Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Retail Slave posted:

If Hendricks has quality starts the rest of the way, does he have a realistic shot at the Cy?

Late to the party but here's my hot take: unless Kyle comes out and immediately throws a no-hitter in one of his few remaining starts, or the other leading candidates (Scherzer/MadBum/Lester) trip over the finish line with abbreviated clunker starts while Kyle continues to cruise, I don't see him winning the Cy. He'll absolutely finish #3, maybe even #2 in the voting, but he isn't going to win. He doesn't have the IP (not really his fault since Maddon was still in quick hook mode early in the season, but it's still there) he doesn't have the K's, and he's "outperforming his peripherals". For the last one there's a legitimate argument to be made that since FIP/xFIP don't take into account batted ball profile and are almost exclusively tied to strikeout rate that they don't really work as intended when applied to a non-power pitcher like Hendricks, but again it's still a key narrative for voters. There seems to be an underlying sense that Hendricks' success this year is primarily a result of luck + having league leading defense behind him, rather than mechanical tweaks and the pitches he's added/improved.

Maybe an actual no hitter would have changed things, but the almost-but-not-quite outing just seems to have solidified the narrative that Kyle has been really good this year and is a candidate for the Cy Young, but probably not who's going to win it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Retail Slave posted:

So does this new union have as much power as the old one? Because if not, it shouldn't be all that hard to cut him a severance check to go away forever because he's terrible.
I honestly do not know how much power the new union has. I just posted the story of the umpires' union blowing up because I remember it so well. It was incredible - Richie Phillips basically ran a suicide mission that took out every MLB umpire, and after the fact he went to everyone and said, "Uhhhhhhh you think we can just undo this and pretend it never happened? Please?"

Crazy Ted fucked around with this message at 18:39 on Sep 13, 2016

CubsWoo
Aug 17, 2005

Where the big boys RAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRGH FUCK YOU
New thread anthem

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wS2UvAz29fA

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen

Crazy Ted posted:

I honestly do not know how much power the new union has. I just posted the story of the umpires' union blowing up because I remember it so well. It was incredible - Richie Phillips basically ran a suicide mission that took out every MLB umpire, and after the fact he went to everyone and basically said, "Uhhhhhhh you think we can just undo this and pretend it never happened? Please?"

I don't care enough to look it up, but I'm pretty sure renowned terrible umpire Eric Gregg-- he who called strikes in the opposite batters box during the 1997 NLCS-- never got his job back.

And then he died.

Let this be a lesson.

Ice To Meet You
Mar 5, 2007

TheIncredulousHulk posted:

It wouldn't shock me if some stadiums had clearer batter's eyes than others, too. No idea how you could measure that though

Rock piles above average.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Retail Slave posted:

I don't care enough to look it up, but I'm pretty sure renowned terrible umpire Eric Gregg-- he who called strikes in the opposite batters box during the 1997 NLCS-- never got his job back.
You are correct. Eric Gregg never got his job back. He was one of the big supporters of the mass resignation because MLB had told him to start calling strikers according to the actual strike zone and not according to whatever the gently caress he felt like calling that day. That and also because MLB had started enforcing its own guidelines and fining umps who were 300+ pounds and couldn't pass even minimal fitness assessments.

Good Dog
Oct 16, 2008

Who threw this cat at me?
Clapping Larry

Ice To Meet You posted:

Rock piles above average.

Jered Weaver @ home on day games cracks me up.

Tony Phillips
Feb 9, 2006

Crazy Ted posted:

That and also because MLB had started enforcing its own guidelines and fining umps who were 300+ pounds and couldn't pass even minimal fitness assessments.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YIQOtm5NaeY

davecrazy
Nov 25, 2004

I'm an insufferable shitposter who does not deserve to root for such a good team. Also, this is what Matt Harvey thinks of me and my garbage posting.
Wally Backman did nothing wrong.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

By all accounts, Eric Gregg was a really easy-going person. It's just a shame that he was a bad umpire who didn't realize until it was too late that eating your way to about 400 pounds probably wasn't the best life plan.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Mitch Williams just got his rear end beat down in court with respect to his attempts to sue MLB Network and Gawker for various things:

quote:

Mitch Williams’s lawsuit accused Gawker Media of defamation. The complaint, according to court files:

• Denied the former pro athlete was a “public figure.”
  • Denied Williams went on a “profanity-laced tirade” or that he cursed at all during his interaction with the umpire.
  • Denied Williams called the umpire a “motherfucker.”
  • Denied Williams instigated “repeated arguments with umpires.”
  • Denied Williams engaged in any misconduct during the game described in Deadspin’s first article.
  • Denied Williams shouted something to a parent in the stands about getting an umpire fired.
  • Denied Williams sparked a “face-to-face argument” with an umpire, threatened an umpire, ever left the first-base coach’s box, threatened an umpire, made physical contact with an umpire, or had to be physically separated by an assistant coach.
  • Denied Williams called a child a “pussy.”
  • Denied Williams ordered a child to hit another child with a baseball.
  • Denied Williams heckling opposing coaches or calling an opposing coach a “squirrely little teapot.”
  • Denied making any harassing comments about opposing players.

