Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Death Bot
Mar 4, 2007

Binary killing machines, turning 1 into 0 since 0011000100111001 0011011100110110
I watched this episode in a half awake dream state last night, and I'm glad for the HAYT ep.

A friend of mine had this game and I definitely get the whole "maybe I don't just get it" thing. I definitely remember liking it a little but feeling like maybe it would be better if I knew how to get to the secret levels or whatever.

Honestly I feel like a lot of this was self defense for how many n64 games were just a little bad but not outrageously so, also being a literal child

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

you were warned
Jul 12, 2006

(the S is for skeleton)
I remember renting this for a weekend, beating it, and thinking "ugh, really?" It looked so cool in Nintendo Power! That awful out of tune stage end music has been etched into my mind ever since.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

This is actually really disconcerting to watch in a way I can't really describe.

Glad this is just a single episode, wow.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

YS is cool for the scenario in which is the only new game you're going to get for about half a year. It's super replayable; you can go for a different route through the game each time, all the stages are full of secrets that you definitely won't discover until your fifth time through them, and you can always make your own difficulty by choosing to only go for the melons.

I'm not saying I would love it if it came out today, but I did have a whole lot of fun with it.

Also, I just realised that I almost described Shadow the Hedgehog. Yoshi's story is Mario's Shadow the Hedgehog.

Dresh
Jun 15, 2008

hrmph.

Amppelix posted:

YS is cool for the scenario in which is the only new game you're going to get for about half a year. It's super replayable; you can go for a different route through the game each time, all the stages are full of secrets that you definitely won't discover until your fifth time through them, and you can always make your own difficulty by choosing to only go for the melons.

I'm not saying I would love it if it came out today, but I did have a whole lot of fun with it.

Also, I just realised that I almost described Shadow the Hedgehog. Yoshi's story is Mario's Shadow the Hedgehog.

THIS IS WHO I AM

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice

Dresh posted:

THIS IS WHO I AM

Where's that drat last melon?

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Did yoshi just shoot mario in the back of the head execution style?

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

Tunicate posted:

Did yoshi just shoot mario in the back of the head execution style?

payback for all the times mario punches him in the back of the head.

Captain Lavender
Oct 21, 2010

verb the adjective noun

I remember being real distressed as a kid that 2D games were gone forever, just by the way Nintendo seemed allergic to them. I was convinced that they were making bad ones on purpose to kill 2D games altogether. Yoshi's Story, and (sorry) Mischief Makers - which I hated at the time, but kind of want to try again. I had a similar fear in the early 2000s that every game in the future would be cel-shaded, with how ubiquitous it was for a while.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer
Mischief Makers is awesome, intending to be a challenging difficult game

Sum Mors
Feb 21, 2008
I absolutely LOVED Mischief Makers except for the awful control scheme on the SHAKE SHAAKE~! But you get used to it after a while.

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??

Captain Lavender posted:

I remember being real distressed as a kid that 2D games were gone forever, just by the way Nintendo seemed allergic to them. I was convinced that they were making bad ones on purpose to kill 2D games altogether. Yoshi's Story, and (sorry) Mischief Makers - which I hated at the time, but kind of want to try again. I had a similar fear in the early 2000s that every game in the future would be cel-shaded, with how ubiquitous it was for a while.

Mischief Makers is the best title on the N64, so you should definitely give it another shot. The controls are a bit awkward but everything else is sublime.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

2D games were never properly gone though, since they could just stick around on the gameboy.

I remember being anxious when the DS was coming out that 2D games would be dead for good though, especially since as a dumb kid, I was really invested in reading sprite comics back then. That method of rendering is what really died for a while. There were still games that existed in 2 dimensions but were rendered in 3, like Smash Brothers and Kirby 64. It's really surprising how much everyone was on the same page with dropping sprites and taking up 3D modeling and making these really janky looking early 3D graphics, especially when you see the kinds of things the GBA did later with 32-bit graphics, you can just imagine what 2D games could've done with the 64 bits on the N64.

Of course, then there was Paper Mario, which was the best of all worlds. Nice looking pre-rendered sprites in a 3D world, all wrapped up in a cute aesthetic to smooth over the inconsistencies.

funky not a junkie
Aug 5, 2011

gnome7 posted:

Mischief Makers is the best title on the N64, so you should definitely give it another shot. The controls are a bit awkward but everything else is sublime.

