Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ForgedIron
Oct 15, 2013

Deez Nutz

Antivehicular posted:

Gannon Brek, the Witch:

The place you're standing now proves your mom as wrong as she can be: a nexus of power like you've never seen before, and not a goddamn speck of green in sight, unless you count paint. You've never been here before, but now you can't imagine leaving. Just where are you, and how did you find it? The vast wall before you is covered in every color you can imagine, and a few you're not sure you've ever seen before, combining to create one massive design. You step closer and closer, until you can finally touch the fresh paint. What does the design look like, and what happens to you when you touch it?

There's a click, and you look back to find a maintenance hatch open. When you look inside, though, the tunnel beneath is rough-hewn rock, with a single rusty ladder descending. From the bottom of the shaft, you hear a familiar, plaintive voice call your name -- your little sister's. What does she want from you, and how do you know?

What do you do?

--Vidjournal Start--

I was exhausted and hungry and It was a few hours before I needed to be up when I finally found it. I had spent all week searching the abandoned expansion zone, following clues left by Z!

See a couple of months ago I had finally figured out that a certain pattern in Z!’s work was actually a code. I was really worried I was losing it for a while, but the images…. I just KNEW they were trying to tell me something. Just last month I was able to crack it with a huge pile of help from my friend Jakk.

The code seemed to reference other locations. Each location had another of Z!’s works. Each work had more codes to decipher, and now I’m pretty sure I’ve discovered most of Z!’s major works. Now a few of the works have an incomplete reference code. I was able to narrow it down to the expansion zone.

Now the expansion zone is where they expand the tunnel systems. I’m not a geologist so I’m not sure of the why, but they can’t just dig anywhere, and sometimes paths and expansions get abandoned. It’s a fairly active area though so any graffiti gets noticed and cleaned fairly quickly. But then I found the abandoned tunnel.

The tunnel was walled off, but a section in the corner was damaged enough to slip through. Inside the tunnel was raw drilled stone, dusty and forgotten, and an altogether terrible surface to paint on. Dejected I turned to leave, and I saw it.

Painted on the back of the sealing wall was a vortex of color I had never seen before. It was a sphere with three tendrils spiraling outward. Each tendril ending in another sphere that had three tendrils that ended in spheres…. You could follow it down to the individual flecks of spray and it repeated the pattern.

As I was examining it I could smell the sharpness of fresh paint. I hadn’t seen anyone enter, so there was no way this could have been done while I was in the tunnl. Confused I brought up a finger to the paint. As soon as I touched it I felt a huge rush of electric power, then I blacked out.

When I came to I was in an alley near Sector 4. My arm felt like it was on fire, but it was set in a crude splint/cast made from my own torn jumpsuit. As I was checking out my arm I heard a click behind me followed by the soft voice of my sister Kepri. I follow her into what appears to be access tunnel, wondering how she found me. When we stop it becomes clear. The sigils scrawled on the floor are the same ones mother makes her practice.

She needs help casting a spell. A big one….

--End VidJournal--

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kid Blink
Feb 24, 2013

Of course, the whole point of
a Doomsday Machine is lost if
you KEEP IT A SECRET!

quote:

You should be at the Broken Pipe, but you're not. You're leaving school a new way, heading towards a Sector you've never visited before, because you said you'd do somebody a favor. Where are you going, and what favor are you going to do there? For who? Suddenly, a familiar situation overwhelms you: a feeling that your body is wrong. How is this different from most of the times it has happened?

Leaning against a corridor wall, you try to orient yourself again, and you realize you are at a crossroads. There are two hallways branching off of this one. One feels familiar; your old senses tell you that a snare lurks that way, baited with something delightful, something just for you. How do you know? The other is deadly quiet and still, punctuated with the soft sounds of humans doing an unfamiliar task. What is it? Was this where you were supposed to go? And, of course, there's always going back the way you came, towards school and the Broken Pipe, towards breaking a promise.

What do you do?
The dimness of the cold metal corridor might have disturbed or unsettled most people, but to Nyx, it felt safely reassuring. It harkened back to the mild lights of her old life, the shifting colors and stratas that she once was able to view and could still now just bearly remember. Even the smell of the rusty, corrugated metal reminded her fondly of a dark nook in a corridor she was much more familiar with.

And she was not familiar with this one. She had in fact never set foot down this corridor, or even thought about coming to Sector 12-H before last Friday. It was already farther down into Iph city than she would ever normally go, and way too far out of the way for most people to navigate without getting lost. She at least didn’t have much trouble there. Living half her life in a series of hard, claustrophobic tunnels had given her an innate sense of structural layouts. Otherwise she would have never of been able to get home before. Thankfully, it was one of the things that still carried over.

She approaches a small plaque.
Sector 12-H Maintenance Tunnel and Airshaft 2 <-
Sector 12-H Maintenance Tunnel and Bio-synthsis Production ->

Perfect! She had been looking for just this! Now she would be able to get to that farm that Phillip at the Pipe told her about when she had asked him what the thing was Adrian had said he wanted was. Well, had mentioned he wanted. To the air. While he didn’t know she was listening to him as he put together the menu for next week. But! She had promised she was going to start paying him back for letting her stay there and helping her out so much! At least, she had promised herself…

As she walks towards a division in the tunnel, she stops dead in her tracks. With excruciating slowness, a tingle in her abdomen turns into churning pain. “Aaahh! Why? It’s like every muscle in my lower thorax is twisting in on itself” she thinks. The pain is different from anything she has experienced before, not quite the hollow stinging of that horrible hunger, and not like the full soreness from when she fell on the railing. She stands slowly from the curled position she had taken as the pain slowly subsides, and vanishes, only for the awful cramping to return after she has taken not three steps. She pushes her shoulder hard into the metal wall to keep herself from falling over.

As she waits out another cycle, hoping desperately that it will be the last one, she stares deeply into the paths ahead of her. They remain too dimly lit to see more than a couple dozen feet farther into them, but she swears she can see lights spinning and dancing down the path to her left. As the pain subsides for a couple minutes, she continues to stare down the left corridor, feeling entranced. The lights, an inexorable yearning to join them, a scent of freshness and life that feels so out of place in the depths of the city. She should go there. She wants to go there. She might belong there.

