Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

El Gallinero Gros posted:

.....wow. Why does Sting continually agree to stuff that makes him look like an idiot?

Sting is likely the least selfish star in wrestling history, even at times it would have been for himself and business to just say 'no'.

Hell, in the Sting dvd that WWE put out, he didn't even really bury Hogan or Nick Patrick for the abomination Starcade 97 was.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

keevo posted:

I think I'm still drunk because I don't get this.

TNA said they mailed out the checks, but instead they just put them in envelopes with postage paid, and never sent them, then claimed the post offices were at fault for the mail not coming through.

Bruce said TNA needed to put stop payments on the checks and write new ones so they could overnight them to the people they owed. So instead of doing that, TNA took the old envelopes they never mailed in the first place, and overnighted them in new packages. Who knows when they would have actually sent them out if Bruce hadn't called them out on it.

Sigma
Aug 24, 2003

Grimey Drawer

keevo posted:

TNA's accounting office cut checks to pay wrestlers, but never sent them out. Though they told Bruce they did, so Bruce thought that they were lost in the mail (or stolen). Bruce then went through the trouble of telling them to notify the bank to stop the original checks and to send new checks out for the wrestlers. When the TNA accounting office got this message, they then just mailed the original checks.

When the wrestlers received the original checks and not the new ones, they figured that Bruce was dicking them around.

It was probably more likely that Dixie knew that the checks would bounce if they were sent out and cashed on time, so she told her people to hold on to them and lie to Bruce in the meantime.

This is how a failing restaurant operates, not a corporation with TV deals.

Source: I've worked for failing restaurants and this is what they all do when the money gets tight.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

keevo posted:

TNA theoretically is supposed to pay people.

Pritchard would send the payroll list to the Panda Energy accountants in Dallas so they can send out the checks.

Accounting sent him a list of who got paid on what check and a bunch of wrestlers never got checks.

The wrestlers don't receive the checks and demands to know where they are after being stiffed.

Bruce deduces fact that this isn't the fault of the post office, but probably TNA accounting and tells accounting to cancel old checks and overnight new ones, so wrestlers can get paid.

TNA accounting promptly sends him the old checks in the stamped envelopes that they were supposed to send out over a month ago just packaged in a Fedex envelope.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Sigma posted:

TNA's accounting office cut checks to pay wrestlers, but never sent them out. Though they told Bruce they did, so Bruce thought that they were lost in the mail (or stolen). Bruce then went through the trouble of telling them to notify the bank to stop the original checks and to send new checks out for the wrestlers. When the TNA accounting office got this message, they then just mailed the original checks.

When the wrestlers received the original checks and not the new ones, they figured that Bruce was dicking them around.

It was probably more likely that Dixie knew that the checks would bounce if they were sent out and cashed on time, so she told her people to hold on to them and lie to Bruce in the meantime.

Source: I've worked for failing restaurants and this is what they all do when the money gets tight.

Pritchard was gone long before the money troubles really started to set in in 2014, so I'm not sure if that would be the case.

Sigma
Aug 24, 2003

Grimey Drawer

exploding mummy posted:

Pritchard was gone long before the money troubles really started to set in in 2014, so I'm not sure if that would be the case.

Haha, so this was just plain incompetence and not money issues. That is even worse

keevo
Jun 16, 2011

:burger:WAKE UP:burger:

Sigma posted:

Ah ok thanks that makes way more sense. Lol what a dumb company.

davidbix
Jun 14, 2016

Wow, Bix. First K.Rool, then Steve and now SEPHIROTH? Your dream game is real!

exploding mummy posted:

There were plenty of cashflow issues before 2014. In 2013, they were still smarting from all of the failed expansion decisions. Multiple people have told me about problems in 2013 this past week or so.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

It's automatically assumed troubles started the year they lost the Spike deal. Before then they at least appeared to overcome every obstacle

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

exploding mummy posted:

Pritchard was one of the people blamed for/used as a scapegoat for some of these issues while he was there.

