Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

kalensc posted:

I was happy with my half-prices on the previous banner, skipped this one entirely, and will definitely pull once per day on the new one. I currently have 0 of CoD/Lenna/WoL/Kefka/Chizuru, and they're all either small upgrades or huge improvements to my team. May consider pulling with tickets if I don't do well on the dailies. :ohdear:

Farming is almost over, hope I can get enough flour to get everything I wanted. All that's left are:

- Trust Moogle
- HP +20%
- 10x Limit Burst Pots
- Rabbit's Foot
- 20 Gigantaurs
- Miscellaneous materials of which I already own too many

Not sure how I should prioritize those. I suppose the TM first, then HP, then some Pots? The Rabbit's Foot is weird, I guess it will come in handy every 14th~ cast of a negative status, but it'd have to be on a mage/healer and they usually have better stuff to wear. And I may get the Gigantaurs due to being out of town this weekend, so won't have much time to Vortex the special Cactaurs, and I'd like to be able to quickly awaken any new characters drawn over the next week.

Trust Moogle yes.
Rabbit's foot is garbage.
Limit burst pots... eh, maybe. A couple (not many) units can benefit from leveling their LB but it's still an insanely long process even if you buy all 10.
HP 20% isn't bad, better choice than everything else you listed except the moogle IMO.

Gigantaurs < Elixirs and Phoenix Downs if you didn't get them yet but otherwise :shrug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McSpankWich
Aug 31, 2005

Plum Island Animal Disease Research Center. Sounds charming.
I think I'm done with the event? The only things left for purchase are the rabbits foot, MP+20%, limit pots, and gigantuars. I'll have 19k cakes in 8 hours so I'll buy one of those things. Just not sure which one. I could also farm up a bunch of mats tomorrow... I just don't think it's probably worth it.

Go RV!
Jun 19, 2008

Uglier on the inside.

McSpankWich posted:

I think I'm done with the event? The only things left for purchase are the rabbits foot, MP+20%, limit pots, and gigantuars. I'll have 19k cakes in 8 hours so I'll buy one of those things. Just not sure which one. I could also farm up a bunch of mats tomorrow... I just don't think it's probably worth it.

Isn't today the last day to farm? I'm assuming mats are done after maintenance.

Shark Tower
Dec 31, 2008

Twelve by Pies posted:

On one hand it's nice to have five parties available so I can set a friend unit and not worry about it changing every time I swap parties, and to have different sets of teams set up for different situations and not have to manually make one every time.

On the other hand, I am really goddamn tired of not thinking and wasting stamina heading into an exploration with a single level 30 unit because I was grinding the Vortex EXP dungeon and didn't remember to switch to the correct party.

I mean I know it's my own fault, not the game's, they even show you the party you're taking on the "Depart" screen but I'm just so used to wanting to do things as fast as possible that by the time I realize what I did the stamina is already gone.

Yeah, I just need to be slower and pay more attention, but ugh. Maybe if each team had a different background color or something that stands out more than looking at the party composition.

Go RV! posted:

Isn't today the last day to farm? I'm assuming mats are done after maintenance.

Nooo my lenna friends :(

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

i really wish we could set up equipment on characters based on parties

kalensc
Sep 10, 2003

Only Trust Your Respirator, kupo!
Art/Quote by: Rubby

Evil Fluffy posted:

Trust Moogle yes.
Rabbit's foot is garbage.
Limit burst pots... eh, maybe. A couple (not many) units can benefit from leveling their LB but it's still an insanely long process even if you buy all 10.
HP 20% isn't bad, better choice than everything else you listed except the moogle IMO.

Gigantaurs < Elixirs and Phoenix Downs if you didn't get them yet but otherwise :shrug:

Yeah I already grabbed all the small items, so it looks like I'm get the TM, HP 20%, Gigantaurs, and then either a Rabbit's foot or 1-2 LB pots. Thanks!

