Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Pham Nuwen posted:

The STR anti-technology field strikes again! I'm pretty sure you've gone through something like 5 phones, 2 cars, more computer equipment than I can remember, and at least 5 major appliances? (dishwasher, oven, ice maker, air conditioner, there was more I'm sure) Just since I started noticing the STR anti-tech effect a couple years ago. Meanwhile I've yet to have a major appliance kick the bucket, and all my phones last me 2+ years, and I've never had a hard drive fail... so what I'm saying is we must never meet, lest our pro-tech and anti-tech fields interact and send humanity back to the dark ages.

In other news, the Ranger got 24 mpg as of my fillup this morning, and that was mostly city driving too. I got 20 mpg last time but I've tried to keep it under 4k RPM on this last tank and it's definitely helped the mileage.

Well uh you see uh... well gently caress. Yeah.

Phones I do go through, but aside from my last one, usually just because I want something newer. I bitch about android issues a lot, but generally they're 3rd party ROM issues and not a hardware issue. The last one was purchased used on swappa, and I definitely got burned on it. :sigh: But I only paid ~$225 or so for a $400-500 phone that was still a current model until about a month ago. The one I have now was still an open box purchase, but I have zero complaints about it, and it came from Amazon instead of a random dude. I've had the Saturn almost 4 years/90k now, which is the longest I've ever held on to a car (both by years and miles). Usually I wear cars out by then, but most of them have been beaters, and this one was almost in showroom condition when I bought it. Still runs great, though the deferred maintenance list is growing longer.

The oven and ice maker are in my parents house. Both are up there in years, and my stepdad always buys ice makers used and gets a few years out of them before they take a poo poo (and refuses to put more money into the oven). Their ice maker is broken yet again, but I haven't lived there since June. The dishwasher in my apartment was hosed from the day I moved in, but it was also 12 or 14 years old (in an apartment built in the early 80s), and the bottom of the line Hotpoint model. And knowing this management company, I'd put money on them salvaging it from a building with fire or tornado damage (they actually replaced my next door neighbor's a/c unit with a unit salvaged from another property that was destroyed by a tornado - it lasted for about a day before it died).

Maintenance fixed the a/c today. :neckbeard: I thought the compressor was seized, since it kept tripping the breaker and was making a horrific racket when it tried to start. They said the start cap for the compressor went out. It's been having issues starting for several weeks (lights would flicker/breaker panel would buzz several times before it would finally start), so a bad cap would make sense. That's the 3rd start cap since I moved in though. :stare: But the power here goes out all the loving time, usually just for a second or two, so I can see it chewing through caps pretty quickly with it trying to restart immediately.

The Locator posted:

From your description it sounds like a bad cap. Pretty common a/c failure and quick and easy to fix.

Nailed it. I'm not used to the breaker tripping when a cap goes bad, but this thing is on a 20 amp 2 pole breaker, and it's a 2.5 ton unit. I'm used to acs being on a beefier breaker. Since it's an old Federal Pacific breaker, it's probably tripping around 100+ amps. :supaburn:

Tusen Takk posted:

The missus doesn't want me to get a small gun car right now because since we just got a house it doesn't make sense to have to go borrow a trick

Well I mean, if I were in a relationship, I'd be upset if my spouse borrowed a trick too. :colbert:

BloodBag posted:

Taco didn't make it. Liver and kidney failure. My son is dead. Rest in peace. You were the best cat I've ever had the pleasure of knowing.
E: that's him on the left with his buddy, Lucky. The head bapping those two got up to...
http://imgur.com/a/lOqmT

I'm sorry. :glomp: Losing a pet is always rough.

The Dude says hi.

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 06:43 on Sep 27, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

Nice legs.

I have a response in kind, but I was probated for it before.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

Geirskogul posted:

Nice legs.

I have a response in kind, but I was probated for it before.

Wait... You learn from probations? That's not the way it's supposed to work... Is it?

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Great, just got a call from the wife, clutch has gone bang. Silver lining, she's right outside the one garage I trust.

gently caress. That's a bill I wasn't counting on.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

Cakefool posted:

Great, just got a call from the wife, clutch has gone bang. Silver lining, she's right outside the one garage I trust.

gently caress. That's a bill I wasn't counting on.

The new Multipla?

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Yup. Won't even go into gear with the engine off, so we'll see what's give exactly. And no, of course the bare minimum legally required warranty on used cars won't cover clutch as it's a wear item.

