Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

ACES CURE PLANES posted:

No, it's Xenogears. THE Xenogears.

I wouldn't be opposed to Weltall though. And hey, if this one can transform, they can throw in a Weltall-ID too.

This is the stupidest looking god robot ever

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Calaveron posted:

Oh, it's not even in the top ten.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006

ImpAtom posted:

Oh, it's not even in the top ten.

Oh no I remember all of the robots in xenogears and xenogears is the ugliest dumbest of them all

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Calaveron posted:

Oh no I remember all of the robots in xenogears and xenogears is the ugliest dumbest of them all

I mean the top ten dumbest looking god robots.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

Wendell posted:

FFXIII has an angry guy come back to get his vengeance on the party in an epic boss fight where he's in a jet plane or something, and I honestly couldn't remember who he was or what he wanted vengeance for.

I just remembered Jihl existed for some reason. Also Snow's friends.

Randallteal posted:

It also has nicer enemy sprites

That was the FF5 port. For the FF6 one they threw a filter over the old sprites and called it a day.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006

ImpAtom posted:

I mean the top ten dumbest looking god robots.

Hmm, ok, I'm drawing a blank on that because I stopped following anime in like 2009

Gamesfreak13563
Jan 28, 2010

Get ready for a SHAQ DOWN!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FXCLDy_b2jc

Got thru Gizmaluke's. I tried some new motion on the Moogle hint popups, tell me if you notice.

Gamesfreak13563 fucked around with this message at 03:52 on Oct 22, 2016

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Calaveron posted:

It's a great looking god robot. Not top tier though since it doesn't sing/have head wings, can't transform into a rocket punch, and doesn't pop universes just by existing.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
It does run on its own power source that is separate from God, if not superior to, if you think of it as immune to God unplugging it. It supposedly has the power to manipulate events like the Zohar Modifier, so it causes universes to no longer exist or creates new ones using a dice roll.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
Yeah but can it stand on the ground without toppling over

Szurumbur
Feb 17, 2011

Calaveron posted:

Yeah but can it stand on the ground without toppling over

I think it can, but it mostly hovers in mid-air anyway.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon

Panic! at Nabisco posted:

Remote play is good but I am on a lovely Hawaii-connection so the input lag is intense.

Without detailing this thread, if you're remote playing in your own home like from another room, you can at least get a decent connection because it's on your local network. You're boned outside your local network though.

Syrant
Jun 28, 2006
This post is brought to you by: Goat Bouillabaise.

First 9
I have to say I feel XII had the weakest cast of VI+. Fran and Balthier stand out but I barely remember a drat thing about Ashe, Vaan, Panelo, and Bosch aside from names and vague outfits.

And the story is just a fragment about Ashe being a princess. I wondered how the class/job option on the international version might have made things more interesting.

E: And gently caress the Quickenings system.

Syrant fucked around with this message at 11:26 on Oct 22, 2016

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Ashe is a really good FF protag even if Vaan and Penelo are kinda bleh.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 11 hours!
I believe Basch was originally planned to be the protagonist of XII, but they thought they wouldn't really be able to sell a grizzled war-weary soldier as a protagonist*, so they invented Vaan to be the player avatar. It's pretty obvious when you recall that XII's storyline is basically just Star Wars, and Vaan is all the set-dressing stuff about Luke Skywalker while Basch is the stuff about him people actually care about. Also, that Vaan doesn't do poo poo once the actual plot gets rolling.

*I'm sorry, but it's really late, so I can't put together a coy way to just point to Metal Gear here.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Even if it's true I don't like when people bring that up because it's clear from the final product that Ashe is the real main character. Vaan is the viewpoint character, maybe, but anything more misrepresents the game. And also, Vaan actually does have stuff to do later in the game, but it's mostly impacting Ashe's character arc.

Mr. Locke
Jul 28, 2010
Yeah. I dunno Fran can be notable as a character yet actual protagonist/slow-boiling rage machine Ashe slips under the radar. I couldn't even tell you anything about Fran outside 'Is a bunny girl,' 'hates clothes' and 'occasionally freaks out for reasons.' She's the most boring and unnecessary member of the cast outside visual design and this is a cast that includes Penelo.

