Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
RumbleFish
Dec 20, 2007

LeeMajors posted:

Will Muschamp is waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay worse about defensive discipline than Strong ever was.

You can count on third and long being DPI, personal foul, or defensive holding.

Then again, we are wallowing in blown coverage on third and long now and I'm not sure which is worse.

Our defense has got to be one of the SEC's most improved units so far this season. It's amazing what Muschamp has been able to do with most of the same players that were a disaster just a year ago. They've absolutely been keeping us in games and the only real criticism to this point is that they haven't scored. The offense is an affront to football, but we: a) lost four key contributors to the NFL/graduation; b) are starting true freshmen/sophomores at most of the skill positions, including QB; and c) are currently suffering a rash of WR/OL injuries. I still hate, hate, hate the Roper hire and will bitch about it at every opportunity. But in fairness, I'm not even sure an offensive mastermind could do much with this group as currently assembled. Unfortunately, we're stuck having to wait and see.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fluffdaddy
Jan 3, 2009

computer parts posted:

Franklin has at least one thing over the coach from ten years ago.

ehh, i dunno about that, at least Vandy would say otherwise

drunk leprechaun
May 7, 2007
sobriety is for the weak and the stupid

mercenarynuker posted:

WMU not only won, but absolutely poo poo-housed those pedophiles in Mt. Pleasant, it was glorious to see. The bit that rubs extra salt in their wounds and consequently fills my heart with hysterical glee is that loving EASTERN MICHIGAN, of all people, has a better record than CMU.

This though, was loving bullshit. That abso-loving-lutely obvious concussion was cause by a CB hitting a receiver helmet to helmet with the crown of the head, but the MAC replay refs SOMEHOW overruled the on-field call with a "shoulder-to-shoulder hit." Yes, I'm sure that Carrington Thompson just routinely faceplants because he got a stinger on his shoulder.

All that aside, I'm pretty thrilled with the team, we have NIU next week to truly claim the Illinois State Championship Belt/Trophy/Hat/Whatever material token they exchange among themselves. I am super stoked that the Broncos are ranked in the Coaches poll, but wish the AP would have done it, too. I don't expect anything ridiculous like even the high teens, but come on, 25th on a week where VT doesn't even play would have been nice. ON a completely other note, does anyone know of a good MAC blog or site or something? There's a shitton devoted (understandably) to the P5 conferences, but I'd like to focus on my dumb small pond of small fish conference and haven't found a decent one yet

Hustle Belt is the SBNation MAC blog. I don't know any other ones though, or if Hustle Belt is any good.

Underdog Dynasty is also there general G5 blog.

Spaced God
Feb 8, 2014

All torment, trouble, wonder and amazement
Inhabits here: some heavenly power guide us
Out of this fearful country!

I said it before, but if we get Myles Garrett and Speedy Noiles back this week A&M might be able to beat the October collapse this year...
...Unless Tennesee pulls another come from behind victory so far out of their rear end it breaks Trevor Knight like Bama's massacre broke Kyle Allen.
Either way, it'll be a super fun game and I'm stoked I'll be able to go. BTHO tennesee, y'all

Soup du Jour
Sep 8, 2011

I always knew I'd die with a headache.

computer parts posted:

Franklin has at least one thing over the coach from ten years ago.

As far as we know, anyway :tinfoil:

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

drunk leprechaun posted:

Hustle Belt is the SBNation MAC blog. I don't know any other ones though, or if Hustle Belt is any good.

Underdog Dynasty is also there general G5 blog.

Hustle Belt is alright for what it is but you're really best off just following the local area beat reporters of each team. The MAC isn't exactly going to get anyone too many of those sweet sweet clicks.

JonathonSpectre
Jul 23, 2003

I replaced the Shermatar and text with this because I don't wanna see racial slurs every time you post what the fuck

Soiled Meat
So I just got home from the FSU game this weekend...

Man I haven't seen our defense look this bad in... ever. It reminded me a lot of that game against Georgia Tech some years ago where GT literally never punted. On one of UNC's touchdown drives they converted (IIRC) a 3rd & 8 and 2 3rd and 9s. They averaged 7 yards per play, and despite repeatedly burning us #3 for UNC was left wide open over and over and over again. It was bad enough that people in the stands were screaming "COVER #3!" based on the lineup and then we'd just leave him open for an 8 yard gain. At the end of the game we had to hold them out of field goal range for 23 seconds starting at their 25 and couldn't do it. Inexcusable and terrible.

I'm not a "FIRE COACH X" guy but something is absolutely wrong with the FSU defense and we're looking at 2-3 more losses if it doesn't get fixed quickly. I bet Brad Kaaya is licking his lips looking at the tape of our dudes always out of position and struggling to line up in time to beat the play call.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

RumbleFish posted:

Our defense has got to be one of the SEC's most improved units so far this season. It's amazing what Muschamp has been able to do with most of the same players that were a disaster just a year ago. They've absolutely been keeping us in games and the only real criticism to this point is that they haven't scored. The offense is an affront to football, but we: a) lost four key contributors to the NFL/graduation; b) are starting true freshmen/sophomores at most of the skill positions, including QB; and c) are currently suffering a rash of WR/OL injuries. I still hate, hate, hate the Roper hire and will bitch about it at every opportunity. But in fairness, I'm not even sure an offensive mastermind could do much with this group as currently assembled. Unfortunately, we're stuck having to wait and see.

