Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

If you don't drop a couple hundy on a pair of sick sweaters, then you're beer leaguing wrong.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Development
Jun 2, 2016

recidivist posted:

We're staying some place in Bloordale Village, but we're totally willing to go to places further out (though I know how sprawling Toronto is from past trips where a car was handy)

lol, I don't think there's anything there but a bunch of hipsters. avoid Grey Tiger, super vegan hipster place.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance

recidivist posted:

We're staying some place in Bloordale Village, but we're totally willing to go to places further out (though I know how sprawling Toronto is from past trips where a car was handy)

You'll probably have more luck pushing a little bit out into the burbs, I'm not 100% on that though. I live in Hamilton and could give you some good advice for around here but I'm sure there's some Torontonians reading this thread.

delpheye
Jun 18, 2004

I'm gonna fuck me a moon man!

Bootcha posted:

Tangentially, I've trying to figure out the best cost price for the HockeyTron NYI jerseys to get applique'd/embroidered.

TallyHockey did a full set of 15 for about $1100k. A follow up batch of 6 was about $460. Sadly the jersey selection is limited.

The NYI Tron jerseys were 12 bux steal a pop for a total of about $250 (but only came in M/L/XXL). So far the logo alone costs between $700 and $1900 for the set, and the name/numbers tacking on an additional $300 to $500.

Even vinyl/screen printing is pretty high, between $600 and $800 for logo/name/number.

Maybe it's location but I'm in the heart of Texas surrounded by high school football, you'd think jersey shops would more competitive.

Basically, poo poo's expensive.

I'm late, but you aren't wrong about being able to get jerseys done at a better price. I'm in DFW, but I know there are a number of smaller shops that'll do embroidery for a fairly reasonable price. If you're in the DFW hockey group I know a couple of shop owners are in there but also pretty much any muni jersey operation should be able to give you a quote. Y&S(again, if you're up in my hood) can do it, but I think they send it all over to china to keep prices low.

bgreman
Oct 8, 2005

ASK ME ABOUT STICKING WITH A YEARS-LONG LETS PLAY OF THE MOST COMPLICATED SPACE SIMULATION GAME INVENTED, PLAYING BOTH SIDES, AND SPENDING HOURS GOING ABOVE AND BEYOND TO ENSURE INTERNET STRANGERS ENJOY THEMSELVES
Took a delay of game penalty last night for "pulling the puck toward me" as I attempted to handpass it back into my zone after falling down on top of it.

We were already shorthanded and down 3-1. Seemed kinda ticky-tacky to me. I never closed my hand on the puck, just didn't bat at it on the ice but swept it in an arc instead.

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Leave me alone, dad, I'm with my friends!

Hockey related: not during a game, but while working out. Dropped a squat rep, set the bar down on the safeties but lost my balance and mashed my hand between the bar and the rack.

https://imgur.com/gallery/gPDuS

My son and I laughed at the faucet of blood.

YeehawMcKickass
Jan 2, 2003

WE WELCOME THE OPPRESSORS

xzzy posted:

New team hasn't even played our first game (we had an hour of ice last night to get to know each other though, which was pretty cool) and a few guys already talking about the extravagant jerseys they want to buy. I get that's part of the fun to make an identity and put it out there, but our player fee already cover buying a jersey, the rink is giving them to us with numbers on them, and there's no guarantee that this group will stick together past one session yet. They might, but who knows what's going to happen in 6 months?

I've been skating for five years now and have more jerseys than I know what to do with, I don't want even more clutter in my closet.

It's also my firm stance that the cheapest jerseys are the best because they're paper thin and it feels good when the breeze cuts through them.

The jerseys the rink provides are about paper quality. I'll be interested to see how your team shapes up. Hopefully you don't have a crazy ringer like mine did last year.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

There's one guy on the team who I think has at least some high school skating experience.. he's got that fluid look that adult learners never really pick up and some decent hands. If he wasn't holding back I don't think he'll turn into a ringer but I'm pretty sure he'll be our top scorer. Everyone else is AIL level, about a third of the team came from the glitter ponies.