Vaan is basically Ishmael, except towards the end he transitions over to Arthur Dent, recognizing how nutters everything is getting, how over his head it all is, and finally does a thing, using (un)common sense and empathy to convince Ashe to not repeatedly hit the Armageddon Button like it'd dispense candy. I get why people don't like him (he's the viewpoint character, the 'main' character, but his main purpose is just to be a foil to actual protagonist Ashe) but he's actually kinda important in the long run.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Fran is pretty much the MacGuffn of the group as far as I can tell. Coincidentally goes Berserk to free the party, her 'I left the forest' plot means the party discovers what's up with the Henne Mines, and she can coincidentally read the ancient writings at the Pharos.

Syrant
Jun 28, 2006
This post is brought to you by: Goat Bouillabaise.

First 9
I think I recall Fran so distinctly because she was fairly novel to me and just generally stuck out because she wasn't human. The judges were probably my favorite bit of the game. Their armor kicked rear end.

Mr. Locke
Jul 28, 2010

Syrant posted:

I think I recall Fran so distinctly because she was fairly novel to me and just generally stuck out because she wasn't human. The judges were probably my favorite bit of the game. Their armor kicked rear end.

Yeah, FFXII made the mistake of being set in a world with many different and diverse races and having your party being five humans and an elfbunnygirl. They would have had to change relatively little about the game if they had made, say, Basch a Bangaa and let you recruit Montblanc at some point.

And make Penelo a Seeq or something. Anything to give the girl some flavor beside 'actual useless tagalong kid.'

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Arist posted:

Even if it's true I don't like when people bring that up because it's clear from the final product that Ashe is the real main character. Vaan is the viewpoint character, maybe, but anything more misrepresents the game. And also, Vaan actually does have stuff to do later in the game, but it's mostly impacting Ashe's character arc.

Ashe is not the main character. She joins the party later than everyone else and while she is important to the story that doesn't make her the protagonist.

If Vaan wasn't in the story the protagonist would either be Balthier or Basche. The former is introduced early and could be both a viewpoint character (sky pirate who gets involved in this political bullshit, eventually learns to get over himself) or Basche (framed traitor.) In both cases they are put into the story far before Ashe is. She is the main heroine and that falls into pretty much the same niche as many other main heroines in JRPGs.

This is a relatively common problem with JRPGs in that the main heroine is the one with the plot mojo but is not the main character. (It's also an anime problem where the main character is a boring schlub viewpoint character and the female lead has most of the weight but because they're aiming for 12-18 year old boys she's not the actual lead.)

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 21:33 on Oct 22, 2016

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Mr. Locke posted:

And make Penelo a Seeq or something. Anything to give the girl some flavor beside 'actual useless tagalong kid.'

make penelo a seeq but don't change her sexual tension with larsa

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

ImpAtom posted:

Ashe is not the main character. She joins the party later than everyone else and while she is important to the story that doesn't make her the protagonist.

If Vaan wasn't in the story the protagonist would either be Balthier or Basche. The former is introduced early and could be both a viewpoint character (sky pirate who gets involved in this political bullshit, eventually learns to get over himself) or Basche (framed traitor.) In both cases they are put into the story far before Ashe is. She is the main heroine and that falls into pretty much the same niche as many other main heroines in JRPGs.

This is a relatively common problem with JRPGs in that the main heroine is the one with the plot mojo but is not the main character. (It's also an anime problem where the main character is a boring schlub viewpoint character and the female lead has most of the weight but because they're aiming for 12-18 year old boys she's not the actual lead.)

My post was made under the assumption there's a difference between "protagonist" and "person the plot actually revolves around."

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer
No you guys, Balthier is the leading man.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
vaan should be a moogle

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

it seemed like a good idea at the time

corn in the bible posted:

vaan should be a moogle
It wouldn't change his plot at all and it would get rid of his horrible flat-texture abs!

Pyro Jack
Oct 2, 2016

corn in the bible posted:

vaan should be a moogle

Now I want a Final Fantasy game set in Ivalice where you create your own character solely for the sake of ruining dramatic moments by being a goddamn Moogle. Probably a Moogle in a fancy outfit like a Red Mage or evil-looking armor as a Dark Knight but a Moogle nonetheless.

