Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
NinjaDebugger
Apr 22, 2008

I agree, at first it was kind of a pain, but once you get your strat down and optimize, it's not so bad. This is pretty optimal as far as exploration events go, I think. I'm sitting on 160 cavern ore already, so I might actually be able to make four of these swords, it'll just take... actually, not all that long, as long as I can keep the wood flowing. I already have most of the ore needed, I think.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pokemaster #421
Jul 14, 2005

For a swift one at the wrist, down on the old main drag.
Joined the Kefka club today so this banner wasn't a total loss. Now I can rock a Leo cheese Bartz or tellah depending on my mood and Kefka so not too shabby. Just wish I could've invested more in the MOG cake thing but oh well

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Of course, everything going right this month makes me dread how much Gumi is going to overcompensate on the "make life okay for the F2Pers" button. We've had two events in a row that, while a little grindy? Were generally lucrative and not eyegougingly obnoxious like the demon hearts were. We had monthly bonuses that actually incentivized logging in daily. The banners were solid, even if the Crystal Defenders banner was pretty meh in the grand scheme, it at least had some appeal.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

i have been busy and probably wont do this event, who would be a better friend unit for it locke cod kefka exdeath or lenna

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

rabidsquid posted:

i have been busy and probably wont do this event, who would be a better friend unit for it locke cod kefka exdeath or lenna

If they're max-leveled/geared up well? Probably Kefka. Exdeath is a good choice, too, but as stated above, Hyperdrive doesn't make the amoebium or whatever it's called use Osmose like black magic does. Either way, the other two bosses on PRO level are built like brick walls so magic is preferable over even barrage-spam.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

they're all max leveled! kefka hasnt been my friend unit in awhile though so that's fun

Go RV!
Jun 19, 2008

Uglier on the inside.

rabidsquid posted:

All other things being equal, Kefka yeah

Just fyi though as long as you can run this short exploration like 6-7 times you'll get the 80 Ore you need for the weapon. Everything else can be done on your time

McSpankWich
Aug 31, 2005

Plum Island Animal Disease Research Center. Sounds charming.
This event really makes me wish I had a full breaker so I didn't have to keep taking WoL/Vaan, and could instead take one of the 80 super Kefkas or Cheezers on my list :(

Edit: For all those curious about ore/lumber drop rates. Some reddit nerd made a spreadsheet:

https://www.reddit.com/r/FFBraveExvius/comments/53d9wc/lumber_and_copper_ore_loot_data/

tl;dr - Lands of Plenty: BGN is the best, and once that closes, Earth Shrine.

McSpankWich fucked around with this message at 01:47 on Sep 19, 2016

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

22 cavern ore on my last run of the night. :psyduck:

WebDO
Sep 25, 2009

Cartoon Man posted:

Yet even with my A team and a good loaner I can't beat the map :negative:

Go RV!
Jun 19, 2008

Uglier on the inside.

WebDO posted:

Yet even with my A team and a good loaner I can't beat the map :negative:

Escape all trash battles.

My strat with Vaan/Bartz/Lenna/Artemios/Kefka x2

Amoeba:
Full break, Cheer
Barrage/Hyperdrive/Auto the rest of the way.
Heal if necessary
(Only use Hyperdrive twice, save some for the next round.)

Gigas/Ogre:
Vaan: Full Break every turn (except Focus on the second turn)
Lenna: Cheer, then Cura(ja as necessary)
Else: Hyperdrive/Barrage until dead

You really do need a full breaker, and Cheer/Focus help a lot. Use a tent between Gigas and Ogre.

Cry Havoc
May 10, 2004

This cyberpunk cartoon avatar is pretty dang ol' good, I tell you what.

Cartoon Man posted:

yeah got one of these earlier too

thinking i'll get enough ore for two swords and stop

rest of the mats is what will take a while to farm up

edit: i've switched wol to leader in case it helps anyone, 446 079 826

Cry Havoc fucked around with this message at 02:52 on Sep 19, 2016

Fenrir
Apr 26, 2005

I found my kendo stick, bitch!

Lipstick Apathy
Hmm.

Kinda debating if I want to farm for a third, or switch to doing the lower level one for buttloads of lumber.

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

I put my 295 MAG Kefka as my Leader. I'm surprised that with nearly same gear/esper my Exdeath was 309, but Kefka with that stuff and a robe/hat that gives MAG he only goes to 295. I also thought Kefka had higher innate MAG than Exdeath.

