them the frames I told her about earlier. I did, they had some more questions about frames and I answered those, again apparently to their satisfaction. When they decided on what frames they wanted, I rang up their purchase, thanked them for shopping with us and all that, and they went off on their way. Perfectly normal ending to a perfectly normal customer interaction, right?

Well apparently not. They went straight to my manager and complained that I was a bad employee. Was I unhelpful? No. Was I rude? No. According to them, there was just "something" they couldn't define that seemed bad about me and felt strongly enough about it to complain to management and suggest they do something about me. I got pretty upset when the manager notified me of the complaint because it was so arbitrary and baseless, especially since I thought I'd been entirely helpful. Thankfully the manager told me to just shrug it off as random shittiness, it wasn't like she was going to discipline me for such a vague complaint. Still, it was hard not to feel like I was being reprimanded for basically no reason.

Mountaineer fucked around with this message at 05:03 on Sep 10, 2016

creatine
Jan 27, 2012

Mountaineer posted:

I also just had an encounter with unnecessarily lovely old people.

In my case, there was an old lady who called with questions about poster frames, and I answered those questions to her satisfaction. Then later she came into the store with her husband asking me to show them the frames I told her about earlier. I did, they had some more questions about frames and I answered those, again apparently to their satisfaction. When they decided on what frames they wanted, I rang up their purchase, thanked them for shopping with us and all that, and they went off on their way. Perfectly normal ending to a perfectly normal customer interaction, right?

Well apparently not. They went straight to my manager and complained that I was a bad employee. Was I unhelpful? No. Was I rude? No. According to them, there was just "something" they couldn't define that seemed bad about me and felt strongly enough about it to complain to management and suggest they do something about me. I got pretty upset when the manager notified me of the complaint because it was so arbitrary and baseless, especially since I thought I'd been entirely helpful. Thankfully the manager told me to just shrug it off as random shittiness, it wasn't like she was going to discipline me for such a vague complaint. Still, it was hard not to feel like I was being reprimanded for basically no reason.

Were they white and you are black, Asian, other non-white or do you have visible tattoos, piercings, non traditional hair? Old people are hella racist and from the sounds of it they wanted to complain about something like that but know that they would laughed out if they said their true reason.

Mountaineer
Aug 29, 2008

Imagine a rod breaking on a robot face - forever
Y'know, it occurred to me after posting that someone could easily interpret my story that way. I'm actually white as hell, have very plain straight hair, no tattoos or piercings, and dress in a reasonably conservative manner.

Honestly I'm starting to think it was just bad body language, which might be difficult for some people to describe as being wrong in any specific way. I have some social anxiety issues and can tense up a little when talking to strangers (so customer service is actually a terrible job for me to have) and maybe I looked like I was uncomfortable while helping them? Even if that's so, still really lovely to try to get me in trouble for something so minor after being nothing but helpful.

Mountaineer fucked around with this message at 20:23 on Sep 10, 2016

sweeperbravo
May 18, 2012

Was she just complaining hoping they'd give her money back or store credit or something to assuage her dissatisfaction, but then got tired partway through and didn't stick it to the end?

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Edit: nevermind.

litany of gulps
Jun 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

NerdyMcNerdNerd posted:

I can only wear the company branded hoodie on the floor, but whatever I want while I'm dicking around in the back. I'm hoping I won't be spending too much time in the deep freeze because the temp hovers around 0. If you pull on a jacket, your top half is fine, but then you move your leg and your frozen khakis caress your thigh.

If a glove is too thick, or not made of the right material, your fingers get too clumsy and arranging things just so becomes a pain in the rear end. If you operate without gloves, your hands will get very frozen after a few hours of reaching into cases.

I always found duck hunting gloves to be the best. Waterproof, some brands are excellent against the cold while still remaining thin enough to operate a telexon or gemini scanner.

You want a good underlayer with no airgaps, too. Thermal long johns and shirt, with the bottom of the pants tucked into your socks, and the shirt tucked in to the waist of the pants. Leather boots and wool socks. A knit cap is a must.

