Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kristov
Jul 5, 2005

HorseLord posted:

thank god america liberated them from the tyranny of healthcare, education, and personal safety

Eeeehhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh. I think the people about to get slaughtered in Benghazi might have a disagreement with you on that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HorseLord
Aug 26, 2014

Kristov posted:

Projection of all the faults of western imperialism onto this one single solitary person.

or we could just be discussing what she's involved in - this isn't the "What's the deal with people who hate Kissinger" thread

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Inverted Offensive Battle: Acupuncture Attacks Convert To 3D Penetration Tactics Taking Advantage of Deep Battle Opportunities

TomViolence posted:

More the quite reasonable point that she offers only a continuation of such policy beneath a veneer of progressive posturing. Besides, the thread title asks why people hate Hillary, not whether or not that hate is justified.

I also think that since she's big pals with Henry Kissinger, the foremost architect of imperialist American policy of the past 50 years, it's not unreasonable to consider just that western imperialism when deciding whether or not one likes Hillary as your next POTUS.

I wouldn't give Kissinger too much credit. He may be the foremost architect, but only just barely, because there are so many other candidates as well: McNamara, Rusk, Rumsfeld, Wolfowitz, Cheney...

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Kristov posted:

Eeeehhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh. I think the people about to get slaughtered in Benghazi might have a disagreement with you on that.

Benghazi happened after Ghaddafi had been killed and Libya 'liberated'

TomViolence
Feb 19, 2013

PLEASE ASK ABOUT MY 80,000 WORD WALLACE AND GROMIT SLASH FICTION. PLEASE.

Majorian posted:

I wouldn't give Kissinger too much credit. He may be the foremost architect, but only just barely, because there are so many other candidates as well: McNamara, Rusk, Rumsfeld, Wolfowitz, Cheney...

I'm all for holding a cadaver synod with the exhumed bodies of the Dulles brothers too.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

JFairfax posted:

Libyans are people too.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Inverted Offensive Battle: Acupuncture Attacks Convert To 3D Penetration Tactics Taking Advantage of Deep Battle Opportunities

JFairfax posted:

He's not talking about that Benghazi incident.:ssh:

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

computer parts posted:

Libyans are people too.

yes, and they had a well functioning country before NATO flew thousands of sorties and bombed the gently caress out of it

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Majorian posted:

He's not talking about that Benghazi incident.:ssh:

when Americans refer to Benghazi they usually are referring to that incident.

Kristov
Jul 5, 2005

JFairfax posted:

........what? No, ghadaffi rushing toward Benghazi with his army loyalists while promising to go door to door and slaughter everyone was the exigent circumstance for the intervention to begin with.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

JFairfax posted:

when Americans refer to Benghazi they usually are referring to that incident.

Yeah, but he clearly wasn't. He was clearly talking about the fact that Qaddafi was literally threatening mass murders upon that city's populace before the NATO intervention.

You really don't know very much about this civil war, do you? You actually think it started when NATO intervened.

Kristov
Jul 5, 2005
I'm seriously unable to tell who's being deliberately obtuse and who is just a dumbass.

TomViolence
Feb 19, 2013

I'm throwing my weight behind Trump in this election as I'm curious to see how Americans will react to a foreign government subverting their democratic process and installing a tinpot dictator by crooked and fraudulent means.

Dimestore Musollini and Russian stooge the Donald may be, but he's no Pinochet...

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

TomViolence posted:

I'm throwing my weight behind Trump in this election as I'm curious to see how Americans will react to a foreign government subverting their democratic process and installing a tinpot dictator by crooked and fraudulent means.

Dimestore Musollini and Russian stooge the Donald may be, but he's no Pinochet...

A lot of American poor people, women, and ethnic minorities will suffer for it. Will that be worth it to you?:stare:

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
Edit- there was post from me here but now I only seem to have quotes left.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

TomViolence posted:

Wow you're a really serious and good person.

TomViolence
Feb 19, 2013

I was making a joke, y'all need to chill.

Kristov
Jul 5, 2005
I'm partial to "Manbaby Mussolini".

I've heard "Cheeto Benito" and that ones pretty good too.

Anchor Wanker
May 14, 2015

Kristov posted:

........what? No, ghadaffi rushing toward Benghazi with his army loyalists while promising to go door to door and slaughter everyone was the exigent circumstance for the intervention to begin with.

Yep.

Also, did Horse compare cops in the States using CS gas to Assad using like, lethal chemical munitions on totally innocent people?

Like, dude CS gas is irritating and often used for stupid reasons but come the gently caress on.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

TomViolence posted:

Tough to tell when you're agreeing with HorseLord and JFairfax on a lot of things.

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
The situation is much worse in Libya now than it was under Ghaddafi, maybe he should have been allowed to defeat the islamist rebels on his own terms rather than having NATO destroy the country.

America has no problems with human rights violations or genocide when conducted by them or by allies, this is why any claims of 'humanitarian intervention' do not ring true because we all know it is selective and based on what is deemed best for America's geo-political position and aims.

e/ the rebels in libya would never have won without NATO intervention destryoing the infrastructure of the country.

