Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Phone posted:

They did a bunch of QOL improvements and the game is significantly better in the remake. :P

Is it still like five hours before you actually get to fight someone?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Nah, if you super rushed in the PS version, first battle was ~3 hours in, you can now reach the same point in ~1.5 hours. I mean, it's still a Dragon Quest game so lol @ ease of use stuff.

The Nintendo Quick Start Guide covers the first 15-20 hours of the game. :v:

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Powershift posted:

gaming in general is.

The top thing on steam last week was paid DLC for a early access game that's nowhere near done itself. These companies are whittling themselves down to a small consumer base willing to spend large amounts of money on trash. Even the last industry holdouts like rockstar are turning to whale hunting instead of complete experiences.

Console gaming has become a complete clusterfuck of anally violating the gamers with lovely paid DLC, fractured online experiences and half-finished games. Thing is though even though console gamers whine an obscene amount, they still lap it all up because most of them simply can't help themselves.

My housemate is the perfect example, he's bought GTAV 3 times now and pissed away lord knows how much money on DLC and in game money it's unreal. I mean it's not quite WoW level cash frittering but holy poo poo.

Anyway, The Crew handles like complete crap and the manual gearing system is a loving flick on the right stick WHICH YOU CANNOT CHANGE. Also crowbarring a story into a racing game just makes you wait longer to actually race which is so loving annoying. Who the gently caress needs a storyline to play a racing game? Let me pick a car, let me pick a race and let's go.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Phone posted:

The Nintendo Quick Start Guide covers the first 15-20 hours of the game. :v:

My memory is pretty fuzzy other than a few details but I'm certain that's not even up to the point where you unlock the class system.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

scuz posted:

I hate minecraft and "indie" makes me gag and I talk myself out of console purchases all the time because I don't need a console to play Overwatch.

Don't get me started on the consoles. 3 months after release, a game is $20 in stores, but somehow $79.99 digitally. or $20 with $85 worth of DLC that completes the game.

The witcher 3 and it's expansions were great, then you turn around and look at fallout 4, where it only really had 2 worthwhile DLCs, the last of which was priced at $35 canadian just to justify the $70 price tag on the season pass that was filled with "minecraft but with jankiness" bullshit filler.

wreckfest hasn't improved since 2014. and the damage modeling went to poo poo. in my mind the only bring spot in the near future for games i'm interested in is beam.ng and that really needs more of a game in the sandbox.

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org

Powershift posted:

Yeah, if you like "minecraft but with _______" or "i'm so indie i poo poo flannel"
In the past few weeks Ive played Killing Floor 2 (1 was PC only, game was such a hit they're making it for PS4 now too), BF1 (series started on pc, still lots of support), GTA:V (still lots of PC updates), and Rainbow Six Siege (usually in the top 20 most played games on steam) Plus all the other games that I don't play.

edit: I've also played this, which really isn't all that bad http://store.steampowered.com/app/514890/

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

88h88 posted:

Console gaming has become a complete clusterfuck of anally violating the gamers with lovely paid DLC, fractured online experiences and half-finished games. Thing is though even though console gamers whine an obscene amount, they still lap it all up because most of them simply can't help themselves.

My housemate is the perfect example, he's bought GTAV 3 times now and pissed away lord knows how much money on DLC and in game money it's unreal. I mean it's not quite WoW level cash frittering but holy poo poo.

Anyway, The Crew handles like complete crap and the manual gearing system is a loving flick on the right stick WHICH YOU CANNOT CHANGE. Also crowbarring a story into a racing game just makes you wait longer to actually race which is so loving annoying. Who the gently caress needs a storyline to play a racing game? Let me pick a car, let me pick a race and let's go.

I bought GTA V 3 times as well, but on top of delivering an absolutely massive single player game, you don't have to spend a dime(and i haven't) to access all the online DLC they've added.

On the other hand, having thousands of hours into the forza series, i'm not even bothering with anything with forza horizon. the forza series cash whoring has gotten so bad, the game can't be good enough to bother wading through the swamp for.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

1500quidporsche posted:

My memory is pretty fuzzy other than a few details but I'm certain that's not even up to the point where you unlock the class system.

