Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ImpactVector
Feb 24, 2007

HAHAHAHA FOOLS!!
I AM SO SMART!

Uh oh. What did he do now?

Nap Ghost
Anyone have a black and white printer friendly character sheet yet?

I prefer to do character sheets on my B&W laser so they don't smudge. And the colored boxes end up being pretty dark for areas you write stuff in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

ImpactVector posted:

Anyone have a black and white printer friendly character sheet yet?

I prefer to do character sheets on my B&W laser so they don't smudge. And the colored boxes end up being pretty dark for areas you write stuff in.

Someone in my group added white boxes to all the areas where you add text, which should work for printing black and white. I can email it to you if you message me your email address, or I can upload it somewhere if there's a good place for that.

ImpactVector
Feb 24, 2007

HAHAHAHA FOOLS!!
I AM SO SMART!

Nap Ghost

Sir Kodiak posted:

Someone in my group added white boxes to all the areas where you add text, which should work for printing black and white. I can email it to you if you message me your email address, or I can upload it somewhere if there's a good place for that.
That sounds great! You could shoot it to my username at gmail if that's easiest.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Sent.

ShineDog
May 21, 2007
It is inevitable!
Strike is a really loving hard name to search for, btw.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
So here's a random thought I just had, if one were running a Transformers style game with Strike, how would you handle the actual Transformation aspects, out of combat it is probably pretty simple, but I imagine it'd be a bit more complicated for the Tactical Combat part of the game

Also if one wanted to use Strike for a Mecha campaign, any particular rule changes or modifications one should use or keep in mind?

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

You are now a slimy little toad
The Great Twist

drrockso20 posted:

So here's a random thought I just had, if one were running a Transformers style game with Strike, how would you handle the actual Transformation aspects, out of combat it is probably pretty simple, but I imagine it'd be a bit more complicated for the Tactical Combat part of the game

Also if one wanted to use Strike for a Mecha campaign, any particular rule changes or modifications one should use or keep in mind?

Why wouldn't you always be in robot fighting man form for tactical combat? Do you lose something significant by not being a taxi cab or dump truck?

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

drrockso20 posted:

When they actually turn into a vehicle, use the rules for vehicles.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Yeah, I'd think the issue with adapting Transformers isn't the difficulty of modelling Optimus tooling around on the grid as a semi in the middle of a gun battle, but that "tactical combat" is the exact opposite of the extremity of post-continuity action that is the films. A pure story-game would do a much better job of capturing how the movies disregard time and space to create a flurry of impressions, as compared to orderly scooting minifigs around a mat.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Sir Kodiak posted:

Yeah, I'd think the issue with adapting Transformers isn't the difficulty of modelling Optimus tooling around on the grid as a semi in the middle of a gun battle, but that "tactical combat" is the exact opposite of the extremity of post-continuity action that is the films. A pure story-game would do a much better job of capturing how the movies disregard time and space to create a flurry of impressions, as compared to orderly scooting minifigs around a mat.

Clearly the solution is to play the combat out in Strike! with minifigs, but film it in stop motion.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

You could possibly do it with minifigs, but you'd have to give all the characters teleportation powers that represent impossible movement while the camera didn't happen to be looking at them, redraw the battle map every round or two and scatter the figures across it chaotically, randomly determine how many actions each characters gets a round, etc.

ImpactVector
Feb 24, 2007

HAHAHAHA FOOLS!!
I AM SO SMART!

Nap Ghost
Thanks again. That looks great.

I threw it up on Google drive if anyone else wants to take a look.

Jimbozig
Sep 30, 2003

I like sharing and ice cream and animals.

Sir Kodiak posted:

You could possibly do it with minifigs, but you'd have to give all the characters teleportation powers that represent impossible movement while the camera didn't happen to be looking at them, redraw the battle map every round or two and scatter the figures across it chaotically, randomly determine how many actions each characters gets a round, etc.

Why are we trying to emulate Michael Bay's cinematography? When I think of playing Transformers, that isn't what I think of.