DEATH. She snaps her head back, and pulls herself against the wall she leans on, flat against her back. No, danger lies that way. The danger of another’s web, of food left out in the open. Of a smell too sweet. That way lies joy she would never return from. Carcasses she would have hauled away herself later, after what happened. She deliberately stares exclusively down the right corridor as she peels herself away from wall and starts walking.

After a time, she starts to hear a buzzing from farther down the corridor. It grows louder, unmistakable as she continues walking, more cautious than before. This should be correct. Everything she read on the open terminal at school said it was made here. She hears cursing as she approaches a grate to an air duct. She knew it! This has to be it. She pulls at a turn-handle next to the grate to free it, and pushes it upwards, until she can fit in.

“… poo poo, why do my upper thorax muscles hurt so much? They’re barely touching this floor!” She thinks as she crawls though the duct. She tries her best to ignore it as she approaches her goal; another grate further down the duct that is casting light and is the source of what has turned into the very loud buzzing. She pulls at the grate, and luckily it gives way to a gentle push. She crawls out of the air duct and flops ungracefully onto the ground.

As she rights herself, she takes in her surrounds. Rows upon rows of white boxes with open tops span out in front of her; stacked many layers high on shelves throughout a large room. Small yellow insects, ones, she reflects, that she remembers as particularly juicy, buzz busily between the boxes. As she wanders between the rows, marveling at the abundance of food, her eyes fall upon a table holding her prize.

Honey! Perfect! Adrian was saying how rare it is to get at the Pipe! How rare it was period, when he was talking with somebody at the counter one time! He’ll like this a lot! She quickly makes her way to a table table with several bottles when a door on next to table opens. She stops in her tracks as a man covered in a thin orange membrane steps through and spots her.

“What the gently caress! Who the hell are you? Wait why are you not? Oh poo poo!” The man quickly steps into the room he came from and returns holding a small circlet. He forcefully places it on Nyx’s wrist and flips a switch on it, causing her to become covered in the same membrane he is.

“Ok, phew, that’s better. Alright kid, what the heck are you doing here?” Nyx looks down at the bottles of honey on the table.

“I came to get one of these bottles.”

“I-aw geez. Look kid, I know that times are rough and there’s some shortages on stuff but you can’t just steal honey! Lotta work goes into that stuff.”

“Steal?” Nyx asks.

“You can’t just take it. Look, how did you get in here?” Nyx turns and walks carefully back to the airduct. The man quickly closes it as they reach it.

“poo poo. poo poo, poo poo, drat. I was supposed to bolt that thing in place a month ago! If my boss finds out, I’m gonna lose this job. poo poo.” The man looks quickly at the boxes of bees and then back at Nyx.

“Kid, ok, listen. If I give you a bottle of the stuff we would be throwing out anyways, will you promise not to tell anyone about how you got in here? I’m already on thin ice with my supervisor and it will be really bad if I let you out any way but the way you came in.”

“I will not tell anyone.”

“Great, ok great.” The man runs back to the table and retrieves a bottle. He assists Nyx getting back into the duct and retrieves his circlet, before closing the grate and going back to work.

Nyx runs happily back down the corridor holding the bottle carefully under her shirt. She can’t wait to see what Adrian does when she gives him the honey. She pauses briefly when she feels the onset of another bout of that abdominal pain, and waits it out before making her way back to the Pipe.

Sometime later, the man wonders why he told that kid about his problems with his boss. He decides he must just be stressed. Down the hall that Nyx did not go down, a small hole in the Veil starts to close, a scene of flowers and trees vanishing from sight. A small bout of faery laughter can be heard before the hole closes completely.

Tardzilla
Aug 31, 2006

Antivehicular posted:

Killian Moores, the Ghoul:

Work and your own needs kept you late tonight, and you're in one of the commuter trams, crammed full of people. The smell of massed humanity is intoxicating, especially after the night you had. You ate your fill, but why didn't that satisfaction last long? There's one odor that stands out from all the rest, though, and you trace it to a stranger on the tram, innocuous-looking -- until they look up and smile at you. What do you see in them that takes you right back to the Vitae Institute?

"Get off at the next station, sister," the stranger says. "You don't like where this train is going." The feeling of disaster hits you at once, uncomfortable and nostalgic at once. Something very bad is about to happen, and you know what it is. How? The tram's slowing. Soon the doors will open at the next station.

I don't mind late nights, but tonight? Tonight was different. It was hectic. There was more paperwork than usual tonight, and all the people running back and forth made it hard to sneak in a quick snack. I was starving for most of the night, and it wasn't until a few hours later, when things were finally starting to calm down, that I finally managed to get my meal. It was enough to satiate me for the time, but it didn't stop the hunger from slowly creeping back. I spent so long with my stomach empty that it just wanted more.

The trip back didn't help. I'd usually avoid the crowded trams, and wait for the ones with less people, but not tonight. I promised Rosa I'd have dinner with her after work, and I wasn't planning on making her wait any longer. Besides, what am I going to tell her? Sorry, I'm going to have to cancel today. Being around crowds might make me go into a hunger-induced rampage. Oh, right, forgot to mention I eat human flesh now to live.

The tram is crammed full with people, it's hard to move without bumping into somebody every few seconds, and the smell, the smell. To most people, the smell would almost be unbearable, but not to me. After dealing with dead bodies for most of the night, the smell is almost heavenly.

My mind starts to wonder as I get lost in the pleasure. I've been living off of corpses for so long, I'm starting to get tired of it. It's like having the same, bland meal every day. They always taste the same, feel the same, and smell the same, and it never changes. It keeps you going, but you never feel satisfied. All the running around tonight made me even hungrier. I wanted more.

The women in front of me, his skin looks so soft. I've never had soft skin. What would it taste like, I wonder? I just want to reach out, and touch her. I want to feel her skin. I want to slowly peel it away, and savor the taste.

I see a man who is a towering mass of muscles. He's young, probably in his 20s. His skin is probably rough, but what about the meat inside of him? Someone like that must have a healthy amount of meat, enough to sustain me for days.

