Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:

FractalSandwich posted:

Had this game passed the Bechdel test before that conversation between Welch and Limb, or did it take nine and a half hours just to get that far?
"a FETUS!" yells the fourth-dimensional god-being at the traumatised child

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010

90s Cringe Rock posted:

"a FETUS!" yells the fourth-dimensional god-being at the traumatised child
yes, this is exactly the kind of positive representation of women that games need more of. I'm glad you agree

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
I'm glad Wet and Sam Raimi are really committed to their fake relationship.

Pork Lift
Oct 9, 2007

Winner of the 2012
:dong: Highway Traffic :dong:
Prediction Razzies

Mega64 posted:

I'm glad Wet and Sam Raimi are really committed to their fake relationship.

Like wateyad and I

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

Pork Lift posted:

Like wateyad and I

Your fake love is the realest I know. Wateylift 4 eva

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

I'll continue to watch this LP willingly and on purpose

wateyad
Nov 17, 2007

The power of the Outsider is

...dat ass
:yosbutt:
Episode 24: "Let's Hope There Are No Random Encounters"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TShgEqnpZhQ

Thesaya
May 17, 2011

I am a Plant.
So, we're either on planet cyberpunk or planet Borg. Or something else. I am personally hoping for cyberpunk.

Poulpe
Nov 11, 2006
Canadian Santa Extraordinaire
I picked up Star Ocean 5 on a whim because it was on sale.
Hoooo boy. Saying that SO4 is actually pretty good in comparison should be testament enough to what a hot mess that game is.

The only saving grace is that for the first time in the series the main female protag deviates a bit from "sheepish/demure waifu" personality-wise.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!

Poulpe posted:

Hoooo boy. Saying that SO4 is actually pretty good in comparison should be testament enough to what a hot mess that game is.

The only saving grace is that for the first time in the series the main female protag deviates a bit from "sheepish/demure waifu" personality-wise.

I'm sorry? Star Ocean 5 has a lot of problems, most notably an incredibly obvious lack of budget, but I have a hard time calling it a worse game than SO4. The combat feels better (if a bit messy due to up to 7 people fighting at once), the crafting systems open up MUCH faster, you get your full party much faster, and in general it doesn't waste nearly as much of your time.

Poulpe
Nov 11, 2006

Artix posted:

I'm sorry? Star Ocean 5 has a lot of problems, most notably an incredibly obvious lack of budget, but I have a hard time calling it a worse game than SO4. The combat feels better (if a bit messy due to up to 7 people fighting at once), the crafting systems open up MUCH faster, you get your full party much faster, and in general it doesn't waste nearly as much of your time.

It just feels like everything added to the game was done as lazily as possible, and the things they did do don't matter!
  1. The plot is so simple and the characters have next to no motivation for the things they do, and so far literally nobody has actual in-plot characterization
  2. Except in very rare scenarios all plot is done in voiced lines while your character is able to haplessly walk within a zone of invisible barriers, all of these are unskippable
  3. 90% of the gameplay is walking between the four towns they could afford to put in the game, with the occasional dungeon stapled on nearby
  4. Combat itself is simplified with AI-adjusting "role assignment" for strategizing your MMO battle team (which is always well received in every RPG it's in)
  5. Most bosses have wide aoe instakill attacks to try to add any relevancy to said role assigment system
  6. "Protect the party member" scenes, when all enemies beeline for that character and, again, you have at best limited control of your allies through AI roles
  7. Crafting is pointless unless you choose to do postgame, you really don't need the bonuses it affords you, and even if you want to break the game over your knee you can simply spend the time you would spend collecting resources for crafting overleveling your party since there's no experience scaling
  8. Sidequests are all "go defeat this/these monsters," either for them to die or to collect their spoils, with very rare exceptions

I could probably list more, but this is all just off the top of my head
I just feel like the entire thing is resting on lazy tropes and an incoherent plot and there's just nothing redeeming it

Poulpe fucked around with this message at 18:37 on Oct 5, 2016

Pork Lift
Oct 9, 2007

Winner of the 2012
Prediction Razzies

Were almost at the point where I need to apologise and promise the game gets funnier and more interesting! I'm so excited to be ashamed of dead air!

coleman francis
Aug 8, 2007

Tap tap
The ketchup bottle
None will come
Then axolotl
Hair Elf
Is Faize just secretly Canadian?

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010
Why is Sam Raimi talking about "secondary school"? I thought this game was translated by yanks.

wateyad
Nov 17, 2007

...dat ass
Episode 25: An Ill Omen
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FxlOFdnsZ5E

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think there are a bunch of people who can create trailing images. I know some who could do this as if they were just going out for a stroll.
Vesperia does definitely have the "you can't hold this item, do you want to put it back?" prompt.