The job system opens up like 10-20 hours sooner than the original. :v:

Powershift: what types of games do you like? I understand that you like Grand Theft Auto: The Fifth.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Phone posted:

The job system opens up like 10-20 hours sooner than the original. :v:

I had no clue they ever remade the game, I was like the only person who ever heard of it as a kid. I'd be lying if I said I wasn't mildly curious but holy gently caress I just remember the balance of the last fifth of the game just being horribly broken and it just being a grindfest to unlock the right classes.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
If you're curious, here's a short podcast (15 min) about it and the release: http://www.retronauts.com/?p=1471

The Royal Nonesuch
Nov 1, 2005

Cage posted:

In the past few weeks Ive played Killing Floor 2 (1 was PC only, game was such a hit they're making it for PS4 now too), BF1 (series started on pc, still lots of support), GTA:V (still lots of PC updates), and Rainbow Six Siege (usually in the top 20 most played games on steam) Plus all the other games that I don't play.

edit: I've also played this, which really isn't all that bad http://store.steampowered.com/app/514890/

R6: Siege is awesome, my buddy and I are playing multiple evenings a week.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

pro tip: if u play blizzard games you wont be sad

Overwatch and Hearthstone are both extremely good games though I have spent a shitload of money on hearthstone lol

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

Tusen Takk posted:

Overwatch and Hearthstone are both extremely good games though I have spent a shitload of money on hearthstone lol

WoW is where it's at.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

Tusen Takk posted:

pro tip: if u play blizzard games you are sad

Fixed for accuracy

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

meatpimp posted:

WoW is where it's at.

wow is also good but i burned out from it and my small animal brain likes the flashy shooty fast paced slaughted of OW more

also no subscription? no shame

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

In the past 6+ months I've played.. umm... maybe 15 battles in World of Tanks and.... yea, that's about it. Last time I really spent any time gaming was when Fallout 4 came out. Yet somehow I still keep my PC upgraded enough to be able to play the newest poo poo, which I never actually get. :shepspends:

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

ssjonizuka posted:

Also, hows the dodge in real life use?

Daily driving it is great. It isn't very fast but it makes a nice noise when you hit the go pedal. I have no regrets.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

Tusen Takk posted:

wow is also good but i burned out from it and my small animal brain likes the flashy shooty fast paced slaughted of OW more

also no subscription? no shame

WoW is f2p if you're not terrible.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

meatpimp posted:

WoW is f2p if you're not terrible.

yeah but that's a lot of grinding and raiding and i dont really want to deal with that

like at least in Eve online you can set it up so you only have to go get stuff once a week to sell then log out or not grind for your sub but blechhhhh

blk
Dec 19, 2009
When did AI start as a sub forum? I assume there was a car thread or something before that. I wonder what the most popular goon mobile was before the WRX came out.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

blk posted:

When did AI start as a sub forum? I assume there was a car thread or something before that. I wonder what the most popular goon mobile was before the WRX came out.

The WRX was out at the same time as the forums launched (actually didn't it come out in 1999? idr)

so what does ur heart tell u

blk
Dec 19, 2009

Tusen Takk posted:

The WRX was out at the same time as the forums launched (actually didn't it come out in 1999? idr)

2002 in the states I thought; the forums have been around since at least 98

ExplodingSims
Aug 17, 2010

RAGDOLL
FLIPPIN IN A MOVIE
HOT DAMN
THINK I MADE A POOPIE

The OSHA thread lives in DIY! :perfect:

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

As I was walking past the electronics scrap containers at work today, I noticed a couple of monitors that looked suspiciously non-broken. One was the same craptastic 19" 1280x1024 craptastic HP that everyone gets as their default monitor, and then immediately replace with something that's actually nice to look at. The other was a 19" widescreen Samsung TV. As I was pulling it out to give it a closer look, one of my colleagues, who was having a smoke, piped up that the monitors came from her office and that they worked just fine, as far as she knew. I asked her why they'd been thrown out, she said that the TV was an old model without HDMI input and that it didn't work right with the new model set top box they were testing, so they replaced it with a newer TV and had no more use for the old one.

I lugged it back to my desk to test it, and although the VGA input seems to be doing strange things (possibly a wonky cable), DVI works perfectly. I've ordered a cheap HDMI audio extractor so I can connect a Chromecast to the DVI input and still have sound. It's perfect for watching random Youtube videos while fiddling with electronics and warhams at my workbench.

Score another point for electronics dumpster diving! I just can abide by people throwing out perfectly functional non-broken things.

KozmoNaut fucked around with this message at 21:37 on Sep 21, 2016

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Tusen Takk posted:

As I remember 1999, my heart tells me Honda Civic hatchback

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

blk posted:

if you have archives, here's a "post your car" thread from 02 http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=292235

Same poo poo, different decade, really.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Tusen Takk posted:

edit: october 2002

OBAMNA PHONE fucked around with this message at 21:37 on Sep 21, 2016

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

the most common car seems to be either ford focuses, E30s or 240sxes.

The more things change, the more they stay the same.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Powershift posted:

if you have archives, here's a "post your car" thread from 02 http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=292235

Same poo poo, different decade, really.

