Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

1500quidporsche posted:

I know what that's like. Got an accounting degree and now I work at an insurance company cause I didn't want to be an accountant and my career options are even worse.

At least you aren't an accountant.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

I'd honestly be willing to get the designation at this point, but the market to break in is way over-saturated here. gently caress trying to apply for jobs. The past two years the only thing I've ever heard is "What's an Underwriter do?" and then watch their face glaze over as I try to explain it.

Lightbulb Out
Apr 28, 2006

slack jawed yokel
Wait, you're supposed to be happy with your profession?

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

You can't be angry ALL the time!

Fun Shoe
I don't think so.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

Associates in Engineering, Bachelor in IT. Want to go back to Engineering but all those classes are 10 years old and I would have to start over. Feels bad.

The Prong Song
Sep 7, 2002

WHITE
DRIVES
MATTER

scuz posted:

Guys I hate computers so much why did I get a degree in computers and commit to working in IT for the rest of my life please send help.

Because it's a lucrative field. With good experience in the right technologies you can easily making six figures before your 30th. Who gives a poo poo if you don't love your job? Your job is the place you make the money to do the things you love.

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

Fun Shoe

Sigma X posted:

Because it's a lucrative field. With good experience in the right technologies you can easily making six figures before your 30th. Who gives a poo poo if you don't love your job? Your job is the place you make the money to do the things you love.

I'm 31 and working at a private, non-profit arts college for $50k/year doing Windows sysadmin :smithicide: I love the environment and co-workers and staff and everything, I just hate computers. I tried "working for the money" at a hedge fund doing the same job, but that environment sucked for me. It wasn't a large pay cut to switch jobs, but I've been immeasurably happier now that I'm outta there.

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

Sigma X posted:

I'm not in IT but I make six figures a month anyway :smug: in yen. :smithicide:

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
I love IT.

I hate the people. I really kinda want to find a new IT job, because while the current job is steady, its....boring. I miss being a rack monkey sys admin.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

scuz posted:

Guys I hate computers so much why did I get a degree in computers and commit to working in IT for the rest of my life please send help.

I spent 4 years in college trying actively to avoid getting a job in IT.
It still hunted me down and caught me.
:(

I just want to be one of the idiot users who can't do their jobs and gets to blame everything on IT.

The Prong Song
Sep 7, 2002

WHITE
DRIVES
MATTER

scuz posted:

I'm 31 and working at a private, non-profit arts college for $50k/year doing Windows sysadmin :smithicide: I love the environment and co-workers and staff and everything, I just hate computers. I tried "working for the money" at a hedge fund doing the same job, but that environment sucked for me. It wasn't a large pay cut to switch jobs, but I've been immeasurably happier now that I'm outta there.

Windows admin? I said "good experience in the right technologies" :boom: . That'd be continuous integration tools, SaaS/PaaS, Infrastructure-as-Code - you know, stuff that was cutting edge 4-6 years ago.

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

Fun Shoe

Sigma X posted:

Windows admin? I said "good experience in the right technologies" :boom: . That'd be continuous integration tools, SaaS/PaaS, Infrastructure-as-Code - you know, stuff that was cutting edge 4-6 years ago.
Haha, yeah, my position here is kind of the red-headed step-child of the IT department. Whenever the linux guy has to touch the Windows side of things he is none to happy about it.

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011

CommieGIR posted:

I love IT.

I hate the people. I really kinda want to find a new IT job, because while the current job is steady, its....boring. I miss being a rack monkey sys admin.

In the same boat. Love the tech, hate the people. We're at least getting to play with some cool tech- but it's not worth the stress. Slept 6 hours last night after trying to configure AHV in a 3 node cluster. Ugh.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

I don't mind people at all. In fact it's usually other personalities in IT that bother me the most. Other people in the org are either cool or I can at least work with them professionally.

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

I AM BRAWW posted:

Oh yeah. Hell I bought a 2008 350z with the intent to be able to mess around with it, change parts, modify it, learn some basic car poo poo from it and such. I did a complete 180 on automobiles and love this poo poo now. Wish I had more knowledge thought.

Gooble gobble, gooble gobble, one of us, one of us.

I turned a friend of mine onto cars a few years ago, his 'dream car' went from "DeLorean or a tank" to RX-7. :getin:

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

Sigma X posted:

My buzzword detector juct got an erection

scuz posted:

Haha, yeah, my position here is kind of the red-headed step-child of the IT department. Whenever the linux guy has to touch the Windows side of things he is none to happy about it.