E: bought it just over a month ago as well.

EE: gently caress cars with moving parts, where's my tesla 3 already. Oh yeah, I'm too tight to buy a functioning car, that's where.

cakesmith handyman fucked around with this message at 10:31 on Sep 27, 2016

spog
Aug 7, 2004

Cakefool posted:

Yup. Won't even go into gear with the engine off, so we'll see what's give exactly. And no, of course the bare minimum legally required warranty on used cars won't cover clutch as it's a wear item.

E: bought it just over a month ago as well.

Sure that's the clutch? Not a gear linkage or similar?

I think you'd still be covered under the new Consumer Rights as a gearbox/clutch failing within 45 days isn't normal wear and tear.

https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/consumer/buying-or-repairing-a-car/problems-with-a-used-car/

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
Dogchat: you have my sympathy, dude, but take solace in the fact that dogs don't have a concept of this kind of thing. If not in pain, they have no issue from the psychological/emotional effects people get from knowing they're disabled or on the way out. They just get on with it as best they can until they can't.

On top of the general maxim that the more people you meet, the more you appreciate dogs.

Cakefool posted:

Great, just got a call from the wife, clutch has gone bang. Silver lining,
Sounds expensive. :iamafag:

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

spog posted:

I think you'd still be covered under the new Consumer Rights as a gearbox/clutch failing within 45 days isn't normal wear and tear.

https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/consumer/buying-or-repairing-a-car/problems-with-a-used-car/

'07, used car, 1 month worthless warranty already expired.

Clutch pedal stays where it's put, gears won't engage even with the engine off. Sounds clutch-ish.

bend
Dec 31, 2012

InitialDave posted:

Dogchat: you have my sympathy, dude, but take solace in the fact that dogs don't have a concept of this kind of thing. If not in pain, they have no issue from the psychological/emotional effects people get from knowing they're disabled or on the way out. They just get on with it as best they can until they can't.

On top of the general maxim that the more people you meet, the more you appreciate dogs.

Sounds expensive. :iamafag:

too true that, he had me mates lab visit earlier and couldn't stop trying to root the poor girl so he's happy as larry atm, looks very proud of himself dirty bastard that he is.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

Cakefool posted:

Clutch pedal stays where it's put, gears won't engage even with the engine off. Sounds clutch-ish.

spog posted:

Hopefully it's just a pivoty-bit, that could show the same symptoms.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
I'd say dead hydraulics/snapped cable, depending on design, or if you're less lucky, the release bearing has pushed past/behind the actuator/release fork (some are just stamped steel and pretty weak).

Personal favourite example was the Frontera. Master cylinder not actuated because the bulkhead where the pedal mounted was cracked and peeling away when pressed... And it was a double-layer panel, so looked absolutely fine from the engine bay side.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

Cakefool posted:

Consumer rights > warranty - especially with the new act in 2015

http://www.theaa.com/motoring_advice/car-buyers-guide/cbg_legalrights.html

quote:

Faults, repairs and refunds

Under the new act, if a fault renders the product not of satisfactory quality, not fit for purpose or not as described, then the buyer is entitled to reject it within the first 30 days.

Between 30 days and 6 months

If a fault comes to light after 30 days but before 6 months have passed then you are entitled to a repair, replacement or refund. It is assumed in law that the fault was present at the time of purchase unless the seller can prove otherwise. During this period, unless you have agreed otherwise, the seller (dealer) has only one opportunity to repair (or replace) the faulty vehicle after which, if they fail to repair it, you are entitled to a refund.

In the event of a refund following a failed attempt at repair during the first six months the seller is permitted to make a 'reasonable' adjustment to the amount refunded to take account of the use that you have had of the vehicle since you bought it.

Call the garage and don't take any poo poo from them.

