Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

Anyone have brake recommendations for an R56 justa mini cooper? I see power stop kits from rock auto and the full brake kits from pelican parts. Anyone want to steer me one way or another? I don't really like 'cheaping out' on something as critical as braking, but I don't want overkill poo poo like cross drilled and slotted for a daily for my wife.

Sorry for your guys loss up there :glomp:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

RillAkBea posted:

GT Sport? :v:

I picked up a 3DSLL last year and certainly did not regret it. The resolution is a little janky but the cheap games make up for it. I also bought a PS Vita to try that whole thing out too but something about the size and shape makes my hands hurt.

DQ Builders.

The Vita is nothing but boobie games afaik. Also, the 3DS is so much fun in Japan. StreetPass is a thing!

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

Phone posted:

DQ Builders.

The Vita is nothing but boobie games afaik. Also, the 3DS is so much fun in Japan. StreetPass is a thing!

Boobie games and powerpoint presentations ~visual novels~ I mostly bought it for Persona 4 Golden though. Unfortunately I live in the middle of nowhere so I've not really ever been out on the street with my 3DS.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

Swagger Dagger posted:

My class was the same. The first test was about designing logic gates, the second was all about coding in assembly, and the last one was about memory mapping.

We covered very little of that in class, especially the assembly. It took a lot of time just staring at x86 documentation to figure anything out.

I showed up for my intro microprocessors class having read half the textbook (because I am an autist) and already designed my own 8085 based SBC on paper while camping. Professor said it looked good to him. I guess it's not much of a surprise I ended up doing embedded systems design, that was one of my favorite classes ever.

x86 is a mess but you get used to it. Or, at least, I did till a half decade ago, I don't know most of the new instruction set extensions like AES or SSEx very well if at all.

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011

BloodBag posted:

Anyone have brake recommendations for an R56 justa mini cooper? I see power stop kits from rock auto and the full brake kits from pelican parts. Anyone want to steer me one way or another? I don't really like 'cheaping out' on something as critical as braking, but I don't want overkill poo poo like cross drilled and slotted for a daily for my wife.

Sorry for your guys loss up there :glomp:

I literally bought the cheapest ($220) brake kit for my wifes former 06 Mini S off Amazon. The kit came with rotors, pads, and sensors. They seemed to be the same quality I would have got locally at a import parts shop for half the price.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

You mean my personal heaven. Gimme ALL THE KITTYS!! Except I'd lavish a great deal of affection and food. And bury any that died

Tomarse
Mar 7, 2001

Grr

Roadkill and MightyCarMods collaboration just got more likely! :)

edit:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J0rZEyVMQHE

Tomarse fucked around with this message at 22:01 on Sep 22, 2016

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

Tusen Takk posted:

Life is meaningless please spend your free time doing whatever makes you happy

Fiddling with my joystick

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Tomarse posted:

I like the use of duct tape over Roadkill lads t-shirts to hide their identities

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках
That's gonna be goooood.

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]
Can I just say that I really enjoy reading this forum and the users that post here? Cause it's pretty nice.

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
No, no we haven't time, because we're just going straight over to Luton.

wallaka
Jun 8, 2010

Least it wasn't a fucking red shell

Tomarse posted:

Was about to post this

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011

the spyder posted:

I literally bought the cheapest ($220) brake kit for my wifes former 06 Mini S off Amazon. The kit came with rotors, pads, and sensors. They seemed to be the same quality I would have got locally at a import parts shop for half the price.

$186, My mistake.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00AN5VMZE/

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...
Still playing Mad Max.

Finally got the Big Chief.

:perfect:

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

Boaz MacPhereson posted:

Still playing Mad Max.

Finally got the Big Chief.

:perfect:

I started playing it again. It's still a bit of a slog but I got to Gastown.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
We got our property replacement check today so that was nice. Our washer and dryer were discontinued so they found the newer model and did a depreciation on those and ended up paying us $75 more than we paid for the originals which was pretty nice. I have an appliance repair guy coming to inspect our existing units to ensure we can just keep using them since the damage appears to be cosmetic. They were incredibly thorough and fair in the assessment and after our deductible we're getting a nice little chunk of change. I've decided it's not really worth replacing all the wall art that was destroyed so I'll just hang some new stuff and put the money towards some fun stuff.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

How much soot was there? That absolutely destroys electronics.