I'm in the process of removing the GUI from every Windows server and Remote-PSSession the whole lot. Everyone but the Linux guys are freaking out :D I've also juuuust got my "Completely automate" powershell scripts in, also with Chocolatey / OneGet repos that mean all I have to do to set up a new server completely is literally install chocolatey and run "choco install server-defaults" - everything is packaged and just comes on down. Registry, certificates for secure remoting, domain setup, WSUS to use, GPO templates, tools and applications.

(I'm at home on Linux as well so I'm not bothered with Powershell. Anyone not in our regular support staff is scared shitless to touch it)

The best thing about it is that it now all also works with the Linux monitoring so I've switched to open source for all the monitoring packages. Reduced the cost of the Windows side and also made maintenace and operation a whole lot faster.... just like the Linux side, all I do is use one PC to command all Windows and Linux severs to say update at the same time. It's really fun doing that without the costly applications like say SCCM... an hour later, all the server report back to the Operations logbook and done. For the next trick, we'll get the Windows Bash shell going..... it's a bit buggy right now but hey, why not.

Of all the new changes Microsoft have made in the last few years, OneGet has to be the absolute godsend. Apt-Get for Windows, gently caress yeah :D

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
I work on cars for a living and I like my job thank you very much

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

Fun Shoe
I DO miss Linux from time-to-time, so I do whatever I can to stay in Powershell. The previous sysadmin in my chair was command-line phobic and it really shows in the documentation. Why click through a zillion GUI windows when I can paste in two lines of code from my smartphone sitting on a beach somewhere?

fridge corn posted:

I work on cars for a living and I like my job thank you very much
You're not allowed to enjoy your career, it isn't fair to the rest of us.

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

scuz posted:

It wasn't a large pay cut to switch jobs, but I've been immeasurably happier now that I'm outta there.

Someone much wiser than me said 'Money can't buy you happiness, but it's absence ensures misery'. After years of reading goon-tales on the forums here there are so many intelligent and hardworking people who are being paid well below their ability.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

all I have to do to set up a new server completely is literally install chocolatey and run "choco install server-defaults" - everything is packaged and just comes on down. Registry, certificates for secure remoting, domain setup, WSUS to use, GPO templates, tools and applications.

Help me out here. When you say all you have to do is install chocolatey are you installing that onto a blank server? If so what images the server first? MDT and SCCM or am I misunderstanding? Also do you have pm's? Might have to pick your brains about some of this.

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org
Dang.

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

Fun Shoe
:swoon:

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

scuz posted:

This, but at least I didn't get a degree. I mean, I have 6 years of college, and spent the money, but I didn't finish, and... that's not better. poo poo.

Tide posted:

KIND REMINDER I AM NOT RECEIVING EMAIL. CAN YOU PLZ HELP ME??!?! PLZ EMAIL ME BACK WITH WHEN U CAN FIX MY COMPUTER THANK YOU IN ADVANCE PLEASE DO THE NEEDFUL

Are you working for my company? Get out of my head. Also, make sure to not include a phone number or location in that request.

I'm "the Mac Guy" here, currently, and right now the only one. On the plus side, I own everything Mac-related (including Mac-based servers.) On the minus side, I'm *responsible* for anything Mac-related, too. Including patching and PCI compliance, which, thanks to Apple updating the major OS version every year and therefore dropping support for a major version every year, is annoying.

I just turned 47, and finally broke $50K for the first time in my life. The good news is that learning all the stuff in my current role should keep my at that level and moving up.

CommieGIR posted:

I love IT.

As do I. Unfortunately, I've always been End User support, so... people.

scuz posted:

I DO miss Linux from time-to-time, so I do whatever I can to stay in Powershell. The previous sysadmin in my chair was command-line phobic and it really shows in the documentation. Why click through a zillion GUI windows when I can paste in two lines of code from my smartphone sitting on a beach somewhere?

Job security.
If it looks difficult to management, it must be worth paying you $$. Make it look easy, and they begin to wonder why they pay you so much. At least, the stupid, superficial managers do.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Yes, I install Chocolatey onto a blank server - I don't use any deployment tools as in a VM environment I have a image I clone / provision and then spin up. So my process is -

1) Clone blank server in VMWare, send it to whatever site it's to be on. Also this is where I'll provision disk sizes and resources.
2) Spin up blank
3) Log in, run iex ((new-object net.webclient).DownloadString('https://chocolatey.org/install.ps1'))
4) run - choco source add n=server-repo -s"http://SERVER-NAME/NuGet/Chocolatey"
5) choco install server-defaults

Server-Defaults (orwhatever you want to call it) in this case is a powershell script - the install asks me a few questions as to domain it's to be connected to, WSUS server to use, any other enviroment variables and also additional server applications I want. The script will download and install packages from my repo as required as well as do my other enviroment variables. Importantly, this must check Powershell version as some of my requirements MUST use at least Powershell 3.0 and install as required.

