Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DangerZoneDelux
Jul 26, 2006

JayKay posted:

Are you sure? All articles I've seen say the Verizon sold Pixels will not be boot loader unlocked. Only the Google Store ones will be.

From here http://www.pcmag.com/review/348519/google-pixel-xl

Section right above conclusions. Everything posted before was speculation without anyone confirming it. Of course they could be wrong in that article as well

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

It's not really even a 'finally'. The only thing different about the Nexus 6 that Verizon sold was the elevated price and silkscreened Verizon logo on the back. Otherwise, it was a pure device.

Xegaus
Sep 27, 2006
King of nothing!
Any opinions on the Moto Z Play Droid? I'm coming from a Moto X Gen 2 and the battery life seems pretty appealing. The mods are neat but not really a factor in why I want this phone (battery and cost). As long as its decent for playing music on the Google Play app, Youtube and general web usage, I'll be happy.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

It feels good to be able to say this finally for Verizon.

There are three devices for purchase at Verizon that are worth your dollars. iPhone, Pixel, and Pixel XL.

Otherwise, just buy a cheapie $150 G4 play as a disposable phone or a closeout Nexus 5x.

bull3964 fucked around with this message at 16:34 on Oct 19, 2016

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

The Pixel is a sexy phone. Camera is pretty nice, really fast, and I like the fingerprint reader on the back. Way nicer than the Note 7.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

kensei posted:

The Pixel is a sexy phone. Camera is pretty nice, really fast, and I like the fingerprint reader on the back. Way nicer than the Note 7.

At this point anything that doesn't explode into a poisonous gray smoke is nicer than a Note 7.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

kensei posted:

Does it have a daytime bright screen? That's one feature of the note 7 I consider killer.

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

PerrineClostermann posted:

Does it have a daytime bright screen? That's one feature of the note 7 I consider killer.

I'm in Oregon, so I'm not sure yet LOL

mcpringles
Jan 26, 2004

Anyone know what cheap phones I can use to get the $200 pixel trade in? The phone has to be valued at $1 by Verizon.

PerrineClostermann posted:

IIRC it had an AMOLED screen so likely yes.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

mcpringles posted:

Anyone know what cheap phones I can use to get the $200 pixel trade in? The phone has to be valued at $1 by Verizon.

IIRC it had an AMOLED screen so likely yes.

According to Phone Arena, the Pixel XL has a screen brightness of 433 nits. The Note 7 is 570, 6P is 356, S7 Edge is 493, iPhone 7 is 672.

....We'll see how I like it.

Tenebrous Tourist
Aug 28, 2008

I'm looking into buying a Moto G4 through Amazon but I still owe about $70 on my current phone. What are my options here? Should I just pay off the $70? Is it possible to turn in my existing phone for account credit?

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

Jimmeeee posted:

I'm looking into buying a Moto G4 through Amazon but I still owe about $70 on my current phone. What are my options here? Should I just pay off the $70? Is it possible to turn in my existing phone for account credit?

Pay off the $70. Can't tell you what a trade in value is without knowing the current phone model.

nerox
May 20, 2001
Is the Pixel XL from verizon full of horrible verizon forced bloatware?

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I too am interested in the final verdict for Verizon pixels.

Stan S. Stanman
Nov 18, 2009

Duckman2008 posted:

Pay off the $70. Can't tell you what a trade in value is without knowing the current phone model.

Any idea how that iPhone trade in promotion is affected if you pay the phone off early? Are the credits contingent on keeping the 7 on the monthly installments? I'm still waiting for my credits to show up, so no plans to do anything yet.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

The Verizon Pixels are 100% the same as Google Store Pixels aside from an IMEI enforced bootloader lock.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Stan S. Stanman posted:

Are the credits contingent on keeping the 7 on the monthly installments?
Yep.

Xegaus
Sep 27, 2006
King of nothing!
So I decided on a Pixel over the Moto Z since they estimated in giving me $200 for my Moto X Gen 2 if I got the Pixel. It came with no Verizon branding on the physical device itself, and while it did install some Verizon bloatware, you are able to completely uninstall all of it. Made me pretty happy.

The phone itself is awesome. Its amazingly snappy and I'm really amazed how well the google now/assistant stuff works.

Tenebrous Tourist
Aug 28, 2008

Duckman2008 posted:

Oops, should have mentioned- it's a 2013 Moto X. Thanks!

Sirbloody
Aug 21, 2005

Don't fuck with the Rabbi!
I am thinking of getting rid of my old Droid Turbo, it is starting to show its age with pretty much everything (I bought it back in April of 2014) and I am loving everything I am reading about the Google Pixel but I just have a few questions.

1) I have Unlimited Data if I buy it outright will I lose it (Sorry I have not been keeping up with this).
2) I am moving to Virginia in the next few weeks/months would there be any issues depending on my internet situation in Virginia in swapping over to Project Fi, that is the only reason I have been paying for my UDP is because I do not know my internet situation up there just yet.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

ScarTheKiller posted:

while it did install some Verizon bloatware, you are able to completely uninstall all of it. Made me pretty happy.

