Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

Lots of good fruit bat footage this episode. Plus that bat puzzle. They know who their audience is (me, the only one who cares this much about bats).

I really really really want Michaela to go far, she's so much fun to watch

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Spatula City posted:

I'm beginning to think the Millennial alliance won't have numbers going into the merge. If Vanua or Takali lose, they will boot a Millennial. Merge will happen at 13 or 12. Frankly, I don't even think Ika Bula is losing a challenge until the merge, and I also think they're going to merge from 3 tribes to one when the merge happens, rather than going to two first.

At this point it's looking like it's going to break down to Gen Xers + Zeke/Adam vs. rest of the Millenials which really just matches up to that first Millenial vote.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Michaela's hilarious and fun but I can't help but worry that she's setting the stage for some trouble post merge. Bossing Hannah around and openly helping one tribe over another isn't anything that has her in trouble now but that sort of behavior could end up being what costs her. Its an emotional game a lot of times and one little thing can turn someone against you. Even something totally out of her hands like walking in on Jay trying to hide an idol. Not her fault but Jay may one day decide to take her out to protect his idol if the opportunity presents itself. And then he goes all "Hannah, remember how she talks to you" or "Taylor, Figgy would still be here if she hadn't helped the other tribe" and whoops.

I hope not, though. She's a lot of fun.

I also loved Ken and Jessica deadpanning their surprise at Figgy's confession. And Jeff and Ken basically antagonizing them in Tribal. I agree that while FigTails were arrogant idiots they fit that role of the villain you love to see taken down perfectly. Not genuinely bad, just bad enough to laugh at their demise.

The post merge dynamics are going to be interesting now that both original tribes have turned on each other. Michaela/Michelle/Taylor are still thinking "Millenials" and I suspect Jay, Hannah, and Will are as well but Adam and Zeke are thinking about their games and that opens this thing up. If Taylor or Michelle go before the merge then the Millenial Core is down numbers. And those two seem like the likely next lined up victims of their tribes.

If the Millenials want to hold the numbers it MIGHT be in their interests for Michaela's tribe to start throwing comps. Because eliminating Brett AND Sunday pre-merge be the only way to secure those numbers.

I don't actually endorse that move, since that poo poo tends to backfire as dynamics change or if the game doesn't play out like you expect. But there's a certain amount of mathematical sense in it.

STAC Goat fucked around with this message at 07:36 on Oct 27, 2016

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

LET ME EXPLAIN TO YOU WHY YOU ARE WRONG ABOUT EVERYTHING
exactly. If they're sincere about keeping numbers up, Ika Bula has to throw the next challenge. It's legit strategy, and in this case, it makes a lot of sense. I don't really see Jay, Michaela, Will, or Hannah siding with Bret and Sunday.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Its really kind of remarkable how the tribes split. Figgy and Taylor were the exact two wrong people for Adam to end up with and Ken and Jessica were the perfect two to pull him over. Chris and Zeke's football connection and the clear Zeke/David similarities make that tribe kismet and leaves Michelle as the odd woman out. And that leaving Hannah, Michaela, Jay, and Will together to hold the numbers without Zeke/Adam to object or Figgy/Michelle tor drive game some way may end up dooming them post-merge.

Switch one person around on any of these tribes and this poo poo might play out completely differently with the Millenials holding the numbers easily. But as it is that doesn't look like it will happen unless they throw caution to the wind, do the math, and start throwing. And I'm not sure any of those four are proactive/loyal enough to do that without Figgy or Michelle pushing it.

STAC Goat fucked around with this message at 07:49 on Oct 27, 2016

Milovan Drecun
Apr 17, 2007
I masturbate in traffic.
Edit: ^^^Except, if you did swap people around, it might work out exactly the same. Adam swapped with Zeke might still see CC go, since Chris was displeased with her and Dave. Below I already noted it, but breaking up Taylor and Figgy doesn't change much since everyone worked against Adam and Zeke. The biggest difference would be if Zeke and Adam did end up together somewhere. Ultimately, the preswap stuff is what is informing the dynamics of the new tribes, far more than composition of Millennial and Gen-Xer. I agree that maybe Sunday and CC would have a harder time pulling Adam over than Ken and Jess, but that's pretty speculative since we know very little about both of those two.

