Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

The Cardinals and Yankees aren't in the postseason, so I am fine with any of the teams winning it all. :toot:

If (when) the Cubs break my heart, I'll be rooting for the Indians the most.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

It's all a matter of perspective...
Grimey Drawer
I don't know why everyone keeps saying "do it for Vin"- he's back to being a Giants fan now after 67 years in the wilderness.

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Kevlar v2.0 posted:

The Cardinals and Yankees aren't in the postseason, so I am fine with any of the teams winning it all. :toot:

If (when) the Cubs break my heart, I'll be rooting for the Indians the most.

I think I'm mostly with you here. Except I still say gently caress the Giants.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Beer Loses more than a game Sunday ...
We lost our Captain, our Teammate, our Friend Kelly Calabro...
Rest in Peace my friend you will be greatly missed..
Jose Bautista is now equal with the great Joe Carter for most post season home runs in Blue Jays history.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves
Thanks Blue Jays :toot:

marioinblack
Sep 21, 2007

Number 1 Bullshit
I normally root against division rivals, but Joey Bats and EE being awesome makes that impossible.

St. Dogbert
Mar 17, 2011
New theory: The reason Donald Trump wants to build a wall is to keep Marco Estrada out.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Rangers are going to get swept

I am going to become an alcoholic.

But hey, almost caught a Donaldson foul ball today.

shadok
Dec 12, 2004

You tried to destroy it once before, Commodore.
The result was a wrecked ship and a dead crew.
Fun Shoe

Shinjobi posted:

Rangers are going to get swept

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vDCaOrFA8Y4

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
I know, but I need hatred in my heart to make miracles happen and this was pretty much the textbook way to make it happen.

But since we're at Jays/Rangers, I'd just like to once again clarify:

I don't give a poo poo about the bat flip, I don't condone plunking batters due to "rules of the game," my only issue is Bautista sliding dirty at Odor. Donaldson seems like a cool dude, and nobody else on the Toronto roster really moves the needle for me one way or another. So I'm really hoping for a pretty vanilla ALDS between these two teams, when it's all said and done.

Duke Pukem
Oct 23, 2010

Three cheers for dark beer!

Goddamn it Rangers

Ragnarok the Red
Jun 21, 2002

Care Bear Stairs posted:

Goddamn it Rangers

I kept waiting the entire month of September for Cole to unfuck himself and it never happened, and my :ohdear: uneasiness before the game came to fruition

Drunk Canuck
Jan 9, 2010

Robots ruin all the fun of a good adventure.

Brockenstein posted:

Thanks Blue Jays :toot:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MYtjpIwamos

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope
For the sake of Kris Bryant's dreamy eyes history
Cubs

For the sake of Puig, my friend
Dodgers

Still pretty okay
Jays
Rangers

Eh, nah
Nationals
Indians

For the love of god no
Red Sox
Giants

edit: I forgot that the Rangers existed, whoops

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Care Bear Stairs posted:

Goddamn it Rangers

YOU HAD ONE JOB.

Kevlar v2.0 posted:

Wow, rude. :(

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Kevlar v2.0 posted:

The Cardinals front office will hack into the Baseball Database and insert themselves into the NLCS with a roster of new players, all named Stumpy Barnman, Puny Winkybard, and Spindly O'Tinylimb and win the World Series.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

R.D. Mangles posted:

The Cardinals front office will hack into the Baseball Database and insert themselves into the NLCS with a roster of new players, all named Stumpy Barnman, Puny Winkybard, and Spindly O'Tinylimb and win the World Series.

Honestly, gently caress The Cardinals, but if Stumpy Barnman is gonna be the World Series MVP, it might be worth it.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Inspector_666 posted:

Honestly, gently caress The Cardinals, but if Stumpy Barnman is gonna be the World Series MVP, it might be worth it.

that is fair

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

I tend to get sick of teams that win a lot, with the exception of Chicago teams. I have a soft spot for the Red Sox because I was in college in Boston from 2004-2007 and that was magical.

gently caress the Patriots though.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Kevlar v2.0 posted:

I tend to get sick of teams that win a lot, with the exception of Chicago teams. I have a soft spot for the Red Sox because I was in college in Boston from 2004-2007 and that was magical.