The old lady sitting down, her skin is rough, and it doesn't look like she has long. Old skin is still better than dead skin, right? Besides, she's old, she's going to pass away eventually, so it would be like I'm doing her a favor.

"Hey, watch it!"

I was snapped out of my hunger trance after one of the passengers bumped into me by accident. I sighed. This was going to be a long trip.

I tried to ignore the smells, but it was hard. There was just too many of them, and it was a struggle to stop myself from almost lost control again. That's when I smelled it. There was one odor that stood out from all the rest, a very familiar smelling one. It was coming from this man, a very ordinary looking one, at that. He was a balding middle-aged man, looked to be about in his late-30s, and nothing about him stood out.

Then he looked at me, and he smiled. But it was a hollow smile, a smile with no real emotions attached to it, and his eyes- his eyes had this cold, uncaring look to them. It took me back, reminded me back when I was in The Vitae Institute, reminded me of the scientists. They were never cruel to me, but they always gave me this look, like I'm nothing more than an lab experiment to them, and this man, whoever he is, is giving me the same type of look they've always given me.

He speaks to me, tells me I should get off at the next station. I was ready to tell him to gently caress off, but before I could, for a brief moment, I swear I saw his eyes change. They became dark, and looking at those dark eyes reminded me of a scene I never wanted to remember; it made me remember my death.

It all came back. I was back in that alley again, knife sticking out my chest. I remembered the pain, the cold, the desperation, all of it. I remember crying and thinking about how much I want to see my sister again, I remember how much I didn't want to die, and I remember the tunnel. The dark, endless tunnel.

I lost control of myself as my body went into total panic. "No! I don't want to go back! Not there! Not there again! I don't want to go back! I don't want to go back! I DON'T WANT TO GO BACK!" All eyes turned on me, the hooded girl screaming incoherently like a maniac.

"Hey, are you okay?" I pushed the concerned onlooker away. I had to get out. I have to get out now. If I don't, I'll be taken back to the dark place. The doors, the doors are opening!

I rushed to the doors as soon as they were opening, pushing the people out of my way, and once I got out, I ran. I just ran, and I kept running, for as far as my legs could take me. I started slowing down a little after the panic started to subside, and I was now standing near a building corner I've never been in. I sat down and curled myself up, burying my face into my knees. I thought nothing would ever frighten me, but I was wrong. The dark place frightens me, more than anything else in this world.

I wanted to cry, I wanted to cry so bad, but I couldn't. My body is incapable of crying.

I apologized to Rosa the next day, told her work was keeping me busy, and the trams were being delayed. Her tone sounded sad when she said, "Maybe next time," and it made me feel worse.

News broke out soon after about the tram I was in. Apparently there was a gas leak that knocked out everybody in the tram, and a few people have gone missing. I don't know if the news has anything to do with the man I saw, but if I was to be honest, I don't want to know. My body is still shaking from last night, and I just don't want to be reminded of that ever again. I just want to try to live my life, with my sister, without ever thinking of the dark place.

Shogeton
Apr 26, 2007

"Little by little the old world crumbled, and not once did the king imagine that some of the pieces might fall on him"

quote:

Peter Portman, the Changeling:

A gateway has opened in front of you. Where were you, and what were you doing? Why should you probably not have been doing it? The sights beyond are indistinct and only half-familiar, but you know them to be your realm, nonetheless. A figure emerges from the gateway -- an ambassador of your Sire's court, dimly remembered, and not entirely fondly. Who are they?

"A gift for you, Prince," says the ambassador. "Courtesy of an old friend. Take it if you like. However, our friend will require a gift in kind if you are to accept." The ambassador pauses, then names the price. It would not be difficult to pay, sheerly in terms of effort, but... What is the price, and why would it harm someone that the Peter Portman persona claims to love? "A day and an hour I give you," says the ambassador. "Bring your gift, or the door closes. It will not open again."

What do you do?

When there is no painting to be done, no interesting movies to see or other amusement to be had, there is one place I frequently visit. There is Sector 23A, a few levels down where I reside. I am not permitted there on account of my age, so the elevator refuses me entrance, but there are emergency stairs, and I know the way. It is where the red lights shine, and vice of all kind, and with all genders allures people. Oh, I do not go there to iflame my own lusts, no. [spoiler]he totally does get some eyefuls though[/spiler] I am mostly there to see the true nature of the humans underneath. To see them stripped bare of their little veneers of dutiful work, and allow themselves to engage in whatever mad whimsy there. And of course, to spot oathbreakers, who are false to their spouses. And most of all, I am forbidden from going there by these people, so naturally that is where I want to go. Of course, I then noticed Mr. Schumacher there. He is not married, so he's no oathbreaker, but, well, I wouldn't want to... endanger the master-student relation with any awkwardness, so I hid in one of the darker alleys, when that portal opened.

The smell of the woods was nostalgic. The longing I feel is a most unwelcome feeling. I have no intention of returning empty handed. The scorn I could not bear. Particularly from such people as stand there.

Guilrada of the Wood's Trails. One of my many, many sisters. She has joined the Wyld Hunt, giving herself more fully to the fury of deepest woods. Whilst I have some scorn for humanity, her disgust for them knows no end. When she seeks them, it is to do wo with the Wyld Hunt and run them through with spear, or turn them red with tooth and claw. She mocked my request to live among the humans as utter foolishness, and predicted I return in disappointment or never return at all. I promised her I should see wilds her Hunt has never been. Yet our ever mercurial sire has both of us as issue, and so siblings we are, and his dictates we both follow. As she is now an ambassador for our sire. A key is handed to me, gleaming silver, and the act of moving seems to change it. Passing through the portal, it turns into an access card, the letters and strip on it moving on it like bubbles in water.

I smile, satisfied with my bounty, yet then the price is named, and I blanch. Almost do I return the gift, but I know better. To scorn a gift is a grievous insult, even if such harsh payment is demanded. Yet this payment makes the gift sour indeed.

