Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

Dead Kelly posted:

Toronto generally has a lot of built up frustration. From sports, from political culture, whatever. Sports becomes an outlet for that. I like the general idea of the fans being rowdy, but that should probably not extended to braining Baltimore's left fielder.

gently caress turning that guy in to the police, though. Nobody deserves the TPS.

Nobody turned her in (deplorable in itself), and she absolutely deserves to be charged and receive a weekend in jail for that idiocy.

GolfHole fucked around with this message at 19:20 on Oct 5, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

bravesword posted:

This owns. I wonder if it would still work.

FuckJohnRocker.jpg

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope

Waffles Inc. posted:

Alright Metsies how's everyone feeling about tonight?

I'm feeling like drinking heavily tbh

My body is ready. :cheers:

tadashi posted:

FuckJohnRocker.jpg

gently caress John Rocker indeed.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Jack-in-the-Bach posted:

I hope everyone is done saying he should be fired though. Unless people want them to go back to winning 60 games.

Hey, wouldn't be the first time a Showalter-managed team can't get over the hump in the postseason, he gets fired and they win it all the following year.

davecrazy
Nov 25, 2004

I'm an insufferable shitposter who does not deserve to root for such a good team. Also, this is what Matt Harvey thinks of me and my garbage posting.

Waffles Inc. posted:

Alright Metsies how's everyone feeling about tonight?

I'm feeling like drinking heavily tbh

We're not even supposed to be here. Playing with house money.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!

Timby posted:

Hey, wouldn't be the first time a Showalter-managed team can't get over the hump in the postseason, he gets fired and they win it all the following year.

With Trumbo, Alvarez, and Weiters walking after this season? I find that unlikely. We still have to deal with Duquette calling the shots on signings, after all.

ragle
Nov 1, 2009

Poque posted:

I don't understand how any stadium still gives out actual cans for people to drink from, especially Rogers. I went to Detroit a couple years back and just kind of stared at the concessions worker after she handed me a can to take back to my seat.

in Detroit anyway they open the beer before handing it out, which should dramatically reduce a can's utility as a weapon

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

Artix posted:

With Trumbo, Alvarez, and Weiters walking after this season? I find that unlikely. We still have to deal with Duquette calling the shots on signings, after all.

I forget. After Nelson Cruz's rebound, was there a mad dash for him, or just the Mariners?

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
I don't know what the general feeling was, but on our side we wouldn't give him the 4th year he wanted. I think the farthest we would go was 3/40 or something.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

Artix posted:

I don't know what the general feeling was, but on our side we wouldn't give him the 4th year he wanted. I think the farthest we would go was 3/40 or something.

That feels familiar.

Good for Cruz, though - I didn't see him doing this well.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Artix posted:

We still have to deal with Duquette calling the shots on signings, after all.

I still don't understand why the O's didn't just ask for a box of baseballs or something from Toronto to get him the gently caress out of town.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe

Spoeank posted:

Ben Lindbergh with the perfect equal parts self promotion equal parts shade throwing tweet

https://mobile.twitter.com/BenLindbergh/status/783515836145434624

This book is really good

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!

Timby posted:

I still don't understand why the O's didn't just ask for a box of baseballs or something from Toronto to get him the gently caress out of town.

He gets a lot of credit for the stuff that Andy McPhail set up. Cruz, Trumbo, and Chen are probably the only notable Duquette deals that have really worked out for us, but public opinion of Duquette in Baltimore is still pretty high. I wouldn't be surprised if we cut him after his current extension is up though, especially if we keep barely making the postseason (or not at all) because between him and Angelos it's clear they're not willing to spend money unless they absolutely have to. The obvious exception being Chris Davis, but that was a situation where Angelos specifically wanted to keep him and was willing to give him pretty much anything he wanted.

shadok
Dec 12, 2004

You tried to destroy it once before, Commodore.
The result was a wrecked ship and a dead crew.
Fun Shoe
"Police to beer-throwing idiot: don't make us come get you"
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toronto/police-appeal-to-beer-thrower-1.3792436

The commander of 52 Division tweeted this today:
https://twitter.com/scottgilbertTPS/status/783650529029283844

John Wilkes Booth posted:

I knew that Geddy Lee liked going to Jays games and scoring the game, but I never knew he was sitting right on camera the entire time.

He's got a season ticket to that "In The Action" area right behind home plate ($19K) but he's not always in the camera field, sometimes he's off to one side a bit so you can only see him in the long shots. My wife and I like to play "Find Geddy Lee" every home game, he's just so adorable with his little score card.

shadok fucked around with this message at 19:53 on Oct 5, 2016

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Artix posted:

The obvious exception being Chris Davis, but that was a situation where Angelos specifically wanted to keep him and was willing to give him pretty much anything he wanted.

It was also a situation of Duquette being too stupid to realize he was bidding against himself.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer

shadok posted:

He's got a season ticket to that "In The Action" area right behind home plate ($19K) but he's not always in the camera field, sometimes he's off to one side a bit so you can only see him in the long shots. My wife and I like to play "Find Geddy Lee" every home game, he's just so adorable with his little score card.