So far my favorite part about the league is they have a website that actually works that lets you know when games are scheduled and teammates can check in to confirm their attendance. I didn't think it was possible for a rink to have a quality website but I've been proven wrong.

First game is against black ice so drizzle is gonna show up here Monday missing a few teeth.

drizzle
Jul 7, 2004

The world is a fine place and worth the fighting for and I hate very much to leave it.
Should be a pretty rough game for me I haven't skated since our July 11 game I think because of all these weddings this summer. In the middle of a lazy Florida vacation now too which won't help. Hopefully your team will be as slow as me :I

Bradf0rd
Jun 16, 2008

Agent of Chaos

Thufir posted:

In other try-hard news, these D-league (beginner league) guys won the summer session at the rink where I play and they are being ridiculous https://www.facebook.com/Themightydrunks/

Holy poo poo. How does one get a radio interview for winning your beer league division? Also, this is amazing.

Bootcha
Nov 13, 2012

Truly, the pinnacle of goaltending
Grimey Drawer
Didn't make the video or radio, but we were the best looking dick-joke team for the newspapers, for the new sheet grand opening tourney.

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Ask me where I do my best drinking!

Pillbug

Bradf0rd posted:

Holy poo poo. How does one get a radio interview for winning your beer league division? Also, this is amazing.

That's the cleanest locker room I've seen. The ones around here are nasty that you think to yourself I wonder what I'm going to get today.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
Yeah, the locker room I get changed in is a toss up between catching aids or syphilis, depending on what seat you sit on.

The floor has gaps in it too, so if you don't watch your feet you're gonna stamp your blade onto concrete.

z0331
Oct 2, 2003

Holtby thy name
Welp, barring any issues I should be signed up for my first rec league season. I'll be a "restricted" player, which basically means I pay a slightly discounted rate and if a full bench shows up of regulars, I might get bumped, but the organizer told me it's actually pretty rare to have that happen more than a couple times per season, which is 15 games plus a couple of guaranteed playoff games.

Of course, there's no other way to practice, so I'll probably sign up to repeat the instructional class I'm doing, which is a whole other set of :10bux:

Thufir
May 19, 2004

"The fucking Mayans were right."

Bradf0rd posted:

Some of the dudes on the team have a hockey radio show is how.

calandryll posted:

That's the cleanest locker room I've seen. The ones around here are nasty that you think to yourself I wonder what I'm going to get today.

That rink is only 2 years old, give it a little time to get broken in.

Bradf0rd
Jun 16, 2008

Agent of Chaos

calandryll posted:

I specifically got a meningitis vaccine because of things like this:
http://www.thedenverchannel.com/news/fort-collins-meningitis-outbreak-grows-hockey-player-critical

...yet I will still drink beer out of the championship trophy.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Of the two rinks I go to, one has pretty nice locker rooms, the other has dungeons suited to nazi experiments.

Or at least the clean one looks clean. There's still probably foul diseases in the rubber floor waiting to attack anyone dumb enough to touch it with bare skin but they don't stink and they even mop them once in a while.

The the lovely run down rink is as bad as you can imagine. They always smell of piss because there's no toilets in the locker room so the idiots that skate there piss in the shower or the garbage can because of course that's acceptable behavior. If you complain to the rink staff they send a kid in to use a few squirts of a cleaner to try and mask the smell a little bit. They have no air circulation either so if the door stays shut for any length it's like walking into a sauna. A sauna of piss and hockey smell.

YeehawMcKickass
Jan 2, 2003

xzzy posted:

Everyone else is AIL level, about a third of the team came from the glitter ponies.

So far my favorite part about the league is they have a website that actually works that lets you know when games are scheduled and teammates can check in to confirm their attendance. I didn't think it was possible for a rink to have a quality website but I've been proven wrong.

