Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Business Gorillas posted:

I mean yeah it does I just don't think those implications are really having any demonstrable effect on people. The fact that dwarves are basically a caricature of my ethnicity is something I recognize, but I'm turned off way more from a community who make jew jokes than I am about a picture of a giant nosed dwarf sitting in a pile of gold
How do you think those caricatures that such a community uses proliferate?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

:harambe:

4chan for the first and jrr Tolkien being a racist/antisemite for the second

Doresh
Jan 7, 2015

Avenging Dentist posted:

Another way to handle this sort of thing is to kill off relatively unimportant groups that parallel the main playable factions. No one's going to be too sad if some random chapter that was mentioned maybe twice before gets the axe; certainly not compared to one of the big four. This isn't that interesting on its own, but you can use it to show how so-and-so is really powerful and tie it into a larger plot. You could also have background characters in the main factions get killed off. Maybe such-and-such Cadian general (that doesn't have a model and is just in the fluff) gets assassinated, and now there's a major internal conflict with some mutinous Guardsmen. Now you have an interesting story and more inspiration for some cool army concepts.

This should be approached very carefully as to avoid the "Let's slaughter a couple of our B- and C-listers to make this plot more exciting!"-trend that is ruining super hero event comics. Go Astral Knights or go home.

Avenging Dentist posted:

Even then, if it's a good read, it probably inspires some cool ideas (e.g. Orks with repurposed Tyranid carapaces for armor, Tyranids based on Ork DNA) and still has potential to get tied into the larger plot in some ways. Maybe the Imperium decides to step in and try to stop it because they fear what would happen if the Tyranids and Orks used each other to improve at making war.

I want hooligan Genestealers. Their four arms give them all the dakka.

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

oh my god is that a circular saw that does not go in my mouth aaaaagh

Doresh posted:

This should be approached very carefully as to avoid the "Let's slaughter a couple of our B- and C-listers to make this plot more exciting!"-trend that is ruining super hero event comics. Go Astral Knights or go home.

I think I alluded to this before, but obviously don't emulate anything about comic books. Ever. It's less that "characters dying is always bad" and more that "lovely, cynical plot hooks are bad". Astral Knights are a great example, since no one had any attachment to them to begin with, but their story still helps to emphasize the inherent danger in the world (and even manages to add in a little inspiration for people who want to run a small warband of Astral Knights!).

Doresh posted:

I want hooligan Genestealers. Their four arms give them all the dakka.

If they ever do 40k Blood Bowl, I think we know who the starter box factions will be.

(Do not buy 40k Blood Bowl.)

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!
Why the evil elves gotta be dark elves?

Insert link to the "black ice" sketch here.

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.

Iceclaw posted:

On the other hand, isn't Haqqislam the most enlightened faction in the setting?
Yes. Haqqislam is about the closest thing the setting has to a "good guy" faction. It's an interpretation of Islam that harkens back to the middle ages, where Arab scholars were inventing the number 0 while Europe languished in religiously reactionary, post-Roman stagnation and the Islamic world was the center of science, literature, mathematics, and the arts. The "Search for Knowledge" is enshrined as the culture's loftiest goal, and those who threaten it are likely to run afoul of the Hassassin orders.

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
:patriot:
As I think I've said before in earlier versions of this thread, there is nothing stopping people from painting Guardsmen or Space Marines with dark skin. Their proportions and features are so stylized heroic that they could be basically any race; it's the players/modelers who all paint them with the same skin tone who are deciding that there are no non-white people in their 40k universe.

Doresh
Jan 7, 2015

Avenging Dentist posted:

If they ever do 40k Blood Bowl, I think we know who the starter box factions will be.

Genestealer cheerleaders are twice as effective, because they have four pom-poms.

Indolent Bastard posted:

Why the evil elves gotta be dark elves?

Insert link to the "black ice" sketch here.

It's okay because dark elves actually tend to be the whitest elves around.

(With the exception of D&D)

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

Ilor posted:

Yes. Haqqislam is about the closest thing the setting has to a "good guy" faction. It's an interpretation of Islam that harkens back to the middle ages, where Arab scholars were inventing the number 0 while Europe languished in religiously reactionary, post-Roman stagnation and the Islamic world was the center of science, literature, mathematics, and the arts. The "Search for Knowledge" is enshrined as the culture's loftiest goal, and those who threaten it are likely to run afoul of the Hassassin orders.

