Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
will_colorado
Jun 30, 2007

tonight Arenado became the fourth player in baseball history to have back to back 40+HR/130+RBI seasons at age 25 or younger:

A-rod, Jimmie Foxx, and Chuck Klein are the others.

:stare::stare::stare::stare:

will_colorado fucked around with this message at 06:35 on Sep 29, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

davecrazy posted:

If there is a god the mets win will the wild card, play in game, and then beat the cubs with a bunch of no name pitchers.
You'll settle for eliminating the Giants and you'll be happy about it.

CubsWoo
Aug 17, 2005

Where the big boys RAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRGH FUCK YOU
With 3-4 games left here's every potential playoff team's final possibilities:

AL

Texas (94-65) - Won AL West, ALDS home field magic number 1 (CLE), ALCS home field magic number 2 (BOS), final games MIL, TBR(3)
Boston (92-66) - Won AL East, ALDS home field magic number 3 (CLE), final games @NYY, TOR(3)
Cleveland (91-66) - Won AL Central, do not control their ALDS/CS home field destiny, final games @DET, @KCR(3)

Toronto (87-71) - Current WC1, WC magic number 3 (DET, SEA), final games BAL, @BOS(3)
Baltimore (86-72) - Current WC2, WC magic number 4 (DET, SEA), final games @TOR, @NYY(3)

Detroit (85-73) - 1GB, Elimination number 4, final games CLE, @ATL(3)
Seattle (84-74) - 2GB, Elimination number 3, final games OAK(4)
Houston (83-76), 3.5GB, Elimination number 1, final games @LAA(3)
New York Yankees (82-76), 4GB, Elimination number 1, final games BOS, BAL(3)

NL

Chicago Cubs (101-57) - Won NL Central, NLDS/NLCS home field clinched, final games @PIT, @CIN(3)
Washington (92-66) - Won NL East, NLDS home field magic number 3, final games ARI, MIA(3)
Los Angeles Dodgers (90-68) - Won NL West, do not control their NLDS home field destiny, final games @SDP, @SFG(3)

New York Mets (85-74) - Current WC1, WC magic number 2 (STL), final games @PHI(3)
San Francisco Giants (83-75) - Current WC2, WC magic number 4 (STL), final games COL, LAD(3)

St. Louis Cardinals (82-76) - 1GB, Elimination number 4, final games CIN, PIT(3)

Shiroc
May 16, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
I have tickets for the last Mariners game of the season. I'm trying to figure out if the most Mariners end to the season is to get swept by the A's at home or to win all 4 games, but have the Orioles knock them out by winning on Sunday in the middle of the 7th or 8th inning of the Seattle game.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

Shiroc posted:

I have tickets for the last Mariners game of the season. I'm trying to figure out if the most Mariners end to the season is to get swept by the A's at home or to win all 4 games, but have the Orioles knock them out by winning on Sunday in the middle of the 7th or 8th inning of the Seattle game.

Considering that all fifteen game 162s start the same time, the latter scenario is unlikely.

Shiroc
May 16, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

Some Numbers posted:

Considering that all fifteen game 162s start the same time, the latter scenario is unlikely.

Not every game is going to take the same amount of time, which is why the other game ending when the Mariners are still in 7-9 seems plausible.

Pancakes
May 21, 2001

Crypto-Rump Roast

Kevlar v2.0 posted:

Your sad mug was shown across the nation :allears:

I have Resting Concerned Face, it's not my fault. Alternately, you try looking happy when your team keeps on bringing in Jonathan Broxton to pitch. :colbert:

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

Poque posted:

yo gently caress TBD for reals

I need the Braves to be relevant again so I can watch the Cubs play a playoff game in Atlanta for 20 bucks in good seats I bought on Stubhub 3 hours before the game.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!

Shiroc posted:

Not every game is going to take the same amount of time, which is why the other game ending when the Mariners are still in 7-9 seems plausible.

Maybe they're going to stop the game after each out and wait until all games have the same number of outs, you don't know

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

CubsWoo posted:

With 3-4 games left here's every potential playoff team's final possibilities:

The important math:

Yankees go 4-0 (one vs. Red Sox, three vs. Orioles)
Orioles go 0-4 (one vs. Blue Jays, three vs. Yankees)
Tigers go 1-3 or worse (one vs. Indians, three vs. Braves)
Mariners go 2-2 or worse (four vs. Athletics)
Astros go 2-1 or worse (three vs. Angels)

Result: Yankees tie with Baltimore for the second WC. :getin:

Walked
Apr 14, 2003

Inspector_666 posted:

The important math:

Yankees go 4-0 (one vs. Red Sox, three vs. Orioles)
Orioles go 0-4 (one vs. Blue Jays, three vs. Yankees)

This is far, far more likely than I'd like to admit.