So does that mean they know who it is? Or is the implication that they will find out?

EDIT: The article answers my question.

quote:

Later, he noted that security camera footage at the Rogers Centre would help investigators identify the person responsible.

"Rogers Centre has excellent video surveillance. They have excellent images of the person who we believe was responsible for throwing that beer," Gilbert told CBC Toronto, adding that police will use video to zero in on the seat location, go back through the records from the scanned tickets and find out who purchased that seat.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

I am looking forward to tonight's game very much as an unbiased observer because Big Time Pitching Showdowns are a very good Baseball Thing

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
The Wild Cards are a ton of fun when you have nothing on the line. If it's your team it's absolutely agonizing.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!

Popete posted:

The Wild Cards are a ton of fun when you have nothing on the line. If it's your team it's absolutely agonizing.

I dunno the 2015 NL Wild Card game was basically straight up fun for me!

Nail Rat fucked around with this message at 20:15 on Oct 5, 2016

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
This is probably the best baseball game ever played regardless of who you root for, long live wild cards.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

I fixed the link for you and removed unnecessary information :cheers:

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

bravesword posted:

This owns. I wonder if it would still work.

It might actually be easier in a way, since you could use a "fake" blog site or something rather than have to fake any type of printed thing.

Then again teams may have higher standards for "press", too, since everybody and their dog has a blog now.

EDIT: Or who knows https://secure.mlb.com/pressbox_open/registration/account_application.jsp

bewbies posted:

This book is really good

Confirming.

ALFbrot
Apr 17, 2002
Francisco Liriano is now 2-0 in Wild Card Games. Clutchest Wild Card pitcher ever.

yellowcar
Feb 14, 2010

shadok posted:

Toronto sports fans being human garbage? Quelle suprise.

Gobias Ind.
Apr 5, 2007

If your girlfriend says hey to me that's our girlfriend now idc

yellowcar posted:

Toronto sports fans being human garbage? Quelle suprise.

I know you love to rag on Toronto, and that person is a loving idiot, but I mean...these people are everywhere.

http://www.cbc.ca/sports/hockey/habs-won-t-tolerate-racist-behaviour-from-fans-1.331548

shadok
Dec 12, 2004

Fun Shoe
I just looked at Adam Jones' Facebook page and holy poo poo, the comments are just a stream of white supremacist bile.

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it

bewbies posted:

This book is really good

I'm about halfway through and I can concur with this assessment.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

:master:

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
Cespedes has a new look going for tonight:

https://twitter.com/Mets/status/783757975366332417

shadok
Dec 12, 2004

Fun Shoe
538 article about ALWC

Not really saying anything anyone isn't already saying but there are some nice play-by-play leverage numbers so you can actually measure how dumb Showalter was for not putting Britton in for the ninth, let alone for the eleventh.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
I was confused by not befuddled by his decisions in the 9th and 10th, but going with Jimenez over Britton made me go full

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Inspector_666 posted:

I was confused by not befuddled by his decisions in the 9th and 10th, but going with Jimenez over Britton made me go full
As soon as Jimenez threw his first pitch you knew that game was in for a swift and merciless ending.

St. Dogbert
Mar 17, 2011

shadok posted:

I just looked at Adam Jones' Facebook page and holy poo poo, the comments are just a stream of white supremacist bile.

Jones came out in favour of the athletes who knelt during the Star-Spangled Banner, right? I'm sure it's the same for all of the sports personalities who did so.

If Trump's candidacy has been good for nothing else - and it hasn't - it's exposing the fact that quite a few white people are perfectly happy that every other race of people are still second-class citizens at best, and they don't want to give up the privileges they have because of it.

shadok
Dec 12, 2004

Fun Shoe

St. Dogbert posted:

Jones came out in favour of the athletes who knelt during the Star-Spangled Banner, right?

Yeah, this is what set off that particular stream of attacks.

The Pussy Boss
Nov 2, 2004

Sucks that Eduardo Nunez is out for the WC game, but it does mean another lefty bat in the lineup, and Thor is human against LHH.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
I didn't realize just how incredible Britton was this year until I just looked at his final line and he was even on my fantasy team.

Like, that's the best single season a RP has ever had, right?

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

bewbies posted:

I didn't realize just how incredible Britton was this year until I just looked at his final line and he was even on my fantasy team.

Let me tell you a out Eric Gagne 2002-2004

TheChaosPath
Jul 22, 2005

bewbies posted:

He was very good but also very, very lucky on top of that

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

bewbies posted:

There's Eckersley's '90 season (48 SV, .61 WHIP) season and 2013 Koji Uehara (21 SV, .56 WHIP) season that are on par, but that WHIP is insanely low. I'm not a fan of giving relievers the Cy Young, but Britton certainly deserves a vote or two.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

Gobias Ind. posted:

I know you love to rag on Toronto, and that person is a loving idiot, but I mean...these people are everywhere.

http://www.cbc.ca/sports/hockey/habs-won-t-tolerate-racist-behaviour-from-fans-1.331548

Have a 14 year old story to prove my point!

• Locked thread