Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

Taco didn't make it. Liver and kidney failure. My son is dead. Rest in peace. You were the best cat I've ever had the pleasure of knowing.
E: that's him on the left with his buddy, Lucky. The head bapping those two got up to...
http://imgur.com/a/lOqmT

BloodBag fucked around with this message at 18:41 on Sep 26, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Condolences :(

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Sorry to hear BB :rip:

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen
Damnit :(

Tomarse
Mar 7, 2001

Grr

Got a bit of landrover in my eye :( Only half of it came out in A&E today so I've got to go back on Wednesday morning for some more digging :(

Don't know when i got it in there but I had a face mask on when i was lying under there drilling and i'm pretty sure I had safety glasses on for most of the day :(

Sorry about your furry friend Bloodbag :(

freelop
Apr 28, 2013

Where we're going, we won't need fries to see

Condolences bloodbag :(

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

Dang, sorry dude.

keykey
Mar 28, 2003

All that is great to know. I'm in CA so no doubt my ownership experience would be different in the US than in the UK. But the saving grace is most people here use them as grocery getters/kid haulers and not really off road so I should be able to find one with minimal to no rust underneath and not beat to death. I was going to spray an undercoat on to seal off the rust portion and you're correct the v-8 is what I'm looking at because I can't seem to find any diesels without going into Defender territory. Should I look at an earlier Range Rover or an S1 Discovery? What would be the positives/negatives of either build?

edit:

That's a lovely start to page 43, sorry for your catbuddy loss BB.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

Jumping into the goon pile. :glomp: Sorry, BloodBag

Beverly Cleavage
Jun 22, 2004

I am a pretty pretty princess, watch me do my pretty princess dance....
Ugh, sorry to hear that BloodBag. We've lost 3 cats in the past 3-ish years. It never gets any easier. :(

One of the 2 remaining is 18 years old too... uggggg

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Awww, kitty. Sorry dude.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

BloodBag posted:

Taco didn't make it. Liver and kidney failure. My son is dead. Rest in peace. You were the best cat I've ever had the pleasure of knowing.
E: that's him on the left with his buddy, Lucky. The head bapping those two got up to...

I'm sorry, man. :(

Alarbus
Mar 31, 2010
Awww, catte. Sorry BloodBag. :(

My first cat passed like that a few years ago, and while the current one is young and healthy, it's going to wreck me just as hard eventually. Does not get easier.

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost

BloodBag posted:

Really sorry to hear that man. Our little 15-year buddy (who looked almost identical to your ginger) had a similar sudden decline a couple years ago and it's tough to lose a companion.

You were a good catte Taco, may you be woken from naps in the sun and breeze with scents of fresh sushi tuna coming your way for eternity.

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

You guys are so nice, thank you. Taco was the coolest cat. He'd always greet me when I got home, sit on my desk with me while posting. He'd sleep next to me in the bed every night like a spoon. He was larger than life and always made an impression on everyone he met. He was a gentle giant, he weighed 27 lbs the last time I weighed him. The vet said today he was 20 lbs. All the other cats seem to know by our behavior that something happened because they've all been...stepping up and being all affectionate. I knew Taco's passing would affect me a lot, but I didn't expect it to be so soon. I thought I had another 13 years with him at least :-( Go hug your cattes. I wish I could have him up here with me one more time, or hear his broken meow again.:negative:

E: gently caress 2016. My wife gets news of her Dad's death on her birthday and my best floof dies two days before mine. Christmas and Thanksgiving are cancelled in this house.

BloodBag fucked around with this message at 20:03 on Sep 26, 2016

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

is the 2017 Raptor as sexy and cool as I think it is or is my opinion bad and wrong?

it's pretty much the only pickup that i'd ever consider buying

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Have you heard about our Lord and saviour, the datsun?

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Geirskogul posted:

Have you heard about our Lord and saviour, the datsun?

yeah but none exist up here and i need more than a 2 seater :(

also im really tired of working on my old car to keep it running and i'd prefer to have a newer car that is at least semi reliable for like 5 years while i forget how terrible working on a broken car in the cold is

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

You'll be sorry you made fun of me when Daddy Donald jails all my posting enemies!

Tusen Takk posted:

is the 2017 Raptor as sexy and cool as I think it is or is my opinion bad and wrong?

It is, but its even more monstrously wide than a normal F150 and is only available with the miniature bed length (5.5')

Its also $55-70k. *shrug*

ilkhan fucked around with this message at 21:35 on Sep 26, 2016

bend
Dec 31, 2012

BloodBag posted:

You guys are so nice, thank you. Taco was the coolest cat. He'd always greet me when I got home, sit on my desk with me while posting. He'd sleep next to me in the bed every night like a spoon. He was larger than life and always made an impression on everyone he met. He was a gentle giant, he weighed 27 lbs the last time I weighed him. The vet said today he was 20 lbs. All the other cats seem to know by our behavior that something happened because they've all been...stepping up and being all affectionate. I knew Taco's passing would affect me a lot, but I didn't expect it to be so soon. I thought I had another 13 years with him at least :-( Go hug your cattes. I wish I could have him up here with me one more time, or hear his broken meow again.:negative:

E: gently caress 2016. My wife gets news of her Dad's death on her birthday and my best floof dies two days before mine. Christmas and Thanksgiving are cancelled in this house.

sorry mate, that sucks

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
God loving drat it. City ticketed my Audi with a summons for 'Junk Vehicles'

Its registered, tagged, and insured, and its not on bricks you assholes.

