Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Crindee
Nov 16, 2005

LOOK LIKE EMERIL

Arcsquad12 posted:

Well knowing that would have saved me from three hours of failed mod testing followed by a clean install. God dammit that mod list took forever to tweak

I've been fooling around with mods for a little bit now, testing things out and modifying stuff when something isn't quite how I want it to be. I just now looked at the "created on" date on the first mod I downloaded and it turns out that was in early August.

But I'm like this close to actually playing the game I swear.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

I've been running into a problem with my explosives - sometimes enemies just don't seem to get phased by my missiles or grenades. What's causing all this and how do I fix it?

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

double nine posted:

I've been running into a problem with my explosives - sometimes enemies just don't seem to get phased by my missiles or grenades. What's causing all this and how do I fix it?
That can be two things in my experience. The first is that the game tries to make enemies that are behind cover, not be affected by the explosive's splash damage. The problem though is that - probably due to collision meshes often not following object's visual shape - the game can treat a fence or a tiny pebble as adequate cover. Not much you can do about this. But here are some mods that improve object's collision meshes. It can be worth testing if those improves things.

The other is a rare glitch where a non-NPC creature can spawn with a certain flag that causes it to be completely immune to explosive damage. There's a mod called Explosives Immunity Fix you can try to solve that.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Raygereio posted:

That can be two things in my experience. The first is that the game tries to make enemies that are behind cover, not be affected by the explosive's splash damage. The problem though is that - probably due to collision meshes often not following object's visual shape - the game can treat a fence or a tiny pebble as adequate cover. Not much you can do about this. But here are some mods that improve object's collision meshes. It can be worth testing if those improves things.

The other is a rare glitch where a non-NPC creature can spawn with a certain flag that causes it to be completely immune to explosive damage. There's a mod called Explosives Immunity Fix you can try to solve that.

Let me put it this way. I launched a low-yield mini-nuke on two coyotes. They were unfazed. I launched multiple rockets at an adult deathclaw. It didn't care.

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012
If they're not affected by direct hits with explosives or multiple explosives in a row, it's definitely this.

Raygereio posted:

Raygereio fucked around with this message at 18:50 on Sep 19, 2016

Corsec
Apr 17, 2007
How can I tell in FNVEdit whether a cell and it's containers is set to respawn or not? What entries and flags do I need to identify? I'm asking because I want to know how I can tell if mod-added locations are good or not for making a homebase.

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

Corsec posted:

How can I tell in FNVEdit whether a cell and it's containers is set to respawn or not? What entries and flags do I need to identify? I'm asking because I want to know how I can tell if mod-added locations are good or not for making a homebase.
The containers' baseforms must not have the Respawns flag.
I'm not completely sure how the respawning of the cell itself is handled. I think it must not have an Encounter Zone assigned to it.

ohhyeah
Mar 24, 2016
I'm in the middle of Honest Hearts and I'm having a terrible time with all of the creatures. It's an endless stream of giant cazadores, giant geckos, and giant yao guai running straight at me from across the map.

Can anyone recommend something to tone it down a bit? The number of fast, poisonous creatures is stupid and exhausting.

Seashell Salesman
Aug 4, 2005

Holy wow! That "Literally A Person" sure is a cool and good poster. He's smart and witty and he smells like a pure mountain stream. I posted in his thread and I got a FANCY NEW AVATAR!!!!

ohhyeah posted:

I'm in the middle of Honest Hearts and I'm having a terrible time with all of the creatures. It's an endless stream of giant cazadores, giant geckos, and giant yao guai running straight at me from across the map.

Can anyone recommend something to tone it down a bit? The number of fast, poisonous creatures is stupid and exhausting.

Do Dead Money first and murder all of them with the holo-rifle.

Mmmmm just thinking about the holo-rifle is giving me the itch to reinstall.

Nomadic Scholar
Feb 6, 2013

The holorifle will cure what ails ya, and you can slam MC cells into it and never have problems again. On the note of dlc weapons, are there any mods that improve upon gods chosen gun, the nail gun?