EDIT: we may not have the right to own and arm bears, or to pursue happiness, but we do have the right to cars that don't explode as soon as you take them off the forecourt.

spog fucked around with this message at 12:01 on Sep 27, 2016

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Jesus Christ.

http://www.21alive.com/news/local/AMBER-ALERT-cancelled-children-found-394820791.html

quote:

ELKHART, Ind. (21Alive) -- The two children abducted from an Allen County home Monday are reported dead.
Allen County Officials put out the Amber Alert for 7-year-old Liliana Hernandez and 6-year-old Rene Pasztor around 12:30 p.m. Monday.
Around 5:25 p.m. Monday, an Elkhart Police Department officer was leaving work when Amber Pasztor, the mother of the two children, pulled up to the Elkhart Police Department and told officer the kids were dead in the backseat.
She is now in police custody at the Elkhart County Correctional Facility and is facing two counts of murder.
Elkhart Police say the autopsy is scheduled for Tuesday at 11 a.m. in Kalamazoo, Mich. to determine cause of death.
Police are still searching for 65-year-old Frank Macomber who was believed to be traveling with Pasztor.
If you have any information on his whereabouts, contact police.

So crazy mom who had her kids taken away grabbed them up yesterday morning, drove across the state and murdered them. The man she had with her is missing but they found a body in a wooded lot to blocks from where she grabbed the kids and they think it might be him.

Hug your drat kids and pray for their lifelong safety.

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org

Rhyno posted:

Don't do that if you're the type to murder them, however.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Rhyno posted:

I do every day. There is nothing like the worry and anxiety of having a child in this world where literally anything bad could happen to them, but at the same time trying not to shelter them and letting them figure out some poo poo for themselves. It's a delicate balance and it's nerve wracking

:smith:

Beverly Cleavage
Jun 22, 2004

I am a pretty pretty princess, watch me do my pretty princess dance....
Hell.. the near panic attacks I have thinking about my kids if something happened to me is bad enough... ugggg

Those kids :(

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
Gotta go hug my son, thanks a lot.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

Unless any of you have a psycho for a partner, don't worry.

They may borrow your car and scrape it along a supermarket wall, sink it into a muddy festical field, smash it into a kerb at 30mph or park it on top of a tree *, but they will be fine

(*not going to admit which of these I have done)

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Everybody go hug your kids and pets.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Suddenly my day doesn't seem that bad. :catstare:

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Here have a doggo in mi carro

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Man, there's some dark poo poo in this thread right now.:(

Lemme complain about some lighter poo poo. Just got back my first heat transfer exam, and oof. 65%, and that's well above the average. I should be sitting alright once the explicitly promised curve is applied, but drat that's a rough class.

Thank gently caress I took everyone in here's advice and dropped Vibrations, my classmate is taking both while also running my same project and working a high-part-time job, and he's losing his goddamn mind.

keykey
Mar 28, 2003

Getting caught up from yesterday and drat it turned into a poo poo show last night followed by animal pix that pulled out the nosedive. Now dead kid chat? gently caress, I think that may be lower than even last night. Thanks, I'm off to get some liquid breakfast after that.

Magnus Praeda
Jul 18, 2003
The largess in the land.

Tusen Takk posted:

Here have a doggo in mi carro

I spent way too long trying to figure out why you had an air freshener shaped like Idaho in your car.
:doh:

Your dog is adorable. Buy a beater truck so he can stick his head out the window, as that is the right of all dogs.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

meatpimp posted:

Beater truck, RS daily. Problem solved.

In other news, if anyone's into audio stuff, about 8 years or so ago there was an online company called AV123 that made some very good-sounding speakers that were very well acclaimed. Unfortunately, the guy that ran it was a big scammer and ended up doing time for being a big scammer.

Well, he's out of jail now, and obviously back to doing totally legitimate business, by selling "Balanced Cable Power Systems." http://www.corepowertechnologies.com/ :psyboom:

Oh, sweet gently caress, there is a "review" here: http://www.stereotimes.com/post/core-power-technologies-equicore-300/

Jesus that review is so incredibly pretentious it hurts.
It's amazing what "audiophiles" will convince themselves that they hear after they spend stupid money.

InitialDave posted:

I'd say dead hydraulics/snapped cable, depending on design, or if you're less lucky, the release bearing has pushed past/behind the actuator/release fork (some are just stamped steel and pretty weak).

Personal favourite example was the Frontera. Master cylinder not actuated because the bulkhead where the pedal mounted was cracked and peeling away when pressed... And it was a double-layer panel, so looked absolutely fine from the engine bay side.

I once had the anchor point for the clutch cable in my '78 Chevy Monza fatigue and rip through the firewall. I then learned to speed shift to get it somewhere I could fix the damned thing. No welder, so it ended up with a larger chunk of aluminum plate attached to the same spot in the firewall as a mount. Then the rear mount of the left front control arm also fatigued and broke off, and I sold it. Apparently, my Monza had metallurgical issues.

