Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MustardFacial
Jun 20, 2011
George Russel's
Official Something Awful Account
Lifelong Tory Voter

Geirskogul posted:

Yeah, heating up the metal past its curie point will make it non-magnetic. I would have done it in two steps, though. Heat and then a reduction to room temperature, giving you a glass-brittle screwdriver. Then a second heat, and a quench in either oil or water. The point at which you stop heating it, and how you quench it, determines the final hardness.

Mind if I ask why? And is it too late to do this?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

I thought air-cooling critical steel resulted in a softer, more malleable state while quenching gets it cock stiff (water moreso because it boils and also conducts heat better and cools the metal speedy fast, oil being better for tools because of the carbon thing but also because it cools slightly slower and thus makes it less brittle).

I'm probably wrong though.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Everything I know about blacksmithing, I learned from four youtube channels in particular (more than that otherwise, but 99% from these):

Clickspring, where a dude uses a tiny metalworking/milling shop to build an amazing clock. Note: the latest video where it is set in motion is the second-best release in my life, the first being when I lost my virginity.

AWE me: most of the channel is garbage, but Man at Arms: Reforged is one of the slickest-cut blacksmithing subchannels on youtube. They go through, especially recently, with the process of blacksmithing.

AvE. Arduino vs Evil: a canadian mining engineer (I think he has a PhD or equivalent, too!) that does a myriad of things, but most of them all involving metalworking. He's a daggum skookum choocher!

Jimmy DiResta: a New Yorker that gives me reason to wake up in the morning, which is something I thought I'd never say. A truer jack of all trades and master-of-a-few has never been seen.

From what I gather (I've never done anything above basic "make a knife out of an old wood mill sawblade), this is what happens:

Metal is a structure of crystals.

Heating up the metal "dissolves" the crystal boundaries.

Having it cool using air, or slowly in a kiln as the temperature is dropped, lets the metal form long, long crystal chains. These make an extremely hard, but extremely brittle, material.

Interrupting this process with a quench, either water or oil, stops the long crystal formation, but not so abruptly, so you end up with a material with medium crystal chains of varying length. Longer chains = brittle, but super hard, like treated files. Shorter chains = ductile and less shatter-y, but softer.

A lot of processes that are revered over the centuries, like traditional katana forming with a ductile metal in the core but a brittle but hard material at the edge, are all about humans learning about heat control and material melding.

So, what a lot of the "sword shows" do, is do an initial firing to get the metal super hot. Then they let it cool a bit naturally, sometimes in the cooling forge, and sometimes in air. Then they quench it at a certain temperature (dictated by the material's color or thickness or whatever), which halts the crystal formation process.

Sometimes, like in clickspring, he does this in two steps to maintain control (clickspring for a specific oxidation color, others for other reasons). A lot of the blacksmiths and swordmakers say they would also prefer to do it in two steps, but the cost and time of re-heating a material back up from room temperature is too much. But, since you're doing a screwdriver, I'd say to do it in two steps, because heating it takes a few seconds, not hours like in large projects.

After your first heating to red/white hot, and cool, drag a file across the screwdriver. It'll make a glassy "shhhing" sound, indicating the material is hard, but brittle. Heat it up a second time to almost the same temperature, then quench it in oil.

If you get the timing right, the file will bite into the screwdriver, but not too much. If it clearly drags and bites into the screwdriver, you quenched it too soon, before longer crystal chains formed. Go again (you can do this a nearly infinite number of times to practice), but let it cool a little bit before quenching.

Tommychu posted:

I thought air-cooling critical steel resulted in a softer, more malleable state while quenching gets it cock stiff (water moreso because it boils and also conducts heat better and cools the metal speedy fast, oil being better for tools because of the carbon thing but also because it cools slightly slower and thus makes it less brittle).

I'm probably wrong though.

Completely depends on how hot you got it, and when you quenched it, and what type of steel it is. I'm going with standard potmetal grade assumptions, here. Though I'm sure the blacksmithing thread posters will jump in anytime and prove me wrong in hilarious ways. The make-up of the steel affects everything. Since you don't know the makeup, you need to experiment. Just like with photography or working on carburetors, there's often no better way to find out how something will respond to your dickery other than just trying it out.

Queen_Combat fucked around with this message at 05:28 on Sep 20, 2016

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

In reality where the hell are you going to find a #2 Phillips head screw that can't be undone by a magnetic screwdriver that's going to be hard enough to break a dubiously heat treated screwdriver before it strips itself out?