So the tabletop / wargaming hobbies in particular have a lot of right-wing grognards in them. Does this actively piss off certain people?

Haqqislam are cool as poo poo.

FrostyPox
Feb 8, 2012

MERCS, which is like Infinity Lite has an African faction. All the factions are megacorporations and one of them is based in Africa and all the models with exposed skin are painted or drawn as black people.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

Apollodorus posted:

As I think I've said before in earlier versions of this thread, there is nothing stopping people from painting Guardsmen or Space Marines with dark skin. Their proportions and features are so stylized heroic that they could be basically any race; it's the players/modelers who all paint them with the same skin tone who are deciding that there are no non-white people in their 40k universe.
Players/Modelers take their prompts from all the guides and setting information that is put out by the creators. 90% of people who are learning to paint follow the lead of the source material, because why wouldn't you do that? Like you say 'Gosh, how do I paint this?' and the picture on the box is all white guys, and you flip through your army book and its all white guys, and then you go to buy some paints and there are nine 'flesh' paints, and the ones that aren't some variation of caucasian are for inhuman races. Ok, the final decision to make your specific miniatures white is because you applied the paint, but let's not pretend all the creative direction provided by the company isn't pointing in one direction.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Business Gorillas posted:

4chan for the first and jrr Tolkien being a racist/antisemite for the second
JRRT was less an antisemite and more a awkward fan of Jewish history. Like a weeaboo making a samurai faction for his setting.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

NTRabbit posted:

What's the problem with the Maori Croc Men? They look fine to me

There are no crocodiles in New Zealand.

Four Score
Feb 27, 2014

by zen death robot
Lipstick Apathy
Hockey Slam are cool dudes for a theocratic sultanate that raises child soldiers, yes

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Me and the boys poppin' down to the shops

Apollodorus posted:

The studio isn't prevented from painting it's armies or commissioning it's art to include black people (or asians, or arabs, or whatever) by the tyranny of a 13 year old's paintbrush.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Avenging Dentist posted:

Even then, if it's a good read, it probably inspires some cool ideas (e.g. Orks with repurposed Tyranid carapaces for armor, Tyranids based on Ork DNA) and still has potential to get tied into the larger plot in some ways. Maybe the Imperium decides to step in and try to stop it because they fear what would happen if the Tyranids and Orks used each other to improve at making war.

I do miss that from around 3rd edition Tyranids, they wanted to revamp the line a it so the new look for the units were around absorbing existing race DNA into the models. Zoanthropes had an Eldar look, Hive Guard were experiments with devoured Space Marine DNA, Biovores were Ork mutations because orks love making things go boom more than anything else in the universe. Now all the Tyranids look more and more like the took the 3rd edition look without any thought to it.

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.

Four Score posted:

Hockey Slam are cool dudes for a theocratic sultanate that raises child soldiers, yes
Hey, them kids weren't doin' nothin' else anyway, so what's the big deal with giving them a little gene-alteration, dumping them in heavy armor, and sending them off to gently caress people up?

Also, you'll note that I didn't say they were a "good guy" faction, I said they were the closest thing the setting has to a "good guy" faction. It's one of the things I really like about the back-story for the game, actually - it's a pretty cynically realistic look at what might happen when a divided human race reaches for the stars. I also like that it breaks a bunch of the standard sci-fi tropes (e.g. by having the US be the technological poo poo-tier army).

hexa
Dec 10, 2004

And the day came when the risk to remain tight in a bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom

Avenging Dentist posted:

I think I alluded to this before, but obviously don't emulate anything about comic books. Ever. It's less that "characters dying is always bad" and more that "lovely, cynical plot hooks are bad". Astral Knights are a great example, since no one had any attachment to them to begin with, but their story still helps to emphasize the inherent danger in the world (and even manages to add in a little inspiration for people who want to run a small warband of Astral Knights!).

I've wanted to do a BB Vampire team, with Stealers as the Vamps and cultists as the Thralls.

Now there are new Cult models, I'm half tempted to do a Necromantic team using them...

fnordcircle
Jul 7, 2004

PTUI
Silver Tower had a black dude in it :shoban:

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC
All the studio Flagellants and Warrior Priests got repainted for Sigmar and were given a variety of skintones. The Khorne Bloodbound guys also tend to be a range of different tones.