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

while running the dwarves forge i was heading to zone 2 since i was at 3204 gold, but got into another fight on the way and didnt pay attention, autoed it, saw the end screen where i had a screamroot, and had 3229 gold :psyduck:

Mischalaniouse
Nov 7, 2009

*ribbit*

rabidsquid posted:

while running the dwarves forge i was heading to zone 2 since i was at 3204 gold, but got into another fight on the way and didnt pay attention, autoed it, saw the end screen where i had a screamroot, and had 3229 gold :psyduck:

Yeah, super rarely you'll get a rare monster that drops a rare item. I have found a minitaur that drops a Star Quartz twice in Dwarves Forge. I have run it dozens of times though, so it is extremely rare.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

yeah, but this fight popped after i was over my battle limit for the zone

Shark Tower
Dec 31, 2008

rabidsquid posted:

yeah, but this fight popped after i was over my battle limit for the zone

that's how it works.

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

Is the nox code everyone uses, the one that's been buried in pages by now easily available somewhere? A friend wants to run the TM grind but I have no idea which page it is on now.

Fenrir
Apr 26, 2005

I found my kendo stick, bitch!

Lipstick Apathy

Evil Fluffy posted:

Dragonlord gets a 700% ST Fire Magic Attack and AOE full break TM (I think?), Erdrick's Sword is 125atk vs Excalibur's 120 but lacks Holy element, and IIRC Orochi's TM is a 30% resistance to all elements materia?

Characters aren't amazingly gamebreaking but if you want that you might as well save now for Orlandu in 6 months or so because he is broken as poo poo and apparently he chains off himself pretty easily so a pair of Orlandu (or more) can just obliterate things similar to how a couple Lightnings could one-round some boss fights like the dragon flower(?) due to tons of elemental chaining.

:stare:

SPLIT YOUR LUNGS WITH BLOOD AND THUNDER
WHEN YOU SEE THE WHITE WHALE
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v-Su1YXQYek

Holy loving poo poo, man the harpoons

Mischalaniouse
Nov 7, 2009

*ribbit*
Oh wow, my game crashed after my morning half-price roll and then somehow lost my account so I spent some time fixing that and forgot to check what my roll actually was until now. It was a second Fencer! I'm on my way to having an actual physical party now.

Shark Tower
Dec 31, 2008
So is having 2 tanks at all a thing in jp? I have 2 cecils and am wondering if the 2nd one is worth fielding later on, since i hear a lot of future trials are more about surviving turn to turn.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy

rabidsquid posted:

i really wish we could set up equipment on characters based on parties

But how would Gumi make their lapis from slot expansion?

Shark Tower posted:

So is having 2 tanks at all a thing in jp? I have 2 cecils and am wondering if the 2nd one is worth fielding later on, since i hear a lot of future trials are more about surviving turn to turn.

As long as you make some nonzero effort to give them attacking skills (so you don't die of boredom or of totally running out of restoratives) a tank party is great!

interrodactyl
Nov 8, 2011

you have no dignity
anyone have lennas left? i'm really close to getting enough flour...

e: looking through the spreadsheet i think i have every lenna on the list :<

interrodactyl fucked around with this message at 05:45 on Sep 15, 2016

Tipme
Oct 30, 2009
Hi. I'm a Chelsea fan since 2010. Please murder me with a piece of pipe. thanks.

my completely useless 300 SPR Lenna, with silver glasses so she dont miss.

Speaking of, I've been sending a party of 2x Lenna, 2x Zidane and a Locke to Ballen Passage, where they have those headstones that resist physical damage. This is to level up the limit breaks. They do blind you though, but you only really get two accessories that resist blind.

Might be worth it to set up a script where the Lennas also heal the headstones, I've tried but :effort: maybe during the weekend.

interrodactyl posted:

anyone have lennas left? i'm really close to getting enough flour...

e: looking through the spreadsheet i think i have every lenna on the list :<

i sent you a request

doomknight66
Jan 25, 2012

Courage is the magic that turns dreams into reality
Somehow a Vaan snuck into my units list! Now my Mage Team is perfectly set!

amaranthine
Aug 27, 2009
I AM A TERRIBLE HUMAN BEING

Shark Tower posted:

Note, a few of the 6*'s get added effects to their limit breaks (for example, cod gets blind added). So check that out too.