Fransesca Horton. My neighbour. And also Peter's childhood friend. And... perhaps mine as well? When he was sick, I know she spent much of the time he was conscious and in pain with him. As true a friend as there has ever been. And even now that Peter Portman is I, she has still been true a friend. I knew some things of the humans and their world. I did come in fully clueless. Yet I lacked much knowledge. Easily explained with the disease I had miraculously recovered from, yet the young know little mercy for those who are different. Parents are bound by duty and nature's dictum to aid their child, yet she, out of nothing but her heart's kindness stayed by my side even as I occasionally made a fool of myself, defended me from mockery, until finally I knew enough so I did not have to care of others. Never have I spoken an unkind word to her. Never have I tolerated an unkind deed to her. Peter Portman, both the former and I, the current, played a game on her. A simple hand held console, an old relic from landing on this planet, handed down by respective parents. Many an hour was lost in adventure between those two consoles. A symbol of that connection, of her freely given time to me, of the good times we had.

And I was to give mine. No reason given, for Faery rarely bothered with reason. I doubted, I hestiated, holding the cards as if to choose scorning the faery above losing that. Yet than Guilrada mocks. "Already so soft and caring for human's masses and their cheap toys? Surely I'll win the bet, and never will you return."

Pride stung, I reply quickly that it shall be done, and the words cannot be taken back. A day and an hour.

I use that day to play with her one last time. She wonders if there is something wrong with me and I deny it. The next day, I enact my part of the agreement, and coat my face in indifference. Guilrada's chagrin at seeming to be proven wrong is ill a balm for the pain I feel.

Deals with faery often trap the unwary. Never was I supposed to be one trapped! How now will I tell this to Fransesca?

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Antivehicular posted:

:siren: Four days to get your apps in, if you're still working! :siren:

"Questions," Round 2, Part 2

Tybalt "Ty" Ward-Lawson, the Neighbor:

You're having that nightmare again: the one where you're dying, in the exact way you know you'll die. Just what's happening, and how are you dimly aware this is a dream?

It's Sector Six again. I've read the reports so many times that I'm just going to live them until I don't. The fissure running perpendicular to corridor A535, the prefab grating giving way due to corrosion and microvibration, dumping a ragged, approximately 3-meter-cubed section of hallway down into what amounts to an open vat of sludge. The jagged metal catches on my environment suit, tearing it a hole the length of my forearm, and I'm bleeding. Your suit fills feet-first, in situations like these, dragging you down even faster. It takes more than two hands to hold the rip in the fabric closed. The water gets in, carrying the radioactive silt. The dirt will be what kills me. Particulate matter. A bloody wound---hell, my whole body---soaking in cold radioactive mud. I can't swim, I'm still trapped in the steel wreckage of the hallway. My oxygen apparatus will continue to operate long after I've been irradiated so badly that I won't even be allowed a funeral. My corpse will be listed as an unrecoverable asset.

quote:

However, this time you're not alone. It's not just the faceless co-victims of your normal dreams; this one is someone you recognize. Who?

Junebug Schect, the preacher's daughter, my next-door neighbor when I was eight. Her family got transferred to a different division that year. I've seen her since then, but in here, she's still eight. The sludge is up to my neck, and fills my suit to my waist and more. It's cold. Colder than you'd think, but that's my body shutting down.

quote:

"I can stop this," your -- friend? Fellow traveler? -- says. "We can stop this together. I just need you to believe me." They lean in and whisper an unspeakable secret into your ear. What do they say?

"This isn't your blood, but it will be on your hands. Again."

quote:

"C'mon, Ty. You can do this. Just trust me." Why is it a terrible idea to trust them? Why is it a terrible idea not to?

The orange-brown mud rises up over my head, and I can still see her in the fishbowl reflection of my helmet's collar-mount LEDs. There is no hope down here. There is no call to drag an innocent down into death. But...what if this isn't what's meant to happen? To save myself, will someone else have to die?

quote:

Meanwhile, doom bears down on you -- you have perhaps ten seconds to make your decision and act. What do you do?

I'm raising my hand, reaching for anything to climb, to grab onto, to cling to. All it gets me are some scraped knuckles and an early wake-up call when I smack the shelving unit above my bed, and stir myself awake in a frantic sweat. Cold sweat. Just like every night.

e:

hexwren fucked around with this message at 12:28 on Oct 9, 2016

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

Okay, so after spending most of Sunday agonizing about picks, I've made my decisions. Here's the cast of Iphigenia's Children:

Eve Smith, the Avatar, played by Ferrosol
Kieran Stone, the Succubus, played by Frgrbrgr
Elton Purchase, the Daemon, played by Toph Bei Fong
Ellen Motova, the Mortal, played by Tricky
Killian Moores, the Ghoul, played by Tardzilla
Peter Portman, the Changeling, played by Shogeton
Tybalt "Ty" Ward-Lawson, the Neighbor, played by Allen Wren

For those who were not accepted, please don't take it personally; I had way too many great apps, and I strongly considered doing two threads so I could accept more of them, but I feel like one game of 7 PCs is about my limit. If we have dropouts, you guys will have first shots at filling in.

For accepted players: there's a basic string sheet here. Feel free to start hashing out backstories, and once that's done, we can get to highlights and seating chart.

Frgrbrgr
Jan 20, 2009

• Peter desperately needs your help. Take a String on them.

All Peter can ever talk about is some ancient gaming console - I guess he had one a while back and now doesn't? Shouldn't be too hard to find, right? Right?

• Ty refused to come to you for help in the past. Give them a String.

I just don't know what it is with that guy. I heard somewhere that he came from some other colony - and that something really bad happened there. So I try to be nice to him anytime I see him. But he just shrugs it off and ignores me. I can tell that he needs a friend, but I dunno... maybe that guy is just cursed.

Frgrbrgr fucked around with this message at 18:35 on Oct 11, 2016

Tricky
Jun 12, 2007

after a great meal i like to lie on the ground and feel like garbage

• Killian is your true love.

Man, what can I say about Killian? Well, for one thing, she's so great and caring! I mean, yeah, there's the whole cold and standoffish bit, but once you get past that she's just so sweet. She's told me a lot about the stuff she's been going through with her sister. I get that. You know, kind of. Don't exactly have any family myself. Well, outside of Sparks. And he's kind of my boss, so I'm not sure that really counts.

