Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Rhyno posted:

Had to call the cops on a dude today who would not stop referring to Falcon and Black Panther as the N-word. He wouldn't stop and wouldn't leave but you bet you rear end the cops dragged him out of the store!

:stonk:

I mean, okay, I can expect a racist rear end in a top hat would say those words about those characters, but how can a guy be socially deaf enough to not shut up the first time people get upset? Crazy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

WickedHate posted:

I mean, okay, I can expect a racist rear end in a top hat would say those words about those characters, but how can a guy be socially deaf enough to not shut up the first time people get upset? Crazy.

One of the cops who showed up was black so it got pretty hilarious from there. Especially with my going "SAY THAT WORD NOW."

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Rhyno posted:

Had to call the cops on a dude today who would not stop referring to Falcon and Black Panther as the N-word. He wouldn't stop and wouldn't leave but you bet you rear end the cops dragged him out of the store!

Good gently caress that guy

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING

WickedHate posted:

I had to remove an old woman from the liquor store once because she would not stop throwing around said word. It was mostly for her protection, because while she was sober, the three large dudes were not, and they were not thrilled. I am pretty sure that she followed one of them out of the lot and after that, the death wish was on her.

Anyway my point is that poo poo happens and some people just do not care who hears.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Rhyno posted:

Especially with my going "SAY THAT WORD NOW."
I've never wanted video of anything more.

redbackground fucked around with this message at 15:47 on Oct 11, 2016

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
Kinda want a cherry Pepsi.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

well, Peter David has apologised for his statement.

joehonkie
Jan 12, 2006

I'm a member of STARS.

Yvonmukluk posted:

well, Peter David has apologised for his statement.

Oh god. The comments. Never read the comments.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

That is, no shade, the absolute best apology from somebody who did a dumb racist thing that I've ever read. He actually looked into it and concluded he was being a dumb racist just believing whatever other dumb racist people said. Kudos to him.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

purple death ray posted:

That is, no shade, the absolute best apology from somebody who did a dumb racist thing that I've ever read. He actually looked into it and concluded he was being a dumb racist just believing whatever other dumb racist people said. Kudos to him.

Yeah, this is awesome. Pleasant surprise.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Not as bad, but at my shop we were talking about Suicide Squad, and I mentioned the people running the DC films are idiots. As casual as can be, he goes "There are a lot of idiots out there. There's people who support Hillary Clinton." I told him to shut up with that poo poo, because he says the stupidest poo poo all the time.

Examples: Looking like your typical middle aged nerd, he says the younger generation is a bunch of pussies. That Pokémon Go players obviously haven't read 1984. Chuck Dixon retweeted his political article, etc;

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Open Marriage Night posted:

That Pokémon Go players obviously haven't read 1984.

He's Situationism?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Open Marriage Night posted:

Not as bad, but at my shop we were talking about Suicide Squad, and I mentioned the people running the DC films are idiots. As casual as can be, he goes "There are a lot of idiots out there. There's people who support Hillary Clinton." I told him to shut up with that poo poo, because he says the stupidest poo poo all the time.

Examples: Looking like your typical middle aged nerd, he says the younger generation is a bunch of pussies. That Pokémon Go players obviously haven't read 1984. Chuck Dixon retweeted his political article, etc;

Is Chuck Dixon a known poo poo head?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Skwirl posted:

I don't know if I would call him a shithead, though he does lean pretty far to the right and says the sorts of things you would expect a right-winger to say on topics of diversity.

EDIT: Different topic:

https://twitter.com/KurtBusiek/status/785937901137690626

And in case it gets edited:

quote:

About the Author
John Byrne is distinguished professor of energy and climate policy and director of the Center for Energy and Environmental Policy (CEEP) at the University of Delaware. He is also chairman of the board of the Foundation for Renewable Energy and Environment. He has contributed since 1992 to Working Group III of the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change (IPCC), and shares the 2007 Nobel Peace Prize with the panel's authors. He is editor of Transaction's book series Energy and Environmental Policy.

Endless Mike fucked around with this message at 21:21 on Oct 11, 2016

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I was wondering earlier, whatever happened to the notorious Pat Lee (a.k.a. Michiyamenotehi Funana) of DreamWave infamy?

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
Wasn't it Chuck Dixon that said some really gross poo poo about gay people? Or am I mixing him up with Chuck Austen?

Wheat Loaf posted:

I was wondering earlier, whatever happened to the notorious Pat Lee (a.k.a. Michiyamenotehi Funana) of DreamWave infamy?

Never heard of this. Cliffs notes?

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

El Gallinero Gros posted:

Wasn't it Chuck Dixon that said some really gross poo poo about gay people? Or am I mixing him up with Chuck Austen?