I was in college in Boston (ok technically Medford) from 2005-2011 and I hate Boston and the Red Sox with such passion that people tell me "Well you obviously haven't lived there."

(gently caress the Patriots forever, and I will lord the helmet catch over them until the end of time.)

Also, Thor's tweet made me go re-read "Green Fields of the Mind" and I feel like the last paragraph should be inscribed on my headstone.

quote:

It breaks your heart. It is designed to break your heart. The game begins in the spring, when everything else begins again, and it blossoms in the summer, filling the afternoons and evenings, and then as soon as the chill rains come, it stops and leaves you to face the fall alone. You count on it, rely on it to buffer the passage of time, to keep the memory of sunshine and high skies alive, and then just when the days are all twilight, when you need it most, it stops. Today, October 2, a Sunday of rain and broken branches and leaf-clogged drains and slick streets, it stopped, and summer was gone.

Somehow, the summer seemed to slip by faster this time. Maybe it wasn't this summer, but all the summers that, in this my fortieth summer, slipped by so fast. There comes a time when every summer will have something of autumn about it. Whatever the reason, it seemed to me that I was investing more and more in baseball, making the game do more of the work that keeps time fat and slow and lazy. I was counting on the game's deep patterns, three strikes, three outs, three times three innings, and its deepest impulse, to go out and back, to leave and to return home, to set the order of the day and to organize the daylight. I wrote a few things this last summer, this summer that did not last, nothing grand but some things, and yet that work was just camouflage. The real activity was done with the radio--not the all-seeing, all-falsifying television--and was the playing of the game in the only place it will last, the enclosed green field of the mind. There, in that warm, bright place, what the old poet called Mutability does not so quickly come.

But out here, on Sunday, October 2, where it rains all day, Dame Mutability never loses. She was in the crowd at Fenway yesterday, a gray day full of bluster and contradiction, when the Red Sox came up in the last of the ninth trailing Baltimore 8-5, while the Yankees, rain-delayed against Detroit, only needing to win one or have Boston lose one to win it all, sat in New York washing down cold cuts with beer and watching the Boston game. Boston had won two, the Yankees had lost two, and suddenly it seemed as if the whole season might go to the last day, or beyond, except here was Boston losing 8-5, while New York sat in its family room and put its feet up. Lynn, both ankles hurting now as they had in July, hits a single down the right-field line. The crowd stirs. It is on its feet. Hobson, third baseman, former Bear Bryant quarterback, strong, quiet, over 100 RBIs, goes for three breaking balls and is out. The goddess smiles and encourages her agent, a canny journeyman named Nelson Briles.

Now comes a pinch hitter, Bernie Carbo, onetime Rookie of the Year, erratic, quick, a shade too handsome, so laid-back he is always, in his soul, stretched out in the tall grass, one arm under his head, watching the clouds and laughing; now he looks over some low stuff unworthy of him and then, uncoiling, sends one out, straight on a rising line, over the center-field wall, no cheap Fenway shot, but all of it, the physics as elegant as the arc the ball describes.

New England is on its feet, roaring. The summer will not pass. Roaring, they recall the evening, late and cold, in 1975, the sixth game of the World Series, perhaps the greatest baseball game played in the last fifty years, when Carbo, loose and easy, had uncoiled to tie the game that Fisk would win. It is 8-7, one out, and school will never start, rain will never come, sun will warm the back of your neck forever. Now Bailey, picked up from the National League recently, big arms, heavy gut, experienced, new to the league and the club; he fouls off two and then, checking, tentative, a big man off balance, he pops a soft liner to the first baseman. It is suddenly darker and later, and the announcer doing the game coast to coast, a New Yorker who works for a New York television station, sounds relieved. His little world, well-lit, hot-combed, split-second-timed, had no capacity to absorb this much gritty, grainy, contrary reality.