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗
Doesn't really apply to anything, but.

I do a lot of ultrasonic testing of metals, and the way they change with heat is kind of amazing. The signals will jump drastically in a given piece of metal just based on how much it was heated, because the change in the crystalline structure of the material actually changes the acoustic velocity of it.

Nerdy as gently caress but I enjoy it. It also usually occurs right before I reject a braze.

redgubbinz
May 1, 2007

If we're venturing into *that* section of youtube, take a look at Applied Science. Fairly sure I saw this linked in AI before, but I could be wrong. Not much in the way of humor but he's got some fairly interesting projects and explanations. Not so much in the way of machining, more electronics and chemistry.

Intro to sputtering:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9OEz_e9C4KM

Plasma cleaning:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=atVSxvbiPg0

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
The first video I show anybody on YouTube is Applied Science's Cookie machine.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

leica posted:

Was fishing with my son (8yrs), and I was instructing him to reel in the fake shrimp slowly to mimic it's movement. He says to me "How slow? Like 90's internet slow?"

I just kinda stood there like wat :v:

Haha. Future stand-up comedian!

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Rhyno posted:

That sucks. How are things with your dad?

From bad to worse sadly. Got kicked out of the second aged care home within a month, currently at a psych ward trying to work out what therapy/medication to put him on. Got a meeting with the doctors tomorrow morning.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

I can't believe I have to hack the Gibson rename files in the task scheduler folder to get Win10 to accomplish the very simple goal of "DON'T loving RESTART WITHOUT MY PERMISSION"

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

It's rare to see a large Lego set more than a couple dollars off of list price:

https://www.amazon.com/LEGO-Technic-42054-XERION-Building/dp/B01CU9X8IY

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Oh man, that would go so well with my Unimog :homebrew:

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

MustardFacial posted:

As a last ditch effort, I found myself standing in line at the local Princess Auto holding a brand new, somewhat trusty Power Fist branded phillips along with a tool magnetizer/demagnetizer. Thinking I had accomplished my task I headed back to the car, ripping open the demagnetizer packaging on the way, and after following what little instructions there were I "pass tool throw center of rounded section". Great! Job Done! But just to be safe, I pulled out some spare screws from my pocket and touched them to the screwdriver. Three screws hung from the tip like mountain climbers hanging on to a cliff. Much to my shock and dismay, something I bought from Princess Auto didn't work. gently caress. Now what?
Son of a bitch, are you telling me the Princess Auto demagnetizer I got from AI:SS last year isn't going to work? drat you Canada:argh:

meatpimp posted:

It's rare to see a large Lego set more than a couple dollars off of list price:
https://www.amazon.com/LEGO-Technic-42054-XERION-Building/dp/B01CU9X8IY
Oh sure tempt me when I'm trying to save money so I can throw it at the project car

Killed my third tape adapter this year on the way to work this morning. Think it's either time to hard wire and auxiliary input where the CD player is or try one of those bluetooth FM tuners. How garbage are the tuners? Also thought about a bluetooth cassette adapter but they all have at best 6 hours of battery so I'd end up hard wiring a power plug somehow which leaves just as many wires as I have now. Don't want to change out the stereo and sound quality isn't super important because it's a 16 year old car with poo poo speakers.

Also anyone have book recommendations for suspension/steering design? I have a copy of Engineer to Win on the way. Already on the shelf are Competition Car Suspension: Design, Construction, Tuning and How to Build a Cheap Sports Car (lotus 7 knockoff).

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Bluetooth FM transmitters vary wildly in quality.

The best ones plug directly between the antenna lead and the radio, so you're just modulating a signal onto a cable, and don't have to transmit over the air, through the body of the car and to the outside antenna. And if Bluetooth isn't a requirement, you can get really inexpensive ones that just provide a couple of RCA inputs. One of those would be your best option for going via FM.

The ideal solution would be to hardwire a line-in to an unused function in your radio, or find an adapter for the CD-changer input, if your radio has that options. That's what I've done in my car, and the only drawback is that the radio display shows an infinitely playing CD1 that goes to 99:59 and wraps over to 00:00.

KozmoNaut fucked around with this message at 14:17 on Sep 20, 2016

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
GT350R hit a curb this past weekend.

$4000 per wheel :yum:

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Phone posted:

GT350R hit a curb this past weekend.

$4000 per wheel :yum:

List is $4k. Galpin has them for $3,090 front/$3,648 rear.