What drew us together? Hm, that's a good question. Destiny? Fate? It was like I could almost hear her crying out for someone to talk to one day in class. So I did. And, let me tell you, those first few attempts did not go well. She's got some grade-A barriers. That's OK -- I can get a little stubborn when I put my mind to something, hehe. I talked to her -- at her, for the most part -- every day in class for like two weeks. Finally, one day, she just opened up! I totally empathize with how she feels. Who doesn't feel trapped here? I told her some of the things I've been going through too. I don't really think they stack up, but a few of my stories got her to crack a smile! Ok, ok, maybe it was just the corner of her mouth, but that counts too. We ditched out of the rest of class and I took her to the window in Sector 1-C. We sat there for a few hours, just staring out into the starry sky and talking about nothing. Just being us. And you know what? That was amazing. It was everything I had ever wanted, everything I had been missing. We've been dating ever since.

Sometimes I get the feeling that she's still holding something back, but I'm not going to pry. I want her to tell me when she's ready. It's not like her face opens up and tentacles come out, right? That might be a dealbreaker, haha, but I can't imagine what she feels like she needs to hide.

Tricky fucked around with this message at 17:26 on Oct 13, 2016

Tardzilla
Aug 31, 2006

• Ellen reminded you what love was, when you thought that death had stolen it away from you forever. Give them 2 Strings.

I try to stop people from getting too close to me. I don't want anybody to find out that I'm actually a monster in human skin, I don't want them to be afraid of me, and I don't want them to get hurt because of me. I never wanted this to happen.

I never wanted to fall in love.

Her name is Ellen. It was the day after my little... panic incident. Ellen came to me, and started talking to me. Maybe she saw how much I was shaking and she was concerned? I don't know. I tried to brush her off, to ignore her, like I do with almost everybody else, but she kept persisting until I-I broke. She tore through the wall I put around myself, and all the repressed emotions came bursting right out. I still couldn't cry, but it felt like I was. I told her about my sister, and all the guilt I was feeling, about the loneliness, about how trapped I feel, and about how scared I am of dying. I didn't tell her about me being undead, or how I need to eat flesh to live, how could I?

We've been together ever since. No matter how much I try, I keep going back to her. She makes me forget about the loneliness, and the hunger- being around her is the one of the few times I can forget about the hunger.

It scares me. What if she finds out about what I really am? I don't want to lose her. I don't think I could ever forgive myself if I ever did anything to hurt her.

• Eve watched me die. We both gain 2 Strings on each other.

One thing I've never expected to happen is to die and come back as a flesh-eating zombie that likes eating brains. The second thing I never expected to happen is for somebody to come up to me, asked me why I'm still alive, and give me a statistics chance. Eve is a weird one, and that's coming from me. I gave her a BS excuse, told her she got the wrong girl, but she's been giving me these looks ever since. It's the same, cold calculating look the scientists gave me. At least she's not going around telling everybody what happened, but still, I have to be careful with what I say around her, just in case.

Interested in

I think the Daemon backstory, the one about knowing a secret about someone, might work with Killian considering the circumstances that caused her to turn, but that's up to Toph if they're okay with it.

Tardzilla fucked around with this message at 15:36 on Oct 13, 2016

Tricky
Jun 12, 2007

I'd be interested in either of Killian's backgrounds.

Ferrosol
Nov 8, 2010

Notorious J.A.M

My Backstory

quote:

You owe debts. Give away 3 Strings, divided any way you like between the dark power and the other characters.

I needed a verigraphed ID to go along with my transfer papers to my new school to properly authorise my transfer. Unfortunately those are not just difficult to obtain but nearly impossible to forge. Even for an AI of my talents. However word did reach me of one Kieran Stone who apparently can obtain anything. Lacking any other option I approached him to see about obtaining such an ID. He said he'd get right on it. A few hours later I received a message from him saying that my ID was ready. How could he get one so fast? and it looked genuine. Either he was a really talented forger or he knew someone who made the real thing. I didn't ask questions. When I tried to pay him for his help. He said instead that I could "owe him one" One what? I do not know. But I am intrigued to find out.

To avoid a repeat of the communications difficulties that had plagued me earlier I realised I needed a signal booster. Such devices are rare in the colonies but I enquired none the less and my search lead me to one Ty no other name given. Who thanks to his access was able to obtain one for him. He didn't seem to care what I wanted one for but I do feel like I am in his debt. Especially if the signal booster really does prevent any more interference between myself and this body.

quote:

You’ve been taking your social cues from someone, and doing so has taught you a lot about them. Gain 2 Strings on them.

I have been observing one Ellen Motava for quite some time now. I had already accessed much of your media to see how portrays teenagers as preparation for this role. Yet it soon became clear how inadequate my research was. What is displayed in your media and what I see first hand in the teenage subculture which I am now a part of are two very different things. As such I have had to make a number of changes in order to blend in. I have been using Ellen as the model for these changes as she is a human female of the same apparent age as this body, and seems to have carved out a distinct niche in the ecoystem of this colonies culture. So far she has taught me a great deal about how I am supposed to behave from observing her. I have also learnt a great deal about her. She is clearly in search of something and well I hope she finds whatever she is looking for.

Backstories I'm interested in.

quote:

Did anyone watch you die, or watch you come back to life? If so, you both gain 2 Strings on each other.

Not long after I stepped off the ship that transported me here and I was exploring the local terrain as I had noticed several anomalies between local maps and the maps I had brought with me of the colony. One of these anomaly led me to a passageway adjacent to a local enterprise for leisure activities. That's when I witnessed the stabbing of an unidentified female. I would have regarded it as just one more statistic in the soaring crime rate that exists on this colony. However several days later I met the same girl one Killian Moores and she was clearly not dead. Far from it she was still alive. I approached her curiously and asked "Why are you still alive? Stabbings of that type are fatal in 99.99% of cases." She denied ever being stabbed and dying. Yet I am sure I saw her expire after being attacked. Either my memory is defective or there is something unusual about her. It is the only reasonable explanation for the data I have. I will need to investigate further.

quote:

Someone trusts your wisdom. Take a String on them.