Agree with this!! Mischief makers is by far the best game on a console that has aged extremely poorly

Pladdicus
Aug 13, 2010
The reason they did one Yoshi story episode was probably to minimize the resharing of people's yoshi island opinions.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Even as a child I thought Yoshi's Story was complete poo poo.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

funky not a junkie posted:

Agree with this!! Mischief makers is by far the best game on a console that has aged extremely poorly

You can't possibly think this when Banjo-Kazooie exists.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer
I'm with Lizard Wizard.

Sum Mors
Feb 21, 2008
I consider Banjoe-Kazooie less a platformer and more a "collect random junk for infinity" game. See: Dragon, Spyro.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Sum Mors posted:

I consider Banjoe-Kazooie less a platformer and more a "collect random junk for infinity" game.

Yeah, just like I consider Persona 4 less of a JRPG and more of a "solve a murder mystery" game! Except oh wait nobody does.

Scaly Haylie fucked around with this message at 07:47 on Jul 22, 2016

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

I like Yoshi Story, but the same way I like something like Animal Crossing - there's no challenge to it, sometimes it's just nice to do some simple activity while surrounded by cute stuff.

I understand the decision to only do one video of it, though.

Also, n-thing the childhood despair over the death of 2D gaming. I clung to my snes as time went on because of it. I guess I was a childhood hipster shithead - "they don't make games the way they used to!"

Killingyouguy! fucked around with this message at 13:57 on Jul 22, 2016

Captain Lavender
Oct 21, 2010

verb the adjective noun

Killingyouguy! posted:

I like Yoshi Story, but the same way I like something like Animal Crossing - there's no challenge to it, sometimes it's just nice to do some simple activity while surrounded by cute stuff.

I understand this.

When I first played it though, it was the video game equivalent to taking a bite of cereal, and realizing you put orange juice in it instead of milk.

Trash Boat
Dec 28, 2012

VROOM VROOM

Captain Lavender posted:

When I first played it though, it was the video game equivalent to taking a bite of cereal, and realizing you put orange juice in it instead of milk.

But then you realize you love it.

19LettersLong
May 8, 2011

...let's just put this away.

Game & Watch Gallery 2 (1998)
Part 1/1 (LP pt.124) [Youtube]

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

These games were my jam, man. With modern Helmet, you can collect more coins to steadily become slower and slower until you get a massive payout when you go through that door.

Pet ashes being mixed with a bunch of other dead animals is a real thing, and it's fraud. NPR's planet money team did a story on it, where they sent an entirely fake animal corpse in to get cremated, and the ashes contained things that couldn't possibly have been in the fake corpse. There was a similar scandal a while back with human crematoriums where bodies were being burned en masse and bits of corpses were being sold off or stashed Jeffery Dahmer style. The whole thing was finally outed by a holocaust survivor who knew the smell of burning bodies.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
On the subject of works with more nuance than "Goblins and Orcs are bad because they are Orcs and Goblins" 99 Nights actually does something interesting with that. The first character you play as in the game is a general, leading her armies against the goblins as a war has broken out, however she has a ~*thing*~ about goblins because a group of them killed her family. At the end of the first level you, of course, go off the beaten path to explore after leading an army to fight a few thousand goblin combatants. But, while there isn't much to the right, if you happen to go to the left, you lose control of the main character as she finds and massacres a village of goblins, even though they're not combatants. She reveals herself as an outright racist by killing hundreds of goblin women and children. At the end of the level, she is turned to stone by some event that is her fault, and your left going "OK Game, you have my attention. Will she learn an important lesson and redeem herself, or will she double down and maybe even become the primary villain?" However I never found out due to garbage difficulty scaling. Because I played too well during the first chapter, the second chapter adjusted to be harder, and was so hard as a result as to be unplayable. And no matter how much I died, the difficulty never dropped again, so I was stuck, and sad because I wanted to know where the story went.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Hey, do you have a link to that Pokemon Gray highlight video or whatever it is? Thanks!