Subsequent court filings reveal:

• Both umpires at the first game testified in depositions they heard Williams use variations of “gently caress” before the game had even started, and that he physically threatened the field umpire.
  • Video of the first game—video that Ripken Baseball didn’t make available at the time the story was reported, according to the Deadspin article found in court records—shows the field umpire warning both coaches about their “attitude.”
  • That same video filed to the court shows Williams arguing emphatically with both umpires over an out call at home plate; the umpire warned Williams he would be ejected if he did not return to his position in the first-base coach’s box.
  • Williams admitted in a sworn deposition that he shouted to a parent of one of his team’s players of the need to “talk with the Ripken people about maybe finding these guys other employment.”
  • Williams was ejected, according to the game video filed with the court, with Williams getting into a face-to-face confrontation by the first-base coach’s box—after which Williams followed the umpire onto the field, where an assistant coach physically separated the two.
  • Those same umpires, in sworn testimony, characterized Williams’s conduct during that game as among the worst they had ever encountered in their careers.
  • The ejection resulted in a stoppage of play of approximately six minutes, according to the game video in court records.
  • Williams admitted in his sworn deposition that in the second game written about on Deadspin, an opposing coach reported to umpires that he had called the opposing pitcher a “pussy.”
  • Williams recalled in his testimony telling an opposing coach, “You sure strut around here like a peacock.”
  • Williams testified he ordered his pitcher to throw the ball “inside” even though the opposing 10-year-old “stands on the plate.”
  • The home plate umpire for the second game testified in a deposition that Williams used profanity and was warned to watch his language around 10-year-olds, and a Ripken Baseball official testified Williams cursed multiple times and that he asked Williams to stop.
  • Game video entered into court records shows Williams speaking with his team’s catcher, after which the catcher walked to the mound and spoke with the pitcher. On the next pitch, the opposing batter—the player Williams had been accused of calling a “pussy,” according to court records—was hit by the pitch.

Nearly all Williams’s defamation claims were dismissed early in the process after a judge found the reporting in the Deadspin posts to either be substantially true or protected opinion. The judge also threw out Williams’s claim that he was a private figure, stating, “He is a public figure for all realistic purposes. It’s not even a close call.” In defamation law, public figures are required to meet a greater burden to prove their case.

Tony Phillips
Feb 9, 2006

Crazy Ted posted:

By all accounts, Eric Gregg was a really easy-going person. It's just a shame that he was a bad umpire who didn't realize until it was too late that eating your way to about 400 pounds probably wasn't the best life plan.

Yeah - pull a cheeseburger on the base stunt on Cowboy Joe and I can't imagine how many ejections he'd try to pull.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Isn't that Mitch Williams lawsuit related to one of the stories Univision yanked?
e: yes, yes it is.

howe_sam fucked around with this message at 21:20 on Sep 13, 2016

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer

Tony Phillips posted:

Yeah - pull a cheeseburger on the base stunt on Cowboy Joe and I can't imagine how many ejections he'd try to pull.

He'll eject that burger from his butt.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Beer Loses more than a game Sunday ...
We lost our Captain, our Teammate, our Friend Kelly Calabro...
Rest in Peace my friend you will be greatly missed..

howe_sam posted:

Isn't that Mitch Williams lawsuit related to one of the stories Univision yanked?
e: yes, yes it is.

Yes. Deadspin reposted the story by way of posting a story about the court filing, and then excerpting the original story from the court filing.

Yaya
Nov 14, 2012

vancloober cablucks
If only he had argued that Mitch Williams, the television personality, had a 10 inch penis and Mitch Williams, the person, didn't.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope

Crazy Ted posted:

Mitch Williams just got his rear end beat down in court with respect to his attempts to sue MLB Network and Gawker for various things:

I kind of want an excuse to call someone a squirrelly little teapot now.

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

Every single year the Ivy League takes a break from fucking up the world through its various alumni to fuck up everyone's bracket instead.
Mitch Williams apparently was the sort of cartoonish villain that 80s kids' sports films needed a montage to overcome.

Der Meister
May 12, 2001

Hand Knit posted:

Yes. Deadspin reposted the story by way of posting a story about the court filing, and then excerpting the original story from the court filing.

It's like they're trying to piss off their new owners and get fired

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

Good Dog posted:

The Angels special weather report that Mike Trout does always cracks me up.