Anyway, check out the vehicles mini-expansion. And maybe for chargen instead of Background and Origin, you can give them Robot Type and Vehicle Type. You could also make certain Skills/Tricks/etc. only useable in the appropriate form.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Jimbozig posted:

Why are we trying to emulate Michael Bay's cinematography?

Because it's the dominant component of the "Transformers style," which is what he asked about :shrug:

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Sir Kodiak posted:

Because it's the dominant component of the "Transformers style," which is what he asked about :shrug:

Actually wasn't thinking of the Bay movies at all here, was thinking more the various cartoons and comics(especially the recent Transformers vs GI Joe series), as well as probably most prominently the War For/Fall of Cybertron games and Transformers Devastation which integrate the vehicle modes into combat

Also the rest of you guys have given some good advice, I had somehow forgotten about the Vehicle supplement, that will be helpful

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
So yeah. I'm the guy. I ran an entire Strike campaign from level 1 to level 10 and only just found out what a miss token is.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Gort posted:

So yeah. I'm the guy. I ran an entire Strike campaign from level 1 to level 10 and only just found out what a miss token is.

You get a miss token for not finding it.

megane
Jun 20, 2008

I made a fillable character sheet in case anybody wants it.

Ratpick
Oct 9, 2012

And no one ate dinner that night.

homullus posted:

When they actually turn into a vehicle, use the rules for vehicles.

Actually, here's a thought: make all the characters effectively multiform shapechangers with the multirole shapechanger feat for free and just limit their number of forms to two (one form for robot and another for vehicle), and have them choose one of the normal roles for their robot form and vehicle roles for vehicle form.

The problem with this approach is, of course, that there aren't all that many forms to choose from, but you could effectively make every character a hybrid where they have a single transformation power of their choice from the Shapechanger on top of the powers of another class. Of course, when you transform you lose access to all your powers from your normal class.

I may be thinking too hard about how to represent transforming toy robots in a tabletop RPG.

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

You are now a slimy little toad
The Great Twist

Sir Kodiak posted:

I like this idea as part of a cutting edge artsy indie game that seeks to represent various auteur directors' visions through tabletop tactical combat.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

David Lynch: players are told only half the rules, but not that this is the case
Jim Jarmusch: characters interact with NPCs exclusively through conversation, no skill rolls are made as the only way to attain a goal is to assume you did, skipping the respective scene completely
Coen Brothers: entire skill chart comprised of twists

shitty poker hand
Jun 13, 2013
Quentin Tarantino: all rolls in combat are treated as 1s or 6s.

ImpactVector
Feb 24, 2007

HAHAHAHA FOOLS!!
I AM SO SMART!

Nap Ghost
With the prospect of actually running the game I've gotten more serious about something I've been kicking around for a while:

It's still super ugly (and will likely stay that way for the most part) and missing a lot of functionality. But the bones are mostly there.

I need to add power icons to the printouts and actually add the encounter builder (right now it just prints out everything). And template monster support, which is the main reason I wanted to write the application in the first place. The business logic is mostly there, I just need to figure out how I want the UI to work.

Plus I seem to keep finding more business rules as I go. Apparently it's possible to have a burst 0. Whoops!

gourdcaptain
Nov 16, 2012

Should the Channeler's Calling the Landslide Wall encounter be damageable to take down like all other walls in the game?
EDIT: Does the at-will they have in the same Calling that adds to charge damage for each piece of low cover they destroy in the process count the extra damage as an effect line for purposes of glancing blows?

gourdcaptain fucked around with this message at 06:04 on Oct 9, 2016

Jimbozig
Sep 30, 2003

Alright, I've made the changes to the PDFs and am about to export and upload them to Drivethru. The FAQ/Errata doc has been updated and I'll make it into a PDF to upload to Drivethru as well. Thank you for all the feedback, folks!

Hyphz, the stuff in pink text is the stuff that has changed since you said you updated your character builder with the Errata changes, so you can look at that for any further updates. (Hopefully I didn't forget to change the text color on anything.)

bbcisdabomb
Jan 15, 2008

SHEESH

Jimbozig posted:

Alright, I've made the changes to the PDFs and am about to export and upload them to Drivethru. The FAQ/Errata doc has been updated and I'll make it into a PDF to upload to Drivethru as well. Thank you for all the feedback, folks!

