Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Bob le Moche posted:

All the candidates are bad *because* everyone just keeps voting for the lesser evil. They have no incentive to be anything else. How is this not super obvious to everyone???

All the candidates are bad because progressives sit at home and whine about how there aren't any good candidates, and also because evil people make up the majority of the voters in this country. Candidates don't spring forth, fully-formed, from a hell-womb in the depths beneath Washington D.C.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Buckwheat Sings
Feb 9, 2005

the trump tutelage posted:

There's a big difference between "perfect is the enemy of the good" and "Hillary is the enemy of the good". If her only flaw was that she was imperfect then her approval ratings would be a lot higher

That's probably more to do with the republican machine pushing to destroy her for about 20 years now. Maybe we REALLY do need more 24/7 coverage of more Bengazi hearings.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

You can stay home or you can deliberately spoil your ballot. Your vote is an endorsement.

What is the point of letting the world burn just so you can go "Well at least I didn't vote for it"

Polygynous
Dec 13, 2006
welp

Bob le Moche posted:

All the candidates are bad *because* everyone just keeps voting for the lesser evil. They have no incentive to be anything else. How is this not super obvious to everyone???

Yeah I saw that Simpsons episode too.

Bob le Moche
Jul 10, 2011

I AM A HORRIBLE TANKIE MORON
WHO LONGS TO SUCK CHAVISTA COCK !

I SUGGEST YOU IGNORE ANY POSTS MADE BY THIS PERSON ABOUT VENEZUELA, POLITICS, OR ANYTHING ACTUALLY !

(This title paid for by money stolen from PDVSA)

Main Paineframe posted:

All the candidates are bad because progressives sit at home and whine about how there aren't any good candidates, and also because evil people make up the majority of the voters in this country. Candidates don't spring forth, fully-formed, from a hell-womb in the depths beneath Washington D.C.

Actually that's how we got George Bush Jr

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer

HorseLord posted:

what i like about this thread is how it confirmed my long term suspicions that the democrats are a neocon party now

just straight up openly defending and advocating wars of aggression against other countries in order to export your own politics and values onto it, while claiming that it was for their own good because you just know, you just know that you're right and you have to bring civilisation to the savages or w/e

and when the smoke clears and it turns out you turned a moderately prosperous country into a dangerous and de-developed failed state ruled by warlords you can just go "Well we had to do something to bring them jesus/democracy! it just accidentally went a bit wrong!" and queue up the next involuntary recipient of your kindness

it's almost as if the moralising about democracy and freedom is a cover for something, hmmm

Tell me about all these wars started by Democratic leadership. :allears:

Hillary being too hawkish is a valid complaint, I don't like a lot of her foreign policy. That said, lol, Trump.

Wouldn't be the first time I've bought back this avatar.
VVV

Eifert Posting fucked around with this message at 02:07 on Oct 6, 2016

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

Eifert Posting posted:

Hillary being too hawkish is a valid complaint, I don't like a lot of her foreign policy. That said, lol, Trump.

careful bro

I like your avatar

Bisse
Jun 26, 2005

J Corp posted:

I have a question for the pro-Hillary crowd:

What would it take for you to change your mind about supporting her? Like, if it was fully proven that she was involved in rigging the primary, would that be enough? Or would you just handwave it away, saying "but LBJ did it, it isn't a big deal".

I have seen an awful lot of "but this person did it too, and they were much worse" in response to any criticism of her.
How about : an opponent that isn't a wildly racist/misogynistic manchild incapable of the most basic of presidential qualities.

TomViolence
Feb 19, 2013

PLEASE ASK ABOUT MY 80,000 WORD WALLACE AND GROMIT SLASH FICTION. PLEASE.

Ah yes, Trump, the subject of this thread.

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008

Mel Mudkiper posted:

What is the point of letting the world burn just so you can go "Well at least I didn't vote for it"

Because the alternative is a decision about the number of logs you're putting on the fire, not between stoking it or smothering it.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Bob le Moche posted:

Sorry but the Democratic Party has not been fighting for progress. Social movements have been fighting for progress and pressuring the Democrats into giving away concessions. Again, don't get your democracy backwards.