Even though we have a good poo poo at WC #2, I'm having a really tough time watching this team at this point.

:smithicide:

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Walked posted:

This is far, far more likely than I'd like to admit.

Even though we have a good poo poo at WC #2, I'm having a really tough time watching this team at this point.

:smithicide:

I don't see us sweeping you guys, but sweeping the Sox would be great even if it's meaningless.

ozymandius1024
Mar 15, 2006

You don't yank on the Spine of God

Inspector_666 posted:

I don't see us sweeping you guys, but sweeping the Sox would be great even if it's meaningless.

Please do sweep them :smith: (Osunaaaaa :doom: )

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
So I don't know much about baseball scouting....how on earth did Mike Trout fall so far in the draft? I'm reading through some of his draft profiles and whatnot and they're all very excited (obviously)...I get that he was a high schooler and it is hard to project that and so on but based on his career trajectory he must have been borderline major league ready as a high schooler. Harper was tagged as a future superstar from the time he was like 13, what was the difference between him and Trout as far as scouting went?

Gobias Ind.
Apr 5, 2007

If your girlfriend says hey to me that's our girlfriend now idc
Trout is from New Jersey.

This was actually a reason. No good players had ever come from Jersey.

RKRGoat
Jun 20, 2003

bewbies posted:

So I don't know much about baseball scouting....how on earth did Mike Trout fall so far in the draft? I'm reading through some of his draft profiles and whatnot and they're all very excited (obviously)...I get that he was a high schooler and it is hard to project that and so on but based on his career trajectory he must have been borderline major league ready as a high schooler. Harper was tagged as a future superstar from the time he was like 13, what was the difference between him and Trout as far as scouting went?

The Orioles took this dude http://www.baseball-reference.com/register/player.cgi?id=rowell001wil who flamed out, and then everyone was paranoid about drafting anyone else who came from that league (Trout).

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen

bewbies posted:

The post below yours is correct. Literally, it's because he was from New Jersey, and not a state where someone can play baseball year-round (California, Nevada, Florida, Texas, etc). They thought his skills weren't to the level of the other guys for that reason.

Literally the reason was geographic location.

BigBallChunkyTime fucked around with this message at 15:10 on Sep 29, 2016

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Inspector_666 posted:

Considering the Sox are starting Henry Owens today this is incredibly likely.

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

Retail Slave posted:

The post below yours is correct. Literally, it's because he was from New Jersey, and not a state where someone can play baseball year-round (California, Nevada, Florida, Texas, etc). They thought his skills weren't to the level of the other guys for that reason.

Literally the reason was geographic location.

Someone also described his build/speed combo as: It's hard to believe anyone that large can move that fast. SO I think some scouts also assumed he'd be like any number of other large outfielders who were fast at 18 but below average by the time they turned 25.

Hell, the Angels had a pick immediately before Mike Trout and they didn't even use it to pick Mike Trout so, technically, they passed on him just like everybody else.

Josh Byrnes had 5 picks in the first round that year (including supplemental picks) and the best he could do was AJ Pollock and Chris Owings. Baseballing is hard.

tadashi fucked around with this message at 15:24 on Sep 29, 2016

RKRGoat
Jun 20, 2003

tadashi posted:

Someone also described his build/speed combo as: It's hard to believe anyone that large can move that fast. SO I think some scouts also assumed he'd be like any number of other large outfielders who were fast at 18 but below average by the time they turned 25.

Hell, the Angels had a pick immediately before Mike Trout and they didn't even use it to pick Mike Trout so, technically, they passed on him just like everybody else.

Josh Byrnes had 5 picks in the first round that year (including supplemental picks) and the best he could do was AJ Pollock and Chris Owings. Baseballing is hard.

This also has a bunch of GM's comments on Trout at the time:

http://www.baseballprospectus.com/article.php?articleid=28649

As an A's fan, the following is unpleasant:

quote:

Relevant: A's general manager Billy Beane was sufficiently intrigued to make the cross-country trip and watch Trout in a game for his Millville (N.J.) High team. ‘It wasn't a great day,’ said Beane. ‘I think he went 0-for-5, and we didn't even get a chance to see him run down the line. But you could see his makeup, as a teammate. Our guys loved him. Mark Sauer, our area scout, was on him strong.’” Also, “He was one of our guys, actually. He was one of the three guys we were talking about drafting—Trout, Green and Mike Leake."

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
So I kind of get the location bias, but didn't Trout wreck everyone he played against in national tournaments too? Or was that just too small of a sample size to project from?

ozymandius1024
Mar 15, 2006

You don't yank on the Spine of God
Here are the top WAR seasons by position players since Trout's first full season in 2012:
10.8 - Trout
10.5 - Trout
9.9 - Bryce Harper
9.4 - Trout
9.4 - Mookie Betts
9.3 - Trout

He's been so loving good that I can't wrap my head around it. I really hope he stays reasonably healthy for his career, because I can't wait to see what his career stats look like, and the amount of records he shatters.