It doesn't matter where you buy from in this case. You activate a Verizon SIM, it will install those three apps from the Play Store, doesn't matter if you ordered from Google or not. This is functionally built into Android.

Wickerman
Feb 26, 2007

Boom, mothafucka!

Sirbloody posted:

I am thinking of getting rid of my old Droid Turbo, it is starting to show its age with pretty much everything (I bought it back in April of 2014) and I am loving everything I am reading about the Google Pixel but I just have a few questions.

1) I have Unlimited Data if I buy it outright will I lose it (Sorry I have not been keeping up with this).
2) I am moving to Virginia in the next few weeks/months would there be any issues depending on my internet situation in Virginia in swapping over to Project Fi, that is the only reason I have been paying for my UDP is because I do not know my internet situation up there just yet.

I also have a DT and I've been grappling with whether or not to upgrade now. I think I am going to wait a few more months and see if I can snag a Nexus 6P for around $200 next spring/early summer.

Traxis
Jul 2, 2006

I need a new SIM card to fit my Pixel. Do I need to go to a corporate Verizon store or will any store do it?

comper
Jun 22, 2006
My mom says I'm cool.

Traxis posted:

I need a new SIM card to fit my Pixel. Do I need to go to a corporate Verizon store or will any store do it?

Third party retailer might charge you for it but they can still do it if you don't mind the fee.

mcpringles
Jan 26, 2004

nerox posted:

Is the Pixel XL from verizon full of horrible verizon forced bloatware?

It comes with three apps that can be easily deleted, so no.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
My mom needs a phone but doesn't want to spend a lot. What's the best Verizon-compatible phone I can get for ~$200?

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Motorola G4 Plus of you can swing the extra $50. Otherwise, the Moto G4.

Wickerman
Feb 26, 2007

Boom, mothafucka!
You should be able to pick up a gently used Droid Turbo 2 for ~$240 on Swappa. The G4 is also a decent selection.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
Thanks guys, I'll check out the G4 for her.

Also, man have Verizon's plans gotten cheaper since the last time I looked. They're offering 20 GB/4 lines for 160 these days? What's the catch? It almost makes me want to switch from AT&T for the better coverage.

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

Residency Evil posted:

My mom needs a phone but doesn't want to spend a lot. What's the best Verizon-compatible phone I can get for ~$200?

I have a gently used excellent condition 64GB Droid Turbo with a Diztronic Case. I'd sell it/shipped for that or maybe a little less. PM me if you are interested?

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Residency Evil posted:

Also, man have Verizon's plans gotten cheaper since the last time I looked. They're offering 20 GB/4 lines for 160 these days? What's the catch? It almost makes me want to switch from AT&T for the better coverage.
Who knew competition was a good thing? I think people have been considering the cheaper plans at their competitors, so Verizon's been a bit more aggressive with promotions lately: reversing course on the "Safety Mode" pricing immediately after release, absurd iPhone trade-in values, 20GB/4 lines/$160, etc.

As someone who's stuck with Verizon regardless of pricing/promotions, this has all just been gravy for me.

nerox
May 20, 2001

mcpringles posted:

It comes with three apps that can be easily deleted, so no.

Thanks, I ordered my Pixel XL 128, ship date is 12/2 though :(

Verizon is usually pretty quick on fulfilling orders and give themselves way too much time at least.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

nerox posted:

Thanks, I ordered my Pixel XL 128, ship date is 12/2 though :(

Verizon is usually pretty quick on fulfilling orders and give themselves way too much time at least.

It's a nice trick. Would you rather be surprised about early shipping or upset about a late shipment. :frogbon:

nerox
May 20, 2001

8-bit Miniboss posted:

It's a nice trick. Would you rather be surprised about early shipping or upset about a late shipment. :frogbon:

It's true, lower expectations of the customer and exceed them.

My parents got iphone 7's a week or so ago, they ordered on a Thursday and was quoted 2 weeks later and got them the next tuesday.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Wickerman posted:

You should be able to pick up a gently used Droid Turbo 2 for ~$240 on Swappa. The G4 is also a decent selection.

Dear god don't get a G4. They've been crapping out and have known issues.

Wickerman
Feb 26, 2007

Boom, mothafucka!

Duckman2008 posted:

Dear god don't get a G4. They've been crapping out and have known issues.

What about the G4 Plus though?

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Wickerman posted:

Sorry, I was reading that as the LG G4. Not the Moro G4.

To be clear:

Moto G4: Good.

LG G4: very bad.

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

Wickerman posted:

I have a G4 Plus I got that I like quite a bit.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
So I went to Verizon yesterday to do the whole trade in new phone shenanigans. The iPhone trade in credit got messed up, and they initially gave me $36 instead of $200. I also didn't get the email with the gift card info yet. They told me they would fix it and to stop in today if i didn't get the email. Which I still don't have.

So the trade in and new phone went smoothly. It's just everything after that that broke

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

On the other end of the spectrum, the second phone I mailed in for trade-in, my Mom's iPhone 5, was appraised today and got the full promo value of $400.

Fears unfounded, cool beans. :hellyeah:

• Locked thread