Speaking of the Silver Tower dude though, would anyone have a screenshot of that one Neo-Nazi weirdo having a meltdown on the AoS Facebook when they officially revealed the minis? Comment thread seems to have vanished from the page.

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
:patriot:
Oh my God I need to see that.

Captain Rufus
Sep 16, 2005

CAPTAIN WORD SALAD

OFF MY MEDS AGAIN PLEASE DON'T USE BIG WORDS

UNNECESSARY LINE BREAK

Apollodorus posted:

Oh my God I need to see that.

It's another reason Arcane Legions was cool. The 3 core factions were Roman, Egyptian, and Chinese. So nobody was Whitey McWhitewhite.

I wished Hell Dorado had gotten popular as I loving loved their Middle Eastern faction. It was totally MODERN PRINCE OF PERSIAS THE MINIS FACTION. Or at least ps2 era ones anyhow. They had a bird mini and the bird was ripping a spine out of a body because the game was loving hardcore to the point Asmodee didn't want anything to do with it. Like good creepy and hosed up to Kingdom Death's bad creepy. I mean the basic setting concept was "Spanish Conquistadors find a portal to Hell. And invade the gently caress out of it for Jesus. Mayhem ensues". Though I think it got some bad press in France for making a Gilles De Rais figure for the line.

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Captain Rufus posted:

It's another reason Arcane Legions was cool. The 3 core factions were Roman, Egyptian, and Chinese. So nobody was Whitey McWhitewhite.

I wished Hell Dorado had gotten popular as I loving loved their Middle Eastern faction.

Yeah, I still have the Saracens and the atheist Hell demons that are fighting for independence from Lucifer.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

My entire Tomb Kings army is composed of black people. Obviously, I mean people who have lived in a sunbleached equitorial desert for at least thousands of years would have very dark skin out of necessity.

I mean, you can't tell by looking at their skeletons, but they're the skeletons of black people.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Leperflesh posted:

My entire Tomb Kings army is composed of black people. Obviously, I mean people who have lived in a sunbleached equitorial desert for at least thousands of years would have very dark skin out of necessity.

I mean, you can't tell by looking at their skeletons, but they're the skeletons of black people.

actually you often can determine race by looking at someone's skeleton. If you know a lot about skeleton

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.
"I keep the bones of dozens of black people in my closet," says local poster.

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

oh my god is that a circular saw that does not go in my mouth aaaaagh
It's ok though, they're very small

Captain Rufus
Sep 16, 2005

CAPTAIN WORD SALAD

OFF MY MEDS AGAIN PLEASE DON'T USE BIG WORDS

UNNECESSARY LINE BREAK

Avenging Dentist posted:

It's ok though, they're very small

Better than the old GW Pygmy line. Jesus that list was loving 89-91 timeframe. It woulda been WTF NO in the 60s! (Unless you lived in the South of the US. Bible Belt means them good Christian values of being a racist dickhead I guess. )

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

Eh. Gollywogs were popular and accepted in the UK until the early 1980s, and even well after that. That isn't to say there was anything defensible about the Pygmy line, just that the UK was cool with lovely stuff for longer than you might think.

Hra Mormo
Mar 6, 2008

The Internet Man

Ashcans posted:

Eh. Gollywogs were popular and accepted in the UK until the early 1980s, and even well after that. That isn't to say there was anything defensible about the Pygmy line, just that the UK was cool with lovely stuff for longer than you might think.

Yeah, political correctness regarding racial stereotypes developed much earlier in the US. Hell, back in the 90s basically every store around where I live sold a certain chocolate confection called a Black person's Kiss. That's 1990s. And the words they used wasn't "Black person's" if you know what I mean.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

I enjoy seeing the Regimental Standard show up on facebook with delightful posts like this or this. Each post gets a lot of haha reactions and I like to imagine some of them are from mocking how low GW's fiction has become that they have to try real hard with the obvious satire since the rest of it is taken seriously. The obvious punchline to all this is that if they were serious about being satirical about their own universe, it would be written by the space marines and not the punching bag IG faction.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Chill la Chill posted:

I enjoy seeing the Regimental Standard show up on facebook with delightful posts like this or this. Each post gets a lot of haha reactions and I like to imagine some of them are from mocking how low GW's fiction has become that they have to try real hard with the obvious satire since the rest of it is taken seriously. The obvious punchline to all this is that if they were serious about being satirical about their own universe, it would be written by the space marines and not the punching bag IG faction.
Nah, it wouldn't work with space marines. Guardsmen get given things like the Uplifting Primer rather than an actual education in what their foes are and what they can do. Space marines get real information and training, not pure propaganda.