Cox swings a bat, stretches his long arms, bends his back, the rookie from Pawtucket who broke in two weeks earlier with a record six straight hits, the kid drafted ahead of Fred Lynn, rangy, smooth, cool. The count runs two and two, Briles is cagey, nothing too good, and Cox swings, the ball beginning toward the mound and then, in a jaunty, wayward dance, skipping past Briles, feinting to the right, skimming the last of the grass, finding the dirt, moving now like some small, purposeful marine creature negotiating the green deep, easily avoiding the jagged rock of second base, traveling steady and straight now out into the dark, silent recesses of center field.

The aisles are jammed, the place is on its feet, the wrappers, the programs, the Coke cups and peanut shells, the doctrines of an afternoon; the anxieties, the things that have to be done tomorrow, the regrets about yesterday, the accumulation of a summer: all forgotten, while hope, the anchor, bites and takes hold where a moment before it seemed we would be swept out with the tide. Rice is up. Rice whom Aaron had said was the only one he'd seen with the ability to break his records. Rice the best clutch hitter on the club, with the best slugging percentage in the league. Rice, so quick and strong he once checked his swing halfway through and snapped the bat in two. Rice the Hammer of God sent to scourge the Yankees, the sound was overwhelming, fathers pounded their sons on the back, cars pulled off the road, households froze, New England exulted in its blessedness, and roared its thanks for all good things, for Rice and for a summer stretching halfway through October. Briles threw, Rice swung, and it was over. One pitch, a fly to center, and it stopped. Summer died in New England and like rain sliding off a roof, the crowd slipped out of Fenway, quickly, with only a steady murmur of concern for the drive ahead remaining of the roar. Mutability had turned the seasons and translated hope to memory once again. And, once again, she had used baseball, our best invention to stay change, to bring change on.

That is why it breaks my heart, that game--not because in New York they could win because Boston lost; in that, there is a rough justice, and a reminder to the Yankees of how slight and fragile are the circumstances that exalt one group of human beings over another. It breaks my heart because it was meant to, because it was meant to foster in me again the illusion that there was something abiding, some pattern and some impulse that could come together to make a reality that would resist the corrosion; and because, after it had fostered again that most hungered-for illusion, the game was meant to stop, and betray precisely what it promised.

Of course, there are those who learn after the first few times. They grow out of sports. And there are others who were born with the wisdom to know that nothing lasts. These are the truly tough among us, the ones who can live without illusion, or without even the hope of illusion. I am not that grown-up or up-to-date. I am a simpler creature, tied to more primitive patterns and cycles. I need to think something lasts forever, and it might as well be that state of being that is a game; it might as well be that, in a green field, in the sun.

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

Inspector_666 posted:

I was in college in Boston (ok technically Medford) from 2005-2011 and I hate Boston and the Red Sox with such passion that people tell me "Well you obviously haven't lived there."

(gently caress the Patriots forever, and I will lord the helmet catch over them until the end of time.)

Yeah my soft spot only applies to the Red Sox because as a Cubs fan, we were in the same boat, both having not won in forever and both having suffered crushing defeats in the 2003 CS. I hate the Bruins and Celtics too.

That said, I was born in Cleveland and still have family there, so I'm rooting for the Indians in the ALDS.

Pancakes
May 21, 2001

Crypto-Rump Roast

Kevlar v2.0 posted:

Being a Cardinals fan in Providence in 2004 sucked. A lot. Red Sox fans will not only talk poo poo with a stupid accent, they will burn their opponents in effigy. I lived in St. Louis in 2006 though, so that made up for it.

shadok
Dec 12, 2004

Fun Shoe
Suspected beer-thrower from ALWC game turned himself in and has been charged with criminal mischief.

https://www.thestar.com/news/gta/2016/10/06/blue-jays-beer-tossing-incident-who-threw-that-brew-the-internet-has-its-own-ideas--.html

"Mischief" is one of those vague catch-all charges in Canadian law that lets the police arrest you without really having done something specifically illegal under another statute. He could theoretically go to jail but most likely the punishment will be a fine and a criminal record.