Corsec
Apr 17, 2007
Realistic Weapons Damages - Unofficial Update will magnify damage taken by DLC creatures, especially from headshots. It makes for a much more fast paced combat and you should often be able to bring down creatures before they get close...but when they get close you're even more screwed. Original mod is recommended to accompany it, both esps can be merged together safely.

Alternatively you could try BLEED for a similar effect but it makes poisons deadlier as well.

Samopsa
Nov 9, 2009

Krijgt geen speciaal kerstdiner!
You can also pick up the signature weapon mod, it's specifically meant to make almost every gun end game material by leveling it up alongside you.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

ohhyeah posted:

It won't help you this time, but HH is much more manageable at low levels. The weapons you get there mostly have low requirements as well.

Nomadic Scholar
Feb 6, 2013

Samopsa posted:

You can also pick up the signature weapon mod, it's specifically meant to make almost every gun end game material by leveling it up alongside you.

I'm gonna need to pick this up next time I play nv on PC, this sounds amazing.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Nomadic Scholar posted:

I'm gonna need to pick this up next time I play nv on PC, this sounds amazing.

Signature Weapon/Armor are more than a little OP if you use them for even just somewhat decent weapons/armors.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Seashell Salesman posted:

Do Dead Money first and murder all of them with the holo-rifle.

Mmmmm just thinking about the holo-rifle is giving me the itch to reinstall.

I hated the holorifle's projectile. I ended up turning it into a 'holographic' bullet.

Ashsaber
Oct 24, 2010

Deploying Swordbreakers!
College Slice

Paracelsus posted:

Signature Weapon/Armor are more than a little OP if you use them for even just somewhat decent weapons/armors.

Just a little. By the end of my run where I chose Holorifle/Stealthsuit mk 2 as my signature items I was able to fire off seven rounds in VATS with 95% hit chance at extreme range that did nearly 4000 damage per headshot.

Seashell Salesman
Aug 4, 2005

Holy wow! That "Literally A Person" sure is a cool and good poster. He's smart and witty and he smells like a pure mountain stream. I posted in his thread and I got a FANCY NEW AVATAR!!!!

The Lone Badger posted:

I hated the holorifle's projectile. I ended up turning it into a 'holographic' bullet.

You mean you don't like the little death cubes?

ohhyeah
Mar 24, 2016
I ended up turning down the difficulty and just powering through. I was never a big fan of HH compared to the other DLC in the first place. Looking back I went into it only at level 9, so I don't know what happened to give me all the insane creatures.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Paracelsus posted:

It was fun going through the game with a 6 shooter and the cocktail dress from Dead Money though. I used a couple other mods to wear the space helmet and a cowboy hat at the same time too.

Proletarian Mango
May 21, 2011

Is anybody still able to play the game after the Windows 10 Anniversary update? I'm getting consistent CTD any time I try to load or start a game, and this is after completely nuking my install and starting wholly vanilla. Apparently it's got something to do with AMD and NVidia graphic drivers breaking some kind of GPU check within the engine. Supposedly rolling Nvidia drivers back to version 368.81 will fix it, but as I just discovered, you can't install those older drivers if you have the Anniversary update installed because they're not compatible with that version of Windows, despite only being like 2 months old! :suicide:

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Upmarket Mango posted:

Is anybody still able to play the game after the Windows 10 Anniversary update? I'm getting consistent CTD any time I try to load or start a game, and this is after completely nuking my install and starting wholly vanilla. Apparently it's got something to do with AMD and NVidia graphic drivers breaking some kind of GPU check within the engine. Supposedly rolling Nvidia drivers back to version 368.81 will fix it, but as I just discovered, you can't install those older drivers if you have the Anniversary update installed because they're not compatible with that version of Windows, despite only being like 2 months old! :suicide:

I'm just going to quote myself in the Steam thread if that's okay.

Mr. Fortitude posted:

Yeah, it happens with the newest Nvidia and ATI drivers if you're on the Windows 10 Anniversary Update.

http://steamcommunity.com/app/22380/discussions/0/343786745995848552/

Try this and see if it works for you, it did for me. If you want to use ENB with it, just enable proxy libraries in your enblocal.ini and then rename the d3d9.dll from the fix listed to other_d3d9.dll. It should fix it.

