Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Old Binsby
Jun 27, 2014

Torabi posted:

For some reason they aren't updating the track rotation list in the Skip Barber forum. So I can't tell which tracks are about to leave rotation. Was thinking of getting three tracks since I haven't bought anything for iRacing in ages. Le Mans, Imola (Though I am a bit uncertain about this one since it doesn't look THAT interesting, but maybe I am missing something), and a third track. Any other recommendations?

Depends on what you own. I adore Zandvoort (half because it's local, half because it's a cool track), mid ohio, twin ring. But all of those are either already out or going out of rotation soon in the skip series. Can't go wrong with the long nurburgring though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

poshphil
Jun 17, 2005

Torabi posted:

For some reason they aren't updating the track rotation list in the Skip Barber forum. So I can't tell which tracks are about to leave rotation. Was thinking of getting three tracks since I haven't bought anything for iRacing in ages. Le Mans, Imola (Though I am a bit uncertain about this one since it doesn't look THAT interesting, but maybe I am missing something), and a third track. Any other recommendations?

The Schedule for 2016s4 thread has the rotation, although it hasn't been stickied and isn't shown in the nice way it used to be done:

The following tracks were added this season and will be used for 2 more seasons after this season:
- Le Mans
- Watkins Glen
- Sebring

The following tracks are on their 2nd appearance and will be used for 1 more season:
- Imola
- Donington Park
- New Hampshire Motor Speedway

The following tracks will be used for the last time this season:
- Sonoma Raceway
- Canadian Tire Motorsport Park
- Mid-Ohio
- Nordschleife

Boar It
Jul 29, 2011

Mesmerizing eyebrows is my specialty
Thanks for the tips. I'm getting Le Mans, Sebring and Watkins glen. Figured I can get the three tracks that will let me race the skippy the most these coming seasons.

Evrim
Nov 15, 2005

yum!!
Can't go wrong with Sebring or Watkins Glen. Haven't tried the Le Mans track yet, maybe pack a book to read during those straights.

Roller Coast Guard
Aug 27, 2006

With this magnificent aircraft,
and my magnificent facial hair,
the British Empire will never fall!

Evrim posted:

Can't go wrong with Sebring or Watkins Glen. Haven't tried the Le Mans track yet, maybe pack a book to read during those straights.

In the Skip Barber, yeah, endless slipstreaming wars in slow motion.

The Science Goy
Mar 27, 2007

Where did you learn to drive?

Evrim posted:

Sebring and Glen are good purchases, as they are used in most road series (and Glen is used for Tube Frame Twister which should be an official series because it owns). The jury is still out for Le Mans.

Kamel is a pretty awesome series. I did a race yesterday in the Audi, and had some great fighting for the lead with a 5k iR driver. He was a bit more consistent than me, and handled the Nissan traffic more efficiently, but either of us could have taken the win. He passed me when I overcooked one of the 90° corners, and after a few over-under passes he held the lead and I couldn't make a move. One minor mistake or slow pass would have flipped the race - really good stuff.

I may try to make the broadcast split this week, to give BearPope some possible screen time (when I become a rolling roadblock for the Nissan leaders)

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Tubeframe Twister was a good series til they added the Aston Martin and the radical. Now it's just a week 13 road series with a few oval cars sometimes.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Looks like more pitcrew animations are coming [img-soonclock]

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F0verNgmcpQ

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

Reminder to those who've applied to GoonCar. Be sure to message an admin/mod in iRacing with your Goon name and if you want a personal number.

