Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

I guess the dust is free

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord

sellouts posted:

I guess the dust is free

I was trying to think of a joke about the dust, I'm glad someone made it.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
Any tips on trimming? Apparently I'm terrible at it, I can never keep my plane in level flight.

edit-- I just discovered the take off indicated on the trim wheel. That'll keep things easier :downs:

Count Thrashula fucked around with this message at 16:56 on Oct 10, 2016

Shart Carbuncle
Aug 4, 2004

Star Trek:
The Motion Picture
That new X-Plane footage looks great. I've long found X-Plane to run better than FSX's ancient rendering system, but it looked kinda bland. That video is so dramatic.

It would be my sim of choice to recreate Nightmare at 20,000 Feet

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck

COOL CORN posted:

Any tips on trimming? Apparently I'm terrible at it, I can never keep my plane in level flight.

edit-- I just discovered the take off indicated on the trim wheel. That'll keep things easier :downs:

Make sure you're setting the engine power appropriately for your phase of flight. If you're running around at max throttle you're always going to be speeding up and you'll never be able to take your hands off the stick.

Pick a power setting, leave it there. Hold the nose still with stick pressure and wait for airspeed to stabilize. If your trim is way out of whack to begin with, then it's fine to initially trim in large amounts first to get yourself kinda close, then use the stick to hold it steady. Then, trim until you no longer need to put any force on the stick to keep the nose in the same place. Once you get it close, it takes more precision to trim it properly, and you'll never get it perfect. You should be able to trim a climb/descent/level off enough that you can remove your hand from the stick for several seconds without any change in altitude. Minor adjustments will always be necessary due to the unstable nature of the air you're flying through and the small oscillations that develop from literally every moving part on the airplane. That's why autopilots are so helpful.

Make sure your trim controls are in an easy to reach place. You'll be doing a lot of it if the aircraft you're flying doesn't auto-trim for you. You can get an airplane pretty drat stable in calm air, but you still need to fly it, just like you don't take your hands off the wheel in a car on a straight road. Yeah it's driving straight, but small deviations happen and you're always correcting to keep yourself in your lane.

The Ferret King fucked around with this message at 17:32 on Oct 10, 2016

hogmartin
Mar 27, 2007

That was great, thanks. That's one of the skills like VOR navigation that I never really bothered to master in sims in favor of GPS and autopilot.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

hogmartin posted:

That was great, thanks. That's one of the skills like VOR navigation that I never really bothered to master in sims in favor of GPS and autopilot.

Same here. I usually just bump and trudge my way up to 1000 feet or so and then chuck on the autopilot and let it handle the rest of the flight :(

cool new Metroid game
Oct 7, 2009

hail satan

You ain't flying unless you're navigating by following roads, rivers, power lines or by a spot of dead reckoning. :colbert:

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe
If you shell out for a couple hundred worth if ORBX stuff that actually becomes possible and fun.

concise
Aug 31, 2004

Ain't much to do
'round here.

EvilJoven posted:

If you shell out for a couple hundred worth if ORBX stuff that actually becomes possible and fun an excellent training aid.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit
Trim never feels right in sims because there's no control pressure with regards to what the plane is doing, don't feel bad about about struggling with it.

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

I can't quite put my finger on it, but something doesn't seem right here:

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

OH wait! I overshot the parking mark! :doh:

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Aahhhh triggered I am having Jetstream flashbacks

FEATHER PROPS FEATHER PROPS

lobsterminator
Oct 16, 2012

Carth Dookie posted:

I can't quite put my finger on it, but something doesn't seem right here:

Yeah you really need to follow the checklist. Start the engine first, THEN open the fuel line.
Also after you take off keep a close eye on your engine temperatures or you'll set fire to them at that point.
Those are pretty much the only tricky parts to look out for.

lobsterminator fucked around with this message at 07:58 on Oct 11, 2016

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

algebra testes posted:

Aahhhh triggered I am having Jetstream flashbacks

FEATHER PROPS FEATHER PROPS

Actually that wasn't the problem. The picture you see above was a deliberate blow up after I figured out what was causing it. Basically what was happening was that I would turn on the fuel boosts for each engine on, turn the ignition on for the right engine, and then use the switch on my HOTAS to push the fuel levers forward, feeding fuel into the engine. Now my HOTAS switch pushed both fuel levers forward at the same time. So the right engine would start just fine because it was drip fed fuel into an engine with an active igition, but it would also spew a poo poo load of fuel into the left engine before the left ignition was on. So when I switched the ignition to the left, it would go up like Krakatoa. So that picture was me successfully testing a proof of concept. :jeb: :science:

tl;dr use the mouse to push the fuel levers forward one at a time because the game simulator won't let you independently assign buttons for each lever (at least not within the default in game simulator control management screen. A bit of research shows that people were 3rd partying it with other tools to get it to work, for stuff like that, including getting beta/reverse range into their throttle axis).