Jesus, the "Hi I'm Douchefuck" at the start of every post gets real old real fast. Shame about the missing images too.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Ignoring dates, this thread could easily have been last week. http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=294219

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

KozmoNaut posted:

I just can't abide by people throwing out perfectly functional non-broken things.

I truly hate my workplace for this, we get rid of obscene amounts of kit both functional and brand loving new. It's bad enough we don't allow staff to grab an item or two but we don't even donate it to charities. We PAY a company to pick it up and then unless they're super dumb, they sell it on.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

88h88 posted:

I truly hate my workplace for this, we get rid of obscene amounts of kit both functional and brand loving new. It's bad enough we don't allow staff to grab an item or two but we don't even donate it to charities. We PAY a company to pick it up and then unless they're super dumb, they sell it on.

Officially we aren't allowed to pick from the dumpsters, but as long as you're not completely blatant about it, no one bats an eyelid.

One of my colleagues is a true master, he's rescued dozens of commercial-grade $4-500 drip coffee makers, usually all they need is a thorough descaling, since no one else seems to care enough to do it. He distributes them among sports clubs and various other groups with limited budgets.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

Tusen Takk posted:

The WRX is in fact 1992.

Tusen Takk posted:

No, you will just be a sad lifeless hobo. And just LOL if you identify as a gamer. Why the gently caress would you spend one more second in front of a screen that you have to when there's perfectly good cars to tear down and make better?

(The only game I can tolerate is Minecraft and I'll only have that open when I'm working on servers remotely. Otherwise gently caress games)

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

BraveUlysses posted:

edit: october 2002

The WRX was first sold in the US in fall 2001. I know this because I remember the first ads in detail and it occured when I lived in CA and work at a bike shop. They showed the ads in the summer and it looked so cool.
By fall 2002 I was in Minnesota and didn't have a TV, so it couldn't have been then.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
The cool thing about DLC is you don't have to buy it, unless the game is good, then you might want to buy it.

Games are super cheap and its awesome unless youre some saddo who needs everything on release day

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

nm posted:

The WRX was first sold in the US in fall 2001. I know this because I remember the first ads in detail and it occured when I lived in CA and work at a bike shop. They showed the ads in the summer and it looked so cool.
By fall 2002 I was in Minnesota and didn't have a TV, so it couldn't have been then.

whoops i goofed that up, i mean that was when AI was created

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

blk posted:

My understanding is that sometime before the current AI, there was an old version that existed and then was taken away for some reason. Car-loving-goons then went insane in GBS and crapped it up with car posts and they created the AI we have now to make GBS great again keep us in our ghetto.

Other great moments in AI history include Rizzunk going insane about RIMZZZZZZZZ, whoever spent a shitload of money on KNOW YOUR AI POSTERS banners, and Sigtrap's benevolent reign ending when he realized there are better things to do than policing car nerds. I have not attained such enlightenment yet :buddy:

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

fridge corn posted:

The cool thing about DLC is you don't have to buy it, unless the game is good, then you might want to buy it.

Games are super cheap and its awesome unless youre some saddo who needs everything on release day

It's annoying as poo poo in some games though. I downloaded wild run there, and while it's pretty cool, there are a whole bunch of map markers and poo poo for the wild run DLC, so you could try to go to something cool and it asks to bring you to a page to buy the DLC.

forza is worse, it just puts all the cars you don't have right in the list with the cars you do. if you don't buy the DLC, trying to buy a new car turns into a mine field.

also, the 2011 mustang in wild run has 4 lug hubs, immersion ruined, 2/10

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Games are good.

I'm playing Advanced Tactics Gold, which I got in a bundle with like 8 other games for some ridiculously low price, and sometimes it takes me an hour or more to figure out exactly what hexes I want to move my soldiers into, so that they can best fight the hated Germans. If that's not value for money, I don't know what is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

The WRX is in fact 1992.

No, you will just be a sad lifeless hobo. And just LOL if you identify as a gamer. Why the gently caress would you spend one more second in front of a screen that you have to when there's perfectly good cars to tear down and make better?

(The only game I can tolerate is Minecraft and I'll only have that open when I'm working on servers remotely. Otherwise gently caress games)

Well, as much as I would want to, I'm getting older, and it's really hot outside in Summer. And too cold in winter. And it rains, and I'm a goof who doesn't have room for a car in his garage because...
So, Vidya Games.

fridge corn posted:

Trailing edge gaming is where it's at. My trigger price point is $20 or under, for console games. I don't have a ballsy PC or Mac, so I don't do too much PC gaming. Just really old stuff, or simple stuff.

edit: also, I've gotten so many free games for the 360 and One via Games With Gold. And they all actually play on the One now.

• Locked thread