Apparently it's a silly little problem due to a specification change that came with the Windows 10 Anniversary update. The display driver now outputs a different string than earlier drivers but Bethesda games were developed with the assumption that value would never change and that's what causes it to crash.

So try that and see if it works out for you, it did for me. It'll basically spoof the game into thinking you've got a completely different GPU and drivers but will otherwise work fine.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

oh dang is that it? I can get to the title screen but get CTDs when a save is loaded.

Proletarian Mango
May 21, 2011

Mr. Fortitude posted:

I'm just going to quote myself in the Steam thread if that's okay.

So try that and see if it works out for you, it did for me. It'll basically spoof the game into thinking you've got a completely different GPU and drivers but will otherwise work fine.

That just caused a purple screen and a CTD before the game even got to the main menu.

I was reading on the official support forums for New Vegas that this was supposedly fixed on Nvidia's end with the latest driver update, but with the issue still persisting, it means that it's something on Bethesda's end with how the game is programmed. Fallout 3 and Oblivion are suffering from the same issue.

Some engineer or something with Nvidia posted this on their forums:

quote:

The new Windows 10 Anniversary Update had a specification change that required our display driver to output a different string from the previous drivers in the past. This has affected some games which were unfortunately developed with the assumption that the value would never change. We are working with Microsoft to find a solution.

Also,

quote:

Drivers 368.81 and below are WDDM 2.0. R370 and higher drivers are WDDM 2.1.

So if you can roll back drivers, do that. If you can't like me, then I guess you're SOL too. Unless there's some way of removing the Anniversary Update from Windows 10.

EDIT:

I have had success in launching the game using this specific d3d9.dll fix...

http://www.nexusmods.com/newvegas/mods/34778/tab=2&navtag=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.nexusmods.com%2Fnewvegas%2Fajax%2Fmodfiles%2F%3Fid%3D34778&pUp=1

Proletarian Mango fucked around with this message at 22:06 on Oct 2, 2016

nexus6
Sep 2, 2011

If only you could see what I've seen with your eyes
I've used Mod Organizer in the past for Skyrim and I wanted to use it for FNV. I read that you have to use a separate installation of MO to do that (you can't just pick a different game) which I have done but I can't get it to recognise .nxm links despite clicking the Associate button.

Is there something I've missed or should I just download everything manually instead?

Seashell Salesman
Aug 4, 2005

nexus6 posted:

I've used Mod Organizer in the past for Skyrim and I wanted to use it for FNV. I read that you have to use a separate installation of MO to do that (you can't just pick a different game) which I have done but I can't get it to recognise .nxm links despite clicking the Associate button.

Is there something I've missed or should I just download everything manually instead?

I'm a bit confused by this error prompt. From the title bar it looks like it's from MO, and it doesn't recognize the particular Bethesda game to associate the link with, but then it goes on to suggest you need to turn on handling of .nxm files, but how would you even get to this error prompt if that wasn't turned on? Are you sure that your FONV install is set up correctly with your MO install?

FronzelNeekburm
Jun 1, 2001

STOP, MORTTIME
The handler application gets triggered by the Nexus links, and then it routes you to the correct installation of MO.

First: Create a separate copy of MO for New Vegas. You can use the installer, or you can just unzip the stuff into a different folder.

You need to find the copy of MO your browser uses to handle the links (Skyrim), then click on nxmhandler.exe from that folder to see which games it is handling:

Right-click in the window if you need to add a new game, and point the link to the correct copy of MO. Any copy of nxmhandler.exe can be registered to handle the links, but whichever one you pick has to know about all the different MO folders.

nexus6
Sep 2, 2011

Thanks, I'll give that a try. I've already downloaded most of the mods I want to use manually for FOMM, is there any advantage to using MO over FOMM or vice versa?