Awesome, this should be just in time to have a paper copy for the game I'm planning in a few weeks!

bbcisdabomb
Jan 15, 2008

SHEESH

Jimbozig posted:

Hyphz, the stuff in pink text is the stuff that has changed since you said you updated your character builder with the Errata changes, so you can look at that for any further updates. (Hopefully I didn't forget to change the text color on anything.)

Doublepostin', but I should be able to buy a POD copy, right? Driveethru isn't giving me the option.

ImpactVector
Feb 24, 2007

HAHAHAHA FOOLS!!
I AM SO SMART!

Nap Ghost
Just wanted to say thanks again Jim, for making such a cool game.

My group tonight thought it was the perfect combination of Fate, Savage Worlds, and *World on the noncombat side and Savage Worlds and D&D on the combat side. I was hoping and expecting they'd like it, but it's gratifying that it went so well. It sounds like this might be their new favorite system.

This is a group that ended up with a strong dislike for 4e after I ran the Slaying Stone (somewhat poorly) and a PF/3e-centric DM took over for the next 4e campaign. So it's awesome that we seem to have found a crunchy/tactical combat game that we can all enjoy.

They created characters using the background questionnaire and letting them fill in the rest, and then they actually surprised me by picking classes, powers, feats and roles all at the table in under an hour and a half and we started playing an intro scenario I'd half fleshed out. I wasn't expecting to do a combat, but they were all for it, and I ended up running a quick combat that I'd prepared just in case while I was puttering around with my encounter builder:

1x Crushinator
2x ShieldBot
4x PewBot

They ended up crushing it with only two strikes (in a group of 5 PCs), but I forgot the defender mechanics on the ShieldBots a few times and let a few things slide as we all learned the rules together.

For next time I'm going to print up power cards for everyone and see if I can print out a few different reskinnable encounters. It was tough trying to teach the rules with one book that the players were using and a tablet I was using to flip between my encounter and the player powers to try to teach the game.

Scyther
Dec 29, 2010

ImpactVector posted:

Just wanted to say thanks again Jim, for making such a cool game.

My group tonight thought it was the perfect combination of Fate, Savage Worlds, and *World on the noncombat side and Savage Worlds and D&D on the combat side. I was hoping and expecting they'd like it, but it's gratifying that it went so well. It sounds like this might be their new favorite system.

This is a group that ended up with a strong dislike for 4e after I ran the Slaying Stone (somewhat poorly) and a PF/3e-centric DM took over for the next 4e campaign. So it's awesome that we seem to have found a crunchy/tactical combat game that we can all enjoy.

They created characters using the background questionnaire and letting them fill in the rest, and then they actually surprised me by picking classes, powers, feats and roles all at the table in under an hour and a half and we started playing an intro scenario I'd half fleshed out. I wasn't expecting to do a combat, but they were all for it, and I ended up running a quick combat that I'd prepared just in case while I was puttering around with my encounter builder:

1x Crushinator
2x ShieldBot
4x PewBot

They ended up crushing it with only two strikes (in a group of 5 PCs), but I forgot the defender mechanics on the ShieldBots a few times and let a few things slide as we all learned the rules together.

For next time I'm going to print up power cards for everyone and see if I can print out a few different reskinnable encounters. It was tough trying to teach the rules with one book that the players were using and a tablet I was using to flip between my encounter and the player powers to try to teach the game.

It looks like you forgot to increase the damage and traits when you converted that Brute up to an Elite :ninja:

ImpactVector
Feb 24, 2007

HAHAHAHA FOOLS!!
I AM SO SMART!

Nap Ghost

Scyther posted:

It looks like you forgot to increase the damage and traits when you converted that Brute up to an Elite :ninja:
Ah, crap. I figured there was something I was forgetting on him.

Oh well. I was trying to ease them into the system with this little half-session. Gloves come off next time. :black101:

Jimbozig
Sep 30, 2003

bbcisdabomb posted:

Doublepostin', but I should be able to buy a POD copy, right? Driveethru isn't giving me the option.