Big Coffin Hunter
Aug 13, 2005

Wasn't he blamed for issuing checks late because of bad scheduling or something like that?

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Burt Buckle posted:

Dixie strikes me as a person that has never had a hard time or lived paycheck to paycheck in her life.

Pretty sure she left either the last tapings or the ones before that to literally go on safari

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
Or that time she got the penthouse room in a hotel that was literally a castle on the UK tour.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Panda's accounting was loving the wrestlers and leaving Dixie to fall, holy poo poo.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Bigass Moth posted:

Is anybody surprised that Billy Corgan has better lawyers than TNA?
I'm not surprised that a multimillionaire platinum-selling artist has good lawyers, no. If being crazy as poo poo meant not having good lawyers, Scientology wouldn't exist.

Burt Buckle posted:

Dixie strikes me as a person that has never had a hard time or lived paycheck to paycheck in her life.
What about her parents buying her a wrestling company for a quarter of a million dollars gave you that impression?

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

whiteyfats posted:

Sting is likely the least selfish star in wrestling history, even at times it would have been for himself and business to just say 'no'.

Hell, in the Sting dvd that WWE put out, he didn't even really bury Hogan or Nick Patrick for the abomination Starcade 97 was.

It's easier to be unselfish 20 years later. Sting wasn't one of the bigger asses but when he was all pilled up he definitely wasn't one of the most unselfish guys in the business. Especially compared to a guy like The Rock.

super macho dude
Aug 9, 2014

Grendels Dad posted:

Someone loop the TNA ratings gif and set it to Metallica's One.

TNA: Dixie Got Her Gun

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

MassRafTer posted:

It's easier to be unselfish 20 years later. Sting wasn't one of the bigger asses but when he was all pilled up he definitely wasn't one of the most unselfish guys in the business. Especially compared to a guy like The Rock.

In comparison to most of the egos around back then? I say he was.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

whiteyfats posted:

In comparison to most of the egos around back then? I say he was.

He even admits he was a huge rear end in a top hat back then. The guy hung out with Warrior in the 80s and was not well liked early on due to their egos. He was given mega push after mega push and his biggest run ever involved never having to work matches and never have to sell. After that run he promptly took six months off. He was barely ever asked to do jobs where he'd need to be unselfish and during his TNA run was noted for not being motivated at all when he was doing a job. He definitely had unselfish moments, I thought it was cool that he wanted to lose clean to Abyss instead of doing the awful DQ finish and he's a helluva nice guy now. But let's not pretend that before he got clean he wasn't a selfish douche because he definitely could be.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Burt Buckle posted:

dixie has never needed a single cent from anything. she could have never worked a day in her life and been fine. she literally does not understand that money has value. it's the only explanation for TNA.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Endorph posted:

dixie has never needed a single cent from anything. she could have never worked a day in her life and been fine. she literally does not understand that money has value. it's the only explanation for TNA.

I don't know anything about her background but yea I 100% believe this.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
Her family owns a controlling interest in Panda Energy. Her parents are literal billionaires, so no wonder she has no idea what the value of a dollar is.

Perigryn
Oct 22, 2010

TaJaaaaadoruuuuu

MassRafTer posted:

I seem to remember a story where he finally decided to come clean about what goes on the road to his wife...who promptly informed the wives of the other WCW stars and as you can imagine, it probably didn't make him that popular backstage for a while.

Tokyo Sexwale
Jul 30, 2003

MassRafTer posted:

He even admits he was a huge rear end in a top hat back then. The guy hung out with Warrior in the 80s and was not well liked early on due to their egos. He was given mega push after mega push and his biggest run ever involved never having to work matches and never have to sell. After that run he promptly took six months off. He was barely ever asked to do jobs where he'd need to be unselfish and during his TNA run was noted for not being motivated at all when he was doing a job. He definitely had unselfish moments, I thought it was cool that he wanted to lose clean to Abyss instead of doing the awful DQ finish and he's a helluva nice guy now. But let's not pretend that before he got clean he wasn't a selfish douche because he definitely could be.