FronzelNeekburm
Jun 1, 2001

STOP, MORTTIME

nexus6 posted:

Thanks, I'll give that a try. I've already downloaded most of the mods I want to use manually for FOMM, is there any advantage to using MO over FOMM or vice versa?

MO unpacks all those mods to their own individual folders, and then it does dark voodoo to trick the game into believing all of them are in your Data folder. So if when something gets all hosed up, you can just turn it off in Mod Organizer, and it's all gone. Or if one of them has to be installed before another, just drag them around in the list.

If you've already installed a bunch of stuff with FOMM, you're not really going to see a ton of benefit, since they're outside of MO's magical mod zone, so it'll basically be the same as FOMM. But if you start fresh and install everything through MO, you don't have to worry about "Oh no, I installed a texture mod and now everything is rainbows."

Also, it doesn't matter whether you install stuff you downloaded manually or use the Nexus download links. If they have the original filenames, it can probably do the usual automated checking for updates either way.

Pyromancer
Apr 29, 2011

This man must look upon the fire, smell of it, warm his hands by it, stare into its heart
What mod(s) to get if I want maximum new locations and quests at minimum :effort: of messing with compatibility(I have Project Nevada, EVE and WMX)? Are "A World Of Pain", "New Vegas Uncut", "New Vegas Restoration" good picks?

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

Uncut is pretty light as I recall. World of Pain adds an extensive number of new locations but there's a story that's bad and full of broken english and, iirc, it adds unbalanced weapons.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
The most up to date version of uncut is - https://github.com/Uncut/Uncut

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

Gyshall posted:

The most up to date version of uncut is - https://github.com/Uncut/Uncut

Do you know why it hasn't been uploaded to the nexus yet?

I assume it's because it's not ready for release yet, which would make me a bit hesitant about using it.

nexus6
Sep 2, 2011

I've been out of the modding game for a while and I've had to start from scratch. I'm using MO and I've tried to install NMC's texture pack but I think I'm doing something wrong because I'm sure only some of the textures are working.

That's the new saloon sign but the default road textures, right? Those should be different?

I've download the 3 parts of the large texture pack, installed them in order using the 'Merge' option when prompted and even tried extracting all three files and making a combined zip and installing that but it'd not working.

It's at the bottom of my MO order and I've disabled all other texture mods.

Am I missing something or just going crazy?

At this point I'm thinking of just restarting again with FOMM because that was fine last time I played

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
You don't mention archive invalidation, does MO have an option relating to that?

Kumaton
Mar 6, 2013

OWLBEARS, SON

2house2fly posted:

You don't mention archive invalidation, does MO have an option relating to that?

Mod Organizer has automatic Archive Invalidation but there are a few times where you have to toggle it. I'm not quite sure but whenever you open your profile manager there should be an option to toggle Automatic AI on and off. Turn it off, turn it back on, and it should be good.

Seashell Salesman
Aug 4, 2005

Playing through this again after finally deciding I'm not going to save FO4 with mods. Here are the current quality of life mods to make this ancient game playable (excluding the ones that are already in the OP):
JIP Improved Recipe Menu
JIP Companions Command and Control
FoV Slider
Quick Trade
Quickloot
Immersive Minigames (this one is less quality of life because of old crusty UI and more just because we have all done the lockpicking/hacking minigame a billion times by now)

Also the OP says that UIO supersedes OneHUD, but actually it's Unified HUD that it supersedes. OneHUD is still very much useful if you are using UIO as it contains a bunch of modified and customizable HUD elements.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
God i love the quickloot mod, it's on my list of must-play-withs. Recipe interface mod looks neat too.

nexus6
Sep 2, 2011

Kumaton posted:

Mod Organizer has automatic Archive Invalidation but there are a few times where you have to toggle it. I'm not quite sure but whenever you open your profile manager there should be an option to toggle Automatic AI on and off. Turn it off, turn it back on, and it should be good.

That did the trick. For some reason it was turned off so I turned it on and it's all working as expected

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

"Nothing a shitload of bleach won't fix"

I was going to try and get into this because of a current LP, and I must be messing up the mods somehow. I just wanted to add perkeverylevel, do I need an organizer of some sort?