Good Dog
Oct 16, 2008

Who threw this cat at me?
Clapping Larry

tadashi posted:

5 of the Angels first 6 picks (they had 5 first rounders too) that year. Randal Grichuk, Mike Trout, Tyler Skaggs, Garrett Richards, Patrick Corbin.

The next year they also had 5 first round picks and missed on everything, unless Cowart somehow turns his career around or Bedrosian turns into the relief ace people have been saying he'll be for the last 3 years. Bedrock had a very good year this year so maybe he'll keep it together.

Senf
Nov 12, 2006

RKRGoat posted:

As an A's fan, the following is unpleasant:

Don't remind me :smith:

Der Meister
May 12, 2001

Something called a Greg Reynolds was selected before Kershaw in 2006, most recently playing for the Saitama Seibu Lions of course. He's been a free agent for a few years now.

Edit: also Brad Lincoln and Brandon Morrow.

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

3/18/2023: Day of the Dorks
Cardinals don't deserve to make the playoffs when the Reds keep beating them.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

The Cardinals and the Mets are both loving up the 3 way tie :mad:

Regnevelc
Jan 12, 2003

I'M A GROWN ASS MAN!

Nail Rat posted:

Did any Cubs fans here get picked for the NLDS lottery? Because I hate you :mad:

I am not a Cubs fan, but nope.

I'll sign up for NLCS if they get there and then just sell them to some Cubs fans here that didn't get one.

Mike_V posted:

They don't deserve to make the playoffs for doing jack loving poo poo this offseason.

Pancakes
May 21, 2001

Crypto-Rump Roast

Mike_V posted:

Last night was pretty sad. Down one, one out runners on second and third in the 8th, no runs score. Same score, leadoff triple in the bottom of the 9th and no runs score. Just disappointing.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

Regnevelc posted:

I'll sign up for NLCS if they get there and then just sell them to some Cubs fans here that didn't get one.

If you already signed up, no need to, they keep everyone's name in and draw 3000 names from each of the 1M+ entrants each round.

If you haven't signed up, you should do so because the signup cutoff for NLCS is actually noon of the day of NLDS game 1.

TheIncredulousHulk
Sep 3, 2012

bewbies posted:

So I kind of get the location bias, but didn't Trout wreck everyone he played against in national tournaments too? Or was that just too small of a sample size to project from?

IIRC he played football instead of getting big into the fall showcase circuit so there wasn't much to go off of from that either

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Gobias Ind. posted:

Trout is from New Jersey.

This was actually a reason. No good players had ever come from Jersey.

This is a decent enough reason as Jersey is a bad state for losers

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

I've only been in NJ once, taking a train from Newark to Manhattan and back. I swear they must have filmed The Road in NJ if that train ride was representative. Garbage everywhere, broken asphalt, industrial decay and sad looking trees.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

TheIncredulousHulk posted:

IIRC he played football instead of getting big into the fall showcase circuit so there wasn't much to go off of from that either

It's funny how much this stuff tanked Trout's draft stock, whereas if you read "The Arm", he's practically Passan's platonic ideal for a high schooler (well, minus the "being a pitcher" thing.)

Dr. Fraiser Chain
May 18, 2004

Redlining my shit posting machine

The ridiculousness of scouting is a fun part of baseball. Why didn't team draft player? He lives in New Jersey/has an unattractive girlfriend/intangibles

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

Nail Rat posted:

The Cardinals and the Mets are both loving up the 3 way tie :mad:

And the Giants somehow got shut out by the team with the 3rd worst ERA in baseball. Nobody wants to win the NL Wild Card.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen

Senf posted:

Don't remind me :smith:

Yeah, but literally every team has dozens of "we could have had this guy, but instead drafted this guy" instances.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Retail Slave posted:

Yeah, but literally every team has dozens of "we could have had this guy, but instead drafted this guy" instances.

I mean, poo poo, the Angels only had the pick they used on Trout because the Yankees signed Teixeira.

(At least Tex got a ring!)

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Honestly, I'd say the most impressive thing about Trout has been his improvements in the outfield. I think myself and a ton of other people had all but guaranteed that he'd be out of Center Field full time by now due to getting bigger/slower and his terrible baby arm. Not only has his range stuck round but his arm is actually way better (it's still not great).

Guy's probably gonna stick in center until his low 30s probably.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scob
Jul 17, 2005

i know its said every year in the lol way but the nl is really garbabge, the cubs are the only good team

• Locked thread