IceAgeComing
Jan 29, 2013

pretty fucking embarrassing to watch
If you'd rather send a forums PM then feel free to PM me; although I'm not racing at the moment I'm still a league mod and can do poo poo like that

Boar It
Jul 29, 2011

Had my first good race in a skippy in ages. Started 12th, reached 7th and then overtook a guy which is rare for me. Not like it matters since I had to slow down to let the leader past and then the guy I passed decided to ram me during the last lap. Finished 8th but it could have been much better.. The joys of being stuck in the lowest split. Not implying I deserve to be in a higher split but it still sucks. :v:

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Donington is just annoying to race in the skip. I really like the track but several parts of the track allow you to draft up to be ready for an overtake just to head into a part of a track that isn't good for overtaking. Or it's possible to overtake, but people don't use their spotter/mirrors/relative window and just run their hotlap line. I made an overtake move into turn four or whichever that right hander before the gantry with the big dong car on top. I took the inside and stayed inside and then the guy to my left who I had been right next to all the way down into the corner drove his normal apex and took me out. I always say I'm going to stop taking risks with people who drive faster than their car number would suggest but I fall for it every time.

IceAgeComing
Jan 29, 2013

pretty fucking embarrassing to watch
I think you're talking about the Old Hairpin and that's really somewhere that's pretty hard to pass, although it doesn't really justify that sort of move. In other sims (don't own it in iracing) I've found that the only places that you can really pass are into Redgate (turn 1) into the chicane, maybe into the turns on the backside of the track and if you're running the GP circuit maybe into the Melbourne Hairpin.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Old hairpin seems to be the one I'm talking about. I normally wouldn't try to pass on a corner like that but I had the position and didn't feel like giving up. I passed another guy at the chicane. I'm guessing he has a single monitor because when I got along side for the corner, he drove as far to the outside edge as possible and ended up losing another spot in addition to the one I took. There really should be some sort of symbol on the relative that shows if someone is using single, triples, or a VR headset. It would allow people to know how they can drive around someone. If I see someone has triples or VR, I'll take more risks. If someone is just single monitor, I'll give them a wide berth since they just go into every corner blind anyway.

Boar It
Jul 29, 2011

The good news is that both my iRating and SR went up at least. IR went up by 6 which isn't a lot but still. I also tried the three tracks I got. They are all great. Especially watkins glen. Really digging those sweeping turns.

Boar It fucked around with this message at 21:35 on Oct 3, 2016

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

You can set up an overtake into the old hairpin, get close to someone, try to stress them out then just drive past when they inevitably go in too hot and end up on the grass.

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go
The best approach for driving Donington is to be a lap down, let a guy on the lead lap past, pick up his draft, then not back your corner up to account for the increase in speed and smack into the back of him heading into the chicane.

I was one of the two cars in that sentence. Not sure it matters which - neither guy's having a very good day after that one.

The Science Goy
Mar 27, 2007

Big surprise, especially before Black Friday - bonus credits are back for October.

quote:

Pick up some Bonus Credits now and save some cash. You can use these credits to purchase cars and tracks, extend your membership, or purchase hosted sessions. Take advantage of this special offer before time runs out!

Buy $20, get $5: PR-25CREDITOCTOBER

Buy $75, get $25: PR-100CREDITOCTOBER

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Thanks for posting that.

Take my money, iRacing. :homebrew:

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

My sub just expired.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Larrymer posted:

Thanks for posting that.

Take my money, iRacing. :homebrew:

Yep, it's a good way to get a year or two of membership cheap too depending on what they'll charge

OhsH
Jan 12, 2008

njsykora posted:

My sub just expired.

mine expires tomorrow.

The Science Goy
Mar 27, 2007

tater_salad posted:

Yep, it's a good way to get a year or two of membership cheap too depending on what they'll charge

I'm going to get in on this deal, then hope for a membership sale around Black Friday or January. It's a long shot, but I just renewed fairly recently so I can wait.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

tater_salad posted:

I'll probably just do the black friday 2 year re-up if they do it again. I did that the first time for a two year deal so I still have a little left on that.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

When I re-subscribed it was in Oct of last year for 3 months then in Nov I bought 1 year so I can hold out to black Friday or Christmas sales.

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about

Vando posted:

It's that time again, it's a new Gooncar Championship season!

(Times in UK time, 10th race tbc but almost certainly an oval for an even split)

:siren: New scoring rules! :siren:

To make the championship a bit closer beyond 'who can show up to the most races', this season will have a system where a driver's three worst scores are dropped. I'll have to do this manually so if I gently caress it up yell at me, but it should be ok as it'll mostly be 'didn't show up to a race, scored 0 pts' for most people anyway. Only other caveat is that the three scores can't all be from one track type (so can't be 3 road or 3 oval, but can be any 2:1 split otherwise).