The arrogance of Taylor was real. That last confessional before trial, he insulted Adam's intelligence and basically dared him to flip.

Adam and Zeke making moves is the least surprising thing, though. Someone suggested Adam wouldn't go against the Millennials if Jay were there, and I call bullshit. Jay was just as integral in putting Adam and Zeke at the bottom as anyone else. Adam has nothing to gain from picking off GenXers. Figtails should have been idol hunting since the merge, but they're idiots so it's not surprising they didn't see Adam ditching them.

Also GenX was less cohesive than the Millennials, it's really not a scary prospect moving forward with them.

Milovan Drecun fucked around with this message at 08:01 on Oct 27, 2016

The Fuzzy Hulk
Nov 22, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT CROSSING THE STREAMS

Great episode. Michaela'a "Hey whatcha got there?" Is still cracking me up. Also Jay calling the ground the "floor" like an idiot was good too. David being unable to follow simple commands like "stop solving the other team's puzzles" or "turn" is hilarious. Michaela explaining to Jeff that if the one tribe couldn't figure out how to vote then they deserve to go home, followed by that actually happening, was just perfect.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Well, I mean yeah, obviously its pure speculation. Anything could work out any way and who knows if it was all fate or what?

But given what we know I think its hard to dismiss the little dynamics that happened post swap. Zeke and Chris bonding over football. Jessica and Ken being the two perfect people to bond with Adam and sell that they were alone too. FigTails being the perfect antagonists to Adam to really make him feel alone where a Jay, Will, Hannah, Michaela, or maybe Michelle might have all been able to make him feel more at ease.

Yeah, maybe that's all window dressing and this would have always played out this way even if you swap Zeke and Adam because they were both unhappy with the Millenials and Chris was always looking to make a move. But I like the story we've gotten, even if it turns out it was just great editing.

Milovan Drecun posted:

Adam and Zeke making moves is the least surprising thing, though. Someone suggested Adam wouldn't go against the Millennials if Jay were there, and I call bullshit. Jay was just as integral in putting Adam and Zeke at the bottom as anyone else. Adam has nothing to gain from picking off GenXers. Figtails should have been idol hunting since the merge, but they're idiots so it's not surprising they didn't see Adam ditching them.

I think there's an argument to be made that if its Figgy, Adam, and Will, Micheala, or Hannah then Adam might be fine sticking with that third and Figgy might feel like the 3rd wheel. Michelle and Jay would be the ones who are closer to Figgy and might make Adam feel like the clear 3rd wheel, but I don't know how much of that is just our perception since we know those four were allied at the start. But for sure FigTails landing together was just the absolute perfect way to make Adam feel like the odd man out and reinforce his position in the original tribe. Just like any two Gen Xers might have been able to pull Adam over strategically but Ken and Jessica were the perfect two to bond with him and make a sincere case that he wasn't just signing on to back of another big alliance.

But, as you said, its all speculative. But I think your approach kind of ignores the social game aspect of Survivor and how just the day to day dynamics can end up being what pushes someone one way or another when they're strategically unsure. Adam didn't seem like he was dead set to go against the Millenials (and again, maybe that was just creative editing but I go with what I've got) but all the FigTails stuff had to help him along.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

The Fuzzy Hulk posted:

Great episode. Michaela'a "Hey whatcha got there?" Is still cracking me up. Also Jay calling the ground the "floor" like an idiot was good too. David being unable to follow simple commands like "stop solving the other team's puzzles" or "turn" is hilarious. Michaela explaining to Jeff that if the one tribe couldn't figure out how to vote then they deserve to go home, followed by that actually happening, was just perfect.