Pro wrestling seems to be the kind of business where you pretty much have to be - who was actually un-selfish? Anyone other than maybe Ricky Steamboat?

Ghidzilla
May 12, 2009
Undertaker?

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

yeah. undertaker sacrificed a lot

Skinty McEdger
Mar 9, 2008

I have NEVER received the respect I deserve as the leader and founder of The Masterflock, the internet's largest and oldest Christopher Masterpiece fan group in all of history, and I DEMAND that changes. From now on, you will respect Skinty McEdger!

Gonzo McFee posted:

Or that time she got the penthouse room in a hotel that was literally a castle on the UK tour.

*Times. Scotland got additional dates on the tours following her first stay in a castle specifically because she wanted to do so again for longer.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Jason Sextro posted:

Pro wrestling seems to be the kind of business where you pretty much have to be - who was actually un-selfish? Anyone other than maybe Ricky Steamboat?

its basically just Steamboat and Molly Holly

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008
Terry Funk?

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Memento posted:

Her family owns a controlling interest in Panda Energy. Her parents are literal billionaires, so no wonder she has no idea what the value of a dollar is.

Her parents aren't quite that rich and TNA has lost so much money they had to sell off some land to fund the losses before they told Dixie she's on her own. While she didn't know the value of a dollar before TNA, the shell game she has played for years to gently caress people out of as much money as possible shows she does now.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Here's the correct answer. Funk would job to ANYBODY if he thought it would help them.

HulkaMatt
Feb 14, 2006

BIG BICEPS SHOHEI

Ghidzilla posted:

Undertaker?

no way

Vengeance of Pandas
Sep 8, 2008

THE TERRIBLE POST WENT THATAWAY!
What about Foley? Like Funk he was always willing to take some nasty bumps to put other people over.

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs
Terry "Funk U" Funk

DogsInSpace!
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

exploding mummy posted:

its basically just Steamboat and Molly Holly

You never hear bad thing about Percy Pringle/Paul Bearer. Even notoriously grouchy old men have nothing but nice things to say about Mr Bearer. Big Van Vader likes kittens and watching tv in slippers and Bam Bam pulled someone from a car wreck. I want to imagine Sid Justice/Vicious is really nice deep down inside as the one time he tried to kill someone it was with a utensil to clean your windscreen. Maybe he just thought they looked dirty.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Vader could be a real bully, to the point that they made Harley Race his manager because they thought Race could deal with him and command his respect. But everyone also seems to agree that he was only like that because he was so prone to getting his feelings hurt.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Von_Doom posted:

You never hear bad thing about Percy Pringle/Paul Bearer. Even notoriously grouchy old men have nothing but nice things to say about Mr Bearer. Big Van Vader likes kittens and watching tv in slippers and Bam Bam pulled someone from a car wreck. I want to imagine Sid Justice/Vicious is really nice deep down inside as the one time he tried to kill someone it was with a utensil to clean your windscreen. Maybe he just thought they looked dirty.

Isn't there a story going around about Sid visiting schools and encouraging kids to graduate because he never learned to read?

Kaveman
Jul 25, 2009

NEVER!!!

Vader also recently refused to put Will Ospreay over and is still moaning on at him on twitter.

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

Kaveman posted:

Vader also recently refused to put Will Ospreay over and is still moaning on at him on twitter.

vader will be making barely watchable nostalgia appearances into the 2020s, will ospreay's going to break his body into retirement by this time next year. protect the future

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Jason Sextro posted:

Foley?

Admittedly, there is some selfishness there in his refusal to quit doing dumb loving bumps when his family and doctor are both terrified he'll die in the next one.

Edit : I actually expect Foley is a huge part of what keeps Danielson out of the ring. He's got someone who can -show- him what happens if you keep wrestling until you're crippled.

Liquid Communism fucked around with this message at 00:49 on Oct 24, 2016

• Locked thread