Yeah, Democratic representatives like John Lewis have to be dragged kicking and screaming into supporting progressive causes.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Because the alternative is a decision about the number of logs you're putting on the fire, not between stoking it or smothering it.

If your actions can lessen harm in any way, inaction is not virtuous

BaDandy
Apr 3, 2013

"This taste...

is the taste of a liar!"

Mel Mudkiper posted:

On that note, I thought this article was pretty well-written and talks about why that line of thinking is really loving stupid, or at least really really self-serving.

Buckwheat Sings
Feb 9, 2005

Mel Mudkiper posted:

But....me? Me! ME!!!

Anything to make myself feel better is what I need regardless of lack of self reflection, good will, or knowledge of consequences.

Bob le Moche
Jul 10, 2011

I SUGGEST YOU IGNORE ANY POSTS MADE BY THIS PERSON ABOUT VENEZUELA, POLITICS, OR ANYTHING ACTUALLY !

Eifert Posting posted:

The Vietnam war
The infinite drone wars in the middle east and africa, including bombing pharmaceutical plants in sudan etc
The invasion of Cuba
The internal war against civil rights and anticapitalist movements in the 60s
The proxy war in Congo, propping up Paul Kagame and leading to millions dead in Rwanda
The proxy war in Indonesia, arming the fascists and enabling genocide
The colonial massacre of native americans

And much more violence under democratic leadership in Honduras, Mexico, Libya, AFRICOM, the Cold War, etc etc

The only time nuclear weapons were ever used against civilian populations was under a democratic president... twice

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

The other issue I have with "we don't get real candidates who represent real progressive values" is that radical leftists think somehow the majority of the nation actually agrees with their specific sense of global and political morality, despite the fact most leftists cannot even agree amongst themselves

There is this weird delusion that "real" progressiveness is being repressed by a two party system. Its like the leftists and communists in Iran who thought removing the Shaw would lead to the people creating a modern progressive democracy. They never seem to get that the silent majority is probably much worse than the status quo, not better.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer
^^^
This poo poo has been happening since at least the French Revolution. Every Progressive assumes the seething multitudes can be won over by their superior intellect in a violent movement but democracy is the thing holding them back. Progress is won in degrees through peace and you aren't the first person with pretty speaches in your head and accelerationist ambitions.

Bob le Moche posted:

The Vietnam war
The infinite drone wars in the middle east and africa, including bombing pharmaceutical plants in sudan etc
The invasion of Cuba
The internal war against civil rights and anticapitalist movements in the 60s
The proxy war in Congo, propping up Paul Kagame and leading to millions dead in Rwanda
The proxy war in Indonesia, arming the fascists and enabling genocide
The colonial massacre of native americans

And much more violence under democratic leadership in Honduras, Mexico, Libya, AFRICOM, the Cold War, etc etc

The only time nuclear weapons were ever used against civilian populations was under a democratic president... twice

So a whole bunch of poo poo before the Southern Strategy flipped the parties and a whole bunch of limited engagements?

Eifert Posting fucked around with this message at 02:16 on Oct 6, 2016

Bob le Moche
Jul 10, 2011

Eifert Posting posted:

So a whole bunch of poo poo before the Southern Strategy flipped the parties and a whole bunch of limited engagements?

Those engagements are not "limited" for the people at the receiving end of them

TomViolence
Feb 19, 2013

Mel Mudkiper posted:

The other issue I have with "we don't get real candidates who represent real progressive values" is that radical leftists think somehow the majority of the nation actually agrees with their specific sense of global and political morality, despite the fact most leftists cannot even agree amongst themselves

There is this weird delusion that "real" progressiveness is being repressed by a two party system. Its like the leftists and communists in Iran who thought removing the Shaw would lead to the people creating a modern progressive democracy. They never seem to get that the silent majority is probably much worse than the status quo, not better.

And this is a defence of American democracy because...

I mean if the silent majority is actually terrible, then why should that mean A) they'll vote for Hillary and B) that'll be a good thing?

Eifert Posting posted:

This is weaksauce and you know it. The mere idea of "limited engagements" is entrenched in asymmetric American foreign policy where people outside your borders are worth infinitely less compared to your own citizens, becoming effectively unpeople, mere numbers on a spreadsheet and it's sickening to see attempts to rationalise it.