Is Mike your goalie?

Yeah, the Bench is surprisingly useful.

YeehawMcKickass fucked around with this message at 19:02 on Sep 15, 2016

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

No, we got Sarah (the former ail coach turned player). She switched to goalie a month ago so that should be fun. :v:

(she also has a reputation for leading teams in pim)

Had another goalie lined up but he had to bail because he made a baby with his lady.

topenga
Jul 1, 2003

Bootcha posted:

Didn't make the video or radio, but we were the best looking dick-joke team for the newspapers, for the new sheet grand opening tourney.

I absolutely loved the name.

YeehawMcKickass
Jan 2, 2003

xzzy posted:

No, we got Sarah (the former ail coach turned player). She switched to goalie a month ago so that should be fun. :v:

(she also has a reputation for leading teams in pim)

Had another goalie lined up but he had to bail because he made a baby with his lady.

Sarah is worse than most of the guys when it comes to temper. She got suspended over the summer for checking and roughhousing.

Loqieu
Feb 27, 2001

Bradf0rd posted:

I specifically got a meningitis vaccine because of things like this:
http://www.thedenverchannel.com/news/fort-collins-meningitis-outbreak-grows-hockey-player-critical

...yet I will still drink beer out of the championship trophy.

Whoa. I'm never taking my gloves off for the handshake line ever again.

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

:siren::siren::siren::siren:
- FUCK THE HABS -

Loqieu posted:

Whoa. I'm never taking my gloves off for the handshake line ever again.

:stare: yeaaaaaah it's glove-bumps for all, from now on.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

According to the Fall schedule I have no less than FIVE games at the 11:00PM Sunday time slot. The Thursday night games are either at 9:00 or 10:15PM and we got shafted in D league on the scheduling because all of the C league teams bitched about having to play a Thursday night game every few weeks.

In other news, lost 8-4 last night. Had two brand new guys playing defense, which turned out exactly how you think it would. They got better at the end of the game though and were picking up checks decently. I had an absolutely robbery of a save off a backhander but kept getting beat off rebounds since our D didn't know to help clear the front of the net. Losing sucks, but I felt like we played well all around given how many new players we had.

Bradf0rd
Jun 16, 2008

Agent of Chaos

Duke Chin posted:

:stare: yeaaaaaah it's glove-bumps for all, from now on.

On the bright side, that rink was incredibly clean after that incident. They were sanitizing locker rooms after every game.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

I didn't know this league allowed stage names in the rink.

Robbed this guy's backhander on the short side with a glove save. Pro name though.

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

:siren::siren::siren::siren:
- FUCK THE HABS -

Bradf0rd posted:

On the bright side, that rink was incredibly clean after that incident. They were sanitizing locker rooms after every game.

I was about to pull my contacts out last night after the game and immediately went NOPE not until I get home and wash/sanitize/nuke my hands.

mostly because I had dried ketchup& mustard from the post game burger on my fingers :v:

MajorJohnSteed
Dec 20, 2014

z0331 posted:

Welp, barring any issues I should be signed up for my first rec league season. I'll be a "restricted" player, which basically means I pay a slightly discounted rate and if a full bench shows up of regulars, I might get bumped, but the organizer told me it's actually pretty rare to have that happen more than a couple times per season, which is 15 games plus a couple of guaranteed playoff games.

Of course, there's no other way to practice, so I'll probably sign up to repeat the instructional class I'm doing, which is a whole other set of :10bux:

Glad you got in. I wasn't sure how registration was going to play out for new players, but the restricted player thing doesn't seem too bad. Let me know what team you get put on.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Are there any super simple offensive and defensive schemes that can be ran in a beginner beer league team? We lost 6-1 last night and it feels like we're just a disorganized mess on the ice. We bunch up too much in the offensive zone and when we play defense, nobody covers the back door or pressures the puck carrier enough to limit scoring chances.