6) Walk away and do something else while powershell does the rest. Oh and yes, this DOES work across a reboot - this is the basic idea.....

code:
workflow Rename-And-Reboot {
  param ([string]$Name)
  Rename-Computer -NewName $Name -Force -Passthru
  Restart-Computer -Wait
  Do-MoreStuff
}
(The below is not my words, this is what I found when researching spanning reboots and documented)

If PowerShell v3 or later isn't an available choice, you could break your existing script into multiple smaller scripts and have a master script that runs at startup, checks some saved state somewhere (file, registry, etc.), then starts executing a new script to continue on where appropriate. Something like:

code:
$state = Get-MyCoolPersistedState
switch ($state) {
  "Stage1" { . \Path\To\Stage1.ps1 ; break }
  "Stage2" { . \Path\To\Stage2.ps1 ; break }
  "Stage3" { . \Path\To\Stage3.ps1 ; break }
  default { "Uh, something unexpected happened" }
}
So after the final reboot etc, I have a fully functioning server with what I want on it, with all the monitoring tools and enviroment I want. No SCCM, no paid tools, just pain open source and a fair whack of time to make it work.

Also Chocolatey has a GUI version. Hoenstly, Chcolatey is THE thing you need to get onto any Windows network to work real magic.

And yes, I'm on PM :)

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Lightbulb Out posted:

Wait, you're supposed to be happy with your profession?

I actually really enjoy my retail comic book nerd job.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

ye gods, my envy boner just ripped a hole through the desk. I'm not normally much for acoustics, but I've got a massive soft spot for 12-strings.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

Yes, I install Chocolatey onto a blank server - I don't use any deployment tools as in a VM environment I have a image I clone / provision and then spin up. So my process is -

1) Clone blank server in VMWare, send it to whatever site it's to be on. Also this is where I'll provision disk sizes and resources.
2) Spin up blank
3) Log in, run iex ((new-object net.webclient).DownloadString('https://chocolatey.org/install.ps1'))
4) run - choco source add n=server-repo -s"http://SERVER-NAME/NuGet/Chocolatey"
5) choco install server-defaults

Server-Defaults (orwhatever you want to call it) in this case is a powershell script - the install asks me a few questions as to domain it's to be connected to, WSUS server to use, any other enviroment variables and also additional server applications I want. The script will download and install packages from my repo as required as well as do my other enviroment variables. Importantly, this must check Powershell version as some of my requirements MUST use at least Powershell 3.0 and install as required.

6) Walk away and do something else while powershell does the rest. Oh and yes, this DOES work across a reboot - this is the basic idea.....

code:
workflow Rename-And-Reboot {
  param ([string]$Name)
  Rename-Computer -NewName $Name -Force -Passthru
  Restart-Computer -Wait
  Do-MoreStuff
}
(The below is not my words, this is what I found when researching spanning reboots and documented)

If PowerShell v3 or later isn't an available choice, you could break your existing script into multiple smaller scripts and have a master script that runs at startup, checks some saved state somewhere (file, registry, etc.), then starts executing a new script to continue on where appropriate. Something like:

code:
$state = Get-MyCoolPersistedState
switch ($state) {
  "Stage1" { . \Path\To\Stage1.ps1 ; break }
  "Stage2" { . \Path\To\Stage2.ps1 ; break }
  "Stage3" { . \Path\To\Stage3.ps1 ; break }
  default { "Uh, something unexpected happened" }
}
So after the final reboot etc, I have a fully functioning server with what I want on it, with all the monitoring tools and enviroment I want. No SCCM, no paid tools, just pain open source and a fair whack of time to make it work.

Also Chocolatey has a GUI version. Hoenstly, Chcolatey is THE thing you need to get onto any Windows network to work real magic.

And yes, I'm on PM :)

VMs are so much fun.

epic bird guy
Dec 9, 2014

Look at all these IT dudes with their having jobs in their field of study

I'll just be over here stroking my humanities degree to my right and my enormous student debt to my left :smug:

Rhyno posted:

I actually really enjoy my retail comic book nerd job.

I too enjoy my specialty store job.

The Prong Song
Sep 7, 2002

WHITE
DRIVES
MATTER

SCA Enthusiast posted:

...I'll just be over here stroking my humanities degree to my right and my enormous student debt to my left :smug:...