TomViolence fucked around with this message at 02:17 on Oct 6, 2016

Buckwheat Sings
Feb 9, 2005
Did you guys know that Abraham Lincoln was a Republican? The guy freed the slaves! He's a clear indicator of what our modern republican party stands for.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Bob le Moche posted:

Those engagements are not "limited" for the people at the receiving end of them

They are awfully limited compared to the poo poo that happened thanks in no small part to American third parties spoiling a vote in 2000.

Bob le Moche
Jul 10, 2011

Lemming posted:

Yeah, Democratic representatives like John Lewis have to be dragged kicking and screaming into supporting progressive causes.

I don't know what to tell you, it's cool that you have faith in your government dads to do what's best for you but I care about politics too much to just leave it to politicians and limit my involvement to casting one vote every 4 years

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

TomViolence posted:

And this is a defence of American democracy because...

I mean if the silent majority is actually terrible, then why should that mean A) they'll vote for Hillary and B) that'll be a good thing?

A. Its not a defense of American democracy? Its a critique of the belief American democracy is repressing progressivism

B. Because history has proven time and time again that large swarths of angry and disenfranchised people are more willing to buy into easy and dangerous answers like Nationalism than they are to buy into progressive ideas. The idea that if we destabilize the status quo we will somehow push America in a better direction is wishful thinking. Reshuffling the deck of a stable political system is far more likely to push that country backwards than it is going to push that country forwards. Progressive reform is more likely to come slowly in a stable democracy than it is to become quickly in a destabilized system.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Bob le Moche posted:

I don't know what to tell you, it's cool that you have faith in your government dads to do what's best for you but I care about politics too much to just leave it to politicians and limit my involvement to casting one vote every 4 years

This is just a non sequitur. Where did I say people should only vote in presidential elections, like you're implying here?

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Bill Clinton committed the genocide of 500,000 Iraqi Children

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RM0uvgHKZe8

it was worth it

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I've yet to meet an accelerationist who wasn't a member of the educated white male middle class. There hasn't been a Republican presidential candidate in 30 years that was less hawkish than the Democrat and you loving know it.

Hillary's foreign policy is the number one reason I have any hesitancy at all about voting for her, but the only other option's much worse and I will not be complicit in his foreign or domestic policy being implemented.

Bob le Moche
Jul 10, 2011

Eifert Posting posted:

I've yet to meet an accelerationist who wasn't a member of the educated white male middle class. There hasn't been a Republican presidential candidate in 30 years that was less hawkish than the Democrat and you loving know it.

I didn't see anyone in this thread advocating for accelerationism or voting for the republicans.
The whole history of the southern strategy switch is an interesting thing to bring up though. Because I think it's important to be informed and realize that political parties exist only to be elected, that they can be made to change, and that unwavering loyalty to one is probably a bad idea

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Bob le Moche posted:

I didn't see anyone in this thread advocating for accelerationism or voting for the republicans.
The whole history of the southern strategy switch is an interesting thing to bring up though. Because I think it's important to be informed and realize that political parties exist only to be elected, that they can be made to change, and that unwavering loyalty to one is probably a bad idea

I don't see anyone advocating unwavering loyalty to one party either

TomViolence
Feb 19, 2013

Eifert Posting posted:

Hillary's foreign policy is the number one reason I have any hesitancy at all about voting for her, but the only other option's much worse and I will not be complicit in his foreign or domestic policy being implemented.

Criticism of Hillary is not an endorsement of Trump or the republican party.

Polygynous
Dec 13, 2006
welp

TomViolence posted:

Gary Johnson will save us.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer

TomViolence posted:

Absolutely. As long as you're voting for her.

Lol the Panthers, do you know what the word means?
VVVVV

Eifert Posting fucked around with this message at 02:47 on Oct 6, 2016

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008

Buckwheat Sings posted:

That's probably more to do with the republican machine pushing to destroy her for about 20 years now. Maybe we REALLY do need more 24/7 coverage of more Bengazi hearings.

Is this supposed to be a defense? That her opponents are successful at persuading people of distrusting her?