Peter has been a great help with ??? fluff to come later

quote:

You live next to someone; your bedroom windows face. Choose:
-you leave your blinds up while you change, each gain 2 Strings on one another.

You remember how I explained I obtained a signal boosting device? Well not long after I encountered Mr Ty in the communal showers. I have never understood this human concept of modesty. I have been observed constantly from my creation and it does not bother me. Neither it seemed did it bother him because he occupied the shower stall opposite and proceeded to disrobe and bathe in front of me. I covertly observed him showering as this is the first time I have seen a male human body in the flesh so to speak and it was interesting to see in a way that looking at electronic records of one could not be. He seemed to spend a great deal of time trying to pretend he was not watching me shower but I could see he was observing me. Not that I object of course. I have been observed since my "birth" and one more observer is not going to make much difference.

Ferrosol fucked around with this message at 18:54 on Oct 11, 2016

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Ferrosol posted:

Backstorys I'm interested in.

I'd quite like the Neighbours watching each other change Backstory assuming it's ok with Allen

quote:

* You live next to someone; your bedroom windows face. Choose:
-you watch them through the blinds and they've noticed, each gain 1 String on one another;
-you leave your blinds up while you change, each gain 2 Strings on one another.

That's fine. I'm not entirely sure how that one works when you're all living in pods/housing units/etc. Also, I'm not sure about the wording here, is it specifically just Ty perving on Eve and not vice-versa? Give me some thoughts on the matter vis-a-vis windows and such and we can sort out the strings.

Frgrbrgr posted:

Kieran Stone
  • Somebody refused to come to you for help in the past. Give them a String.

This could probably be anybody that is closed off or would dislike Kieran for some reason.
Ding ding ding.

In related news,

quote:

* You made out with someone a while ago. Gain a String on them and give them 2 Strings on you

Ty made out with someone. Who?

Shogeton
Apr 26, 2007

"Little by little the old world crumbled, and not once did the king imagine that some of the pieces might fall on him"

quote:

Especially on Romance, Peter is always EAGER to give advice, the best advice, it's amazing. Eve Smith should totally come to him for advice. If she'd like that.

quote:

You embarrassed someone in front of everybody. Give them a Condition and two Strings on you.

For this I was thinking of Elton Purchase. Him being the son of colonial management makes him a clear target for Peter's resentment, and the fact that he's clearly among the ones with most to lose by public embarassment. A possibility that occured to me is that they were assigned together for a project. Peter is very much an underachiever with little real interest in all these things, but gets away with some things because 'he's been really sick for a long time, and hasn't been the same since' so it was expected that Elton would compensate. Peter then would have actually worked really hard to make something that would actually look really good and profesionnal and generally put serious effort in it. Of course, he'd also have made a 'joke' part. So when it was time to present their work and Elton was all feeling good, the whole thing turned into a farce, getting a lot of laughs, but being something of a 'mark against' Elton, even if some people now thing he 'does have a sense of humour'.

Ferrosol
Nov 8, 2010

Notorious J.A.M

Allen Wren posted:

That's fine. I'm not entirely sure how that one works when you're all living in pods/housing units/etc. Also, I'm not sure about the wording here, is it specifically just Ty perving on Eve and not vice-versa? Give me some thoughts on the matter vis-a-vis windows and such and we can sort out the strings.

Hmm I always read it as they were both perving on each other. Or at least that they were aware of you perving and didn't care. In this case I would say it's the latter. Eve just wouldn't care right now if someone was watching her when she was changing so I'd be up for the two strings option. As for the windows situation maybe Ty's been using his access to the electrical systems to do some unauthorised hacking and "just happened" to hack into the internal security camera in Eve's room. Of course given Eves semi-benevolent AI guardian she probably knows about it but doesn't care if she's been watched. Because why should she? she's been watched all her "life". One more person isn't going to make a difference.

Shogeton posted:

quote:

Especially on Romance, Peter is always EAGER to give advice, the best advice, it's amazing. Eve Smith should totally come to him for advice. If she'd like that.

God this is such a terrible idea I love it.

Ferrosol fucked around with this message at 12:30 on Oct 10, 2016

Frgrbrgr
Jan 20, 2009

Ferrosol posted:

[*]You owe debts. Give away 3 Strings, divided any way you like between the dark power and the other characters.

Kieran can have helped with something.

Tricky
Jun 12, 2007

Ferrosol posted:

You’ve been taking your social cues from someone, and doing so has taught you a lot about them. Gain 2 Strings on them.

I'd be interested in grabbing this one. Ellen's such a normal girl! Who wouldn't follow her lead?

Toph Bei Fong
Feb 29, 2008

Tardzilla posted:

Interested in

I think the Daemon backstory, the one about knowing a secret about someone, might work with Killian considering the circumstances that caused her to turn, but that's up to Toph if they're okay with it.

Sounds good to me!

Shogeton posted:

For this I was thinking of Elton Purchase. Him being the son of colonial management makes him a clear target for Peter's resentment, and the fact that he's clearly among the ones with most to lose by public embarassment. A possibility that occured to me is that they were assigned together for a project. Peter is very much an underachiever with little real interest in all these things, but gets away with some things because 'he's been really sick for a long time, and hasn't been the same since' so it was expected that Elton would compensate. Peter then would have actually worked really hard to make something that would actually look really good and profesionnal and generally put serious effort in it. Of course, he'd also have made a 'joke' part. So when it was time to present their work and Elton was all feeling good, the whole thing turned into a farce, getting a lot of laughs, but being something of a 'mark against' Elton, even if some people now thing he 'does have a sense of humour'.

This is great!

quote:

Someone surprised you by asking you out on a date. Each of you takes a String on the other.

Pick one of your obligations; the MC will detail an urgent crisis you have to deal with.

So, who's asked out a busy daemon?

Tricky
Jun 12, 2007

Ellen is always down for some romantic shenanigans. Date request mid-welding?

Edit: Though if she's with Killian now, that would probably have been some time in the past.

Tricky fucked around with this message at 01:37 on Oct 11, 2016

Shogeton
Apr 26, 2007

Toph Bei Fong posted:

This is great!