Didn't seem like Michelle was getting enough volume to me. Chris was able to yell loud enough for him to hear.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

:toot:

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
The mock concern on Figgy's face even as she had two votes against her was priceless.

I actually think there is a good player there somewhere although I can't really explain why I think that.

obliriovrons
Jul 18, 2009
Taylor outright stating that he finds Adam to be dumb was pretty rich

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.
By "power couple" they just mean "couple" right? The word "power" is doing absolutely nothing in that term.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

If they're all around by the merge, I can see Ken, Jessica, Zeke, Chris and Adam being a tight thing.

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

I can't wait to entertain you.
I know a lot of it comes down to the edits and how it affects ones perceptions of the Survivors, but it's not too often that the thing you want to happen might actually happen. In this case, the amusing, likeable people manage to come together into a power alliance after being on the bottom of both tribes.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

sportsgenius86 posted:

If they're all around by the merge, I can see Ken, Jessica, Zeke, Chris and Adam being a tight thing.

You forgot Dave. He, Ken, and Jessica are tight thanks to his idol move.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
Gossip talk. Figgy says in her exit interviews that she and Taylor are no longer together.

"Our lives on the island vs real life are completely different. There were things in his real life situation that got in the way of us being together." She continued on to say that she "dodged a bullet."

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
So does he sleep with every girl he meets on the slopes, or what?

Dugong
Mar 18, 2013

I don't know what to do,
I'm going to lose my mind

Ty Adam for keeping Ken in.

MrBuddyLee
Aug 24, 2004
IN DEBUT, I SPEW!!!
Since Probst knew ahead of time which way Adam was voting, doesn't that make his "marriage proposal" schtick extra brutal? He definitely laid that on thicker than usual.

Love me some harsh Probst.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I think Jeff was just playing to the giggling, immature mess that FigTails was. If they weren't so silly they would have laughed off the Jeff thing and it wouldn't have been a huge Tribal discussion that made TV. They drew attention to themselves and acted like silly children and Jeff just road that (and then invited Ken along for the ride).

Jeff's job is to press buttons and apply pressure to try and get people to say and do stupid or damaging things. He wants a crazy Tribal where people blow up their games. Sometimes it just works more obviously than other times.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

MrBuddyLee posted:

Since Probst knew ahead of time which way Adam was voting, doesn't that make his "marriage proposal" schtick extra brutal? He definitely laid that on thicker than usual.

Love me some harsh Probst.

Did I miss something? Why do we think Probst knew?

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
It's his job?

Literally everything that happens on the island is relayed by the cameramen and on-site producers to Jeff so he knows as much as possible to make the right Tribal questions for the best TV.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!

Met posted:

It's his job?

Literally everything that happens on the island is relayed by the cameramen and on-site producers to Jeff so he knows as much as possible to make the right Tribal questions for the best TV.

I don't know if this has changed, but I remember reading him say that it's actually quite the opposite. He needs to go in blind and cold read the idiots to actually call them on their bull. Doing it from the perspective of privileged information actually ruins that.

curiousCat
Sep 23, 2012

Does this look like the face of mercy, kupo?
Holmes: And we’ve come back around to Taylor.
Figueroa: Can I say, “A little bitch”?

sleep with the vicious
Apr 2, 2010

Met posted:

Didn't seem like Michelle was getting enough volume to me. Chris was able to yell loud enough for him to hear.

That's kind of a sexist comment

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Propaganda Machine posted:

I don't know if this has changed, but I remember reading him say that it's actually quite the opposite. He needs to go in blind and cold read the idiots to actually call them on their bull. Doing it from the perspective of privileged information actually ruins that.

I think he lied when he said that, because his job doesn't stop when the show is off.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Probst has always been visibly surprised/shocked at some of the camp life stuff that comes up at tribal/challenges. I don't believe Probst is going into tribal knowing where the alliances lie and how everyone is going to vote.