PenguinKnight
Apr 6, 2009

a group of about 20 tweens came in tonight. they trashed the candy and seasonal aisle.

thank God tomorrow is my last day. sweet, sweet high paying freedom.

there will only be 5 people left when I'm gone. the store is running 100 hours below what we're budgeted. no remorse, only glee

UZworm
Feb 9, 2009

Young wild Elsweyrian
C'mon baby, do you have a soul gem
I'm so happy I work at a store that closes at 10:00 now, it means there's much less chance that we get swarmed by stoned/drunk Broncos fans at the end of the night every time there's a game.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

I wish my boss would stop offering us up to help other departments who are short-staffed, making us short-staffed in the process. It makes it very difficult to function well or prevent thefts when theres only 2 people in the store with 50 or 100 customers. We also found out today that other departments are letting their staff take hours of overtime whereas we still get in trouble if we get even 15 minutes.

I would legit stay for 10 or 12 hours a shift, I need the cash and I don't hate my job.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

litany of gulps posted:

You want a good underlayer with no airgaps, too. Thermal long johns and shirt, with the bottom of the pants tucked into your socks, and the shirt tucked in to the waist of the pants. Leather boots and wool socks. A knit cap is a must.

Jesus, it's a walk-in, not an arctic expedition. Step outside and get a coffee once in a while.

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004

litany of gulps posted:

I always found duck hunting gloves to be the best. Waterproof, some brands are excellent against the cold while still remaining thin enough to operate a telexon or gemini scanner.

The hunting gloves were a good tip. Gonna try those out. The rest is nice, but I'm probably not going to be spending enough time in the freezer for it to matter. Supposedly we only get about one pallet of frozen food at a time.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

Yesterday, one of the people under me had to call in and say he'd be late for a while and the store manager gave him poo poo about this being short notice.

The issue was that his cousin had hung himself the previous night and the whole family was coming together to support the aunt/uncle and other cousin.

I don't like my new store manager :catstare:

Shugojin fucked around with this message at 15:44 on Sep 11, 2016

litany of gulps
Jun 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

Jesus, it's a walk-in, not an arctic expedition. Step outside and get a coffee once in a while.

Hah, fair enough. My experience was with a Walmart Supercenter, and I guess most of my memories center around Thanksgiving and Christmas. When you've got 8 pallets of frozen turkeys completely jamming up your entire freezer, it can... complicate things. Plus the assholes that wouldn't dress appropriately for the conditions, so they'd gently caress things up in the freezer just to get in and out faster (just shoving boxes into whatever space they could fit, no labels, different products mixed up).

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer

Shugojin posted:

Yesterday, one of the people under me had to call in and say he'd be late for a while and the store manager gave him poo poo about this being short notice.

The issue was that his cousin had hung himself the previous night and the whole family was coming together to support the aunt/uncle and other cousin.

I don't like my new store manager :catstare:

I worked at a zoo that was owned by one man. He literally built the fucker up from dirt. Which meant that he had a very narrow view about anything. His two kids grew up planting trees and digging holes and doing bitch work too.

So one busy season I was working the gift shop, and my coworker said she needed to take next weekend off for her grandfather's funeral. She went to the owner and explained things, and he stood there, the man who looked like John Hammond from Jurassic Park, and nodded, and thoughtfully said that people die every day, but what he really needed was for her to work the register next weekend because we would be very busy.

Joke is on him, though. His son loves animals, his daughter hates them and hates the zoo entirely. So guess which one got into a horrible car accident and was left an invalid with brain damage, and which one stands to inherit the zoo, which she proudly bragged she will sell to the highest bidder the second her daddy drops dead?

litany of gulps
Jun 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Cowslips Warren posted:

Joke is on him, though. His son loves animals, his daughter hates them and hates the zoo entirely. So guess which one got into a horrible car accident and was left an invalid with brain damage, and which one stands to inherit the zoo, which she proudly bragged she will sell to the highest bidder the second her daddy drops dead?

Hah! Good joke, life. Good joke.

