Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

I....I have been dunked on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Popete posted:

Maybe just maybe Barry Bonds like many other great hitters is not very good at coaching others how to hit. I know this might blow a lot of peoples minds that Barry could possibly be bad at something.

Maybe just maybe a team that has 3 dudes with a reasonable chance to hit 20 homeruns isn't built very well.

Pancakes
May 21, 2001

Crypto-Rump Roast

Popete posted:

Led by some guy named Scooter probably.

Realistically we have a spot at either 1B, 3B or LF to fill with a prospect if we're aiming to improve internally. Among possible prospects the most Cardinals names I can think of from our system would be either Harrison Bader, Bryce Denton or Walker Robbins. Only Bader is old enough to actually have a shot at making the roster. Get working on your "Harrison Bader" puns/insults now.

Kevyn
Mar 5, 2003

I just want to smile. Just once. I'd like to just, one time, go to Disney World and smile like the other boys and girls.
Does Coach Barry still have that sweet leather recliner all for himself in the clubhouse?

Beller
Apr 9, 2009
Suspiciously low number of domestic abuse charges filed against the Marlins this year lead Loria to believe Bonds was holding back on teaching them everything he knew about hitting.

davecrazy
Nov 25, 2004

I'm an insufferable shitposter who does not deserve to root for such a good team. Also, this is what Matt Harvey thinks of me and my garbage posting.

Beller posted:

Suspiciously low number of domestic abuse charges filed against the Marlins this year lead Loria to believe Bonds was holding back on teaching them everything he knew about hitting.

I dunno, Fernandez hit the jetty pretty hard.

New Concept Hole
Oct 10, 2012

東方動的

Darude - Adam Sandstorm posted:

Maybe just maybe a team that has 3 dudes with a reasonable chance to hit 20 homeruns isn't built very well.

Idk, the Giants HR leader was Brandon Belt with 17, and no one else hit 15 or more, and they're in the play-offs.

UZR IS BULLSHIT
Jan 25, 2004

Beller posted:

D-

Kevyn
Mar 5, 2003

I just want to smile. Just once. I'd like to just, one time, go to Disney World and smile like the other boys and girls.

davecrazy posted:

I dunno, Fernandez hit the jetty pretty hard.

Swing and a miss

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen

TheIncredulousHulk posted:

Jesus Christ. loving Joe West is the crew chief for the AL WC game/1v4 seed ALDS

I would like to know exactly how many top baseball officials he has naked pictures of in order to a) stay employed this long, and b) work the loving playoffs.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

It appears LaRussa is on his way out of Arizona as well, just maybe not right this second:

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2016/10/tony-la-russa-wont-run-d-backs-baseball-ops-future-with-org-uncertain.html

Rand alPaul
Feb 3, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

FlamingLiberal posted:

It appears LaRussa is on his way out of Arizona as well, just maybe not right this second:

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2016/10/tony-la-russa-wont-run-d-backs-baseball-ops-future-with-org-uncertain.html

LaRussa's new job is to be the guy enforcing the dress code behind home plate.

patonthebach
Aug 22, 2016

by R. Guyovich

Crazy Ted posted:

If you'll believe this afternoon's ESPN report, when Bonds was critical of a player's batting it was to the point of being cantankerous, and Giancarlo Stanton started to completely tune him out as a result.

I have no inside knowledge but its pretty standard for the true best of the best in terms of ability to be terrible coaches. Gretzky, etc. How exactly do you give pointers and things to work on when your whole career you were just insanely more talented and natural then everyone else? How much can you demand out of your players when in your own experience, when you tried hard you were the best player alive?

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

patonthebach posted:

I have no inside knowledge but its pretty standard for the true best of the best in terms of ability to be terrible coaches. Gretzky, etc. How exactly do you give pointers and things to work on when your whole career you were just insanely more talented and natural then everyone else? How much can you demand out of your players when in your own experience, when you tried hard you were the best player alive?

Well if that Josh Donaldson video from last month is any indication, not being a literal idiot about physics has a lot going for it. "If your Little League coach tells you to get on top of the ball, you tell him 'No.'"

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
If you watch any of the instructional videos that Mattingly, Gwynn or Ripken put out they were all pretty terrible hitting instructors. Of course no one wants to tell Tony Gwynn that what he's saying makes absolutely no sense. It mostly comes down to them naturally being good at hitting but not understanding why or even what they did that made them good, a lot of repeating the instructions they heard growing up from their coaches. With modern swing analysis provided by hitting sensors and high speed cameras I think hitting analysis has come a long way. Being a good instructor doesn't always come from being a good hitter.

Rand alPaul
Feb 3, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
Bonds psyched out Joc Pederson during a crucial playoff run and beat Giancarlo Stanton in a home run derby.

It's not his fault Stanton isn't good at hitting dingers.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

patonthebach posted:

Also, when you're the best ever at something you're basically a high-functioning weirdo who sees things and does things and works on things related to your skills that others don't, or makes the average pleb think you're out of your loving mind. When faced with the prospect of trying to teach things to people who are average or even very good in your field, you're probably going to be a dick about. You just can't understand why these other people can't figure it out the same way you can, but that's because it was natural to you.