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Stretched out over any kind of time frame, US politics-as-usual is probably the greater harm.

Eifert Posting posted:

I've yet to meet an accelerationist who wasn't a member of the educated white male middle class.
black panthers so white

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Stretched out over any kind of time frame, US politics-as-usual is probably the greater harm.

Explain how a destabilized US is better off in the long term for the world than a stable one

Polygynous
Dec 13, 2006
welp
People are dumb enough to believe the Republican party's lies, better not vote for Hillary.

TomViolence
Feb 19, 2013

Eifert Posting posted:

Absolutely. As long as you're voting for her.

I can't, but since her policies will reverberate around the world with the force and significance of a gunshot I still consider my opinion worth hearing, if not listening to. Dubya and Barry have done a hell of a lot to destroy any faith the world at large has in America and I don't see Another Clinton or, god forbid, Trump doing much better. The future should not be an American boot stomping on every human face it can find forever and until its leaders are made properly accountable that's the way it's probably gonna be.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy

Lemming posted:

I completely agree there are things that Democrats need to do better on. The best way to push for change there is to get them into power so they can be pushed leftwards in primaries, like with Bernie, which gets more progressive candidates into power. loving off and going third party as an alternative gives more relative power to Republican politicians, which makes progress harder.

You're right, we can have progress next year.

Main Paineframe posted:

But what are you punishing her and the DNC for? What misconduct did they commit? You said you hate Hillary because the DNC did bad things. What bad things did they do?

I never said I hated Hillary. How did you come to that conclusion? "If I'm not with you I'm against you" is an interesting way to think.

The DNC is supposed to not show favoritism. It did.

Now I am.

Bob le Moche posted:

Sorry but the Democratic Party has not been fighting for progress. Social movements have been fighting for progress and pressuring the Democrats into giving away concessions. Again, don't get your democracy backwards.

Democrats are not Progressives, they're actually "Not Republicans," you're right.

Mel Mudkiper posted:

We will all hang together, or separately.

Eifert Posting posted:

They are awfully limited compared to the poo poo that happened thanks in no small part to American third parties spoiling a vote in 2000.

About half of eligible voters didn't vote. This is a nonsense argument.

TomViolence posted:

To some people it is I guess?

Polygynous posted:

Gary Johnson will save us.

He just kind of dropped out, though?

Bob le Moche
Jul 10, 2011

Mel Mudkiper posted:

B. Because history has proven time and time again that large swarths of angry and disenfranchised people are more willing to buy into easy and dangerous answers like Nationalism than they are to buy into progressive ideas.

Bernie Sanders actually showed better chances against Trump than Hillary did in the polls. The large swarths of angry disenfranchised people want socialism, not barbarism.

Fascism is what happens when you let the "moderate" party of liberal capitalists completely suppress any and all leftist alternatives to it. Hitler was not elected, he was appointed chancellor by a supposedly moderate and pragmatic government.

BernieLomax
May 29, 2002

TomViolence posted:

This is not a quote from page 1.

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
The Republicans and Democrats both agree with the American empire.

Bill Clinton killed 500,000 iraqi children.

HELLO?

Ya'll seem to be ignoring this.

Also the link I posted which has quotes from current US Servicemen talking about how the US is training Jihadis in Syria.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

TomViolence posted:

The future should not be an American boot stomping on every human face it can find forever and until its leaders are made properly accountable that's the way it's probably gonna be.

Yes, but even then, posit a future in which its not someone's boot. As I said before and you never responded to, nations are fundamentally unethical. The very concept of the nation is an unethical conceit. The US is only unethical in its power because it has power. Any nation put into the position of a global superpower would be as bad as us, if not worse, because it is the nature of nations to exploit those weaker than themselves.

You cannot simply remove America from the equation of global power and expect a better world because someone else will just fill that vacuum and considering the nations likely to fill that void, I would not be thrilled with the replacement. The best way to make the world better is to push the established power bases as far left as you can. However, that is not going to happen through any sort of radical event. You push for the best choice in the primary, and then pick the best remaining choice in the national election. It's not a great solution, but I have not seen a pragmatic solution that is better.

• Locked thread