This is because when you update files, they need to get approved by the printer before they will put it up for sale again. That should be done tomorrow, I hope. As soon as the printer okays it, I'll send an email to their support team and they'll get it back up right away.

Maybe there is some clever way to avoid this two-day gap in print version availability without having people end up with un-updated versions, but I don't know it. I wouldn't want to leave the un-updated versions for sale while waiting for the printer to approve new versions.

bbcisdabomb
Jan 15, 2008

SHEESH

Jimbozig posted:

This is because when you update files, they need to get approved by the printer before they will put it up for sale again. That should be done tomorrow, I hope. As soon as the printer okays it, I'll send an email to their support team and they'll get it back up right away.

Maybe there is some clever way to avoid this two-day gap in print version availability without having people end up with un-updated versions, but I don't know it. I wouldn't want to leave the un-updated versions for sale while waiting for the printer to approve new versions.

Approving the files with the printer is a good reason to not have it for sale. I'll just keep an eye on the page.

ElegantFugue
Jun 5, 2012

The changes look pretty good. Will you be updating the Trouble in Hogtown module to reflect them?

Jimbozig
Sep 30, 2003

Updated print versions have now been approved for sale, so if you were waiting to buy, go do it now!

As for updating Trouble in Hogtown, I might get around to that eventually, but don't wait for it. That's just a PDF, so it's no big deal if you buy it now and I update it later - you'll always have access to the newest version on Drivethru.

hyphz
Aug 5, 2003

Number 1 Nerd Tear Farmer 2022.

Keep it up, champ.

Also you're a skeleton warrior now. Kree.
Unlockable Ben

Jimbozig posted:

That is awesome of you and I am honored. Also, updated the character generator with the new errata.

(Does the damage on Speak with Dead scale the same way the damage on other at-wills does?)

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Thank you for making that character builder. All my players built their characters with it, and it was great that they had almost all the errata (this was a few days ago) built in.

Good first half-session using the system as well. I leaned on Favors maybe a bit hard during the information-gathering side of the run, but we tried most of the major rules other than combat (which I'm still very curious to see) and they all felt pretty good.

What's the thinking on how new complications are earned using natural advancement? The former – when you spend enough action points in combat – doesn't seem to have any relation to what complications are, unlike how you can learn a trick for a skill by using a lot of action points on that skill. Is this basically just to maintain the action-point based pacing of natural advancement? The latter – when you don't get medical help or the medical help fails – seems to encourage not getting medical help, since complications are strictly a positive for a character.

Just trying to get my head around it, since the trick ones are more straightforward.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Sir Kodiak posted:

Thank you for making that character builder. All my players built their characters with it, and it was great that they had almost all the errata (this was a few days ago) built in.

Good first half-session using the system as well. I leaned on Favors maybe a bit hard during the information-gathering side of the run, but we tried most of the major rules other than combat (which I'm still very curious to see) and they all felt pretty good.

What's the thinking on how new complications are earned using natural advancement? The former – when you spend enough action points in combat – doesn't seem to have any relation to what complications are, unlike how you can learn a trick for a skill by using a lot of action points on that skill. Is this basically just to maintain the action-point based pacing of natural advancement? The latter – when you don't get medical help or the medical help fails – seems to encourage not getting medical help, since complications are strictly a positive for a character.

Just trying to get my head around it, since the trick ones are more straightforward.

I personally think it's just a timer. By the time you use that many Action Points, you should have had more story water under the story bridge and have ideas about the next complication.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

Jimbozig posted:

Updated print versions have now been approved for sale, so if you were waiting to buy, go do it now!

As for updating Trouble in Hogtown, I might get around to that eventually, but don't wait for it. That's just a PDF, so it's no big deal if you buy it now and I update it later - you'll always have access to the newest version on Drivethru.

It looks like there are duplicate pdf links on DriveThruRPG:

Strike.pdf | 18.6MB
Strike_Digital.pdf | 15.6MB

Am I right to assume the larger one is the one with all the changes?

bbcisdabomb
Jan 15, 2008

SHEESH
You might want to check the mobile template for strikerpg.com - there's a really nice looking car where your logo should be.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gourdcaptain
Nov 16, 2012

The Reliable Feat errata did not make it into the new PDF.