You're absolutely right too. Everything I've ever read about guys like Ted Williams, Magic Johnson, Wayne Gretzky, Michael Jordan from when they've coached or tried to work with people indicate that they were very hard to work with and couldn't figure out why their players just couldn't figure out how to perform to their standards.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Rand alPaul posted:

It's not his fault Stanton isn't good at hitting dingers.
Stanton rules at hitting dingers - it's just that he's awful at staying healthy long enough to hit lots of dingers.

iKickDogs
Aug 31, 2001

It's been a few days, but in response to this:

I am still this:

http://imgur.com/EtyCHzK.mp4

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

New Concept Hole posted:

Idk, the Giants HR leader was Brandon Belt with 17, and no one else hit 15 or more, and they're in the play-offs.

Ya but they weren't a good hitting team either and its not really my point anyway.

Maybe using HRs was a dumb way to put it, but the Marlins aren't a well built offensive team. They weren't any better this year than last offensively, the uptick in their runs scored and OPS is about on par with what happened across MLB.

New Concept Hole
Oct 10, 2012

東方動的

Darude - Adam Sandstorm posted:

Ya but they weren't a good hitting team either and its not really my point anyway.

Maybe using HRs was a dumb way to put it, but the Marlins aren't a well built offensive team. They weren't any better this year than last offensively, the uptick in their runs scored and OPS is about on par with what happened across MLB.

But if you didn't go with home runs I wouldn't have been able to point out how hilarious the Giants' HR totals were this season, so it all worked out.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

At least we don't have to worry about a DH this year.

I assume Bonds saw how much Mattingly signaled to bunt and quit in disgust.

Craptacular! fucked around with this message at 08:40 on Oct 4, 2016

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it
I could definitely see Bonds being a terrible hitting coach. "Have you considered hitting home runs? Hmmm... okay... what about intentional walks? Look just be so good at home runs you get a ton of intentional walks it's not that hard"

NiceGuy
Dec 13, 2006

This is my BOOMSTICK
College Slice
Several reports are saying the guy basically checked out mid season but lol sure guys Barry can do no wrong

Rand alPaul
Feb 3, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

Crazy Ted posted:

Stanton rules at hitting dingers - it's just that he's awful at staying healthy long enough to hit lots of dingers.

27 dingers? Barry has that at the break. *click*

Spoeank posted:

I could definitely see Bonds being a terrible hitting coach. "Have you considered hitting home runs? Hmmm... okay... what about intentional walks? Look just be so good at home runs you get a ton of intentional walks it's not that hard"

I imagine he took guys in to look at video and just shook his head slowly the entire time.

Rand alPaul fucked around with this message at 09:47 on Oct 4, 2016

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

lol at complaining about what time your LDS game is, as if bad scheduling that favors the big markets hasn't been a thing as long as there have been 4 division series'.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Illegal Hen
Uh, go Mets I guess??

The Giants just scare the poo poo out of me.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
There's been a few cases of amazing career hitters being really bad hitting coaches. Paul Molitor was pretty bad for the Mariners when he was our hitting coach.

Being amazingly good at something doesn't make you good at teaching it, imagine that.

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.

bad boy in the boy band posted:

Uh, go Mets I guess??

Personally rooting for a non-communicable, horribly, though non-painfully, debilitating plague to strike the position players and pitchers of both teams

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!
Go Mets. I want no part of EYBS

davecrazy
Nov 25, 2004

I'm an insufferable shitposter who does not deserve to root for such a good team. Also, this is what Matt Harvey thinks of me and my garbage posting.

bad boy in the boy band posted:

Uh, go Mets I guess??

Mets won't win unless Cespedes singly handily wins the game. Lineup is dreadful vs lefties.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

NiceGuy posted:

Several reports are saying the guy basically checked out mid season but lol sure guys Barry can do no wrong

The reports are out of the Marlins clubhouse so they may or may not be true!

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
For the WC games: go O's, go Giants.

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

I made the hat by transforming my zen

Josh Donaldson should release a series of videos just titled "why your little league coach is wrong"

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

davecrazy posted:

Mets won't win unless Cespedes singly handily wins the game. Lineup is dreadful vs lefties.

It's most likely not gonna be a high-scoring game but if it's close late in the game we've definitely got a chance, Giants bullpen has been terrible lately.

Hello Towel
Aug 9, 2010

Rick Renteria is a pretty :effort: manager hiring for the White Sox. The interesting thing now is to see if this offseason will be a teardown or not.

As for the playoffs, I just want anyone but the Cubs or Indians.

Walked
Apr 14, 2003

Inspector_666 posted:

For the WC games: go O's, go Giants.

:agreed:

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

Julio Cruz posted:

It's most likely not gonna be a high-scoring game but if it's close late in the game we've definitely got a chance, Giants bullpen has been terrible lately.

lol if you think MadBum wouldn't pitch 12 innings if it went that far

Dr. Fraiser Chain
May 18, 2004

Redlining my shit posting machine

I hope Madbum gets mad and starts a couple bench clearing brawls over dumb stuff

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Illegal Hen

Goodpancakes posted:

I hope Madbum gets mad and starts a couple bench clearing brawls over dumb stuff

All of the Mets should look at him. For the entire game.

• Locked thread