I think on gameday, he's a tremendous X and O defensive guy. I just think the way that he coaches and his high-intensity personality bleeds over and perpetuates maximum aggression in his players and it leads to stupid penalties and overpursuit.

But yeah, if he can ever put the offensive side of the ball together he'll be a fantastic coach. I hope he learned from his failures with us.

Also this is amazing and I want to give Mac a hug.

LeeMajors fucked around with this message at 14:16 on Oct 3, 2016

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

LeeMajors posted:

Also this is amazing and I want to give Mac a hug.

holy poo poo hahahahaha

vikingstrike
Sep 23, 2007

whats happening, captain
Thats awesome.

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

Coach Mac is OK in my book

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

oregon throwing it waaaaaaaaay back this week

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

DJExile posted:

More teams should do throwbacks to their weird 1910's nicknames.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Adam Rittenberg posted:

Illinois announces plans for a $132 million stadium renovation project that includes a new football operations center (locker rooms, training area, meeting rooms, recruiting area) in the south end zone of Memorial Stadium. A new grandstand will be built in the south end zone and the east stands will be updated. If approved in 2017, the project would be completed in stages (2019 and 2020).

Illinois finally has that money apparently

bad boys for life
Jun 6, 2003

by sebmojo

JonathonSpectre posted:

So I just got home from the FSU game this weekend...

Man I haven't seen our defense look this bad in... ever. It reminded me a lot of that game against Georgia Tech some years ago where GT literally never punted. On one of UNC's touchdown drives they converted (IIRC) a 3rd & 8 and 2 3rd and 9s. They averaged 7 yards per play, and despite repeatedly burning us #3 for UNC was left wide open over and over and over again. It was bad enough that people in the stands were screaming "COVER #3!" based on the lineup and then we'd just leave him open for an 8 yard gain. At the end of the game we had to hold them out of field goal range for 23 seconds starting at their 25 and couldn't do it. Inexcusable and terrible.

I'm not a "FIRE COACH X" guy but something is absolutely wrong with the FSU defense and we're looking at 2-3 more losses if it doesn't get fixed quickly. I bet Brad Kaaya is licking his lips looking at the tape of our dudes always out of position and struggling to line up in time to beat the play call.

Yeah I was there too and that is the worst defense I've ever seen watching FSU play for 30 years. That defense against GT was bad, but the one now is far more talented, theyre just badly coached and theyre lazy. I saw our linebackers and dbs jogging toward the ball carrier multiple times not wanting to hit the guy since someone else may get him. They called prevent on first down when NC had to drive 40 yards, and got burned with 23 seconds left. Charles Kelly needs to be gone as soon as possible. Im hoping UM scores 100 and they fire him after the game.

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

DJExile posted:

This is a good uni.

curried lamb of God
Aug 31, 2001

we are all Marwinners
please kill me now

http://www.campusrush.com/charlie-strong-texas-future-hot-seat-coaching-carousel-2028550332.html

Mr. World
May 6, 2007
Working undercover for the man . . .

DJExile posted:

These are loving awesome. :allears:

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

Texas doing a good job emulating the Post-Fulmer Carousel Floundering Pirouette that has proven to be so successful.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

wa27 posted:

More teams should do throwbacks to their weird 1910's nicknames.

Let's go Georgia Tech Golden Tornado

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
The Michigan A&M Aggies are not an exciting team to throw back to.

Seaniqua
Mar 12, 2004

"We'll see how the first year goes. But people better get us now, because we're going to keep getting better and better."
Accidentally put this in the week 4 aftermath thread - whooooops!

TFF COLLEGE PICK 'EM WEEK FIVE UPDATE!!!!

Here are the results from week five:

It was a rough week for the pick 'em. Only four were above .500, so congrats to you guys and/or gals.

Here's the leaderboard after week five:

There's an eight-way tie for fourth place which is wild. Congrats to dangobango, laughing at our misfortunes.

And here are the picks for week five:

Had to put some stinkers in there - enjoy Maryland @ Penn State!

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

That washington/stanford one rules

Noctone
Oct 25, 2005

XO til we overdose..
That Michigan interception was one of the coolest goddamn things I've ever seen. Arguably more impressive than the OBJ one-handed catch.

Real Name Grover
Feb 13, 2002

Like corn on the cob
Fan of Britches
:raise:

https://twitter.com/BrentAxeMedia/status/782970910491942916

D.N. Nation
Feb 1, 2012

Feldman:

quote:

Word is first-year Georgia head coach Kirby Smart is struggling with his overall management style of the football program and its effect on the operational aspect of the team. The Bulldogs are 3-2, and though this is a rebuilding project where the Nick Saban disciple has an inexperienced true freshman QB, an underwhelming O-line and only one starter back in his front seven, this is an issue worth keeping eye on.