If they're basic knob and timer deals then I'd keep using them. If they have any electronics then I'd be iffy.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
Same sort of thing (well, disaster followed by insurance payout, the disaster was exactly the opposite kind) happened to a friend in college, his college owned student apartment blew a steam line to a radiator within days of him leaving for christmas break and it was only discovered by maintenance personnel weeks later, the basement had multiple feet of water in it and the floors were buckled from the steam, some bulging up 4 inches in places. He called his apartment insurance firm up and told them what he wanted, instead they made him itemize everything and he ended up with like a $15k payout. One of the specific things I remember was an ancient Bay Networks 24 port 10mbit managed switch I had pulled out of a dumpster and given to him, he listed it as being worth like 50 bucks with a link to some consumer poo poo off newegg and they insisted it wasn't the same and gave him a grand because that's what the most comparable equipment they could find cost. It sucked losing his apartment, but the money was nice.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

some texas redneck posted:

How much soot was there? That absolutely destroys electronics.

If they're basic knob and timer deals then I'd keep using them. If they have any electronics then I'd be iffy.

None. The flames were out in under 3 minutes. 99% of the damage was from the sprinklers and all the electronics appear be shielded in such a way that the water never hit them. But yeah, it's all knobs and stuff, no fancy buttons or digital stuff.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

It's still plenty hot here, and one of my fans just died. I have 2 floor-standing fans, one for the living room, one for the bedroom. We're still well into the 90s this time of year, and whacked 100 a few days ago.

Went to Walmart to get a new one.

Seriously? :fuckoff:

Employee saw me staring at the heaters piled up under the "Air Conditioners" sign and apologized, said they stopped getting ACs and fans 3 weeks ago. Nothing in backstock, they sold through everything they had. :sigh: Apparently they switch everything over for the entire region at the same time, without consideration of conditions in a specific market. They already yanked shorts and summer wear from the sales floor too, and put out heavy coats. We need heavy coats for maybe 3-4 weeks out of the year (usually Jan-Feb at most).

Rhyno posted:

None. The flames were out in under 3 minutes. 99% of the damage was from the sprinklers and all the electronics appear be shielded in such a way that the water never hit them. But yeah, it's all knobs and stuff, no fancy buttons or digital stuff.

I'd have no problem using them for the next couple of decades then. At worst you might have to replace a timer a bit sooner, if water made its way into the timer itself. And that's a dead simple job on older appliances (and newer basic ones).

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

some texas redneck posted:

Employee saw me staring at the heaters piled up under the "Air Conditioners" sign and apologized, said they stopped getting ACs and fans 3 weeks ago. Nothing in backstock, they sold through everything they had. :sigh: Apparently they switch everything over for the entire region at the same time, without consideration of conditions in a specific market. They already yanked shorts and summer wear from the sales floor too, and put out heavy coats.
The gently caress do you need a heater for in Texas? That's what outside is for.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

quote:

Apparently they switch everything over for the entire region at the same time, without consideration of conditions in a specific market.

In what region that's remotely near anywhere in Texas is September "winter prep time"?

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Exactly!

I mean... in most apartments I've lived in, I do have to use the heat for a few weeks, but that's about it. One apartment I lived in, I turned the heat on less than half a dozen times in the 3 years I lived there. The kitchen and bathroom stayed warm thanks to the boiler + circulation pump setup (and the pipes under the kitchen and bathroom floor), keeping the rest of the place warm just meant leaving a fan on to circulate the air.

I have a fireplace in the apartment I'm in now. I have no idea why fireplaces are even a thing in this part of the country, but I guess if my power goes out for a bit in the winter I can use it to keep the place toasty.

Enourmo posted:

In what region that's remotely near anywhere in Texas is September "winter prep time"?