*15 second intro*
"Overcast"
*15 second outro*

It's loving perfect.

going back a couple of pages but I think they got the idea from the Jays (or vice versa), at the Skydome they do the "Roof Report with Josh Donaldson" where it has this big announcement and then Donaldson says either "It's open" or "It's closed" all disinterested and then the big outro

Good Dog
Oct 16, 2008

Who threw this cat at me?
Clapping Larry

The Berzerker posted:

going back a couple of pages but I think they got the idea from the Jays (or vice versa), at the Skydome they do the "Roof Report with Josh Donaldson" where it has this big announcement and then Donaldson says either "It's open" or "It's closed" all disinterested and then the big outro

I'm not sure when the Angels first did it, possibly before Donaldson was even a Blue Jay though.

I just think its funny because Mike Trout wants to be a meteorologist.

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

I mean either way, in-stadium hijinks are totally great

UZR IS BULLSHIT
Jan 25, 2004
Apparently the Yankee brass is pissed at the ticket office for allowing the Dodger supporter group to buy that block of tickets last night lol

CubsWoo
Aug 17, 2005

Where the big boys RAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRGH FUCK YOU
N: Cubs rotation has been tweaked such that if the order stays the same it would set up the NLDS as Lester G1 Lackey G2 Arrieta G3 Hendricks G4

V: Maddon has done enough that I'm in the Trust The Process camp but boy oh boy there's a big part of my brain that will not be happy if this is the plan

beejay
Apr 7, 2002

Agreed, it's not fair to make Hendricks be the one to lose the last game of the sweep. Put that poo poo on Lackey.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

UZR IS BULLSHIT posted:

Apparently the Yankee brass is pissed at the ticket office for allowing the Dodger supporter group to buy that block of tickets last night lol
This is the least-surprising development ever.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

beejay posted:

Agreed, it's not fair to make Hendricks be the one to lose the last game of the sweep. Put that poo poo on Lackey.

might want to brush up on your mlb playoff rules, bud

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope

The Berzerker posted:

They got Adam Conley to do something similar a while ago.

https://twitter.com/MarlinsPark/status/735099825973121024

A pompous intro & outro would have been nice, but alas.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

UZR IS BULLSHIT posted:

Pantone 294 has done the same thing at probably a dozen stadiums over the past couple years. I think last night was the largest group yet, but they've had 500+ quite a few times in the past.

BallerBallerDillz
Jun 11, 2009

Cock, Rules, Everything, Around, Me
Scratchmo
Cano pitch-face anyone?

https://twitter.com/Mariners/status/775868631624224768

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fUtG-fXfKnI

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

Every single year the Ivy League takes a break from fucking up the world through its various alumni to fuck up everyone's bracket instead.
Freeman hit the 30-homer mark tonight and is having by far his best offensive season despite playing a month or so of it with a cracked rib. The Braves offense has actually been really good for a month or more now, it's just masked by the collapse of the pitching staff.

KIM JONG TRILL
Nov 29, 2006

GIN AND JUCHE

Yaya posted:

this seems sustainable

:viggo:

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

elentar posted:

Freeman hit the 30-homer mark tonight and is having by far his best offensive season despite playing a month or so of it with a cracked rib. The Braves offense has actually been really good for a month or more now, it's just masked by the collapse of the pitching staff.
You worried about the long-term returns on all the young arms we acquired yet? Folty's about the only one comfortable in the big leagues; Blair, Wisler and Jenkins keep getting chased out of the park. I think I heard Lucas Sims wasn't doing too hot either.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen

CubsWoo posted:

N: Cubs rotation has been tweaked such that if the order stays the same it would set up the NLDS as Lester G1 Lackey G2 Arrieta G3 Hendricks G4

V: Maddon has done enough that I'm in the Trust The Process camp but boy oh boy there's a big part of my brain that will not be happy if this is the plan

I'm sure once we clinch and we're playing a bunch of garbage games it'll be tweaked further. Joe likes to tinker, and I can't think that's the plan because that's Dusty Baker levels of stupid if it is, and Joe should be kicked in the dick repeatedly until he comes to his senses.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
I love the Rangers.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
But my heart breaks with every Astros loss.

TheIncredulousHulk
Sep 3, 2012

Shinjobi posted:

I love the Rangers.

Agreed

Shinjobi posted:

But my heart breaks with every Astros loss.

Disagreed

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

KICK BAMA KICK posted:

You worried about the long-term returns on all the young arms we acquired yet? Folty's about the only one comfortable in the big leagues; Blair, Wisler and Jenkins keep getting chased out of the park. I think I heard Lucas Sims wasn't doing too hot either.

Nope.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

Or, I guess to clarify: the whole reason to stockpile arms is you don't know which ones will make it, but it only takes two or three to set up your rotation for years. All we've seen so far is the first wave, there's so much more coming through; even if Wisler and Blair don't get sorted out (and Jenkins seemed destined for spot-start/long relief from pretty early on) then there's a lot more where that came from, plus one more draft coming up to stockpile.

Rotation next year will be Teheran, Folty, and a collection of warm bodies and rookie spot starts, and that's still way better than what they started 2016 with. Give 'em time.

• Locked thread