I got it up in the air, did a short flight, did a VFR landing on a dirt track 30nmi away and then turned around and came back (aside from an in flight game simulation over for exceeding the aircraft limits in some way while I had my head down. The engines didn't burst into a fireball and the game simulator paused and told me the plane was dead, so my guess is I somehow exceeded the airframe limits without fireballing it because if I'd just bust the engines I'd still have had glide). It feels *really* different from the caravan, and not just because of the complexity of getting the bitch started. You really need to anticipate what you want your throttles to be doing ahead of time and anticipate the colossal, all consuming turbo lag. Maybe it was because I was flying the plane empty, but the loving thing just LEAPS into the air in a really deceptive way that really isn't obvious because it'll happily climb like Raz al Ghul's heir out of that funky prison while the nose is basically level (or at least *looks* level by looking out the window). You really have to keep an eye on the altimeter and vertical climb indicator pretty carefully. That leads me to the autopilot.

The altitude autopilot also is deceptive as poo poo too, in that it is nothing like the Caravan, but seems like it is at first. The altitude height indicator above it isn't linked. All that does is give a warning hoot when you deviate from the desired height by a certain amount. But it LOOKS like the Caravan set up, where you click the altitude autopilot button and then turn the knob to cause the plane to climb or descend to the desired altitude. Not so in the Otter. What happens is that you manually fly to the desired altitude, and then hit the altitude autopilot to hold it at that altitude. It also remembers what altitude you were at when you pushed the button. So if you're dumb like me and push the button while on the ground, you can happily climb to whatever altitude you want, and then when you put your head down, the autopilot will try to achieve the altitude it was at when it was switched on. That is to say; ground level. So if you're not careful you'll plow into the ground like a twin turbo'd Canadian lawn dart. That might be how I killed it in mid air earlier; the air frame gave up before it could hit the ground.

Also for descent? Hahaha get hosed. Once you're in the air; you're staying there unless you somehow conspire to pull it into the ground like I tried to do with the altitude autopilot. Again, my test flight was low weight, but holy poo poo is it hard to get the thing down. Not actually that hard to land per se, but it just generates so much lift, even at very low speed. Those flaps are uncanny. It'll just waft over the runway if you let it.

Got to be honest; compared to the Caravan its much more complicated and quirky, but I actually like it that way. I feel much more involved in the process and not just because the autopilot is more rudimentary. The fact that the engines can catch fire if you don't start them up properly, the finickiness of them in flight, the odd lift and descent characteristics are all part of the charm. It just feels more *real* and detailed because of those flaws/characteristics than the Caravan. I might have to go back to it to see if I can force the engine to explode or catch fire in the Caravan just to see if it was modeled at all. Or if it can even be brought down by ice. The manual for the Otter says that it certainly can.

In many ways, the Otter reminds me of the Mig 21 in DCS; weird flight characteristics, rudimentary feeling controls and old school steam gauges and a propensity for complexity and bursting into flame if you don't handle it just so. I know the Otter is Canadian but when I think of it in the context of the Mig I just get the feeling that its so :ussr:

Its great. I love it. :3:

My only real niggle now is the GPS. I'm having difficulty getting it to give me vectors for landing when I get to an airport, even if I know ahead of time that such vectors exist (because the basic FSX GPS in the Caravan has them). I'm sure I'll work it out when I have time though.

Carth Dookie fucked around with this message at 08:10 on Oct 11, 2016

Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

My problem with the Twotter is I've literally flown Russian airliners with better laid out cockpits.

hogmartin
Mar 27, 2007

hogmartin posted:

1. Install JS41
2. Start engines like any others, hey, it's a plane, w/e
3. Use reverse because pushback is for chumps
4. OH GOD WE ARE ALL ON FIRE WHY ARE WE ALL ON FIRE

PMDG doesn't advertise that add-on for P3D so I don't know if it's compatible, but if you like toasty planes, boy howdy is this one easy to warm up on a cold day.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rI3VPr0CoWc&t=128s

It's a bummer because my favorite planes in FSX are the regional turbo types like the Saab 340 and the Dash series but wow the PMDG JS41 is unforgiving.

hogmartin fucked around with this message at 12:35 on Oct 11, 2016

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
I loving love the J41 it was my gateway drug into spending big bucks on aircraft for this game. I spent so many hours in air hauler flying that thing around canada or whatever.

Even if I spent the first few hours setting my engines on fire.

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck
Multiple engine fires are just a right of passage for flying that airplane.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
When I'm flying the Carenado Grand Caravan, I follow the checklist, but my torque is off the charts and I can't figure out how to bring it back down to sane levels. Throttle doesn't seem to change anything, and my mixture is set to ground idle. :psyduck:

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck
Prop pitch, maybe?

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe

Carth Dookie posted:

Twin Otter stuff

You have the altitude hold wrong, sorta.

If an altitude is dialed in and you hit ALT when you're within I think 1000' of it, it'll hold that altitude. That might be what's plowing you in to the ground, if you're trying to fly by AP from the moment you're off the ground ya that thing is dialed to 0 and it'll divot you.

Outside of that range, it holds your current altitude.

To get it to adjust to another altitude you don't entirely need to do it manually. Dial in a new altitude and then mash the ALT ALERT button. Once that's lit either use IAS hold to hold your current speed and then give it more throttle, resulting in a climb, or use the Attitude hold (knob on the middle of the yoke) to dial in a nose high attitude, which again results in a climb. Once you hit your dialed in altitude the ALT ALERT will turn on, ALT will turn on and you'll be at your new altitude. You did know about that little knob, right? When the AP is flipped on when nothing else is lit on the panel, that's whats flying your airplane.