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

LET ME EXPLAIN TO YOU WHY YOU ARE WRONG ABOUT EVERYTHING
I saw a rumor on Reddit that Taylor was married. lol maybe it was true and Figgy found out when they got back to the US.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

sleep with the vicious posted:

That's kind of a sexist comment

No it isn't? She was yelling. He was missing half of the commands. Chris had her tell him what to yell at him.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!

Met posted:

No it isn't? She was yelling. He was missing half of the commands. Chris had her tell him what to yell at him.

Agreed. That actually stuck out to me as an incredibly intelligent make-it-work teambuilding moment. Clever of Chris to offer, wise of Michelle to accept.

And blue squares, I know what you're saying, but even from Jeff's role as a producer, it's a better show if he has to tease out the horrid details blindly. The payoff when he succeeds eclipses the overproduced prodding you're hinting at there, and it makes Jeff rich, right?

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
I mean, this is Survivor, not RuPaul's Drag Race.

Or rather, not Jeff Probst's Best Friends Race (unless it's an all stars season)

:v:

Sand Monster
Apr 13, 2008

Spatula City posted:

I saw a rumor on Reddit that Taylor was married. lol maybe it was true and Figgy found out when they got back to the US.

I suppose that would certainly qualify for Figgy's "there were things in his real life situation that got in the way of us being together" comment.

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

Taylor got a lady pregnant either while dating Figgy or maybe right before he went off to the island, idk.

Fast Luck fucked around with this message at 19:41 on Oct 28, 2016

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
The glory of finally breaking up FigTails aside, I think the real strategic move was which one of FigTails they removed, and I think it was good that we didn't see them discussing it, because there are two ways of looking at it:

-Figgy's craftier, and has at least some sense of strategy. And considering she and Michelle/Jay are pretty tight, there's danger in leaving her alone once you get to the merge. There's also potential for her to flip to a girls' alliance.

-On the other hand, Taylor is going to be stinging after that betrayal. And he's good in challenges. Adam has pretty much nulled any chances of working with Taylor ever again. Not that Figgy wouldn't be hurt either, but I could her, being more strategic, swallowing her pride and working with Adam again if the situation called for it. If this was a voting bloc strategy, then it would make more sense to boot Taylor if you wanted to try to work with Figgy in the future (and she's a better ally than Taylor), whereas if you had a strong core alliance, it makes more sense to boot Figgy, since he seems to have developed less bonds and his main threat is winning challenges, and immunity runs to the finales are rare.

Either way, it's a good move in terms of the health of this season - aside from getting rid of basically one solid power couple, it can make Taylor a more potentially interesting character to watch going forward.

Bolivar
Aug 20, 2011

Sand Monster posted:

I suppose that would certainly qualify for Figgy's "there were things in his real life situation that got in the way of us being together" comment.

She already said in that post-tribal interview (which is made probably like within an hour of the tribal, right?) that "Figtails is certainly going to be a thing someday, but not anytime soon". In other words, she dumped him as soon as the game was over, leaving Taylor take his vengeance on Adam as if they had something :ughh:

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Bolivar posted:

She already said in that post-tribal interview (which is made probably like within an hour of the tribal, right?) that "Figtails is certainly going to be a thing someday, but not anytime soon". In other words, she dumped him as soon as the game was over, leaving Taylor take his vengeance on Adam as if they had something :ughh:

I took it to mean 'we can't be together because the game and I have no idea how long it'll be before I can see Taylor again', since she was booted pre-jury. I'm not sure if all the people who get booted pre-jury see each other in the holding area.

According to postgame interviews, they dated after the game but that didn't last.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

I hope there is some drama at the reunion with them.

obliriovrons
Jul 18, 2009
I looked into this probably more than I should have and Taylor's child is due next month. He's excited to be a snowboard instructor dad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Robnoxious
Feb 17, 2004

obliriovrons posted:

I looked into this probably more than I should have and Taylor's child is due next month. He's excited to be a snowboard instructor dad.
They've already picked out a name too; Sicky-Sicky-Gnar-Gnar

• Locked thread