Kristov
Jul 5, 2005

TomViolence posted:

Nah, you were just mad and lashing out a bit. Happens. It's really hard to make wishing for ethnic cleansing upon a population into a joke/punchline though. It may be hypothetically be possible to pull it off without looking like a piece of poo poo, but

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

JFairfax posted:

The situation is much worse in Libya now than it was under Ghaddafi

It was in a brutal civil war before NATO intervened, and Qaddafi was going to mass murder a lot of people in the second-largest city in the country. I wouldn't call that "better."

TomViolence
Feb 19, 2013

Kristov posted:

Nah, you were just mad and lashing out a bit. Happens. It's really hard to make wishing for ethnic cleansing upon a population into a joke/punchline though. It may be hypothetically be possible to pull it off without looking like a piece of poo poo, but

I was more making a joke about America's habits of subverting the political process of other countries to serve their geopolitical aims and how that parallels Russia's support for Trump, but if your takeaway from it is that I'm lashing out you can go with that too.

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
why is it okay for America to mass murder people in countries it intervenes in, and Ghaddafi not to in order to protect his own state?

Kristov
Jul 5, 2005

JFairfax posted:

The situation is much worse in Libya now than it was under Ghaddafi, maybe he should have been allowed to defeat the islamist rebels on his own terms rather than having NATO destroy the country.

America has no problems with human rights violations or genocide when conducted by them or by allies, this is why any claims of 'humanitarian intervention' do not ring true because we all know it is selective and based on what is deemed best for America's geo-political position and aims.

e/ the rebels in libya would never have won without NATO intervention destryoing the infrastructure of the country.

Kristov posted:

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Kristov posted:

it was a joke about America getting a taste of it's own medicine.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

JFairfax posted:

why is it okay for America to mass murder people in countries it intervenes in, and Ghaddafi not to in order to protect his own state?

Becaaaaaause...it's never okay to do that, no matter who does it?:toot:

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

We can come up with a very long list of people in places that would have a disagreement with American foreign policy decisions.

Kristov
Jul 5, 2005

TomViolence posted:

I was more making a joke about America's habits of subverting the political process of other countries to serve their geopolitical aims and how that parallels Russia's support for Trump, but if your takeaway from it is that I'm lashing out you can go with that too.

Kristov posted:

It's really hard to make wishing for ethnic cleansing upon a population into a joke/punchline though. It may be hypothetically be possible to pull it off without looking like a piece of poo poo, but

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Majorian posted:

Becaaaaaause...it's never okay to do that, no matter who does it?:toot:

RIGHT which is the point about Hilary, she is happy for America to mass murder people around the world at it's discretion when the situation warrants it.

She is married to a man to whom the deaths of 500,000 children are a price worth paying - she is okay with this. She has been involved in the bombing and destruction of one country, is happy to authorise more bombing and destruction, supports illegal drone wars and the list goes on.

This is the crux of the issue with Hilary for a lot of foreigners, she is totally okay with Mass Murder for the needs of the USA.

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
And you guys are cool with that because America are the good guys.

Kristov
Jul 5, 2005

Kristov posted:

JFairfax posted:

We can come up with a very long list of people in places that would have a disagreement with American foreign policy decisions.

....what?

Kristov fucked around with this message at 19:24 on Oct 4, 2016

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Kristov posted:

....what?

Right let me explain, you said:

Kristov posted:

Okay.

I am saying America has slaughtered lots and lots of people in pursuit of it's foreign policy goals, all over the world, for a very long time.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

TomViolence posted:

That's what all the Trump voters will say when he loses. I guess you're even less courageous than they are.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
This thread has turned into a clearinghouse for all the tankies and pro-Gaddafi shills who were run out of the Middle East thread on a rail.

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
what the gently caress is a tankie? is it a bronie but for thomas the tank engine?

e/ also All Pro, have you ever been outside the USA? Maybe to South America or Europe or Africa?

JFairfax fucked around with this message at 19:36 on Oct 4, 2016

radmonger
Jun 6, 2011

JFairfax posted:

America has no problems with human rights violations or genocide when conducted by them or by allies

True.by definition, because anything more than a quiet and polite suggestion and they _stop being allies_.

Sure, there are a bunch of rulers that perhaps could be getting the saddam treatment. The arguments against that course of action are reasonably well known at this point.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe
"Tee hee what if I voted for Trump?" --"jokers" who would rat out their own moms when the death squads came

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

JFairfax posted:

RIGHT which is the point about Hilary, she is happy for America to mass murder people around the world at it's discretion when the situation warrants it.

That's kind of how it goes when you're running a superpower. There are no options likely to win the American presidency who will be any less of a warmonger than Clinton, and if you believe Trump would be, you're extremely dumb.

But returning to Qaddafi, it's pretty awful when you're mass murdering civilians in your own country. It certainly isn't the sort of thing that makes me think of Libya as "better" in 2011 than it is now. (I'd say it's a lateral move)

JFairfax posted:

what the gently caress is a tankie? is it a bronie but for thomas the tank engine?

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=tankie

• Locked thread