Had to look it up to make sure, but 6* garland gets 50%-75% ATK bonus for the whole team on his, which is pretty gross. He's probably a reasonable choice if you have a low-level version/if you don't have a cecil/if you don't have space to leave them around for when you get a better option.

Vax
Dec 29, 2011

delicious!

Tipme posted:

Speaking of, I've been sending a party of 2x Lenna, 2x Zidane and a Locke to Ballen Passage, where they have those headstones that resist physical damage. This is to level up the limit breaks.

But why?

MohShuvuu
Aug 26, 2010

I eat ass.

Shark Tower posted:

I hope you have one of them at 3* still, it's the quickest way to max his LB so that you get a nice AoE 70% cheer when he hits 6*.

Vax
Dec 29, 2011

delicious!
Why does every good banner smell like a trap?

I mean they HAD to know people would vote all the good stuff onto that banner. So why make it easy (read: cheap) for people to aquire the units Gumi has an interest in to make hard (read: expensive) to attain? ITS A TRAP! Reason: 3-4 weeks after the FB banner = first 6* Lightning(?) Gumi will rake in even more money. Around Christmas/Newyear we will get a lot more 6* to dump money on to fatten their yearly revenue and close the business year with a big fat $$$+++

Thinking
Jan 22, 2009

The announcement banner for the Shining Splendour sword is amazing

Mischalaniouse
Nov 7, 2009

*ribbit*
"There is a new unique recipe that can be found in the deepest reaches of the cavern. Rumors has it that it is for a blade so tedious and expensive to craft that the blacksmith community cringes at the mere mention of this sword."

:gonk:

Vax
Dec 29, 2011

delicious!
Boy am I glad to see another exploration event. We hadn't have one of those in ages!

Trilin
Dec 15, 2009

Ah! There he is!
Technically, the last event didn't require doing any explorations at all. :colbert:

More seriously, my understanding is that all the materials come from collection nodes, so nothing is stopping you from leaving immediately after looting them, which is a far cry from maxing out encounters like we've been doing.

A Garland popped out of the daily half off summon today. That's rather nice actually, and at least technically I've been getting lucky with rare characters even if they're not actually useful (either at the moment or at all).

Mylan
Jun 19, 2002

Mischalaniouse posted:

"There is a new unique recipe that can be found in the deepest reaches of the cavern. Rumors has it that it is for a blade so tedious and expensive to craft that the blacksmith community cringes at the mere mention of this sword."

No, see, they're poking fun at themselves this time so it's ok.

m.hache
Dec 1, 2004

Fun Shoe
Christ it took forever to farm up one superior blade.

Wood was actually my bottleneck. Is there a low level zone I can nox script? Or is it exploration only?

Mischalaniouse
Nov 7, 2009

*ribbit*

m.hache posted:

Wood was actually my bottleneck. Is there a low level zone I can nox script? Or is it exploration only?

Wow, just looked this up, its an astronomical amount of required wood.

KnoxZone
Jan 27, 2007

If I die before I Wake, I pray the Lord my soul to take.
This event probably won't be too bad since it is only 4 days long and there is only one time sensitive material. Can just get the 5 billion coppers/lumbers doing earth shrine explore for my dailies. Still, I nearly died when I read the announcement. I can't wait for the real events to come.

WebDO
Sep 25, 2009

KnoxZone posted:

This event probably won't be too bad since it is only 4 days long and there is only one time sensitive material. Can just get the 5 billion coppers/lumbers doing earth shrine explore for my dailies. Still, I nearly died when I read the announcement. I can't wait for the real events to come.