Legin Noslen
Sep 9, 2004
Fortified with Rhiboflavin

Calaveron posted:

Going to agree with ImpAtom here.
Not even close.

If you put your mind to it and work real hard then maybe, just maybe, one day you will find the stupidest looking god robot ever.
Probably not though, since you're a stupid poo poo for brains who wouldn't know dick even if it jumped up your fat rear end.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!

ImpAtom posted:

Ashe is totally the main character. She is the one the plot completely revolves around. You could take out anyone else in the cast without significantly changing the story, but Ashe is central and integral, the driving force and the decision-maker. It doesn't matter that she was introduced "later" than everyone else; from a story perspective she is A) the first playable character we see in the game, during the opening cutscene, and B) is introduced as a playable character about 3% of the way into the game, which is a totally insignificant amount. Stories with a main character that is not the viewpoint character frequently have them introduced a little ways in; the stories tend to establish the viewpoint character first so you know who you're experiencing the story through.

People like to point to FFX as another example, but that's not the same. Yuna is certainly important, but Tidus is just as important, and is a major driving force and decision maker. The main "antagonist" is more connected to Tidus than Yuna, etc. But in XII, Ashe is literally the only one that matters.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

It wouldn't change his plot at all and it would get rid of his horrible flat-texture abs!

he's super into stealing poo poo and he loves airships and mechanisms and stuff, its perfect

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
The main character of FF12 is Terra.

Kalenn Istarion
Nov 2, 2012

Maybe Senpai will finally notice me now that I've dropped :fivebux: on this snazzy av

bloodychill posted:

Without detailing this thread, if you're remote playing in your own home like from another room, you can at least get a decent connection because it's on your local network. You're boned outside your local network though.

I've remote played from across the continent. I wouldn't want to play a timing sensitive action game but it's pretty solid for most RPGs.

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

it seemed like a good idea at the time
Does remote play work at all if your PS4 is on wifi? It's trouble enough running an ethernet to my computer, getting another one through the ridiculous across-the-house gauntlet to hook up my PS4 is kind of out of the picture

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Schwartzcough posted:

Ashe is totally the main character. She is the one the plot completely revolves around. You could take out anyone else in the cast without significantly changing the story, but Ashe is central and integral, the driving force and the decision-maker. It doesn't matter that she was introduced "later" than everyone else; from a story perspective she is A) the first playable character we see in the game, during the opening cutscene, and B) is introduced as a playable character about 3% of the way into the game, which is a totally insignificant amount. Stories with a main character that is not the viewpoint character frequently have them introduced a little ways in; the stories tend to establish the viewpoint character first so you know who you're experiencing the story through.

You absolutely could not remove Basche from the story without significantly changing it unless you're going so generic that it would be pretty trivial to provide examples of other games where the blatant main character doesn't count but a side character does I'd argue Balthier a bit more but even then he's pretty central as a driving force. It also ignores that in terms of actual scripting and design Vaan, Balthier and Basche are all given scenes that would go to the main character. (Probably the most blatant and ridiculous is in the endgame where it really should not be Vaan scooping up swords and rejecting villains in places he does.)

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006

Legin Noslen posted:

Going to agree with ImpAtom here.
Not even close.

If you put your mind to it and work real hard then maybe, just maybe, one day you will find the stupidest looking god robot ever.
Probably not though, since you're a stupid poo poo for brains who wouldn't know dick even if it jumped up your fat rear end.

Top of your head, dumber looking robot than Xenogears over here

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Mega64 posted:

The main character of FF12 is Terra.

i'll allow it, terra gets as much character development in ff12 as anyone else

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Calaveron posted:

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006

Still dumber looking

Kalenn Istarion
Nov 2, 2012

Maybe Senpai will finally notice me now that I've dropped :fivebux: on this snazzy av

Does remote play work at all if your PS4 is on wifi? It's trouble enough running an ethernet to my computer, getting another one through the ridiculous across-the-house gauntlet to hook up my PS4 is kind of out of the picture

Yes, but as with remote play generally it depends on the connection. So somewhere with a noisy wifi spectrum or far from the router will struggle, if it's in the same room and a relatively quiet area then it will do better but will likely have a bit more fits and starts than a wired connection.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer

Calaveron posted:

Literally any fal'cie.