I never went to college. No degree, BUT, no student debt. :smug:

Instead I just spent tens of thousands of dollars I didn't have on really unadvised car and other purchases earlier on in life.

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]
I enjoy the heck out of what I do, and where I am at now is really fulfilling (teaching special needs kids in a small private school), but gently caress the pay is awful. I know my education made me a better person*, but gently caress I wish I'd done tech or pharm school.

*Because it led me to have experiences I might otherwise not have had, not because education automatically makes you a better person

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

:frogout:

That's better. New faucet, new dishwasher. Fancy looking faucet there. Maint guy confirmed today that they can't get parts for the original faucet, so they just replace them when they have problems. When he can get authorization to purchase the new ones, anyway.

I found out the property manager got fired today. :stare: I wonder if I had any responsibility there, and feel kinda bad about it if I did, but goddamn I'd rather jam a rusty nail through my dickhead repeatedly vs fighting with them to fix this poo poo again.

And my roommate is in the hospital. He went up there to talk to a diabetic educator about getting discounted insulin, educator thought he looked "off" (he is, he's been throwing up for a couple of days and hasn't been able to get his sugar under 300) and sent him to the ER. His bloodwork came back all kinds of hosed - not sure how it was hosed yet, I can't get ahold of him, all I know is he's in the ICU.

Sigma X posted:

I never went to college. No degree, BUT, no student debt. :smug:

$15k in student loan debt and nothing to show for it here. :shepicide: At least it's only 15k.

Don't really care for my job, but it pays pretty well for what it is.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

Send me the email with your loving shirt designs so I can give you money for your album and a shirt. This is worse than craigslist.

Also I love what I do, but not where I do it. One more year and I can be a real person again for the first time in almost a decade.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

I work lovely retail job. But the constant puzzles and the occasional awesome customers make it worth it. Now if I can just make store manager so I can get paid halfway decently. :v:

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

I love what I do, the people I work with, and the pay I get for it. But if I could take all of this, and move it to a nicer part of the country, I absolutely would. Southern Virginia was a good choice since I was tired of -20 winters, but that's not gonna keep me here forever.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

CommieGIR posted:

VMs are so much fun.

Initially I didnt think so but honestly, VM environments are without a doubt more stable and easier to manage, let alone the cost for hardware being so much lower.... 5 big fuckoff cluster boxes + SAN verses 200 smaller tin? I know what wins.

I just basically posted about the full auto of Windows on another forum and I'm just getting back... Are you some kind of a wizard??? or gently caress Off I'm Sticking with GUI - Someone mentioned job security a bit earlier and frankly Powershell is the future of Windows and actually USING the tools at hand is how you keep your job secure. Yeah okay, Powershell is a bitch to learn but it's useful not just on premises but in DA CLOOOOOUDDDDD so learn it. I don't know more than a dozen commands off the top of my head, but I do have books and a bunch of cheat sheets -That's all you need.

Altho someone just asked me how to do something and I replied with the full powershell line.....

quote:

I actually studied Accountancy and Finance. Comes in useful even as a SysAdmin as I can work with Finance applications and understand what's busted or why I need to adjust GL codes for a stocktake and work with price changes to stock codes. Employers have found that knowledge very useful, even if over the 30 years I've been working, I've worked exactly 2 as Accounts and Finance, the rest as IT. I got into IT because I was the only person on the Finance staff that knew how to turn a computer on. Somedays it still feels like that is true.

Mr-Spain
Aug 27, 2003

Bullshit... you can be mine.
Missed a chance on a real nice 2015 Chevy SS, in whatever color they call that metallic orange. 1400 miles. :(

The Prong Song
Sep 7, 2002

WHITE
DRIVES
MATTER

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

Initially I didnt think so but honestly, VM environments are without a doubt more stable and easier to manage, let alone the cost for hardware being so much lower...

If you have much of a dev/lab environment, I really suggest looking into container environments. Docker, for example. It's the next virtualization, or summat.

Mr-Spain
Aug 27, 2003

Bullshit... you can be mine.

Sigma X posted:

If you have much of a dev/lab environment, I really suggest looking into container environments. Docker, for example. It's the next virtualization, or summat.

Get ready for per-core licensing!

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost

SCA Enthusiast posted:

I'll just be over here stroking my humanities degree to my right and my enormous student debt to my left :smug:

I have a sociology degree from a small liberal arts college and I'm a Director of Software Engineering at a fairly huge and extremely well-known tech company. :downs:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

SCA Enthusiast posted:

This is an incredible post

• Locked thread