Timmy Cruise
Jun 9, 2007

Enourmo posted:

I can't believe I have to hack the Gibson rename files in the task scheduler folder to get Win10 to accomplish the very simple goal of "DON'T loving RESTART WITHOUT MY PERMISSION"

I had to find an old driver for the WiFi card so the Internet would work. ~Just Win10 things~

ExplodingSims
Aug 17, 2010

RAGDOLL
FLIPPIN IN A MOVIE
HOT DAMN
THINK I MADE A POOPIE

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

This is amazing. What's even more amazing is that for some reason when it first played it was slightly slower and the audio sounded all hosed up and 8-bit like an old nintendo game which only made it better.
What happens in the saddle, stays in the saddle.

Don't gently caress around with this. I lost a lot of foot skin to really strong muriatic acid SLOWLY over the course of several days because I was an idiot. It burned like fire for over a week and itched for months.
Miraculously, I still have a foot.

Yeah, that's basically what happened to me. A bottle of condenser cleaner fell over in my van, and when I opened the door it splashed all over me. I immediately went and hosed it off and eveything, but it had managed to soak into my shoes a bit. So like 20 mins later I'm like "HOLY poo poo MY FEET ARE ON FIRE :derp:" And that's when I decided this was a go to the hospital kinda thing.

epic bird guy
Dec 9, 2014

Re: Nair chat

I'm surprised no one brought up the infamous :nws:one wipe wonder:nws:

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

NitroSpazzz posted:

Killed my third tape adapter this year on the way to work this morning. Think it's either time to hard wire and auxiliary input where the CD player is or try one of those bluetooth FM tuners. How garbage are the tuners? Also thought about a bluetooth cassette adapter but they all have at best 6 hours of battery so I'd end up hard wiring a power plug somehow which leaves just as many wires as I have now. Don't want to change out the stereo and sound quality isn't super important because it's a 16 year old car with poo poo speakers.

I got two of these about four years ago and they have worked surprisingly well with our iPhones: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003PPGOC0/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1 I think that how well they work depends on how crowded your FM channels are in your area. I found a good frequency. They pair easily and accurately, you can actually use them as a handsfree device and talking to people on the phone say that the quality is decent enough. At $35 I figured I didn't have much to lose.

Yesterday's dinner was a total success in large part because of my wife. I like big butts and I cannot lie

Spent just over 12 hours on the smoker. We took some to two different friends who recently had new babies. My wife made home made rolls, green salad, baked potatoes and fresh cookies. I cooked some fresh green beans to go along. I am irrationally excited for my lunch today because the only thing better than fresh BBQ is day after BBQ.

Everyone should get a pellet smoker and smoke meats. It changes your life.

Siochain
May 24, 2005

"can they get rid of any humans who are fans of shitheads like Kanye West, 50 Cent, or any other piece of crap "artist" who thinks they're all that?

And also get rid of anyone who has posted retarded shit on the internet."

Somewhat Heroic posted:

Spent just over 12 hours on the smoker. We took some to two different friends who recently had new babies. My wife made home made rolls, green salad, baked potatoes and fresh cookies. I cooked some fresh green beans to go along. I am irrationally excited for my lunch today because the only thing better than fresh BBQ is day after BBQ.

Don't hate electric smokers :P Not ~quite~ as good but they go from "really easy" to "wtf this is impossible to gently caress up". Also really nice for 16-20 hour smokes - set and forget.
Also, your butt looks amazing.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

I have one of those little vertical charcoal smokers. A few weekends back I used it to smoke some ribs using lump charcoal from Costco. Turns out the lumps are huge, so I ended up never needing to add charcoal, it burned for something like 6 hours straight at about 250 degrees.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

Somewhat Heroic posted:

I got two of these about four years ago and they have worked surprisingly well with our iPhones: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003PPGOC0/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1 I think that how well they work depends on how crowded your FM channels are in your area. I found a good frequency. They pair easily and accurately, you can actually use them as a handsfree device and talking to people on the phone say that the quality is decent enough. At $35 I figured I didn't have much to lose.

Yesterday's dinner was a total success in large part because of my wife. I like big butts and I cannot lie

I've got a large barrel with an offset smoke box. I just let that roll until the shoulder is nice and smokey (so like 8-10 hours) then toss it in the dutch oven and let it melt to bits.
You can pull my pork with a spoon.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Siochain posted:

Don't hate electric smokers :P
If Lucas made one, would it work or not?

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

It would work, once.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Well it would let the smoke out, and I don't think that's how they work so no.

epic bird guy
Dec 9, 2014

Parts would also be NLA immediately after the original production run.