Loren1350
Mar 30, 2007
The android movies were "Not Quite Human" and the android was named Chip. One of the sequels was "Still Not Quite Human" and the other was "Not Quite Human Too" I think? that had a lady inventor who was part of a team who made a girl android. They had Alan Thicke as the dad/inventor and I liked them as a kid because I have always been a nerd who likes AI and robots. I had a friend, however, who was raised pretty sheltered and to him they were The Best Movies Ever.

Zeikier
Jan 26, 2010

"This woman...she's killed before, and not just once..."

I'm curious if there are other games that'll have a fringe connection with Mario here and beyond, like if there are other games like Tetris that'll be thrown in for the sake of video game history.

Zeikier
Jan 26, 2010

Part 125 - Super Smash Bros.

Recently uploaded to their channel!

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012

Zeikier posted:

Part 125 - Super Smash Bros.

Recently uploaded to their channel!

I've gone back and played the original after playing Brawl and Melee and it's pretty much drat near unplayable. such it is with old games, I suppose. my middle school had a game room we could use during lunch and it had an N64 with Smash Bros, so there was always a pretty long queue.

Zeikier
Jan 26, 2010

morallyobjected posted:

I've gone back and played the original after playing Brawl and Melee and it's pretty much drat near unplayable. such it is with old games, I suppose. my middle school had a game room we could use during lunch and it had an N64 with Smash Bros, so there was always a pretty long queue.

My Smash experience was almost exclusively 2-player. For the original Smash we were lucky to ever get more than two functioning N64 controllers, but after unlocking all the characters I felt no incentive to keep playing and took off until Melee came out (I can't believe Normal difficulty gave me as hard a time as it did). I remember laughing a whole bunch during the Master Hand fight; all the animations looked so silly.

I don't think we got more than two GC controllers either cuz all our Nintendo controllers with joysticks were notorious for dying after maybe half a year. Had a lot more multiplayer luck, but yeah Melee was my favorite. It had the most snap for your inputs and a really nice impact feel. Brawl was so floaty and never felt like hitting someone just right was a thing.

Smash 4 struck a decent balance between Brawl's style with Melee's impact feel.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Now that they hit the big-time they forgot all about little old somethingawful and it's weird endless slap fights about Yoshi's Island? (gently caress Yoshi's Island I hate it and hope it burns in hell)

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

So long, and thanks for all the fish gallbladdΣrs!

Mario
Luigi
Peach
Daisy
Yoshi
Wario
Bowser
Samus
Fox
Kirby
Pikachu (backed up by pokeballs)
Ness
Bomberman
Megaman
R.O.B (the snowman model you mentioned)
Link (only one, thank you)
Zelda (maybe, I mean she's a less-famous generic princess)
Maybe Joana from Perfect Dark? But she's hardly a franchise mainstay
DK
Diddy
Banjo Kazooie coule be fun
Mr Game and Watch? He was even replaced in his own remakes.

I mean, who else really jumps out from the Nintendo franchise?
Conkers, from his bad fur day? He's hardly family friendly. Video Joe?

funky not a junkie
Aug 5, 2011
This was by far one of my most played n64 games, I was a beast with pikachu!! Ahh great memories of playing this with my brother and my friends :')

then melee came along and it got even better.

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

Jack Gladney posted:

Now that they hit the big-time they forgot all about little old somethingawful and it's weird endless slap fights about Yoshi's Island? (gently caress Yoshi's Island I hate it and hope it burns in hell)

Yoshi's Island is cool and good.

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

I can't believe they hosed up Charles Martinet's name in the credits ("Charles Martinee"). I'm curious what role Shigesato Itoi played in the first Smash Bros., though. Didn't the MOTHER characters come much later in the series?

PureRok
Mar 27, 2010

Good as new.
Ness is in the first Smash Bros. game.

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

Wow, that far back? Cool. (I've never played a Smash Bros. game or seen one played until now. :saddowns:)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

you were warned
Jul 12, 2006

(the S is for skeleton)
Oh, I forgot about Keith's snapple facts! Actually, I forgot about them entirely. I was drinking a lot of snapple a while ago, but never looked under the cap.

I saw one many years ago with the "a duck's quack doesn't echo, and no one knows why" bullshit, and I haven't trusted a single one since. :mad:

• Locked thread