I know I'm asking a lot in terms of organization in beer league, but my team is on a 17 game losing streak right now. gently caress, it could be my goaltending as well, but I practice twice a week and I feel like I'm getting to the point where it's not all on me.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Yes, have people play their drat position. Wingers cover the point, defense cover the slot and their corner, center supports and shadows the puck.

If people do that the breakout kind of naturally develops.

If your team is clumping low in the zone and your opponents are halfway competent at passing they will crush you.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

A naturally developing break out is a goddamn unicorn for a team who has managed to lose 17 straight. You gotta tell people exactly where to be. Wingers need to be at hash marks of face off dot in the defensive zone with their butts touching the boards. Center low and moving to get a pass. Everyone move their feet.

I bet no one is low, no one is moving feet, and defense has to make passes that are way too long.

Also goalie make some friends and sub for other teams. See what they're like. Then again with a 17 game losing streak your reputation made precede you.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

I make myself available for other teams and have played with a few others. I've totally got areas of improvement, but every goal but one went in due to a guy standing at the back door uncontested.

I think I'll send out a group e-mail with some videos that show basic positioning. Granted we do have like 4 brand new players so I understand how confusion sets in.

I've got a positive reputation at the rink based on the improvement I've made the past season, but I'm not exactly getting any invites to sub C league games either. I've spoken with other goalies and they all tell me to just move up a division next season where there is actual defense. There were even a couple games last season where my team had a C League goalie sub in for me and they STILL lost 8-0 and 4-0.

I like the guys I skate with, I just want to try and make us better so that we can pick up a few wins.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

If I got that video from a goalie I'd probably be frustrated as poo poo, but we don't consistently lose like that so it would be weird. And our goalies are either autistic or stoners.

I would talk to whoever on the team appears to have a brain and make it a group effort. So one player isn't calling everyone else out. Someone else has to be trying to do or say what you're doing. I doubt you've amassed 13+ people who are getting their asses kicked for 17 games in a row.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Vargatron posted:

I make myself available for other teams and have played with a few others. I've totally got areas of improvement, but every goal but one went in due to a guy standing at the back door uncontested.

Yeah that's people not playing their position. The weakside defense absolutely has to be covering your back door and you should be going Shouty McShoutface in their grill if it's happening multiple times a game. Depending on the play you may want the center helping out there too, but you got three guys who's job is to help low and there's no excuse to have an undefended slot.

The specifics of that coverage are open to personal preference, some people like burning all their energy trying to shove the opponent away from the crease, others prefer to wait and tie up the stick. But either way that guy can't chill out there uncontested.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

xzzy posted:

you should be going Shouty McShoutface in their grill if it's happening multiple times a game.

Try me

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Goalies losing their poo poo is completely acceptable. :colbert:

Players think they're all crazy anyways, might as well use that for something.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

I'd honestly be in favor of just doing man to man coverage if we can't handle zone play. Offense is also suspect. I don't think we averaged above 2 goals per game the entire season.

I think we can get it straightened out because we're already improving, but I want to try and bring some constructive suggestions without being super tryhard out there.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Vargatron posted:

I'd honestly be in favor of just doing man to man coverage if we can't handle zone play. Offense is also suspect. I don't think we averaged above 2 goals per game the entire season.

I think we can get it straightened out because we're already improving, but I want to try and bring some constructive suggestions without being super tryhard out there.

You're going to get beat in man coverage because you have worse players than these other teams. Guaranteed.

Suggestion is to get 1-2 positional players to approach the team with you.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

It's a snowball effect, if your team can't get out of the zone they won't have any energy to produce offense when they do manage to carry the puck out. So they dump it desperate for a line change and the opposition circles right back in.

What can help is putting your strongest skaters on defense, it won't help the scoring at all but it might improve the ability to take control of the puck in the defensive zone and give everyone else a chance to get their head on straight.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
Awesome, I joined a team and i've already been involved in a conversation about 9/11 being an inside job because apparently nobody wants to talk hockey.

Goddammit