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

Every single year the Ivy League takes a break from fucking up the world through its various alumni to fuck up everyone's bracket instead.
Booked for aggravated impoliteness.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
I suppose the MLB's punishment will come later?

LonesomeCrowdedWest
May 8, 2008

Shinjobi posted:

I suppose the MLB's punishment will come later?

I think I saw a statement that they would ban him from all mlb parks when identified . Not sure if they'd do any more than that

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

LonesomeCrowdedWest posted:

I think I saw a statement that they would ban him from all mlb parks when identified . Not sure if they'd do any more than that

Pretty sure they can't do anything more than that.

shadok
Dec 12, 2004

Fun Shoe
Note that when Scott Gilbert, unit commander of 52 Division, spoke to the press yesterday he listed the charges they were considering: "assault with a weapon, common nuisance, mischief to interfere with the lawful use and enjoyment of property, and mischief endangering life."

Maximum sentence for mischief endangering life is life imprisonment.

Don't throw beers, assholes.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

IcePhoenix posted:

Pretty sure they can't do anything more than that.
Fly him to St. Louis for every Cardinals home series so fans can lecture him for three hours a night on cheering for a team "The Cardinal Way".

canadianclassic
Nov 3, 2004

Crazy Ted posted:

Fly him to St. Louis for every Cardinals home series so fans can lecture him for three hours a night on cheering for a team "The Cardinal Way".

I'd take the life in prison instead, thanks.

Dr. Fraiser Chain
May 18, 2004

Redlining my shit posting machine

Just get it over with/Pear Baby
Cubs

We cool
Indians
Dodgers

Whatevs
Jays
Nationals

Bush was an owner
Texas

gently caress Off
Red Sox

literally worse than Hitler
Giants

Dr. Fraiser Chain fucked around with this message at 04:00 on Oct 7, 2016

Der Meister
May 12, 2001

It's funny how much less antagonistic most of you normal (NON-GIANTS) fans are at a dodgers world series win this year than in seasons past, probably more to do with Puig/Vin than the fact that the Giants have been clowning them for six years now.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Der Meister posted:

It's funny how much less antagonistic most of you normal (NON-GIANTS) fans are at a dodgers world series win this year than in seasons past, probably more to do with Puig/Vin than the fact that the Giants have been clowning them for six years now.
Puin
Vin
Kershaw

It's impossible to hate the Dodgers because of them.

Der Meister
May 12, 2001

The One Truth
Dodgers

Cool
Cubs
Indians (maybe change the name...?)

ok sure
Blue Jays
Nationals

I guess...for Adrian
Texas

gently caress Off
Red Sox

I'd rather require emergent surgery daily for the next six weeks
Giants

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen

Sydin posted:

:lol: if you think Arrieta is going to outduel post season MadBum at AT&T.

Double LOL if you think the Cubs sweep this poo poo.

canadianclassic
Nov 3, 2004

gently caress this schedule. I'm not sure if I'm going to get to watch any Jays games as they happen :(

LonesomeCrowdedWest
May 8, 2008

canadianclassic posted:

gently caress this schedule. I'm not sure if I'm going to get to watch any Jays games as they happen :(

quit your job this is clearly more important! or call in sick...

Stiev Awt
Mar 20, 2007

I am fortunate enough to work afternoons, and live in the west.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

the loving espn radio affiliate didn't have the jays-rangers game on this afternoon, instead having some dumb radio show where people yelled at each other about jay cutler. WHAT THE gently caress? I checked and literally every other playoff game is on the radio.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!

Crazy Ted posted:

Puin
Vin
Kershaw

It's impossible to hate the Dodgers because of them.

This is untrue.

• Locked thread