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004

Ah, first night of frozen. Took too long to work the poo poo, but whatever. First day. Probably would have been over with a lot faster if I hadn't been asking a bunch of questions and scribbling down notes.

We've got inventory next month. Frozen is the only department that outsources its inventory. :getin:

Rotation? Yeah. We don't do that, either. Somebody comes in at the end of the month and rotates all the poo poo for us. Awesome.

It isn't all good. I spent a lot of time on my knees, and I've got a lot of shelf space to cover. Some ( most ) of the frozen stuff is easy as pie to stack up, but then you get dumb poo poo like Banquet meals and they loving suck because the loving boxes are skinny and refuse to sit right.

On the other hand, one of the cashiers got spit on tonight.

UZworm
Feb 9, 2009

Young wild Elsweyrian
Guy went ballistic on us today because he was trying to get Western Union and didn't have an ID. Apparently we have ruined his life because that $10 he was trying to remove was the only way he was gonna get to the hospital to get his "hosed up leg" fixed, and "Jesus loving Christ you pieces of poo poo should let me do this, I come here three times a week!" and "The Colorado government is loving me over and you're just helping them out!" All the while he was kicking the photo kiosks and looking like he was going to punch someone as my muscle relaxer-addled rear end just stared, nonplussed.

First time I've ever had the chance to call the cops on someone! :haw:

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

Well either someone talked to the store manager or he did some thinking because he apologized to the employee with no visible prompting so that's alright.

As far as putting stuff away in a freezer goes, even if you're not in the walk-in super long, a pair of light-duty thermal underwear under your pants is super helpful because it'll prevent that "oh god I moved my leg slightly and now my 10F pants touched me aaaa" feeling without being tooooo warm outside the walk-in.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Faerunner posted:

So, RGIS hired a bunch of new people and sent them to our store for inventory.

They had to kick at least 4 of them out due to poor counts and my manager said he had to complain TWICE about one of them and they still let her finish the section before they dismissed her.

This company is huge and can absorb the inane counting errors of a bunch of sleep-deprived potheads, but why should they? It's so stupid. And WHY are we open during inventory?

RGIS is easily one of the worst jobs i've ever had, gently caress that company

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

RGIS is easily one of the worst jobs i've ever had, gently caress that company

Guess who's doing inventory in my section? I'm glad I won't have to be responsible for any of that poo poo.

UZworm
Feb 9, 2009

Young wild Elsweyrian
Two of the three people that we hired to replace the four people who quit over the last two weeks failed their drug tests, which means another week and a half (at least) of being so short-staffed we can barely function during a store-wide reset bonanza. :cry:

gently caress I hate living in a state where weed is legal but jobs still won't allow you to smoke it.

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

Rhino, you did this to me!

I'll never understand why loving retail of all places is drug tested. If you're driving a forklift, sure I guess whatever but gently caress in most jobs you could come in stoned and it probably wouldn't effect the work all that much.

e: I've never smoked and I almost never drink so it's never an actual problem for me but it's still stupid as all hell.

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

Mostly it's because you work around kids.

CaptainJuan
Oct 15, 2008

Thick. Juicy. Tender.

Imagine cutting into a Barry White Song.
Plus drug testing makes corporate liability insurance cheaper.

cephalopods
Aug 11, 2013

Weed isn't even really legal in Michigan but we don't drug test unless you're driving a forklift and you cause material damage or hurt someone. I would assume that's an OSHA thing that we can't avoid.

If we did do random drug tests they wouldn't be able to keep this store open at all. Not a chance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Faerunner
Dec 31, 2007

NerdyMcNerdNerd posted:

Guess who's doing inventory in my section? I'm glad I won't have to be responsible for any of that poo poo.

The best tip I can give you is to make drat sure that EVERY SINGLE ITEM is in the right place before the inventory team starts, and pray that they're counting when you're not open for business because the second a customer puts one of those banquet meals back in the wrong place your entire count may be hosed. RGIS just scans the first item and counts everything under/behind it as the same UPC.

And make no mistake, if the counts go badly it will come back on you somehow. RGIS is full of slippery middle-managers who won't accept the blame for poor counts.