Everyone get hype, first race is tonight at Lime Rock which we're all familiar with so :getin:

Calendar update! USA and Iowa have been requested to be swapped and given that nobody complained, it's now done. Next race is at Iowa on Sunday GET THE HECK IN

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Many people on mumble objected since it was for coja's benefit.

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about

Larrymer posted:

Many people on mumble objected since it was for coja's benefit.

I CAN'T TELL IF THIS IS REAL OR NOT GOD DAMMIT :argh:

OhsH
Jan 12, 2008
Hahaha, my account lapsed and i have to buy a month before i can get the bonus credits deal, nah, i'll just wait until im actually back in town for gooncar.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

I haven't done a race in almost a month. I think it's time to piss off some folks in truck tonight.

The Science Goy
Mar 27, 2007

I'm so glad I hopped into the broadcast Kamel GT split, because of this minute of video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5jyv9xmflGQ&t=1491s

"serious business, indeed"

Also, these shenanigans happened with a few minutes to go:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5jyv9xmflGQ&t=2108s

It's a minor miracle that I had no contact incidents and just one 0x with under a minute left on the clock.

E: had to adjust timestamps, they edited the video

The Science Goy fucked around with this message at 12:34 on Oct 7, 2016

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go
You had a great run, that's a really good drive. Good dodge of that wreck there, too.

You had them change your name, right? I just have this memory of it being Case Face2 and now it's Case J Face. Am I mis-remembering? (Obviously 99% of the people reading this know both of our real names, but, you know, etiquette.)

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

He probably has 2 accounts so he can run rookie series races and get race wins.

Like the weird oval racer that said he did that in my session the other day. :wtc:

The Science Goy
Mar 27, 2007

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

You had a great run, that's a really good drive. Good dodge of that wreck there, too.

You had them change your name, right? I just have this memory of it being Case Face2 and now it's Case J Face. Am I mis-remembering? (Obviously 99% of the people reading this know both of our real names, but, you know, etiquette.)

Correct - I had a 3 month sub, never bought any content, then got a free year code from the old thread that was only valid for new memberships, hence the 2. For whatever reason, they couldn't change my old membership name to something else and let me just drop the 2 on my active account, which is what I wanted them to do.

Larrymer posted:

He probably has 2 accounts so he can run rookie series races and get race wins.

Like the weird oval racer that said he did that in my session the other day. :wtc:

That's exactly why I wanted to drop the 2 - there are a surprising amount of people who do dumb stuff like that, and I don't want to be placed in that bucket of stupid.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

The Science Goy posted:

Correct - I had a 3 month sub, never bought any content, then got a free year code from the old thread that was only valid for new memberships, hence the 2. For whatever reason, they couldn't change my old membership name to something else and let me just drop the 2 on my active account, which is what I wanted them to do.

That's exactly why I'm Larrymer2. Who did you contact to do this? I'd love to not have the 2 anymore. Or if I have to be good and do a real streamed series, well, never mind. :v:

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
You just have to email them and ask for a name that isn't taken. That's how I got my name changed to my actual name and how Ohsh got his changed from his mom's name.

The Science Goy
Mar 27, 2007

You just need to email iRacing support.

Cojawfee posted:

how Ohsh got his changed from his mom's name.

I liked it better the old way

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Cojawfee posted:

You just have to email them and ask for a name that isn't taken. That's how I got my name changed to my actual name and how Ohsh got his changed from his mom's name.

lol was that a real thing? Oh man, I arrived too late.

OhsH
Jan 12, 2008
Thanks guys

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harveygod
Jan 4, 2014

YEEAAH HEH HEH HEEEHH

YOU KNOW WHAT I'M SAYIN

THIS TRASH WAR AIN'T GONNA SOLVE ITSELF YA KNOW
"What's this charge for 'iRacing'?"

"Uh, it's an iTunes thing."