Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
HelloWinter
May 27, 2012

"Hey, Nagito, what'cha
thinkin' about?"

"Oh, y'know. Murder stuff."
Just came to say that

I love this show. So very much.

I started watching it just a week ago and tried my very best to only watch one episode per day to evenly space out with the weekly schedule, but soon enough we were hitting the latest episodes that were just so good and... couldn't resist watching the rest of them last night, right up to the "HOLY MOLEY" reveal. I even somehow managed to get my boyfriend to watch this show with me and he likes it, being a person who absolutely detests slow-paced, weak world-building anime. He's into this as well now. I'm so happy this series exists.

HelloWinter fucked around with this message at 14:06 on Sep 13, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
There's absolutely a good reason why Murata begged to redraw Ones earlier work.

He's really good at what he does well.

Buzzsaw Roomba
Feb 14, 2012

Christ, what an asshole.
Claw!

Hace
Feb 13, 2012

<<Mobius 1, Engage.>>
This show is so good

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Slime posted:

Oh poo poo, Mob's going to get hit with Salt Splash. The song listing all those special moves didn't include it as a joke, it's a 100% real special move!

Reigen doesn't know any "fake" special moves. :colbert:

Rexides
Jul 25, 2011

Reigen's moves might not be psychic, but they are all definitely special.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Mordaedil posted:

There's absolutely a good reason why Murata begged to redraw Ones earlier work.

He's really good at what he does well.

ONE is an actual genius at everything to do with manga except art(and he's not that bad at that either)

Murata even keeps most of his panel layouts and stuff

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
the fights in this show are so loving good

they are almost as good as reigen is powerful

Expect My Mom fucked around with this message at 23:54 on Sep 13, 2016

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
If the whole thing with Reigan turns out to be the most perfect example of "Cassandra Truth" of all time I'll flip my lid.

It might actually give Mob a reason beyond naivety as to why he follows Reigan around.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Was literally writing a post saying how funny it'd be if Reigen was as strong as he pretended while the credits played and then that happened

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe

EmmyOk posted:

how funny it'd be if Reigen was as strong as he pretended
i dont understand this post

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Moltrey posted:

i dont understand this post

So it's pretty obvious to me that Reigen pretends to be less powerful than he actually is so as not to terrify the small fry or regular humans. He pretends to be the world's strongest esper but is in fact the world's strongest esper (even more so).

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
reigen has never pretended to be anything but the most powerful, rising star of the psychic world

also he's a psychic, he's not an esper, please learn the lore

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Moltrey posted:

reigen has never pretended to be anything but the most powerful, rising star of the psychic world

also he's a psychic, he's not an esper, please learn the lore

I have only palyed op man b4, dont tel me git gud. How to I parry?

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Raenir Salazar posted:

It might actually give Mob a reason beyond naivety as to why he follows Reigan around.

You mean a reason other than Reigen being the best and the coolest?

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Raenir Salazar posted:

Except he's a cool and strong adult figure in Mob's life that actively helps him and gives him a strong moral backbown to lean on, even if it's coming from a con man.

Reigan is a good dad to Mob.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

In the closing credits it is in sepia for the whole thing until the very end when colour starts seeping in as soon as Reigen touches Mob's shoulder.

Drink Top
Jul 21, 2012
It is interesting to me how little parents are involved in the story. I don't think they were even given faces. Anyone who has family ties seems to only focus on their siblings.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

EmmyOk posted:

In the closing credits it is in sepia for the whole thing until the very end when colour starts seeping in as soon as Reigen touches Mob's shoulder.

Another sign of Reigen's massive powers.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Drink Top posted:

It is interesting to me how little parents are involved in the story. I don't think they were even given faces. Anyone who has family ties seems to only focus on their siblings.

We have met them twice and they have faces and distinct personalities. The mam complains about Mob bending spoons and the dad thinks espers will be espers.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Drink Top posted:

Mob's parents do have faces.

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

Drink Top posted:

We've seen mob's family briefly during some dinner scenes but that's it

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012
Just saw the latest episode. In some ways it's more of a straight shonen battle manga storyline than Mob usually is (the protagonists go to an enemy base to rescue a friend, everyone gets split up, they get into one-on-one fights with the enemy organization's high-ranking members), but it stands out by being much faster paced than the arcs in Bleach, Reborn, etc. with similar plot structures. I'm interested in seeing where they go with that cliffhanger. Maybe Reigen is such a good con artist that he make espers imagine he has a powerful aura? Or the Claw leader is Reigen's identical twin brother? (Everyone seems to have a brother in this show.)