How do you take more than one tent with you? As far as I can tell, I can only take one and I can't put any more into any other item slots.

Fenrir
Apr 26, 2005

Lipstick Apathy
You can only take one tent. Bring Turbo Ethers, you can buy them at Felicitas town.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

i just stacked a bunch of mag+10% on my kefka but he's only at 309 because i didnt wanna deal with the gravity rod nonsense and dont grind tms

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story

Heroic Yoshimitsu posted:

I also thought Kefka had higher innate MAG than Exdeath.

I assumed (and I guess this proves) that Exdeath''s base magic score was probably slightly higher than the rest of the mage characters to make up for the fact he can't equip mage hats/robes. Golbez seems to be more of a hybrid character than Exdeath though despite being in the same situation, so his magic isn't as high. Even with having 4 Magic +10%, two Hero Rings and a Fire Rod/Stellar Shield, my Golbez is only at 236 magic with a level 26 or so Shiva. I'm probably going to switch him out for Tellah.

I figure I'll get enough Cavern Ore for 2 swords, and I'll probably stop there. My only Barrage user can't equip swords, so one for Leo and one for Zidane (so CoD can have the Lunar Pestle permanently) seems like it'll be good enough.

Unless of course I pull a WoL on this banner, yeah right.

jaclynhyde
May 28, 2013

Lipstick Apathy

Go RV! posted:

You really do need a full breaker, and Cheer/Focus help a lot. Use a tent between Gigas and Ogre.

It's a pain in the rear end, but you can get by without a full breaker or many offensive mages with CoD and/or Artemios and their Killer abilities. With Lenna/Tellah/Artemiosx2/CoD, my strategy's pretty much the same besides Full Break; I just save my friend Kefka's magic for Hill Gigas, and I don't have to refill anyone's magic besides the tent before Ogre.

e: At least I don't have to grind multiples because no one can actually use swords

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy

Twelve by Pies posted:

I assumed (and I guess this proves) that Exdeath''s base magic score was probably slightly higher than the rest of the mage characters to make up for the fact he can't equip mage hats/robes. Golbez seems to be more of a hybrid character than Exdeath though despite being in the same situation, so his magic isn't as high. Even with having 4 Magic +10%, two Hero Rings and a Fire Rod/Stellar Shield, my Golbez is only at 236 magic with a level 26 or so Shiva. I'm probably going to switch him out for Tellah.

I figure I'll get enough Cavern Ore for 2 swords, and I'll probably stop there. My only Barrage user can't equip swords, so one for Leo and one for Zidane (so CoD can have the Lunar Pestle permanently) seems like it'll be good enough.

Unless of course I pull a WoL on this banner, yeah right.

Think about the future, though. You pull a neat character, and then have to stick a Buster Sword on him or her because you didn't get enough Cavern Ores, which isn't as hard as I thought it was gonna be.

Shining Splenda or Buster Sword? The choice is yours...

Shoenin
May 29, 2013

Everynight I wake up Screaming.
(and beating the dragon)
So we gotta make a bunch of fine blades to make a bunch of superior blades to make a super good sword right?

They are also still craftable even after this event right?

Shoenin fucked around with this message at 05:51 on Sep 19, 2016

Voodoo
Jun 3, 2003

m2sbr what
Clearing Pro with Firion, Hayate, Leo, Lenna, and Kefka with a full break friend. Hayate is my best DPS until my new CoD gets up to speed. Tossing Escape on him really speeds up the run. Usually end up using a Tuber Ether after Amoeba, and a Tent after the Hill Giant.

Should be able to get enough Ore for a sword tomorrow, and I have all the other ore, but holy god do I need Lumber.

Voodoo fucked around with this message at 05:34 on Sep 19, 2016

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy

Shoenin posted:

So we gotta make a bunch of fine blades to make a bunch of superior blades to make a super good sword right?

They are also still craftable even after this event right?

Yes. The only thing you should worry about right is is how many multiples of 80 you have for Cavern Ore, as that is the only limited time factor here, outside of the recipes themselves.

Voodoo posted:

Clearing Pro with Firion, Hayate, Leo, Lenna, and Kefka with a full break friend. Hayate is my best DPS until my new CoD gets up to speed. Tossing Escape on him really speeds up the run. Usually end up using a Tuber Ether after Amoeba, and a Tent after the Hill Giant.