Rhyno posted:

Jesus Christ.

http://www.21alive.com/news/local/AMBER-ALERT-cancelled-children-found-394820791.html

So crazy mom who had her kids taken away grabbed them up yesterday morning, drove across the state and murdered them. The man she had with her is missing but they found a body in a wooded lot to blocks from where she grabbed the kids and they think it might be him.

drat.
Will be hugging my daughter when I get home this evening.

keykey
Mar 28, 2003

InitialDave posted:

Now, I like Land Rovers, but I have the benefit of being in the UK, where you can fnd parts cheaply and easily (occasionally literally lying in a hedge), so they make more sense than a Jeep, but in the states that's not necessarily the case. I think you need to get the perspective of Americans whove run/worked on/modified them to make that call.

And that's a great point too, thank you for all the info. It would be a weekend toy more than anything since I already have reliable dd's. I have a family of 4 so I was looking towards that direction for space to accommodate people/camping gear/any extras for being out in the middle of nowhere.

CommieGIR posted:

Funny enough, there is a guy nearby that converts Discos to Diesel with VW/Mercedes motors and even has Disco OEM diesel engines.

http://atlanta.craigslist.org/atl/pts/5784804831.html

That ad looks familiar.. Perhaps a little too familiar. Not sure if a scam or he just throws a wide net since it's a seldom sought after thing here in the states?

http://losangeles.craigslist.org/sfv/ctd/5784827331.html

keykey fucked around with this message at 18:03 on Sep 27, 2016

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

keykey posted:

That ad looks familiar.. Perhaps a little too familiar. Not sure if a scam or he just throws a wide net since it's a seldom sought after thing here in the states?

http://losangeles.craigslist.org/sfv/ctd/5784827331.html

I saw it in person so I doubt its a scam, probably just a common kit.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib
BloodBag, condolences. Pets, man... it sure hurts like hell when they go.

bend posted:

news just came in. it is lymphoma, 1-3 months left or we might get him a year with a treatment we cant afford. I'm going to get drunk and feed him treats

Treat him like a king, then euthanize as soon as he's suffering. Remember, animals don't understand "tomorrow", only "right now"... :( We had to put down our cat (my wife's first real pet) a few years back, and I'm really glad that we did it when we did. I'm the only one with the memories of lying on the floor next to her, crying my eyes out, trying to get her to eat some of the 10 types of food/tuna/steak that I had out. She had injection-site fibrosarcoma. RIP: Kunichi.

Obligatory pics of current kittehs:

sharkytm fucked around with this message at 20:01 on Sep 27, 2016

Beverly Cleavage
Jun 22, 2004

I am a pretty pretty princess, watch me do my pretty princess dance....
welp. GBS is back. I done did a thing...

beep-beep car is go
Apr 11, 2005

I can just eyeball this, right?

Beverly Cleavage posted:

welp. GBS is back. I done did a thing...

Name change thread? Me too. We'll see what gets picked for me.

EDIT: YES!

sigtrap
Apr 14, 2002

MOIST
Ugh, my dog is almost 17. Still doing fine and acting happy but I'm not sure how much longer he's got and when he's gone I got nothing.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Cattes

slurry_curry
Nov 26, 2003
<3mini-moni+animu^_^

7 year old Dachshund and our new ~11 week old cat. They are getting along, but I will be be happy when the cat gets older and calms down a bit.

Finally got my new dishwasher, get everything lined up to install it and the power cord from the old one is ~3" to short. It also runs down through the floor into the basement where its wired into a outlet box. I really don't want to pull a entire new cable run and open up the box, but I don't know how I feel about adding ~6" to the end just to make it reach.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher
Next thread OP needs to be chatting around broken rear end Falcons and lots of kitty pics.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

beep-beep car is go posted:

Name change thread? Me too. We'll see what gets picked for me.

EDIT: YES!

Rollin' the dice.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

meatpimp posted:

Rollin' the dice.

what the gently caress

no

where will i seek out my high quality meats now?

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

Enourmo posted:

what the gently caress

no

where will i seek out my high quality meats now?

The name may change, but the quality will remain.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

Better half goes in today for a minor surgical procedure, but won't be out of hospital till Friday. To say I'm worried is an understatement

• Locked thread