Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Kevlar v2.0 posted:

Arrieta was 28 when he made his big turnaround, not 36.
Randy Johnson had his best seasons from 35-39. RA Dickey had a career year at 37, when he appeared to master a new kind of knuckleball despite having been a knuckleballer for like 5+ years at that point. Baseball is weird and pitchers are especially weird. Again, these are the kinds of stories that make baseball special.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pancakes
May 21, 2001

Crypto-Rump Roast

Kevlar v2.0 posted:

Only if his middle name is "Darth" or "Master"

Joseph, sadly. I mean, maybe I can yell "Harrison Bader WINSBURG" if he hits a home run or something. I'm trying, at least.

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

Niwrad posted:

2019 is when a new local TV deal kicks in. They're probably looking at $250 million a year at the very least from that. Their current deal I believe is around $60-70 million. This is a team that can easily get up to the $200 million payroll mark at that point.
The new tv deal is one of the reasons I'm hoping the Ricketts will be willing to continue to spend (and spend more).

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Tonight, Julio Urias will become the youngest pitcher ever to start a postseason game at 20 years and 68 days old. Instead of arguing about how bad the Cubs and their posters are, lets argue about Urias' brilliant pickoff move. It's not a balk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-NR8tZz_758
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GS67g_kbMu8

Urias pitched 77 innings in MLB this year. He led baseball in pickoffs with 6, one more than the 5 home runs he allowed.

:getin:

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
I'm contractually obligate to hate pitchers to begin with, but double gently caress that balk (it's a balk) pick off move.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

If it's a balk then why hasn't he been called for a balk yet? :smug:

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

bawfuls posted:

Randy Johnson had his best seasons from 35-39. RA Dickey had a career year at 37, when he appeared to master a new kind of knuckleball despite having been a knuckleballer for like 5+ years at that point. Baseball is weird and pitchers are especially weird. Again, these are the kinds of stories that make baseball special.

What makes all those special is that they're the exceptions. Way more players get worse at age 36 than better. You're far more likely to be able to turn things around at age 28, especially after being traded from a team that wouldn't let you throw your best pitch. Rich Hill is an anomaly, and good for him to be able to do what so many others in his situation couldn't, but it hurts a lot more to be shut out by an exception than by the guy who's been clearly the best pitcher in the majors for the past 5 years.

Dr. Fraiser Chain
May 18, 2004

Redlining my shit posting machine

It's a balk

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer

bawfuls posted:

If it's a balk then why hasn't he been called for a balk yet? :smug:

Because umpires are terrible people and no one ever calls balks. It seems the only pre-requisite is if you do it a whole bunch then it's ok.

DeepDickPizza
Oct 11, 2012

THREE TIME! THREE TIME!
The Cubs are going to hit 5 home runs off of Urias and also all of his "pickoff attempts" will be called the balks that they rightfully deserve to be.

And can everyone stop dissecting the future Cubs lineups, please? Because the saddest thing to me if the Cubs don't win this year is that Dexter Fowler won't be on the WS winning team that occurs in the next few years.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

The first Villar one looks like a balk.

That said, I love Urias and he is cool and good.

That also said, I hope the Cubs light him up.

Inspector_666 fucked around with this message at 18:28 on Oct 19, 2016

patonthebach
Aug 22, 2016

by R. Guyovich

Tender Bender posted:

I said, I wish I could go back in time, and put some money on the Dodgers!

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Inspector_666 posted:

I was going to suggest the JDF16 Foundation but I guess it's so new that there's nothing concrete about what they actually fund at this point.

I was thinking Reviving Baseball in Inner Cities for a baseball related thing but RAINN's cool too. Whatever he wants to do really.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
I'll do $5 for every hit the Cubs get for the rest of the NLCS to the Brain Aneurysm Foundation :toxx:

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Poque posted:

I'll do $5 for every hit the Cubs get for the rest of the NLCS to the Brain Aneurysm Foundation :toxx:

Is the irony here that all the Cubs posters will have aneurysms after they get shutout the next two games?

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

Poque posted:

I'll do at least $20, maybe more, for every run they score to a domestic abuse group to help in aiding my conscious also that we have Chapman. :toxx:

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...
I'm kind of hoping the cubs don't make the world series for one reason: no matter which al team makes it, win or lose, the story will be about the cubs. Indians haven't won a world series in 70 years? But those poor cubs fans.....

Nothing personal, I'd be happy for their fans (unless they beat Cleveland), but the bandwagon is going to worse than the red sox if they go all the way.

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

TMMadman posted:

Is the irony here that all the Cubs posters will have aneurysms after they get shutout the next two games?

Maybe don't be an insensitive clod about a charity with personal significance to him

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text

Kevlar v2.0 posted:

Arrieta was 28 when he made his big turnaround, not 36.

Made his big turn around and then turned right back around again.

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

Thom P. Tiers posted:

Made his big turn around and then turned right back around again.

Scott Boras will demand he pitches well in 2017, as it's his last year before free agency.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

TMMadman posted:

Haha that is a bit ironic.

My dad was a big baseball fan and passed awhile back to an aneurysm. He's responsible for getting me into baseball. But he was a Red Sox and Giants fan and didn't live long enough to see his son become a filthy Northsider.