The panhandle gets really loving cold, but you're closer to Denver CO than you are to Austin TX if you're in Amarillo. Santa Fe NM is also closer than Austin. But even Amarillo is still getting into the 80s during the day.

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 06:06 on Sep 23, 2016

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

Seat Safety Switch posted:

The gently caress do you need a heater for in Texas? That's what outside is for.

Because when you can handle consistent temperatures in the 90s for extended periods, it makes you adapt to it. Then then 68° comes along, you need to bundle up. It's just something that happens and you adapt. I used to think Texans were nuts when I moved here in '99, but now I'm freezing my rear end off in the CMM lab at work, which is kept at 68° at all times. When it gets to the 40s and 50s here, it's serious business. Like, dress up for Hogwarts time. Two winters ago I had to buy a propane heater for our tent at an art festival in Austin because we were freezing so badly. The humidity in the cold air makes the cold so much more effective. When I lived in CO, it was a dry cold/hot, so it didn't really affect you that much. But damp cold is just awful. Also, they don't sell proper cold weather clothes here. At least not that I've found.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
It's been 4 years in Phoenix and I long for 68 degrees.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

The only place I've ever been where the weather is better than New England is NW Washington. Place is amazing.

blk
Dec 19, 2009

kastein posted:

The only place I've ever been where the weather is better than New England is NW Washington. Place is amazing.

Shhhhhh you mean Washington DC, right? *exaggerated wink*

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher
Oh hey, moving office and IT server room

Start at 5am.

Annnnnnnnnd.....

Out at 9pm. Yeah I am hosed.

epic bird guy
Dec 9, 2014

Lol a couple years ago when I was still living up nort there was visible ice on Lake Superior until the second week of June. Up here there's usually a couple of days in march where the temp gets above 45 and it starts to feel like spring and everyone unwisely switches over to light jackets. Then the sun sets.

68 is chilly if you're sitting in an office but for an outside temp it is very nice.

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

So....There was a tornado that touched down in Utah last night and it messed some stuff up.

Tornadoes don't happen in Utah. :stare: Clearly this is a sign that Providence is displeased with this nation.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Going to Boston for a wedding next weekend, and the lows are forecast to be in the 50's so yeah that's gonna suck.

Modus Man
Jun 8, 2004

Soiled Meat
For the last rear I have been driving by this piece of land in Milford, Michigan, right off the expressway, it's 525 acres for sale and I keep thinking this would be a perfect spot for a motor sports complex. I mean it's just a daydream but I imagine buying the land building a 3 mile road course and a 1/2 mile drag strip, and there might even be room left for a rally-cross track so we could keep it open in the winter. The location really is perfect I just need like 50 million bucks. Anybody want to go in on it with me? Just need another 49,995,000

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

If you're going to buy land in Michigan you should go up north where you don't spend $50mil for 525 acres of swampland

Modus Man
Jun 8, 2004

Soiled Meat
Yeah I suppose a cheaper location would make more sense, could even get some elevation changes a little more north. Plus I just read an article about Oregon race park and it only cost them 3 mil to build a badass 2 mile road course with banked turns and everything

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
Lmao has Aggro Crag quit the chat thread again cause we made fun of him for being a trump voter

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Modus Man posted:

Yeah I suppose a cheaper location would make more sense, could even get some elevation changes a little more north. Plus I just read an article about Oregon race park and it only cost them 3 mil to build a badass 2 mile road course with banked turns and everything

Not only is it cheaper but it's also better, Michigan land south of like Grand Rapids is reclaimed swamp land and is super garbage to do anything with other than plant corn

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Tusen Takk posted:

Not only is it cheaper but it's also better, Michigan land south of like Grand Rapids is reclaimed swamp land and is super garbage to do anything with other than plant corn

All I'm hearing is super-heavy class hovercraft racing.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

a cat just walked up to me and started headbooping me while i was outside of my office

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Tusen Takk posted:

a cat just walked up to me and started headbooping me while i was outside of my office

congratulations on your new cat

• Locked thread