I believe former Justice League artist Mike S. Miller is meant to have said some bad stuff about gay people (he has previously claimed to have been "pinklisted" by DC for his opinions on the matter). I don't know if Dixon has said anything, but he's very open about his conservatism and his Christian faith, so he could well have done. I know for a fact he complained about Mia Dearden being HIV positive because he didn't think it was appropriate for a superhero comic, but that's all I know.

quote:

Never heard of this. Cliffs notes?

It's all here.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Wheat Loaf posted:

I believe former Justice League artist Mike S. Miller is meant to have said some bad stuff about gay people (he has previously claimed to have been "pinklisted" by DC for his opinions on the matter). I don't know if Dixon has said anything, but he's very open about his conservatism and his Christian faith, so he could well have done. I know for a fact he complained about Mia Dearden being HIV positive because he didn't think it was appropriate for a superhero comic, but that's all I know.

It's all here.

Real piece of work, that Pat Lee.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
we should make a list of creators that have problematic views to avoid them.

I'll start:
Alan Moore
Steve Ditko

joehonkie
Jan 12, 2006

I'm a member of STARS.
I always thought Ditko's brand of Objectivism was more hilariously naive than problematic.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
Steve Ditko is to Objectiveism as Worf is to Klingons. He's a noble true believer in the ideals in a sea of assholes.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
Speaking on behalf of Ben Grimm when I say have an easy fast tonight Jewish goons

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Might be easier to ask which white male creators aren't problematic

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

I'm imagining Ben Grimm and Kitty Pryde observing Yom Kippur and that might be the single funniest loving mental image I've ever had.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Lick! The! Whisk! posted:

I'm imagining Ben Grimm and Kitty Pryde observing Yom Kippur and that might be the single funniest loving mental image I've ever had.

Not all Jewish superheroes know each other, racist.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Lick! The! Whisk! posted:

Not that but close

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

WickedHate posted:

Steve Ditko is to Objectiveism as Worf is to Klingons. He's a noble true believer in the ideals in a sea of assholes.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

I didn't say he was right. He just honestly believes his point of view is the best philosophy for society, in contrast to other objectivists who are purely of the gently caress you got mine school of thought.

Although I gotta say, as someone who's family has struggled several times with getting disability and stuff, the guy getting kicked in the pit for not being needy enough sort of rings true, though that's more a result of people opposed to welfare making requirements more and more strict and probably not what Ditko intended.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Skwirl posted:

He used to refer to Devin Greyson as a See you next tuesday.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

WickedHate posted:

Not all Jewish superheroes know each other, racist.

But I know all Jewish super heroes. Even Shaloman.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

WickedHate posted:

I didn't say he was right. He just honestly believes his point of view is the best philosophy for society, in contrast to other objectivists who are purely of the gently caress you got mine school of thought.

Although I gotta say, as someone who's family has struggled several times with getting disability and stuff, the guy getting kicked in the pit for not being needy enough sort of rings true, though that's more a result of people opposed to welfare making requirements more and more strict and probably not what Ditko intended.

I largely agree with you about Ditko, he has lived his life by his principles and is as kind and ethical as one can possibly expect from an objectivist, but as principled and outright admirable as his actions may be, he still holds some views that are like

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wol70cBLNd8

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
Well, yeah. I'm just saying, whenever someone says "Steve Ditko is an objectivist" there's gotta be an asterisk.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Hey, can anyone give me a recommendation?

My sister (who's about 12) is really currently into Harley Quinn. However she's more into the idea of Harley Quinn than the actual character. She didn't like B:TAS Harley much because she though Harley Quinn was sad and depressing instead of cool and I'm not particularly chomping at the bit to give her Sexy Fun Times Harley Quinn Murders The World.

Is there anything particularly good starring Harley Quinn that is generally fun and enjoyable without being too overt in the pandering or having her murder people randomly? (I know my sister well enough to know she'd dislike the latter part.)

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

No.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
Her appearance in the 66 Batman comic is pretty wholesome and fun. Other than that, though, you're SOL.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
I can tell you that i definitely would not let a 12yo read the current series

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
DC's big push at a female icon, everybody.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Cognitive dissonance is putting this image next to Spider-man's "With great power comes great responsibility".

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

ImpAtom posted:

My sister (who's about 12) is really currently into Harley Quinn. However she's more into the idea of Harley Quinn than the actual character. She didn't like B:TAS Harley much because she though Harley Quinn was sad and depressing instead of cool and I'm not particularly chomping at the bit to give her Sexy Fun Times Harley Quinn Murders The World.

Is there anything particularly good starring Harley Quinn that is generally fun and enjoyable without being too overt in the pandering or having her murder people randomly? (I know my sister well enough to know she'd dislike the latter part.)

Get her Squirrel Girl instead?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

ImpAtom posted:

Unfortunately, outside of the Batmam TAS comics, there really isn't anything she'd be too into. It might be best to get her a different character, maybe the Cassandra Cain Batgirl trades?

• Locked thread