BloodBag posted:

:( I'm so sorry.

Please consider adopting another older kitty from the shelter.

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat
Bloodbag I'm sorry your fur buddy couldn't keep going. :( He sounded like an awesome cat.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

keykey posted:

All that is great to know. I'm in CA so no doubt my ownership experience would be different in the US than in the UK. But the saving grace is most people here use them as grocery getters/kid haulers and not really off road so I should be able to find one with minimal to no rust underneath and not beat to death. I was going to spray an undercoat on to seal off the rust portion and you're correct the v-8 is what I'm looking at because I can't seem to find any diesels without going into Defender territory. Should I look at an earlier Range Rover or an S1 Discovery? What would be the positives/negatives of either build?
Ok, I am not an expert on Discos, but the below is what I do know, or at the very least is reasonably well-founded grapevine material.

Yeah, you won't find any (legal) diesels in the US, as only the first couple of years are under the 25 year inport rule. The Rover V8 has been owned by several posters (if you look at Tomarse's 101 thread, he has a later RV8 in his Forward Control), and while my opinion is that the engine has it's popularity from being the only common UK V8 rather than actually being particularly brilliant, they're not actively terrible either.

I'd be inclined to go with a Series 1 Disco as more of a "toy" than a daily driver. They have largely the same advantages of a Range Rover Classic, but you can get newer ones, and they're likely to be cheaper to buy.

Rust: Like the Range Rover Classic, the Disco's "aluminium" body is actually aluminium panelling hung on a steel frame, and this frame is what rusts. The really critical stuff is the body mount areas, which are under the front grille, immediately in front of the footwells, at the front and rear of the sills/rockers, and behind the rear bumper under the rear door. The box section rots out, the boxed-out mounting points rot out, and the body in that are (or the entire thing) drops a few inches until it's resting on the chassis. Some posters may remember the pictures of the absolutely :staredog: example I stupidly bought a while back.

The chassis is most likely to rust around the rear end, the general rule for Land Rovers is that anything within fling distance of the engine and gearbox is automatically rust-proofed by leaks.

A car which has lived the suburban life may not have ever been in low range or had the diff locked, and the transfer shifter may be somewhat stuck. It's likely to be the linkage, and solved by lubrication and working it about, but definitely see if you can move it if you go look at one, it's a negotiation point if nothing else.

Axles aren't massively strong, they're not a Dana 35 or anything, but in the US you lack the option of being able to easily grab a Salisbury (basically a Dana 60) out of a LWB Defender to go in there. However, as mentioned, they're fully floating, so if you snap a shaft, it won't lose a wheel. The rear axle on the later S1s uses a Giubo joint to the propshaft, nothing particularly wrong with that, but it won't like the angles on a lifted vehicle. You can just unbolt it and swap to a U-joint type though. Double carden props are available aftermarket.

Front axle uses CVs at the steering ends, inside chromed swivel balls similar to the style Toyota use. A major advantage to the Rover design is that they bolt on, they aren't welded to the axle tube, so rusty ones are a swap-out job, not a condemned axle.

Brakes are pretty good. Discs all round. Four piston up front, two at the rear, transmission handbrake. Which you will remember just as you jack up one rear wheel on a slope, and the open diff allows the truck to make a break for freedom.

Suspension is pretty simple. Coils all round, front end located with radius arms and a panhard rod. While the Series 2 ran the same out back (but with watt's linkage), the Series 1 is a three-link with two lower arms and a triangular upper centre ball pivot. With the anti-roll bar detatched, they will really follow the terrain well.

Standard tyres on a Disco are 29" (235/70R16) - the drivetrain hardware is the same as on a SWB Defender and 32" is perfectly "normal", but you're going to hit your bodywork. Speaking of hitting bodywork, the rear overhang is likely first thing to catch off-road, unless you have a towbar.

Now, I like Land Rovers, but I have the benefit of being in the UK, where you can fnd parts cheaply and easily (occasionally literally lying in a hedge), so they make more sense than a Jeep, but in the states that's not necessarily the case. I think you need to get the perspective of Americans whove run/worked on/modified them to make that call.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

InitialDave posted:

Ok, I am not an expert on Discos, but the below is what I do know, or at the very least is reasonably well-founded grapevine material.

Yeah, you won't find any (legal) diesels in the US, as only the first couple of years are under the 25 year inport rule. The Rover V8 has been owned by several posters (if you look at Tomarse's 101 thread, he has a later RV8 in his Forward Control), and while my opinion is that the engine has it's popularity from being the only common UK V8 rather than actually being particularly brilliant, they're not actively terrible either.