I figure one of the potential gags he might have had was that it was a work about overpopulation, and while Peter prepared a thing with really effective, serious, boring tax credits for families smaller than x children, subsidized birth control, etc. etc. at the presentation, it was suddenly all about making Iphigenia a much gayer place, with all kinds of very serious stats and solutions and graphs, but all about convincing people that same sex pairings were good and in and to at least give it a try.

Allen Wren posted:

In related news,

Ty made out with someone. Who?

Peter might have done it. If only to start stuff, to provoke people, or because he can sense that Ty is also looking for something new and enchanting, and the doomed aspect about him appeals to Peter. But he's mercurial, so who knows whether it really means something? And well, Peter definitely acts unique, so maybe Ty thinks he can find something there?

As second thought. While Peter can be a bit of a firestarter, he prefers to be audience then participant, so he does not get in the middle of the things himself. So it could very well be that Ty took the initiative, and Peter is a bit shook because of that, since he likes to be the one who starts all the messes.

Shogeton fucked around with this message at 01:43 on Oct 11, 2016

Frgrbrgr
Jan 20, 2009

Toph Bei Fong posted:

So, who's asked out a busy daemon?

Kieran would, if you're up for exploring that. Kieran's connection with Councilwoman Barker would have given them a chance to meet before Kieran suddenly showed up at school, so Elton would be one of the only people he knows.

Frgrbrgr posted:

Kieran can have helped with something.

Ferrosol, for this, maybe Eve needed help registering for school for ~not a person~ reasons and Kieran ran it through Barker?

Frgrbrgr fucked around with this message at 01:59 on Oct 11, 2016

Shogeton
Apr 26, 2007

Frgrbrgr posted:

• Somebody desperately needs your help. Take a String on them.

Anybody need a favor? Kieran is known to have connections at city hall through Mrs. Barker - a popular town council member.

A bargain was made and followed, but it was ill-made indeed. For a cord that opened many doors, I now fear one will close. Fransesca does not know yet, I've managed to find excuses for the games, but I have not long. Part of me simply wants to discard her. She's just another human, but even the fair folk cannot live bereft of kindness. Yet there is this one. Kieran is resourceful and clever, and has helped out many a one. Should he do me this favor, and find me another Stargamer 4500, well, I should be grateful indeed.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Shogeton posted:

Peter might have done it. If only to start stuff, to provoke people, or because he can sense that Ty is also looking for something new and enchanting, and the doomed aspect about him appeals to Peter. But he's mercurial, so who knows whether it really means something? And well, Peter definitely acts unique, so maybe Ty thinks he can find something there?

As second thought. While Peter can be a bit of a firestarter, he prefers to be audience then participant, so he does not get in the middle of the things himself. So it could very well be that Ty took the initiative, and Peter is a bit shook because of that, since he likes to be the one who starts all the messes.

Ty, when he's not busy wallowing in his own self-inflicted miseries, is certainly not above taking advantage of a moment and distracting himself with hot makeouts. Youths, amirite? Book it, done.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

So, hey, I decided to get all MODERN and create a Discord: https://discord.gg/4fWFWXP

IRC is still fine, but this seems like a good option too, so hop in.

Shogeton
Apr 26, 2007

Allen Wren posted:

Ty, when he's not busy wallowing in his own self-inflicted miseries, is certainly not above taking advantage of a moment and distracting himself with hot makeouts. Youths, amirite? Book it, done.

Sounds good. Who do you want to be the initiative taker? I kind of dig the idea that the one who so likes to start fires and messes just got totally blindsided by Ty at one point.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Shogeton posted:

Sounds good. Who do you want to be the initiative taker? I kind of dig the idea that the one who so likes to start fires and messes just got totally blindsided by Ty at one point.

That is completely what I'm thinking.

Ferrosol posted:

Hmm I always read it as they were both perving on each other. Or at least that they were aware of you perving and didn't care. In this case I would say it's the latter. Eve just wouldn't care right now if someone was watching her when she was changing so I'd be up for the two strings option. As for the windows situation maybe Ty's been using his access to the electrical systems to do some unauthorised hacking and "just happened" to hack into the internal security camera in Eve's room. Of course given Eves semi-benevolent AI guardian she probably knows about it but doesn't care if she's been watched. Because why should she? she's been watched all her "life". One more person isn't going to make a difference.

I actually chatted with Anti a bit on this, what say it's a communal shower/changing room thing? Ty's not so much a computer nerd (any more than anyone else will be in The Future) as a circuits-and-wires guy. We could also go they're both perving on each other, that doesn't bother me at all. Either way, probably two strings both ways.

hexwren fucked around with this message at 03:07 on Oct 11, 2016

Toph Bei Fong
Feb 29, 2008

Frgrbrgr posted:

Kieran would, if you're up for exploring that. Kieran's connection with Councilwoman Barker would have given them a chance to meet before Kieran suddenly showed up at school, so Elton would be one of the only people he knows.

I dig it. It ties in nicely with Peter's ruining of Elton's presentation, also.

Frgrbrgr
Jan 20, 2009

Toph Bei Fong posted:

I dig it. It ties in nicely with Peter's ruining of Elton's presentation, also.

When I first got to school, I was surprised to find Elton there! I mean... I met him a few times when he was much, much younger - and he probably doesn't remember me that well, but I figured I'd reach out. He always works so hard so I figured that it'd be nice to treat him to dinner and hang out afterwards. I only found out afterwards that often that kind of interaction is called a "date" and usually indicates romantic interest. And, while I wouldn't say that I have such an interest in Elton, I will admit that he is quite handsome.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

Sorry this fell dormant -- I've had an incandescently terrible few days. (ASK ME ABOUT MY SHAMBLES OF A LIFE, OR BETTER YET, DON'T)

Let's get started with the seating chart! Fill in one slot with your character, and then one slot with an NPC of your choice, either as mentioned during chargen or new. I'll fill the last two slots once you guys are done.

pre:
[   ] [   ] [   ] [   ]
[   ] [   ] [   ] [   ]
[   ] [   ] [   ] [   ]
[   ] [   ] [   ] [   ]
Once the seating chart's done, we'll do highlights.