My first thought? If the good ol' boys in the bowels of the athletic department who think the cure-all for UGA's ills is to run the wing-T and/or bring back Brian VanGorder as head coach (seriously this was an idea that was floated around back in '09 or so) are rankled by Kirby the way they were rankled by Pruitt, then, welp, tough. Kirby's a hardass who isn't willing to kiss yours. Deal.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

He had so many loving weird quotes like that at BG too.

E: I get what he's saying in terms of developing the program but god he loves himself some weird rear end metaphors.

G-Hawk
Dec 15, 2003

charlie confirms:

quote:

Texas coach Charlie Strong begins weekly presser. "I'm going to run the defense and call the defense." Bedford will coach secondary.

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true
TV for the 15th is out. Texas Tech vs WVU and OU vs KSU both at 11 am. Baylor vs Kansas at 2:30. Iowa State vs Texas 6:00 on LHN.

Basically, the two games that actually may have an outcome on the final Big XII standings are at the same time at 11 am, while the afternoon slot goes to what should be a blowout and the game on LHN will be watched by most of one fanbase and some of another.

Big XII sucks. Fox sucks. ESPN mostly sucks. gently caress this gay conference.

Scionix
Oct 17, 2009

hoog emm xDDD
im sure we wont get torched now that charlie is coaching the defense!!!

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

D.N. Nation posted:

Feldman:

My first thought? If the good ol' boys in the bowels of the athletic department who think the cure-all for UGA's ills is to run the wing-T and/or bring back Brian VanGorder as head coach (seriously this was an idea that was floated around back in '09 or so) are rankled by Kirby the way they were rankled by Pruitt, then, welp, tough. Kirby's a hardass who isn't willing to kiss yours. Deal.

Lol. Wonder what Richt is thinking now

Tennessee is one of the worst 5-0 teams I've ever seen

Scionix
Oct 17, 2009

hoog emm xDDD

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

Tennessee is one of the worst 5-0 teams I've ever seen

THREE WEEKS

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

DJExile posted:

UGA should do a 1890s throwback and bring a goat on field. That's right, first true live mascot for UGA was a goat named Sir William. UGA has goats on campus, and the folks that manage them are the Chew Crew, so lets bring that back.

D.N. Nation posted:

Feldman:

Yeah it is almost like settling for complacency doesn't work when you have seen what it takes to get to that next stepping stone. I have a feeling that Kirby gets a wide berth though; he is McGarity's man and has at least until the 3rd year or 4th year to make something happen. The idea that he actually isn't complacent and demands that the administration get in line shouldn't be a shocker to anyone, and with the exception of maybe Muschamp, is going to have a very different outlook on what it takes to run a program having come from a literal national championship machine.

Chieves
Sep 20, 2010

I got my wisdom teeth out and am still a bit delirious but the TCU hornt frogs blow in every way shape and form, which means next year will be an inexplicable one loss season where we are excluded from the CFO again for being a small school

D.N. Nation
Feb 1, 2012

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

Remember, kids: In the universe where 2016 is still coached by Mark Richt, he's having to hire replacements for OC and DC, and his professional acumen in hiring an OC just one year before led to Brian Schottenheimer's Reign of Terror. And the big LOL AT GEORGIA argument is LOL AT GEORGIA BECAUSE SOUTH CAROLINA GOT KIRBY SMART AND THEY STUCK WITH RICHT.

Also Lambert is still probably starting.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

DJExile posted:

You know he "wasted" his years in Boise because at the time they had like the only hospital capable of taking care of one of his son's cancer, right?

That better turn out to be a really good son and not some Cody Hawkins bullshit

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
But Richt is a good coach, so why would that happen?

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

D.N. Nation posted:

Remember, kids: In the universe where 2016 is still coached by Mark Richt, he's having to hire replacements for OC and DC, and his professional acumen in hiring an OC just one year before led to Brian Schottenheimer's Reign of Terror. And the big LOL AT GEORGIA argument is LOL AT GEORGIA BECAUSE SOUTH CAROLINA GOT KIRBY SMART AND THEY STUCK WITH RICHT.

Also Lambert is still probably starting.

Thankfully Georgia was able to land Muschamp 2.0 and USC had to settle for lovely old Muschamp Prime

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

General Dog posted:

Thankfully Georgia was able to land Muschamp 2.0 and USC had to settle for lovely old Muschamp Prime

This would ring a little more true if Eason was throwing 5 picks a game.

Grittybeard fucked around with this message at 18:22 on Oct 3, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pillsburysoldier
Feb 11, 2008

Yo, peep that shit

bad boys for life posted:

Yeah I was there too and that is the worst defense I've ever seen watching FSU play for 30 years. That defense against GT was bad, but the one now is far more talented, theyre just badly coached and theyre lazy. I saw our linebackers and dbs jogging toward the ball carrier multiple times not wanting to hit the guy since someone else may get him. They called prevent on first down when NC had to drive 40 yards, and got burned with 23 seconds left. Charles Kelly needs to be gone as soon as possible. Im hoping UM scores 100 and they fire him after the game.

15 of the 20 worst defensive performances in fsu history came under Kelly

• Locked thread