Should be able to get enough Ore for a sword tomorrow, and I have all the other ore, but holy god do I need Lumber.

I've got a maxed 4-star CoDfish that I just can't take the time to farm Sacred Crystals for right now. Kind of infuriating. Team is Artemis/WoL/Firion/Kefka/Fina/Friend Unit With Barrage. Doin' good. Will have at least three or four swords' worth of Cavern Ore by the end of this.

Shoenin
May 29, 2013

Everynight I wake up Screaming.
(and beating the dragon)
So im able to clear the pro event with my team of Firion, Celes, CallofDuty, Lenna, and Rydia. Rydia and CoD did most the work and Firion kinda just ate hits while looking amano pretty. Giant is the big issue, Blob is a stupid waste of time and gigas is lame.
Will switch out Firion for Art, since Mankiller does pretty good damage it seems.

doomknight66
Jan 25, 2012

Courage is the magic that turns dreams into reality
Got enough ore for my first splendor, my group of Terra/Exdeath/Lenna/Vaan/Tellah/someone else flinging FIraga's works really well for this.

random battles are a bit of a pain though, and I wonder if its doable to get enough ore for 4 of these swords since the ore numbers seem pretty generous.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
I think I found my optimal team for this poo poo too. Tellah/Krile/Vaan/Lenna/CoD and a magic-using friend unit. Lead with Cheer/Full Break, second turn Vaan uses Focus - this goes for all bosses. Ameoba is CoD spamming Barrage while everyone attacks physically, if damaged I can sacrifice MP on three of my units for a decent healing amount. The two giants it's just -Ga spam while Vaan Full Breaks a lot.

edit: also I put up Vaan for the event in case one of my goon friends is lacking a Full Break unit. I can do Tellah (251 MAG, still level 70), CoD (276 ATK) and Lenna too, if you guys would rather have one of them.

Dias fucked around with this message at 08:27 on Sep 19, 2016

Vax
Dec 29, 2011

delicious!
CoD, Vaan, Lenna, Kefka, Kefka, Kefka

Works best for me. Escape, leech LB before every boss. Tent before Ogre.

Just Hyperdrivin' to victory!

Someone should shop a Kefka Hyperdrive deal with it meta image really

NinjaDebugger
Apr 22, 2008

I've been having a lot of success now with Celes/Lenna/CoD/WoL/Kefka/Kefka. Amoebazoa's on the cheer/focus + barrage/fb/hyperdrive plan, and goes down in 3ish rounds. Hill gigas and (tent) Ogre go down to chained blizzagas while lenna heals and the physicals do their punchy thing. It seems more effective for me overall than the hyperdrive all the way plan was.

Basically there are a bunch of ways to handle this, and a friend who thought he couldn't do it after the first couple attempts is now most of the way to his first eighty on the back of borrowed full breakers. So don't everybody swap over to Kefka, there's people out there who need our hella sweet full breaks.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

I think I only have the patience for two swords. I could easily get enough cavern ore for four or five swords, but there's no way in hell im grinding up the copper and lumber for that.

Vax
Dec 29, 2011

delicious!
Yeah I'm now at 160 ore and am quitting I guess. Having 2 of those is solid enough, even with all the content and units getting released in the next couple of weeks.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Cartoon Man posted:

I think I only have the patience for two swords. I could easily get enough cavern ore for four or five swords, but there's no way in hell im grinding up the copper and lumber for that.

Even two seems preposterous to me with my team build; thanks to doublecloud-cheez, I hardly have room for two sword users on my A-team, and the Enhancer is stronger (albeit without a blind proc). A second would be okay if I somehow rolled a Bartz or Lightning or something, but as it stands grinding up a second sword seems like a bunch of work for not much gain.

Dana Crysalis
Jun 27, 2007
the title-less
ONE of you Kefkas has a 2* Ramuh that does not know Osmose. This is driving me insane every time I pull him and don't realize it.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Dana Crysalis posted:

ONE of you Kefkas has a 2* Ramuh that does not know Osmose. This is driving me insane every time I pull him and don't realize it.

Mine's still 1* since I can't grind megacite fast enough. (plus I put Siren on Kefka, o o p s. That problem, at least, has been rectified.)