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Kevlar v2.0 posted:

Maybe don't be an insensitive clod about a charity with personal significance to him

I didn't know it was personal to him. :(

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

TMMadman posted:

I wasn't offended! It was a good zing. :)

TheChaosPath
Jul 22, 2005

TMMadman posted:

Obscurely specific ones are usually a strong sign, but I'm pretty sure everyone here knows where they're posting

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Poque posted:

Haha that is a bit ironic.

My dad was a big baseball fan and passed awhile back to an aneurysm. He's responsible for getting me into baseball. But he was a Red Sox and Giants fan and didn't live long enough to see his son become a filthy Northsider.

Rock on. And since I'm a jerk, I'll donate 50 bucks to it regardless of how many hits the Cubs get.

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

Poque posted:

I wasn't offended! It was a good zing. :)

okay good, sorry if I got all :nyd: about it

Dr. Fraiser Chain
May 18, 2004

Redlining my shit posting machine

If the cubs win the WS I'll donate 100 bux to a charity dedicated to the study of Priaprism. I'll donate to an actual charity for cool poo poo. :toxx:

patonthebach
Aug 22, 2016

by R. Guyovich

Popete posted:

Because umpires are terrible people and no one ever calls balks. It seems the only pre-requisite is if you do it a whole bunch then it's ok.

Balks are one of the worst enforced/understood by officials calls in all of sports. The spirit of the rule is any deception move is a balk. So almost all pickoff plays are balks. But a certain amount of 20 pitchers or so that are known for sneaky pickoff plays are allowed because of reputation. Also, anytime a no name pitcher does a decent pickoff move they are called for a balk, regardless of foot position or anything. Its a terribly enforced rule.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

patonthebach posted:

Balks are one of the worst enforced/understood by officials calls in all of sports. The spirit of the rule is any deception move is a balk. So almost all pickoff plays are balks. But a certain amount of 20 pitchers or so that are known for sneaky pickoff plays are allowed because of reputation. Also, anytime a no name pitcher does a decent pickoff move they are called for a balk, regardless of foot position or anything. Its a terribly enforced rule.
Yes this explains perfectly why a 20 year old rookie led the league in pickoffs and wasn't called for a balk once this season.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=73KskRjqWLw

EDIT: It is waaaay too hard to find video of Parker's windup given how ridiculous it is.

Inspector_666 fucked around with this message at 19:22 on Oct 19, 2016

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain

Goodpancakes posted:

After the cubs win the series you'll find some of these cubs posters slowly fade away from the franchise, and search instead for the next great loser to follow into oblivion.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Niwrad posted:

That stuff will help but the TV deal is still big money. Even if they are sharing 34% of it. They are looking conservatively at a $150 million jump in revenue after sharing. I'm also basing this on $250 million which is much lower than the Dodgers TV deal.

I think you (and the Cubs) are being overly optimistic about the new TV deal. The RSN bubble has been imploding for a couple of years already, and by the time the rights come up in three years, it's going to be in even worse shape. This is why the NFL rushed to get ten-year deals signed a year or two ago, because they knew the money wasn't going to be there when negotiating to re-up after a five-year term.

Scob
Jul 17, 2005

actually baseball is still pretty popular in local markets and the cubs will clean up.

edit: you also need to look at the stations are buying 145ish games. so for 145 days they have 6 hours of programing in addition to all the bullshit shows they make centered around the team. its not really comparable to the nfl.

Scob fucked around with this message at 19:44 on Oct 19, 2016

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Cubs posters, you can all relax. Bill Plaschke is now on board the Dodgers bandwagon

https://twitter.com/McCulloughTimes/status/788813691558899712

InnercityGriot
Dec 31, 2008
gently caress Bill Plaschke, I almost want the Dodgers to lose now to spite him, but not really.

patonthebach
Aug 22, 2016

by R. Guyovich

bawfuls posted:

Yes this explains perfectly why a 20 year old rookie led the league in pickoffs and wasn't called for a balk once this season.

Hey, Im glad for the kid, he has a great pickoff move. I dont think that changes my point that balks are not enforced well in MLB, and many umpires vary on what they will call, and some players get away (or penalized) based on reputation. Wasn't it Buerhle had a clear balk move that was never called? Or the other way around?

edit: Also Urias's move on Harper was 1000% a balk.

New Concept Hole
Oct 10, 2012

東方動的
Balks are poorly defined and both pitchers and umps don't have a clear definition of what a balk is. This goes double for lefties.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Scob posted:

actually baseball is still pretty popular in local markets and the cubs will clean up.

It was literally two years ago that the Astros' RSN completely fell over on its face, and the Dodgers can't get carriage anywhere other than Time Warner (which I guess is now Charter). Tom Ricketts and Crane Kenney have been saying all along that the Cubs' long-term template is for something like YES, and they're deluding themselves if they think that's going to happen. It's a simple matter of economics: Cord-cutting isn't going away, there's a ceiling at which pay operators just can't keep on increasing rates, which means they won't pay exorbitant carriage fees. It's the same reason ESPN is cutting billions from its budget.

Timby fucked around with this message at 20:36 on Oct 19, 2016

weird Asian candy
Aug 23, 2005

Ask me about how my football team's success determines my self worth, and how I wish I lived in New Orleans.
So say by some wild stretch of the imagination the Cubs actually score some runs and win tonight. Is it completely retarded to save Lester for game 6 and trot some sacrificial lamb out there for game 5 for the Kershaw gods?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

beejay
Apr 7, 2002

Yeah that is indeed completely retarded.

• Locked thread