Also, since I figure this is as good a time to ask as anything: does anyone have any particular topics or content they don't want to feature in the game? I'd like to start drawing up content boundaries now, before we really start getting going. Don't worry if it seems silly -- just say the word.

Tricky
Jun 12, 2007

pre:
[   ] [   ] [   ] [   ]
[   ] [   ] [   ] [   ]
[   ] [   ] [Ellen] [   ]
[   ] [   ] [   ] [Betsy]

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Tricky posted:

pre:
[Bingo D.] [   ] [   ] [   ]
[   ] [   ] [   ] [Ty]
[   ] [   ] [Ellen] [   ]

Would we want to compile a sort of directory of NPCs, or is that generally not done?

Additionally, I don't have any particular content boundaries worth mentioning.

Toph Bei Fong
Feb 29, 2008

Tricky posted:

pre:
[   ] [   ] [   ] [   ]
[Elton] [   ] [   ] [   ]
[   ] [Noël] [Ellen] [   ]

Noël is the Sargent-at-Arms for the student government. She is prim, proper, and accurate, so much so that people often mock her for being computerized. She takes the best notes in class, though, so if you slack off, it pays to be on her good side.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

Allen Wren posted:

Would we want to compile a sort of directory of NPCs, or is that generally not done?

This is definitely a done thing. I was planning on adding it as an extra sheet on the String Sheet workbook sometime before/around game start, although anyone who feels like they'd like to do it should feel welcome to.

Tardzilla
Aug 31, 2006

quote:

pre:
[Elton] [   ] [   ] [Ty]
[   ] [Noël] [Ellen] [Killian]
[Lucas] [   ] [   ] [Betsy]

I'd usually sit all the way in the back, but, well, Ellen is right there...

Tardzilla fucked around with this message at 05:21 on Oct 17, 2016

Ferrosol
Nov 8, 2010

Notorious J.A.M

pre:
[Elton] [   ] [   ] [Ty]
[Cain   ] [Noël] [Ellen] [Killian]
[Lucas] [   ] [Eve ] [Betsy]
I sit in the rear row the perfect location from which to observe and document my classmates and it has given me the opportunity to further observe Ellen from whom I have already learned a great deal about correct behaviour.

Cain is odd. He appears to be as one with the rest of the students yet there is no electronic records of him held anywhere except for the scanty records found in the school system. He has no birth certificate, no social media presence and his grades are kept at the exact average for a student of his age. It is almost like he doesn't exist outside of this school. Although that would be impossible wouldn't it?

Shogeton
Apr 26, 2007

pre:
[Bingo D.] [   ] [Fei Wan] [   ]
[Elton] [   ] [   ] [Ty]
[Lucas] [  Peter ] [Eve ] [Betsy]
Oh, I sit in the back of course. What the students do is often far more thrilling than any boring things the teachers are speaking of. Also, close to Even to dispense sage advice of course, with Lucas on the other side who can spin the most wonderful tales. Fei Wan, the mousy, quiet girl who is friends with Robert Philips, who I convinced to publicly confess his love for Louis Bannon with some faery charm, much to the displeasure of Louis' current partner Marie Paulson.

Frgrbrgr
Jan 20, 2009
pre:
[Bingo D.] [Rhoswen] [Fei Wan] [   ]
[Elton] [Kieran] [   ] [Ty]
I showed up pretty late on the first day, but luckily, there was a seat right next to Elton available! I figured sitting next to him was as safe a move as any - though I can't wait to get to know the rest of the class better!

Rhoswen is a beautiful and quiet girl that mostly keeps to herself. The way her hair falls down on the back of her chair is really fascinating - it distracts me often. I'm trying to work up the will to talk to her.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Toph Bei Fong posted:

Sargent-at-Arms for the student government.

wait what the gently caress does this mean

Toph Bei Fong
Feb 29, 2008

Allen Wren posted:

wait what the gently caress does this mean

The Sargent at Arms is responsible for maintaining security, order, and decorum during meetings.

In ye olden dayes, they would literally beat folks if they spoke out of turn, drag folks out screaming at the whim of the king, etc. Nowadays, even in modern governments, they'll carry around big ceremonial maces as a reminder of what the position used to entail.

It's a more dignified position today, involving no actual violence. Instead, they are called upon to help enforce the directives of the chair, calling out someone speaking improperly, raising their voice, insulting another member of the student council, and dealing with breaches of etiquette. They are often also in charge of any funds collected before they are passed over to the treasurer, greet visitors, and take care of other sundry details.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Toph Bei Fong posted:

The Sargent at Arms is responsible for maintaining security, order, and decorum during meetings.

In ye olden dayes, they would literally beat folks if they spoke out of turn, drag folks out screaming at the whim of the king, etc. Nowadays, even in modern governments, they'll carry around big ceremonial maces as a reminder of what the position used to entail.

It's a more dignified position today, involving no actual violence. Instead, they are called upon to help enforce the directives of the chair, calling out someone speaking improperly, raising their voice, insulting another member of the student council, and dealing with breaches of etiquette. They are often also in charge of any funds collected before they are passed over to the treasurer, greet visitors, and take care of other sundry details.

student governments have these?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

Allen Wren posted:

student governments have these?

This student government clearly does. Maybe that's a little weird.

Anyway:

pre:
[Bingo D.] [Rhoswen] [Fei Wan] [Joel]
[Elton] [Kieran] [Kefilwe] [Ty]
Joel Nash is the archetypal teacher's pet -- an even sadder role than ever at a school where the teachers are present as video streams most of the time. Rumor has it he lost his parents when he was little, but nobody's cared enough to ask.

Kefilwe Batlharo is an unremarkable student in the classroom, but she's got some sort of high-status voc-ed assignment, which she doesn't talk about. She leaves school a period early for it, though.

--

Highlights time!
Ellen highlights Killian
Killian highlights Eve
Eve highlights Ty
Ty highlights Kieran
Kieran highlights Elton
Elton highlights Peter
Peter highlights Ellen

Once all highlights are done, we can get this party started.

• Locked thread