Fenrir
Apr 26, 2005

Lipstick Apathy
I've got Leo, Bartz and WoL fighting over Enhancer and the Lunar Pestle, so I definitely want two of them. I'm still debating a third, but I've got a few days to figure out if I want to do more of that cave.

Eventually two Rising Suns and two Gungnirs will make this moot, but that's still a long time coming and I can use that trust grind team to farm the lumber.

Dana Crysalis
Jun 27, 2007
the title-less

Fenrir posted:

I've got Leo, Bartz and WoL fighting over Enhancer and the Lunar Pestle, so I definitely want two of them. I'm still debating a third, but I've got a few days to figure out if I want to do more of that cave.

Eventually two Rising Suns and two Gungnirs will make this moot, but that's still a long time coming and I can use that trust grind team to farm the lumber.

Honestly the cave is really easy with a proper setup. I can do it itemless with any friend Kefka. Granted, I am using, er, Ultima.

Terra, Chizuru, Vaan, Kefka, Lenna, (Kefka)

Amoeba: go in with full LBs, full break, everyone but Lenna uses LB, then just physical attacks to recharge LBs, Lenna using Benediction if needed to heal (Cura would trigger Osmose)
Hill Gigas: Terra attacks (Enhancer), Chizuru uses Barrage, Vaan uses Full Break, Kefkas use Hyperdrive, Lenna heals as appropriate. One Kefka osmoses near the end of the battle to recover 75 MP.
Ogre: Lenna uses Cheer, Terra uses Ultima, low MP Kefka uses Osmose then they both Hypderdrive, Chizuru Barrages, Vaan Full Breaks. He falls in 3-4 rounds.

No need for a tent, even if the other Kefka FOR SOME REASON doesn't have Osmose, it just means I take a little longer having my kefka do all the last hyperdrive damage.

Now that I have 240 Cavern Ore, time to contemplate lumber/copper farming.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Dana Crysalis posted:

Hill Gigas: Terra attacks (Enhancer), Chizuru uses Barrage, Vaan uses Full Break, Kefkas use Hyperdrive, Lenna heals as appropriate. One Kefka osmoses near the end of the battle to recover 75 MP.
Ogre: Lenna uses Cheer, Terra uses Ultima, low MP Kefka uses Osmose then they both Hypderdrive, Chizuru Barrages, Vaan Full Breaks. He falls in 3-4 rounds.

Has someone run the numbers for that? It feels like the bonus damage from element chaining wouldmake paired -agas better than two Hyperdrives. I could be mistaken, though.

Grimalkin
Oct 2, 2008
Fenrir, your cheese just handed me intangir in one turn and then proceeded to barrage a dead horse. :stare:

Edit: just this morning I got my Wol to 80 so I may make him my friend unit. I don't have the gear to make my Kefka's magic stat competitive, so it would probably be more useful.

Grimalkin fucked around with this message at 15:02 on Sep 19, 2016

kalensc
Sep 10, 2003

Only Trust Your Respirator, kupo!
Art/Quote by: Rubby
What do you all do with your duplicates of the less-useful rare characters? Combine them unless their TM is great?

Luna x3 (I assume I should keep multiple for Barrage TM grinds?)
Bedile x2 (Decent Thundaga Blade TM?)
Cyan x2 (Decent physical attacker, but outclassed)
Shadow x3
Penelo x2

Also do you spend Lapis to expand your character slot space?

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006
i am new and bad at this.

what should I prioritize getting done first. got kefka and terra on-hand which is convenient, anything else I should be looking for and looking for hard?

Cry Havoc
May 10, 2004

This cyberpunk cartoon avatar is pretty dang ol' good, I tell you what.

kalensc posted:

What do you all do with your duplicates of the less-useful rare characters? Combine them unless their TM is great?

Luna x3 (I assume I should keep multiple for Barrage TM grinds?)
Bedile x2 (Decent Thundaga Blade TM?)
Cyan x2 (Decent physical attacker, but outclassed)
Shadow x3
Penelo x2

Also do you spend Lapis to expand your character slot space?

farm lunas

combine the rest

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EzEight
Jan 21, 2014
Not sure if it was mentioned in the past pages but turns out if you don't use magic the Amoeboid doesn't use leech so just beat him to death slowly.

Yeah in these games aside from gambling to get more copies of Bedile the best use is to buy slots or any other quality of life upgrades.

• Locked thread