I'd be inclined to go with a Series 1 Disco as more of a "toy" than a daily driver. They have largely the same advantages of a Range Rover Classic, but you can get newer ones, and they're likely to be cheaper to buy.

Funny enough, there is a guy nearby that converts Discos to Diesel with VW/Mercedes motors and even has Disco OEM diesel engines.

http://atlanta.craigslist.org/atl/pts/5784804831.html

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

CommieGIR posted:

Funny enough, there is a guy nearby that converts Discos to Diesel with VW/Mercedes motors and even has Disco OEM diesel engines.

http://atlanta.craigslist.org/atl/pts/5784804831.html
Hmm, don't the federal authorities take a very dim view of fitting non-US-compliant engines to stuff? You could have 300TDIs or Disco front-cuts on pallets out the UK any time you want, but my understanding was that it's something that either gets stopped at customs, or sees you getting a severe bumming when they do find out.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

BloodBag posted:

Well that loving sucks. Cats live far too short lives

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

InitialDave posted:

Hmm, don't the federal authorities take a very dim view of fitting non-US-compliant engines to stuff? You could have 300TDIs or Disco front-cuts on pallets out the UK any time you want, but my understanding was that it's something that either gets stopped at customs, or sees you getting a severe bumming when they do find out.

No. Generally, nobody cares outside of cities that do emissions testing, and that Disco is old enough to be exempt in this state.

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008

BloodBag posted:

Sorry about taco catte. Sounds like a wonderful little companion.

I feel you on the gently caress 2016 too. Girlfriend has lost two grandfathers, lost a great aunt, her great uncle is slowly losing his mind, and her grandmother had a heart attack over the weekend.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

mariooncrack posted:

Sorry about taco catte. Sounds like a wonderful little companion.

I feel you on the gently caress 2016 too. Girlfriend has lost two grandfathers, lost a great aunt, her great uncle is slowly losing his mind, and her grandmother had a heart attack over the weekend.

You need to find the person that put a curse on her before it hits you

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

CommieGIR posted:

No. Generally, nobody cares outside of cities that do emissions testing, and that Disco is old enough to be exempt in this state.
Hmm, interesting.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

CommieGIR posted:

God loving drat it. City ticketed my Audi with a summons for 'Junk Vehicles'

That's a brutal insult.

clam ache
Sep 6, 2009

Tusen Takk posted:

Ford have only gotten worse with time. The new honda Ridgeline looks awesome is four doors super useful and we'll it's a honda.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

You'll be sorry you made fun of me when Daddy Donald jails all my posting enemies!

SouthsideSaint posted:

Ford have only gotten worse with time. The new honda Ridgeline looks awesome is four doors super useful and we'll it's a honda.
Did you really just compare one of the most bad rear end factory off road trucks around with an AWD 3 inch ground clearance ute?

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Yes, because for the majority of ways that Raptor owners will actually use their trucks, the Ridgeline is probably better at all of them except:

*Actual extreme offroading
*Parking hard

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
I love friendly kitties :(

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗
Why am I looking at a 180k mile m3

Why do I hate myself

Why is it in such good shape

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

The missus doesn't want me to get a small gun car right now because since we just got a house it doesn't make sense to have to go borrow a trick every time we go furniture shopping or need to go get drywall slabs or whatever on top of being good in the snow

Which, while agree with all that, I want a drat focus RS :mad:

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

Tusen Takk posted:

The missus doesn't want me to get a small gun car right now because since we just got a house it doesn't make sense to have to go borrow a trick every time we go furniture shopping or need to go get drywall slabs or whatever on top of being good in the snow

Which, while agree with all that, I want a drat focus RS :mad:

Beater truck, RS daily. Problem solved.

In other news, if anyone's into audio stuff, about 8 years or so ago there was an online company called AV123 that made some very good-sounding speakers that were very well acclaimed. Unfortunately, the guy that ran it was a big scammer and ended up doing time for being a big scammer.

Well, he's out of jail now, and obviously back to doing totally legitimate business, by selling "Balanced Cable Power Systems." http://www.corepowertechnologies.com/ :psyboom:

Oh, sweet gently caress, there is a "review" here: http://www.stereotimes.com/post/core-power-technologies-equicore-300/

meatpimp fucked around with this message at 01:10 on Sep 27, 2016

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Sorry to hear the news Blood bag.

:(

If anyone wants a front seat to the freak-show debate of the century, starts right away

https://youtu.be/L6QElWIKfDk

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

meatpimp posted:

Beater truck, RS daily. Problem solved.

In other news, if anyone's into audio stuff, about 8 years or so ago there was an online company called AV123 that made some very good-sounding speakers that were very well acclaimed. Unfortunately, the guy that ran it was a big scammer and ended up doing time for being a big scammer.

Well, he's out of jail now, and obviously back to doing totally legitimate business, by selling "Balanced Cable Power Systems." http://www.corepowertechnologies.com/ :psyboom:

Why didn't I think of this :doh:

The price of a raptor is definitely around the same price as an RS and a beater pickup

• Locked thread