Terror Sweat
Mar 15, 2009

Only one character has a brother in this show, what are you talking about.
(the twins don't really matter or count)

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Terror Sweat posted:

Only one character has a brother in this show, what are you talking about.

I can think of two right off the top of my head!

Ritsu has a brother and Shigeo has a brother!

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Also the student council president had that rear end in a top hat older brother.

I wonder if/when we're coming back to them, on that tangent. The president's home situation and what happened at the school and all are wrong on so many levels, so I hope at least some of those things are resolved after we finish up with Claw.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Terror Sweat posted:

Please don't discount Pacman and Steve?. They try their best.

Thor-Stryker
Nov 11, 2005

Silver2195 posted:

Just saw the latest episode. In some ways it's more of a straight shonen battle manga storyline than Mob usually is (the protagonists go to an enemy base to rescue a friend, everyone gets split up, they get into one-on-one fights with the enemy organization's high-ranking members), but it stands out by being much faster paced than the arcs in Bleach, Reborn, etc. with similar plot structures. .)[/spoiler]

This show has the same fight trope as One-Punch Man: Invincible main protagonist gets in fight with enemy combatant and proceeds to annihilate opponent after they work through their various levels of super saiyan.

And then the follow up trope: Support-characters are less powerful, making them the actual drama pieces in the show as they attempt to overcome obstacles at perilous risk.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
Albeit Mob lacks just enough experience that eventually he trips over his own feet and snatches defeat from the jaws of victory.

Xinder
Apr 27, 2013

i want to be a prince
Same general tropes, yeah, but Mob can actually go down as we saw in this episode. He's got overwhelming power but he doesn't always know how to use it correctly and can be caught off-guard.

So it's a bit different in that regard.

Rexides
Jul 25, 2011

Yeah, there are definitely similarities between the two works, but he is obviously going for a character arc for the protagonist in MP100. OPM was more of a worldbuilding story than a story about the protagonist.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

OPM has a lot of great secondary characters, like King or Metal Bat but it has no Reigen.

Reigen is a gift from ONE to lesser mortals.

Thor-Stryker
Nov 11, 2005

Xinder posted:

Same general tropes, yeah, but Mob can actually go down as we saw in this episode. He's got overwhelming power but he doesn't always know how to use it correctly and can be caught off-guard.

I mean I haven't read the manga but it seems that knocking mob out is just a way to progress the story.

It feels like a repeat because the author already did this with the brother being stolen: mob gets into a fight and 'loses' just enough for the plot to move forward before actually decimating the guy because he was holding back before.

Though I'll be pleasantly surprised if Mob actually remains powerless and the supporting cast solves the issue, perhaps secret god-king Reigen will do it.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

I feel like the ideas in the stories are very different and the nature of how they treat their incredible strength. Saitama wants to find an outlet for his but Mob is more concerned with controlling it and not letting it control his life.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Mob Psycho

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
Mob is a middle schooler while Saitama is a grown rear end adult, and the differences in each series are mostly derived from that one distinction.

So while Mob is concerned with getting the cute red headed girl to notice him, Saitama is concerned with getting to the grocery store before the sale ends so he can stretch his budget that much farther. And while Mob is continuing to develop himself through his interactions with his friends/enemies and family, Saitama is more fully self confident and self-actualized--which, given how mature most of the other heroes are, leads to them learning from him.

This is might explain why there isn't an obvious Reigan equivalent in OPM.

Dr Subterfuge
Aug 31, 2005

TIME TO ROC N' ROLL

Rexides posted:

Yeah, there are definitely similarities between the two works, but he is obviously going for a character arc for the protagonist in MP100. OPM was more of a worldbuilding story than a story about the protagonist.

Yeah MP100 being a coming-of-age story sets the whole thing down a different path than OPM. Both characters have overwhelming strength, but while Mob hasn't mastered his, Saitama has. Saitama had an advantage because his powers aren't tied up with his emotional maturity.

Hace
Feb 13, 2012

<<Mobius 1, Engage.>>

Sagabal
Apr 24, 2010

ah, mobbu

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

Thor-Stryker posted:

I mean I haven't read the manga but it seems that knocking mob out is just a way to progress the story.

It feels like a repeat because the author already did this with the brother being stolen: mob gets into a fight and 'loses' just enough for the plot to move forward before actually decimating the guy because he was holding back before.

Though I'll be pleasantly surprised if Mob actually remains powerless and the supporting cast solves the issue, perhaps secret god-king Reigen will do it.

He just lost though, like a double-KO, but a KO is still a KO. Saitama can't be KO'd because that is The Joke.

• Locked thread