Polsy
Mar 23, 2007

iirc it would have left the blackberries if you had exactly 20 of them, but if you have 19 it picks them all up and discards any more than one

also this is definitely my least favourite "planet"

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
The female spelf appears to have combat wear even less appropriate than Sam Raimi.

coleman francis
Aug 8, 2007

Tap tap
The ketchup bottle
None will come
Then axolotl
Hair Elf
Twilight of the Spirits is a wonderful game, I loved the art and the characters. How do you find the game porklift?

Also, all three original Arc games were released in the west in a big box collection on the PSX, they are also pretty rad.

wateyad
Nov 17, 2007

...dat ass

coleman francis posted:

Twilight of the Spirits is a wonderful game, I loved the art and the characters. How do you find the game porklift?

Also, all three original Arc games were released in the west in a big box collection on the PSX, they are also pretty rad.

I'm pretty sure Twilight of the Spirits is the only one that came out in Europe.

Pork Lift
Oct 9, 2007

Winner of the 2012
Prediction Razzies

coleman francis posted:

I'm really enjoying it but play it in very short bursts. I think I'm near the end now though. The two main dudes have terrible names and some of the English voice direction is highly suspect, but I enjoy it nonetheless.

Shei-kun
Dec 2, 2011

Screw you, physics!
*highly impractically dressed and incredibly out of place character shows up*
"It's a new party member!" :buddy:

This game is not subtle.

sleepy.eyes
Sep 14, 2007

Like a pig in a chute.

Shei-kun posted:

*highly impractically dressed and incredibly out of place character shows up*
"It's a new party member!" :buddy:

This game is not subtle.

Could still be a reoccurring villain. Part of a group of 2-3 who sacrifice themselves for the final boss.

Shei-kun
Dec 2, 2011

Screw you, physics!
Nah, she didn't look even remotely evil enough for that.

Kurui Reiten
Apr 24, 2010

It's funny you think this game is coherent enough to have actual villains.

Vapor Moon
Feb 24, 2010

Neato!
The Human Font
Did you know: You can only have 100 save files before it stops letting you make new ones and you have to save over old ones.

ultrabindu
Jan 28, 2009

Shei-kun posted:

Nah, she didn't look even remotely evil enough for that.

How could you tell? All I saw were her rear end and tits.

HMS Boromir
Jul 16, 2011

by Lowtax
Presumably she saw enough to determine that her rear end and tits were, in fact, righteous.

racerabbit
Sep 8, 2011

"HI, I WANT TO HUG PINS NUTS."
:frolf:

ultrabindu posted:

How could you tell? All I saw were her rear end and tits.

she was dressed "sexy" and not "sultry". If the women are sexy, they are Good, but if they are Sultry, they are Evil.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Poulpe posted:

You forgot Rena from SO2. That girl starts out just knowing some martial arts and ends up astonishingly bloodthirsty by the end. Hell, if you start with her as the main protagonist, you even get a sidequest ending with you punching someones face in.

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother
It's a scary world out there

Libluini posted:

You forgot Rena from SO2. That girl starts out just knowing some martial arts and ends up astonishingly bloodthirsty by the end. Hell, if you start with her as the main protagonist, you even get a sidequest ending with you punching someones face in.

Another reason 2 is the only good Star Ocean game.

wateyad
Nov 17, 2007

...dat ass
Episode 26: Let's Head for That Isolation Chamber
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jCniImGXtoY

Poulpe
Nov 11, 2006

Libluini posted:

Oh I forgot about Rena! Yeah she was pretty swell

Captain Walker posted:

Another reason 2 is the only good Star Ocean game.

Pretty much this, yeah

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

wateyad posted:

Episode 26: Let's Head for That Isolation Chamber
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jCniImGXtoY

You might want to double-check your video title.

Ometeotl
Feb 13, 2012

It's MISSEL! Or SISSLE!
I confused myself...

No, it's perfect as is.

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

I want everyone to be happy, including Pork Lift, so there. Also, my favourite party member so far is that who just appeared without her face even in frame because she's said the least amount of dumb things.

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal
Sam Raimi and elfboy seem fine because they're fairly normal and painless for anime archetypes. That said I can't remember their real names. It'd be Edge if they went further with him being a young and kinda stupid hotshot captain but right now he can be summed up as Protagonisty.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole
555 seems like the best character so far since he hasn't really done anything to put him on the bad list. Raimi's entire character arc can be seen from a mile away (as soon as you hear her voice really) and Edge is too Wet behind the ears.

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

I am glad you didn't seclude yourselves in a caravan in Wales to play this, I don't think it would have been good for your health.

Also my favourite party member is Cerberus, he is a good dog.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

i81icu812
Dec 5, 2006

Momomo posted:

555 seems like the best character so far since he hasn't really done anything to put him on the bad list. Raimi's entire character arc can be seen from a mile away (as soon as you hear her voice really) and Edge is too Wet behind the ears.

counterpoint: he's an elf.

• Locked thread