Does anyone know if these events ever come back around? I've still kept my stuff from the demons out of spite

Tengames
Oct 29, 2008

WebDO posted:

Does anyone know if these events ever come back around? I've still kept my stuff from the demons out of spite

This is a previous event with a new teir to grind so clearly we can all look forward to a graviga rod requiring 3 rods of gravity to craft

Shark Tower
Dec 31, 2008

Tipme posted:

my completely useless 300 SPR Lenna, with silver glasses so she dont miss.

Speaking of, I've been sending a party of 2x Lenna, 2x Zidane and a Locke to Ballen Passage, where they have those headstones that resist physical damage. This is to level up the limit breaks. They do blind you though, but you only really get two accessories that resist blind.

Might be worth it to set up a script where the Lennas also heal the headstones, I've tried but :effort: maybe during the weekend.

i sent you a request

sweet, glad i'm not the only dumbass farming lb's. i've been doing maranda coast for my team, after stripping everyone of their weapons and espers save ramuh for the boss. the weaker your team is, the more lb's you can proc, but the more likely you'll wipe. plus every run takes like 45 minutes to clear out haha.

i have issues.

MohShuvuu posted:

I hope you have one of them at 3* still, it's the quickest way to max his LB so that you get a nice AoE 70% cheer when he hits 6*.

they are both at 3* still!

Mischalaniouse posted:

the sword itself is pretty good. lower on the damage side, but nothing comparable in jp that also procs status effects. it'll probably be worth it to pick up one, but will have to see how good the drop rate is for cavern ore.

m.hache posted:

pretty sure explorations only.

McSpankWich
Aug 31, 2005

Pulled a Miyuki today, aside from her obviously great TM, is she a good unit? Should I level her?

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

McSpankWich posted:

Pulled a Miyuki today, aside from her obviously great TM, is she a good unit? Should I level her?

She's better than Shadow and at least goes up to 5*. If you need someone to use all those Shurikens you may have made in order to get crafting trophies, she's probably your best option for that, or at least tied with Hayate who is equally mediocre-with-a-great-TM.

She's not all that hot, in other words. Definitely not A-team material, maybe a B or C lister at best.

Benthalus
Jul 5, 2002

doomknight66 posted:

Somehow a Vaan snuck into my units list! Now my Mage Team is perfectly set!

And my 1/2 price pull today was Vaan, hooray! Had been hoping for Celes on the last banner since I only started a month ago, but Vaan will be even better as my only Full Breaker. My A-team can now consist of:

Exdeath
Tellah
Lenna
Vaan
Terra/Locke/Leo (depending on fight specifics)

Now I don't need to worry as much about the units I pull and can just enjoy getting Shadowned and Bediled for the next month.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Pulled a 3* Bartz today! :toot:

Too bad for him that I already have CoD and two Artemios. If he didn't have that annoying Auto-Potion I'd consider running him though.

McSpankWich
Aug 31, 2005

What do you guys run for story missions to complete the daily? I've been doing the Dwarves Forge - North Side during the mogcakes thing, but there's no need to waste 11 nrg on that now. Prior to that I was doing the one for the Hungers, but I finished that quest as well. Should I just run earth shrine 3 times because its 1 nrg? Is there a story mission that's actually worth running over and over?

edit: Ok turns out I still have the quest for gloom widows, so I'll just do those. Still though, if I didn't have any quests with specific monsters to kill, is there a story mission worth running repeatedly?

McSpankWich fucked around with this message at 15:22 on Sep 15, 2016

Skyridge
Jan 1, 2011

half-price pull today gave me....

....a second Zidane

Ok, sure, I'll take it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

McSpankWich posted:

edit: Ok turns out I still have the quest for gloom widows, so I'll just do those. Still though, if I didn't have any quests with specific monsters to kill, is there a story mission worth running repeatedly?

Honestly, any story quest that can give you good drops will also give you good drops in the exploration, esper fights count as explorations for some odd reason (probably coding-related), so unless you want to murder the Chocobo Eater boss repeatedly for a miniscule chance of pulling a Sacred/Holy Crystal, I'd say Earth Shrine is the best bet just because it's cheap.

• Locked thread