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

Today was a good day for minor savings. The gas station near my apartment put out some free club cards so I can now get 3 yen off every liter of gas!

Siochain
May 24, 2005

"can they get rid of any humans who are fans of shitheads like Kanye West, 50 Cent, or any other piece of crap "artist" who thinks they're all that?

And also get rid of anyone who has posted retarded shit on the internet."

InitialDave posted:

If Lucas made one, would it work or not?

Yes, but only for fish, and it would always come out a little dry.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

Man, it's been a long time since there's been a reported U-2 crash.

http://www.latimes.com/local/lanow/la-me-ln-u2-spy-plane-down-northern-california-20160920-snap-story.html

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

Holy poo poo. I randomly thought about Francis Gary Powers yesterday evening. Followed by Samuel Morse.
Am I psychic?

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

KozmoNaut posted:

The ideal solution would be to hardwire a line-in to an unused function in your radio, or find an adapter for the CD-changer input, if your radio has that options. That's what I've done in my car, and the only drawback is that the radio display shows an infinitely playing CD1 that goes to 99:59 and wraps over to 00:00.
Found a dongle that plugs into the back where the CD changer goes. Also picked one up for the girlfriends truck. We'll see if we can get them setup and working this weekend. Solid connection has to be better than bluetooth and/or FM.

Somewhat Heroic posted:

drat I wanna eat that rear end

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

NitroSpazzz posted:

Found a dongle that plugs into the back where the CD changer goes. Also picked one up for the girlfriends truck. We'll see if we can get them setup and working this weekend. Solid connection has to be better than bluetooth and/or FM.

drat I wanna eat that rear endshoulder

ftfy

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

NitroSpazzz posted:

Solid connection has to be better than bluetooth and/or FM.

Absolutely. A directly line-in is the best possible connection.

I've hardwired a cheap 12V MP3 player from DealExtreme (this one) where the ashtray used to be in my car. Works great with a 32GB micro-SD for literally weeks of music.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

You know it's a good guest lecturer when he says "no recording" as an ex defense contractor employee

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Enourmo posted:

You know it's a good guest lecturer when he says "no recording" as an ex defense contractor employee

Does that mean he's breaking an NDA somewhere or does it mean that he's teaching you guys something interesting

When I was in pharmacy school for some reason they had a DEA agent show us how to make meth using sudafed and I was like "uh why couldn't you just show us he reaction on paper dude"

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
Sigh just got scraped on my fender by an idiot who wasn't paying attention in traffic

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

some texas redneck posted:

I had a loaner 2010 Malibu when my car was in the shop for warranty work.

It was the base LS model, but was still a decent car. Impressive mileage for its size, and had a decent amount of power for a 2.4. It wasn't gonna win any handling prizes or interior design awards, but for a car approaching land barge size, it was a solid "good enough". I was kinda surprised to find out that the LS still got the 4 speed auto, while all other trims got a 6 speed auto, for the 2010 model, yet it still had 4 wheel disc and XM radio.

Having had a 200 rental, I would take the Malibu over the 200 any day. 200's interior is a little nicer when it's not falling apart (compared to a 2010 Malibu anyway), Malibu was better at not falling apart and getting out of its own way. I know the 2016 Malibu is a hell of an improvement over the 2010.

Yeah, the 2016 LS isn't going to set the world on fire either, but for all intents and purposes its a fine appliance car and I didn't hate it.

The "auto-stop" feature kind of freaked me out the first time it happened though. The engine just shutting off "just cause" took me by surprise, but worked quite well and very easy to over-ride if I wanted it to.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Tusen Takk posted:

Does that mean he's breaking an NDA somewhere or does it mean that he's teaching you guys something interesting

When I was in pharmacy school for some reason they had a DEA agent show us how to make meth using sudafed and I was like "uh why couldn't you just show us he reaction on paper dude"

No NDA violations; he did used to work for, we'll call them Large Missile corporation, but all the stuff he showed from back then is declassified.

The ~top secret~ stuff was actually for a patent he's applying for, for a new type of tennis racquet he designed. It was actually pretty cool, has a floating subframe within the head that holds the strings, absorbs a lot of the shock. He passed around a protoype, along with some construction jigs he designed. He showed a presentation he gave to the patent office last week, which contained design details (the sort you don't put in the actual filed patent), hence the hush-hush.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."
Welp, GBS disappeared. And nothing of value was lost.

• Locked thread