Doresh
Jan 7, 2015

Safety Factor posted:

Nah, it wouldn't work with space marines. Guardsmen get given things like the Uplifting Primer rather than an actual education in what their foes are and what they can do. Space marines get real information and training, not pure propaganda.

Why lecture your cannon fodder if you can just tell them to point their flashlights in that direction and keep shooting at anything that moves?

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

oh don't worry, I can't smell asparagus piss, it's in my DNA

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

Hra Mormo posted:

Yeah, political correctness regarding racial stereotypes developed much earlier in the US. Hell, back in the 90s basically every store around where I live sold a certain chocolate confection called a Black person's Kiss. That's 1990s. And the words they used wasn't "Black person's" if you know what I mean.

:confused: Why would they sell a candy called "African American Kiss" in the UK?

Doresh
Jan 7, 2015

Hra Mormo posted:

True story: My mother hails from a small village, and the US forces stationed nearby included an African-American officer. Everyone had a "Don't mention the war"-type of moment where they didn't want to tell him the true name of this candy. Until another villager who wasn't in on the joke just said it. The officer could be heard laughing his rear end off throughout most of the village on his return to the garrison.

Coolness Averted posted:

:confused: Why would they sell a candy called "African American Kiss" in the UK?

We Germans have weird naming conventions for our candies and pastries. You can eat Berliner (jelly donut thing) and even Americans (big soft cookie thing with frosting or chocolate on top) over here.

(An alternative name for this kiss candy is "Moor's Head", which is also the name for a couple birds, so I dunno what to think about that one.)

Doresh fucked around with this message at 20:17 on Sep 28, 2016

Bistromatic
Oct 3, 2004

And turn the inner eye
To see its path...
In a small Hessian town in tyool 2014 i saw vanilla ice with chocolate glazing being advertised as Eisneger. I did a doubletake when i first passed that sign but in retrospect i probably shouldn't have been as surprised.

Doresh
Jan 7, 2015

Bistromatic posted:

In a small Hessian town in tyool 2014 i saw vanilla ice with chocolate glazing being advertised as Eisneger. I did a doubletake when i first passed that sign but in retrospect i probably shouldn't have been as surprised.

That's a new one for me.

There also exist versions with white and brown chocolate, though I have yet to see those with more questionable names than "Chocolate Kiss" or "Foam Kiss".

Fish and Chimps
Feb 16, 2012

mmmfff
Fun Shoe
A poll on one of the largest news sites in Denmark showed that 90% of respondents thought using the word "negro" was perfectly acceptable. The poll was made as a reaction to the national art gallery updating their descriptions of classical paintings to replace the word "negro" with "black".

The entire nation was up in arms when a candy manufacturer was thinking of maybe discontinuing the liquorice made in the shapes of different ethnic stereotypes from colonial times.

Europeans don't give a poo poo about black people yo

Edit: we had a candy called "negro kisses" as well until recently. Most people still call them that even though the official name has been changed.

Doresh
Jan 7, 2015

Fish and Chimps posted:

A poll on one of the largest news sites in Denmark showed that 90% of respondents thought using the word "negro" was perfectly acceptable. The poll was made as a reaction to the national art gallery updating their descriptions of classical paintings to replace the word "negro" with "black".

I think we have this type of discussion any time a book publisher decides to update some classic piece of child literature. I'm pretty sure we weren't the only ones where "Should we rename the King of the Negroes from Pippi Longstocking?" was a thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jeb Bush 2012
Apr 4, 2007

A mathematician, like a painter or poet, is a maker of patterns. If his patterns are more permanent than theirs, it is because they are made with ideas.

Fish and Chimps posted:

The entire nation was up in arms when a candy manufacturer was thinking of maybe discontinuing the liquorice made in the shapes of different ethnic stereotypes from colonial times.

Europeans don't give a poo poo about black people yo

Edit: we had a candy called "negro kisses" as well until recently. Most people still call them that even though the official name has been changed.

Just try talking to a dutch person about their blackface christmas bullshit

• Locked thread