Also a good descent profile is 15% Torque with the props at 91% RPM It'll result in a roughtly 3 degree downslope.

EDIT: also holy poo poo are you using full flaps in that thing? On a normal landing you use 20 degrees. Full flaps is for insane short field landings.

EvilJoven fucked around with this message at 15:13 on Oct 11, 2016

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

Thanks for the tips, especially about that knob in the middle of the yoke. Some of what you'd said I'd since discovered from other sources, but that was new.

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe
XP11 looks like it will have missions and an actual UI and poo poo

http://imgur.com/gallery/V8Tr0

hohum
Mar 17, 2010

umoms.

hogmartin posted:

PMDG doesn't advertise that add-on for P3D so I don't know if it's compatible, but if you like toasty planes, boy howdy is this one easy to warm up on a cold day.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rI3VPr0CoWc&t=128s

It's a bummer because my favorite planes in FSX are the regional turbo types like the Saab 340 and the Dash series but wow the PMDG JS41 is unforgiving.

If you fly jets, there's temptation to slam on those reversers the moment your nose touches pavement.

hohum fucked around with this message at 03:24 on Oct 12, 2016

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit
Anybody know anything about this new mystery GEPlugin for X-Plane?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CjKpuTnva-A

http://www.piloten-hamburg.de/downloads.html

cool new Metroid game
Oct 7, 2009

hail satan

GOOD TIMES ON METH posted:

XP11 looks like it will have missions and an actual UI and poo poo

http://imgur.com/gallery/V8Tr0
wow that UI actually looks somewhat modern

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.
I wonder if it'll have vr support

Sebastian Flyte
Jun 27, 2003

Golly

Colonial Air Force posted:

I wonder if it'll have vr support

I saw a YouTube video a while ago (but can't find it now...) where Austin Meyer tried FSX with an Oculus Rift, and he wasn't exactly enthusiastic about the experience.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.
Well you need 90FPS don't you? That's not easy to do in FSX.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
God help me I want a PMDG 737, with FS2Crew

I was going to take a hop from LAX to Honolulu, but realized I don't know how to fly any planes that can travel ~2000nm :downs:

lobsterminator
Oct 16, 2012

COOL CORN posted:

God help me I want a PMDG 737, with FS2Crew

I was going to take a hop from LAX to Honolulu, but realized I don't know how to fly any planes that can travel ~2000nm :downs:

As someone who went pretty much through the same progression as you last year, I really recommend you to learn the Majestic Q400 before you hop on to jets.
I personally prefer the Q400 over 737 in general. It has more character and I like the user interface in the Q400 panels.

Q400 also has FS2Crew if you want it.

Sebastian Flyte
Jun 27, 2003

Golly

Colonial Air Force posted:

Well you need 90FPS don't you? That's not easy to do in FSX.

Oculus Rift has Asynchronous Timewarp, which helps a bit to compensate for lower frame rates than 90 by using the 3D depth data in each frame to create intermediate frames.

I've tried Prepar3D with Oculus Rift and Flyinside, where the frame rate was rarely above 45 and often lower than 30, but with Asynchronous Timewarp the frame rate was mostly Good Enough (definitely not perfect, but not bad and annoying).

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

drat XPlane is nice
Do they sell upgrades, so if XP10 went on sale and I grabbed it I could upgrade to XP11 for $20 or something.. or is it buy full new version?
I now have a PC that can run XP instead of FSX the FSX scenery sucks balls compared to XP.. but I'll wait for a bit.

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe
New purchases of XP10 come with XP11 per their website:

http://www.x-plane.com/desktop/buy-it/

But I assume that is just buying it full price digitally off their website now. You don't get a key having the serial from buying an old boxed copy of ebay or something.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Sweet thanks.. I"ll put it on my list, I've got enough expensive hobbies right now we'll see if the budget allows a $60 XP purchase

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

GOOD TIMES ON METH posted:

New purchases of XP10 come with XP11 per their website:

http://www.x-plane.com/desktop/buy-it/

But I assume that is just buying it full price digitally off their website now. You don't get a key having the serial from buying an old boxed copy of ebay or something.

Note - the Steam version DOES NOT include a free upgrade. Only the version from the XP website.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

yeah I saw that. it clearly states on the stie.. buy here get XP11.. Here's other ways to get it but you're not getting XP11.

Edit: also FUCKIT.. I'm buying it, I"m an impulsive MFer.. and need to flightsim with netflix. Bye FSX it's been nice.
It'll be ready in 4-5 hours.. because why not get all scenery

tater_salad fucked around with this message at 15:30 on Oct 12, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe
On the subject of XP, there has been some METAR interpolation stuff that has been coming out the past year that is pretty cool. Like this for example: http://www.venturasky.com/features/calibrated-sky/

Does Active Sky for FSX have a similar thing? I remember reading somewhere about how it avoids different weather suddenly popping in but can't remember the details